VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

I was researching some improved cooling options for my Voodoo 3 when I came across this photo:

v33000f.jpg

What's going on there? What are those red and white wires doing? What sort of modification is this?

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2023-12-08, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nemesis nailed it. Still not sure why it wasn't soldered directly on the video card, adding those "long" wires could have been a bad ideia for a stable clock i think.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 3 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nemesis, rick6,

Thanks for the answer! After a little bit of digging, it seems to be a way of overclocking the card. IIRC, overclocking a Voodoo 3 was generally accomplished via reg editing or drivers. Why choose this much more complicated, and irreversible, method instead? I just don't see the advantage to it.

Thanks again.

Reply 4 of 7, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't soldered onto the board because the original crystal was surface mount and the one he used was leades. He probably could have soldered it closer to the board if he would have bended the leads to mimick SMD.

Reply 5 of 7, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote:

Wasn't soldered onto the board because the original crystal was surface mount and the one he used was leades. He probably could have soldered it closer to the board if he would have bended the leads to mimick SMD.

Indeed!

KT7AGuy wrote:

overclocking a Voodoo 3 was generally accomplished via reg editing or drivers. Why choose this much more complicated, and irreversible, method instead? I just don't see the advantage to it..

Hardmods usually get you better results, but they can be a better way to kill the card faster also! Depends if you know what you're doing and the kind of cooling you add afterwards.
By the way, it is not irreversible at all unless you damage the solderpads.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 6 of 7, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think they tried to overclock the card by replacing the oscillator: these usually have frequency of 14.318mhz on any PC PCI/AGP card, so replacing it will likely cause bus incompatibility.

Maybe the oscillator just have been moved away to allow mounting larger heatsinks?

Reply 7 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is relatively easy to mod the Voodoo 3 BIOS, and thereby set the boot-up core speed. But the Voodoo 3 runs pretty hot already in the stock configurations, with passive cooling.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul