VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xenphor wrote:

From what I've read, ALSA should support usb midi devices, at least I hope.

Always check the AlsaProject Matrix for soundcard compatibility for Linux.

A number of Roland/Edirol USB devices work fine in Linux as do the Yamaha MU500, MU1000, and MU2000. 😎

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 22 of 38, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:

And the TG300B is a special variant compared to the official GS option in the EX upgrade. I quite liked the way mine sounded before I did the upgrade to the firmware. I mean, I like the GS sound better with the EX upgrade, but the TG300B had character and I liked it.

According to the known literature, the EX firmware doesn't add anything for GS-compatibility beyond what is/was already available via the TG300B mode. The firmware replaces the "TG300" text with "GS," the "GM Init" initialization text (and presumably the corresponding SysEx) with "GSReset," and adds a GS logo display icon. Perhaps we can compare the output of your EX and my MU100 to hear what these "character" differences you're referring to might be. 😀

The "TG300B" mode, so-named after the original, "GM-B" operational mode of Yamaha's TG300 tone generator, is about as GS-compatible as you can get with Yamaha products - RPN/NRPN usage, SysEx (including the display Dot Data), and the instrument and drum mappings are accounted for, to a large degree. It's worth mentioning that this compatibility corresponds more to the SC-88 (and later, depending on the model) than the SC-55, given the instrument/drum maps and full-range parameter values.

Reply 23 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I have both of the TG-100 (which is beat all to hell and back, but still works like new), and TG-300 midi modules and the TG300B mode on my unpatched MU2000 sounded VERY different from them. Once I upgraded the firmware on the MU2000 to EX, it changed the overall sound of the TG300B mode to something that sounded almost like my SC-55 and SC-55 MkII and the old TG300B just didn't sound like them. I also know that some of the known facts in English sights are wrong and I can only assume that because the MU1000 and MU2000 were never released and supported outside of Japan. For instance, I know I have over 1600 instruments on mine since the EX upgrade (and not including PLG cards installed in the unit), but the wiki only states that there are 1396.

I guess somebody is going to have to get a MU2000 without the EX upgrade, go into TG300B mode, and record a bunch of songs. Then we can compare the same songs recorded on a EX upgraded unit in GS mode. But like I said, playing both GS midi's as well as GM midi's on mine before the upgrade sounded very different. Sonic Green Hills Zone theme (the GS version) sounded way off and after the upgrade, it sounded better than my SC-55's. But other GS midi's sounded pretty cool in TG300B mode, and just sounded ok after the EX upgrade. It did more than just change the name from TG300B to GS. There are different samples, effects, and instrument mappings from the original TG300B mode.

Again, I have the TG-100 and TG-300 midi modules (the TG-300 is packed up in a storage unit but I have the TG-100 right here), and can say for a fact that the sound signature of the MU2000's TG300B mode was not like its namesake as I did compare them when I got the unit in over a year ago. It is my opinion that Yamaha didn't just port the TG300 sound font from the original modules, but just tried to copy the instrument map, and use new effects and samples. That makes a world of difference in how the units sound compared to each other.

As far as the GS upgrade being closer to an SC-88 than a SC-55 I will have to take your word on that, as the best and only SC units I have are the SC-55 and SC-55 MkII. I would love to have at least an 8800 Pro or an 8820 or even a 8850. Maybe next year, then I can compare the GS mode of the MU2000EX via optical out to an upper echelon SC unit. As I only fidget with making music and never really delve into these modules, I will never fully understand how to dig out what instrument from whatever location its in. I feel real lucky when I stumble on the sound of something I like, 🤣. I mainly use them for games and midi file playback when I'm in the mood to just sit and listen to music. That being said, I may not be the best person to go to for looking into these units and trying to compare things. A real musician who understands the old modules is what is needed here.

Xenphor, congrats on winning. I thing you will like you MU90R, and you shouldn't have problems running real hardware in Linux as I know you can take advantage of USB to MIDI cables in most distros. Just find and pick a midi player and DAW and you should be good to go. I like Notation Player and Reaper, but I don't know if you can effectively run those on Linux. That Ardour looks pretty good though, you might want to give that a try.

Reply 24 of 38, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:

It did more than just change the name from TG300B to GS. There are different samples, effects, and instrument mappings from the original TG300B mode.

I'm well aware of the other feature additions and enhancements. My statement about the firmware update is a paraphrase of Yamaha's own MU2000EX documentation, and is specific to GS-compatibility. Furthermore, I never suggested that that the TG300 itself bears any sonic relation to the TG300B mode featured in the XG modules. What I am suggesting, is that the recorded output of the playback of a GS file using your MU2000EX will sound exactly the same as the output from my MU100 in TG300B mode.

I'm also a "real musician," and happen to understand these modules much better than most, thank-you very much. 😒

Reply 25 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fist off, you seem to think my intention is to insult you. Its not, and please don't get defensive. I had no idea you are a real musician. I only suggested that we needed one who could understand these old modules to really look into them compare them. So you should be able to explain why the TG300B mode on my unit prior to the firmware update sounded so different to the GS mode post firmware update when playing the same GS and GM based midi files.

Reply 27 of 38, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

if you read the information i posted earlier you can see
that the devices i mentioned work on USB. this means
that they don't need a PSU or midi cables. for simplicity
these devices are ideal.

if you go down the route of non USB devices then personally
I would choose the MU128 over the MU90 and any generic
midi adapter should work and I have personally tested both
the E-MU XMidi 1x1 and 2x2 in linux.

bye

EDIT: some more tests.

A cheap eBay sourced interface, the Tbox USB MIDI Interface

> pmidi -l
32:0 Play'n Roll Play'n Roll MIDI 1

A large midi interface for all your future requirements, the ESI M8U XL

> pmidi -l
44:0 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 1
44:1 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 2
44:2 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 3
44:3 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 4
44:4 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 5
44:5 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 6
44:6 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 7
44:7 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 8

I tested the ESI with a MU10, and it sounds great and the MU10 is
probably all you need to be honest. it's the perfect interface for ease
of use.

> pmidi -p44:7 D_E1M3.MID

bye-bye

final edit, a whole lot of midi interfaces in Linux.

> pmidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
14:1 Midi Through Midi Through Port-1
16:0 SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
16:32 SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] Audigy MPU-401 #2
17:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
17:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
32:0 E-MU XMidi2X2 E-MU XMidi2X2 MIDI 1
32:1 E-MU XMidi2X2 E-MU XMidi2X2 MIDI 2
44:0 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 1
44:1 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 2
44:2 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 3
44:3 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 4
44:4 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 5
44:5 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 6
44:6 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 7
44:7 ESI M8U XL ESI M8U XL MIDI 8
48:0 E-MU XMidi1X1 E-MU XMidi1X1 MIDI 1
52:0 Play'n Roll Play'n Roll MIDI 1
56:0 SD-20 SD-20 Part A
56:1 SD-20 SD-20 Part B
60:0 SC-8820 SC-8820 Part A
60:1 SC-8820 SC-8820 Part B
60:2 SC-8820 SC-8820 MIDI

The audigy works after you load a Soundfont

/usr/bin/asfxload 4GMGSMT.SF2

You can use `aconnect' to route between between inputs and
outputs at a software level if need be.

Reply 29 of 38, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

well, i have a yamaha KPA3 PSU right here and it states that
it outputs 11.5V at 600ma. the outer sleeve is earth and
the inner positive and measures 15.5V unloaded so this
is unregulated.

bye

Reply 30 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there Xenphor,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AC-Power-Adapter- … d-/190686121619

That's the correct model to use if you want to stay official. If you want, you can use any universal power supply that can be set to 12 volts and supply at least 750mA. Never go over a devices voltage with a universal supply and always have the minimum amps, and you will do fine. Example, you find a universal supply that is 15 volts at 2 amps, just set it for 12 volts and you are golden. The device will draw the amps it needs from the total available. The power supply wont force the excess amps into the device, but if you select a higher voltage, it can fry said device.

Also if you get a universal supply, then make sure you plug the adaptor in correctly. As sklawz said, the outside of the plug is negative and the inside pin is positive. Since you have to wait for your MU90R to ship anyway, I would suggest the power supply in the link I listed above. Oh yeah, don't forget you USB to MIDI cable.

Reply 31 of 38, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well I got my power supply and midi cable so just waiting for the module to come. What would be the best way to output the audio from the module? It just uses 2 rcas? I'm using a simple logitech pc speaker setup so I guess I'd just get a 2 rca to 3.5 stereo adapter.

Reply 32 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go from RCA to 3.5mm (aka 1/8") stereo. Plug the 3.5mm jack into the "line in" jack on your sound card. Open your OS's mixer panel and make sure that the line in jack is enabled and the volume is up between 60-75. That's it. From there the unit will output audio to your computer and the computer will mix it into its normal audio. That's how most of us play vintage games on modern computers. The old fashioned way meant using external mixers or multiple sets of powered speakers for everything.

Reply 33 of 38, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I got the device but am having some issues. First of all, the ac adapter I got that you linked doesn't plug in all the way flush with the device, although it still turns on and seems to work; however, I haven't been able to test it yet because my rca cables won't fit into whatever rca output it uses on the back. The holes are simply too large so there's no way to connect them. Is there some sort of adapter I need?

Reply 34 of 38, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

which mu90 do you have, is it the desktop module or the 19" rack module?

the standard module appears to have 4 RCA phono connectors in the only
images I can find of it, however, the mu90R (rack) has the 1/4 inch
unbalanced L/R I/O. if you have the rack you can get some 1/4 inch
to RCA adaptors cheaply enough.

you can of course upload some photos of your hardware and cabling so
we can work out for sure what the problem is.

bye.

Reply 35 of 38, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is what the back looks like: http://imgur.com/8y2jf9N

edit: sorry, it's the rack module
so I guess i need 2 of these to plug into the back L/R plugs?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_ … &seq=1&format=2

Reply 36 of 38, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi
they could work, but, i have not found any specs for the line output level. it
may be pro level and too high for the input on your particular device. personally
i use a mixer with switches for -10/+4 input levels but this is probably becoming
a bit too much of an expense for you.
if you are wiring directly into a sound card you may actually have better luck
using the headphone output, in that case get a 1/4 stereo to 3.5mm adaptor
and a 3.5mm cable from whatever you call a `pound store' where you live.
bye-bye

Reply 37 of 38, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I was gunna ask about the headphone jack. I just went to a place and all they had was a 1/4" to 3.5mm so I decided to try that with the headphone port. I have the 3.5mm cable plugged into my logitech speaker system and it seems to be working well using pmidi. Would the back ports output higher quality or something?

edit: also, what would be a good linux script for playing midi files automatically from a web browser? I would use it with the "open with..." command I suppose, something like:
pmidi -p 24:0 $1

unfortunately that doesn't work in firefox, although it does work if I play the file back locally.

edit2: I see firefox is saving the "Open With..." files in the /tmp folder, and if I simply use my playmidi script with one of those files it will work but not when using the dialog box after clicking the link.

edit3: Ok I'm noticing that after playing through a bunch of midis, little issues seem to arise, like little hiccups right when a song starts playing or the drums not playing. If I turn off the device and replay the file that was missing the drum part, it will play correctly. So I guess it has to do with initializing the device or something? Is there some command I could send it to reset after playing a song? There is an initialize XG option on the module itself but I'd rather not have to select that every time. Or maybe it's a problem with pmidi?

edit4: Hm just had a little hiccup/stutter at the beginning of the Doom title screen music using dosbox so I guess it's not pmidi.

Reply 38 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there Xenphor,

I've been real busy the past week and have a good bit more to deal with this week so I haven't had a chance to get back to the thread. Glad to see that you were able to get the unit to work even if your having a hiccup or two. The only time I've run into dropped or incorrect sounds on midi modules has been from cheap usb to midi cables (ie those under $10.00 sets). I found that a quality brand name set solved that. I wouldn't suggest running right out to buy one just yet. That's seems to be a rare problem and solution. There are many members here on Vogons that can help you through that sort of issue before you pump $40-$60 into a usb to midi cable. I would highly recommend that you start a new thread describing the issue. That way you will better find those members who only see this one as a "what module to buy" thread. Don't forget to come back to this thread and link a post to your new thread so others reading this in the future will have a useful source for their problems.