VOGONS

First post, by Mrs. Nesbitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to set up a network on my computer, so I bought a PCI ethernet card. A Realtek RTL8139D to be exact. Whenever I install it into a PCI slot, my computer is unable to find my Ensoniq AudioPCI 64 card. I've tried moving the card to other slots but nothing works. Every time I remove the card, the sound card and dial-up modem function exactly as they should. For whatever reason whenever I have the ethernet card plugged in, the computer is unable to find the sound card. Even when I boot into Windows 98, it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it might be an IRQ problem. Do you have a PCI modem or an ISA modem? Or is it on your serial port? (Are you even using that modem..?)

If you're not using your motherboard's onboard serial or parallel ports, you should try disabling them.

Reply 2 of 4, by Mrs. Nesbitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have three cards installed, each of which are PCI. I have a sound card, a dial-up modem, and this ethernet card I'm trying to install now. Both the sound card and the modem came with the computer and work flawlessly.

Reply 3 of 4, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your mainboard have more than 5 PCI slots, do as this

slot order
1=5 don't install both
2=6 don't install both

and one of four slots could be bridged with agp. ;Try to empty one. (234, 134, 124, 123.)

Reply 4 of 4, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have the chance to get a network card with an Intel 82558 / 82559 chip (a Pro/100 or similar), DO IT, seen so many disagreements with Realteks, on machines where the Intel based just drops in and runs. I'd take a used one of those over a brand new 8139 any day.

In Windows 98, bring up the Device manager and view resources by connection - IRQ - see where they are going.
Older PCI systems use "PIC" mode for assigning interrupts, assigning 4 spare interrupts from the ISA pool to the PCI pool, and rotating them between PCI INTA-INTD across the slots.
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/IRQnumbers.asp
If the system has a typical set of devices, there may only be 3 spare, resulting in greater duplication, and while PCI devices are supposed to be ok sharing interrupts, some devices are more ok than others, so BIOS disabling an unused serial or parallel port may help by adding another available IRQ.

Clearing ESCD in BIOS is another possibility, it might reshuffle the resources better when they reconfigure, but can be a pain if you have old ISA PnP devices that need setting by Isa Configuration Utility - they will need resetting.

It's rare, but sometimes you can find an IRQ map in the documentation for the motherboard.
In addition to the PCI cards competing for those IRQs, they also include AGP and USB.
In the most dire cases, you have to deliberately put cards that can share, where they get shared, so the troublemaker gets a resource to itself - in my case I was juggling resources around a SCSI card, and had to move other cards to make sure it got an IRQ to itself.