VOGONS

First post, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have an old OptiPlex GXPro whose PSU is going bad. Reading the manual, it seems that Dell used a proprietary quasi-ATX-but-not format. Given that Dell provides the power pin layout schematic, is it not possible to just take a new ATX PSU and connect the wires up the way the Dell specs demand?

This may be a stupid question as it seems obviously simple - but is there something I'm missing as to why this wouldn't work?

Reply 2 of 5, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took some photos of the section from my copy of the book (sorry, the book is too thick to scan well). It's readable, though. Not sure why the second page isn't rotated. Hope it helps.

P1100779.jpg
P1100782.jpg
P1100781.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They sell adapters that let you use normal PSUs if you don't have a slim case. I have one left over from my old Dell whos-a-ma-whats-it desktop project from years ago.

Reply 4 of 5, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@boxpressed - thanks for taking the time to scan that for me. That's exactly the information I needed!

@cdoublejj - I now see that they do. I guess I was trying to overly complicate this...

Anyway, problem solved!

Reply 5 of 5, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lenovo is STILL doing this. Lots of custom pin layouts for the board connectors. Makes testing/servicing them a real pain. Even better when the ODD is powered by a proprietary connector that's an offshoot of the same proprietary motherboard connector!

Adapters would be my first choice too, since I'm a computer coward at heart.