VOGONS

First post, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I am new at Vogons, and needs some advice as to what I can do to get the most out of my "new" Intel 486 Mini Tower PC I bought on eBay some time ago.

Current specifications:
Mainboard with 1x CPU Socket 3, 3x PCI Slots, 5x ISA Slots, 2x Vesa Slots, 4x Edo SIMM Slots, AwardBIOS
CPU: 66MHz Intel i486 DX2-66
Memory: 4x Edo SIMM 4MB
PCI ISDN Card FRITZ!Card PCI AVM ISDN Controller
PCI Avance Logic 1MB VGA Card ( ALG 2301.A )
ISA VESA PTI-255W V1.2 Card
HDD IDE WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR 2540 540,8MB
3.5 FDD Floppy Drive TEAC FD-235HF
5.25 FDD Floppy Drive Epson SD-680L
AT POWER SUPPLY 200W DTK Computer PTP-2008 220V!

Ports/Connectors:
COM1- Can be used as MOUSE Port or as Standard Communication port
COM2
LPT1- Printer Port
GAME-PORT
VGA D-Sub takes normal monitor
Keyboard connector type 5din - Old type
RJ45 ISDN input connector

It has MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, Norton Commander installed.

What I would like to keep:
3.5 FDD Floppy Drive TEAC FD-235HF (so I can run 3.5 software)
5.25 FDD Floppy Drive Epson SD-680L (so I can run 5.25 software)
GAME-PORT (so I can use old PC joysticks etc.)

What I have no need for:
PCI ISDN Card FRITZ!Card PCI AVM ISDN Controller (I guess this is of no use these days?!)
LPT1- Printer Port

What I would like to have:
Bigger HDD (as large as possible)
More memory (as much as possible)
Windows 98 SE and DOS 7
A better graphics card (don't know much about the current one, but I am guessing there are better ones to have)
MIDI card
USB (so I can use USB keyboard, mouse and game controllers)
Soundblaster
Internet access
3.5" hardware for CF, SD, microSD, SDHC, MMC etc.
... Anything else I have space for, that is cool to have (I am open to suggestions!!)

Please help me out if you can! 😀

57-1.JPG
57-2.JPG
57-3.JPG

Reply 1 of 43, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome! Nice machine!

My recommendation would also be to get some MIDI equipment so you can enjoy games with the best quality music. You can go internal (Roland LAPC-I/SCC-1/RAP-10/SCD-10/SCD-15/SCB-7/SCB-55) and/or external (intelligent MPU-401 plus MT-32/SC-7/SC-55/SC-55MKII/CM-32L/CM-300/CM-500/MT-100). 😀

USB & Windows 98: get a Pentium (2/3) (MMX).

Reply 3 of 43, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have plenty of space for both. 😀 I would also upgrade the VGA to PCI. You can drop the ISDN (unless you use it). Plus install a CD-ROM.

You already have the optimal OS' installed (DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11) IMO.

I would recommend a Sound Blaster Pro 2 and Sound Blaster 16 (switch them out depending on the game you play at that point in time). Sound Blaster 16 cards have UART MPU-401 on board. You can use SoftMPU to emulate intelligent MPU-401 when required (many older games do not work with UART MPU-401) but it takes up system resources. There are no sound cards with intelligent MPU-401 and FM / sound effects. It is easier / more authentic (and fun IMO) to use a true intelligent MPU-401 card.

You can install daughterboards on a SB16 that will provide perfect General MIDI playback (Roland SCD-10/SCD-15/SCB-7/SCB-55, Yamaha DB50XG/DB51XG/DB60XG and many others: Roland is most preferred usually). 😊

Last edited by PeterLI on 2014-06-12, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fandenivoldsk wrote:

Do I have space for both a MIDI card and a Soundblaster card? Or can I have one that have both?

No need for intelligent MIDI card in a machine like this. You can use SoftMPU along with a Soundblaster card for ALL known games requiring intelligent MPU.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 43, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

You have plenty of space for both. 😀 I would also upgrade the VGA to PCI. You can drop the ISDN (unless you use it). Plus install a CD-ROM.

What PCI card should I buy then?

Reply 8 of 43, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am surprised it has not been mentioned...add a CD ROM or DVD Drive...that will get rid of that yellowing 5.25" drive bay cover as well.

Also I would remove that old barrel type battery residing on your motherboard. Search on Vogons for alternative external battery options.

Add memory, but I would not go higher than 16MB on a 486 that will run DOS games as some games do not like more than 16MB (there's only a few though)

Maybe consider Windows 95 on such a system over Win 98...may run a bit faster and is a bit more correct for the time period.

I would keep the keyboard you have there if it works, because I prefer nice old AT 5pin keyboards...and that front 5 pin keyboard connector is awesome.

Reply 9 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fandenivoldsk wrote:

I want to get a Roland SC-55, so I guess I need a real MIDI card

You don't at all. The only reason now adays to get a MIDI card is if you have a slow 286 and 386 which does not have the CPU speed required to run SoftMPU. Also you have to remember that the SC-55 is a GM MIDI device. All games that use GM does not require intelligent mode and run fine with any card that supports UART MPU-401 (which is bascially almost all of the soundcards of the 90s). Games that require intelligent MIDI (50 or so games) use LA synthesis, which you need a Roland MT32/CM32L/CM64/CM500/LAPC/MT100 device to use. GM synth devices can emulate LA synth, but it is not perfect by a long mile. It will never sound the same and correct, especially in games that uses custom soundpatches.

You connect the external MIDI device to your soundcard with a gamepad to MIDI adapter cable. Save the money. Don't spend 150 dollars+ on a MIDI card you don't need. SoftMPU is completely free for the few games that are worth playing and that requires intelligent MPU. If you're afraid of system resources you can always just load it when required.

I'm actually surprised the value of the MIDI cards haven't plummeted. It boggles my mind, but I guess people need to be enlightened.

Reply 10 of 43, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fandenivoldsk wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

What PCI card should I buy then?

Almost anything named "Matrox" is worth a shot and most S3 cards show great results.

Reply 11 of 43, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:

I am surprised it has not been mentioned...add a CD ROM or DVD Drive...that will get rid of that yellowing 5.25" drive bay cover as well.

Yes, I will get a CD ROM drive, one that can write as well.

Also I would remove that old barrel type battery residing on your motherboard. Search on Vogons for alternative external battery options.

Do you have a Vogons link? Not sure I can find it myself in here...

Add memory, but I would not go higher than 16MB on a 486 that will run DOS games as some games do not like more than 16MB (there's only a few though)

I currently has 4x Edo SIMM 4MB so that is 16mb in total. I should keep it that way or should I get 4x 16mb? I'm confused.

I would keep the keyboard you have there if it works, because I prefer nice old AT 5pin keyboards...and that front 5 pin keyboard connector is awesome.

I agree!

Reply 12 of 43, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

You connect the external MIDI device to your soundcard with a gamepad to MIDI adapter cable. Save the money. Don't spend 150 dollars+ on a MIDI card you don't need. SoftMPU is completely free for the few games that are worth playing and that requires intelligent MPU. If you're afraid of system resources you can always just load it when required.

I'm actually surprised the value of the MIDI cards haven't plummeted. It boggles my mind, but I guess people need to be enlightened.

Thanks for the tip!

Reply 13 of 43, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1: Most vintage enthusiasts do not visit forums like these.
2: Many prefer hardware over software.
3: Many do not care about $.
4: Many use 80(2)86/8s.
5: Intelligent MPUs continue to be relatively scarce.

Reply 14 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Almost anything named "Matrox" is worth a shot and most S3 cards show great results.

I agree with this. Just be careful when getting/buying S3 PCI cards. Get a professional card, not some cheap OEM, or else your image quality will suffer!

Do you have a Vogons link? Not sure I can find it myself in here...

This is a great site:
http://pc-restorer.com/replacing-cmos-batteries-in-old-pcs/

Reply 17 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fandenivoldsk wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

One of these then?:

Yes, the Millennium, Mystique and G200 series are great Matrox cards that work in a 486.

Anyone know how large a HDD I can install?

My guess is 8.4GB for onboard IDE.
Unlimited space PCI IDE ATA card with bootable BIOS
Unlimited space PCI S-ATA card with bootable BIOS
SCSI 8.4GB with ISA/VLB and early PCI with BIOS, unlimited with newer PCI SCSI scards (with BIOS).

Reply 18 of 43, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the Millennium, Mystique and G200 series are great Matrox cards that work in a 486.

Thanks!

My guess is 8.4GB for onboard IDE. Unlimited space PCI IDE ATA card with bootable BIOS Unlimited space PCI S-ATA card with boota […]
Show full quote

My guess is 8.4GB for onboard IDE.
Unlimited space PCI IDE ATA card with bootable BIOS
Unlimited space PCI S-ATA card with bootable BIOS
SCSI 8.4GB with ISA/VLB and early PCI with BIOS, unlimited with newer PCI SCSI scards (with BIOS).

What PCI ATA card would you get for it?