VOGONS

Asus P5S-VM

Topic actions

First post, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey,

since the seller on ebay can't ship the board I wanted for my second box (GA-5SMM), I wanted to ask you guys what you think about the Asus P5S-VM > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?c … ocname=bph04949

so far what I saw a plus is the capability to be able to disable the onboard VGA. that would save at least 8MB 😀 ...does somebody have experience with that board?

thanks
M.

BOX#1: ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 1 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one board on my AmyBay that can disable onboard VGA - HSING TECH M571.
It supports AMD K6-III where if installed it uses L2 cache as L3 cache. It can overclock the chipset to 83MHz. I also managed to overclock the ISA bus on this board when using an SCSI controller and got speeds of 35MB/s on my hard drives.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

I have one board on my AmyBay that can disable onboard VGA - HSING TECH M571.
It supports AMD K6-III where if installed it uses L2 cache as L3 cache. It can overclock the chipset to 83MHz. I also managed to overclock the ISA bus on this board when using an SCSI controller and got speeds of 35MB/s on my hard drives.

35MB/s on ISA? Surely you jest. To achieve that bandwidth, you would need to run the isa bus @ almost 20mhz, which is more than a 100% overclock from standard.

But to get back on topic, I'd recommend waiting for the board you want. I wouldn't settle for 2nd best in my systems.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Surely MHDD doesn't lie 😀
Plus proof of performance is windows 95 installation speed and MHDD format/scan speed, as well as classic format command.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 4, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

But to get back on topic, I'd recommend waiting for the board you want. I wouldn't settle for 2nd best in my systems.

yes u r right. I thought also since my big box have that board I could use it from there since I really need a micro-atx board for that htpc case I want to use. My big dos-box have enough space for a standard atx sk7 board. hmm hmm hmmm

also thx for the link @Stojke ... I will take a look 😀

M.

BOX#1: ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98