Vital MF002BR 8-bit sound card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Ground loop isolators shouldn't usually be needed for most setups, even old noisy sound cards. I'd test the card in another system first. If it does it there too, test it on a board outside a case (no metal contact). If it still does it, it may be defective or need cleaning.

I did just that yesterday afternoon and it's the same. What do you mean by "cleaning" the card? It looks clean 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 21 of 28, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2014-04-19, 22:48:

I know its an old thread....
But I have this exact card and if anyone has it or finds hires picture of the card I would like to have a picture.
My card has working fm-synthesis but soundblaster part of the card is not functioning.
When I got the card it was missing 8-bit controller chip from the left corner of the card and the card was in pretty beat up shape.
I found pictures of similar card and ordered P8051AH controller from china, chip seems brand new so it might be a fake.
From my scrap parts I found Dallas DS80C320 witch should be pin compatible with 8051... but as it's from scrap card it might be broken.
Picture from the link has winbond chip, so if anyone has this card or picture of it, I would like to know what exact chip is in this card.

Reply 22 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kekkula wrote on 2023-01-15, 10:38:
I know its an old thread.... But I have this exact card and if anyone has it or finds hires picture of the card I would like to […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote on 2014-04-19, 22:48:

I know its an old thread....
But I have this exact card and if anyone has it or finds hires picture of the card I would like to have a picture.
My card has working fm-synthesis but soundblaster part of the card is not functioning.
When I got the card it was missing 8-bit controller chip from the left corner of the card and the card was in pretty beat up shape.
I found pictures of similar card and ordered P8051AH controller from china, chip seems brand new so it might be a fake.
From my scrap parts I found Dallas DS80C320 witch should be pin compatible with 8051... but as it's from scrap card it might be broken.
Picture from the link has winbond chip, so if anyone has this card or picture of it, I would like to know what exact chip is in this card.

Replacing the microcontroller will not serve you since the microcontroller needs to be programmed for its specific job.
While in some cases that code can be uploaded on a running machine.
I'm certain, that on those old cards, the microcontroller was programmed before soldering it on the board.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 25 of 28, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the firmware attached to the Snark Barker project should work with your J98-MF002BR card. I confirmed a while ago that my J98-MF002 card - a less small version of yours - has the same bits for 99% of the firmware, only a couple of very minor differences like two hex values different.
So if you program a new chip, your card should work again.

Reply 28 of 28, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for bringing it up the thread, but I have this card on my hand for testing and found this thread while doing some research.

I have an old Willem program, do you think it will read the Intel P8051AH chip on it? If yes then I would like to make a copy of it. Thanks.

Update: I'm attaching a copy of the Program I use for dumping and flashing motherboard BIOSes, I'm not familiar with other chips. If someone with more experience could get the program and see what should I select in order to make the backup.

Attachments

• Filename
    setup_pcb5e.exe
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception