VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an HP Pavilion 4445 that won't power up. This one belonged to my parents, who sent it to me to fix many years ago. I couldn't figure out the problem then, and I'm stumped again now. It's been about 14 years since I was building my own PCs, so I've forgotten a lot about the process.

I was thinking that this would make a nice DOS gaming machine. It has an ASUS MEB-VM motherboard, although the multiplier is locked at 5.5 (no pins or jumpers). It comes with a 366MHz Celeron, and it has one AGP slot, two PCI slots, and one ISA slot. I'd love to get this thing back up and running with an old Banshee card I have.

My main question is whether the power supply should turn on if the only things I have connected to the motherboard are the ATX power connector and the front panel power switch/LED connector. No drives are connected, and there are no cards in the slot. I just want to power up the unit to BIOS using the onboard VGA and a PS/2 keyboard.

I couldn't get the power supply to turn on, so I tried the one from a Shuttle XPC. That one didn't power on, either.

I'm trying to figure out if the motherboard is the problem, or if I need to connect anything else before powering up. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Reply 1 of 3, by Holering

User metadata

Sure power switch header is correctly plugged in (positive to positive, ground-earth to ground-earth)? Personally had mobo's with three-pin power switch headers, as well as two-pin power switch headers (had to make both work with three pin power switch plug and it took a couple tries).

Reply 2 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

My main question is whether the power supply should turn on if the only things I have connected to the motherboard are the ATX power connector and the front panel power switch/LED connector. No drives are connected, and there are no cards in the slot. I just want to power up the unit to BIOS using the onboard VGA and a PS/2 keyboard.

Definitely. Even better, remove the button connector and just leave the ATX power connected. Then just briefly short-circuit those pins where you would connect the button, for example touch them both with a flat (not philips) screwdriver, I don't know how it's called in english. This way you'll also exclude the possibility of a button/connection failure, but make sure you touch the correct pins!
If you try this with a 100% working psu and there's nothing else on the motherboard but the cpu, you can safely assume that the m/b is dead. (Although I have to admit that I've seen very few cases where a faulty m/b prevents the psu from turning on, but it has happened).

Reply 3 of 3, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm pretty sure that the eight-pin header was fit correctly, largely because a missing pin on the MB corresponds to a solid part on the header.

I forgot to mention that I had used a jumper to short the two power pins with no success.

Sounds like a dead MB, unfortunately!