VOGONS

First post, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's keyed for 3.3V, but I'm worrying about voltage compatibility with AGP-to-PCIe bridge on the card. 😕
177094.jpg

Reply 1 of 18, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It probably will work, without or with a key on the motherboard. I had one similar to that that was PCIe, but it died. It should work fine, as long as the motherboard doesn't have keys that prevent you from inserting it. Why a 7600GT in such an old motherboard?

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 3 of 18, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why would you bother with a 7600GT in a PENTIUM 3 motherboard? Get a 3DFX card or GeForce2, 3 or 4 card because your CPU and RAM and motherboard will bottleneck the GPU anyways.

Reply 4 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a thread with some useful information.

Hello! And Help for a SS7 system

The bridged cards do normally not work with AGP 3.3V

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 18, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why don't you just use a PCI graphics card? Anyways, as it says in that thread it is unlikely you will get it to work. At least standard PCI has mostly stayed the same. Can you explain why you would want to run a 7600GT? Most new applications that can actually use it will require newer hardware, so it is useless to use it with a Pentium 2 or 3.

Reply 6 of 18, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

agreed, even my Athlon 800 runs a Geforce3, anything more and its wasted, the games that need a GPU that fast are Half Life 2, Fear, FarCry, Doom 3 none of them will offically run on a Pentium 3 except farcry and thats very painful

Reply 7 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Screwing around with hardware configurations is part of the fun of owning all this stuff. Have fun with it, do something different.
Later graphics cards fix compatibility barriers. I've tried running some fairly modern games on a Pentium 3 by using a 7600GS card. I wanted to see how they'd run. For an example, "Faster Than Light" will run fine on a Pentium 3. I think "Terraria" did also.

Not saying it will work though. I have no idea. My P3 board wasn't a BX.

Reply 8 of 18, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More modern graphics cards don't fix compatibility barriers. They are more likely to work with modern games, because they are modern cards with modern drivers. Whilst doing so they break older games.

Some of the biggest offenders are the Infinity Engine games (Baldurs Gate, etc) which only work with modern cards with a directdraw wrapper (probably an IE engine fault), Commander Keen (scrolling broken in many cards) and Ultima VII (screen is supposed to shake when cyclops walk around, doesn't work with several cards)

Reply 9 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No card works with everything. They do fix barriers - going back to the examples above, FTL, Terraria, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 will not run on a Geforce4, but they will run on a 7600. If you want to make a modern game run on an old machine, a modern video card can help accomplish that.
I'm aware it's unconventional to run a modern game on a Pentium 3. Sometimes it's fun to play around with things.

Reply 10 of 18, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first two I'll give you - I can believe FTL and Terraria will run. Skyrim/Fallout 3? Not at any passable framerate. I built a new computer around about the time Oblivion came out, using two 7600GTs (don't ask, it was a poor decision). One wasn't fast enough, two in SLI were.

Reply 11 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not at a passable framerate, that's certainly true. 😀 Just something silly to try.
I've thought about making an entry in that "Can it run Crysis?" thread, but the hugeness of the download is a problem for me so I probably won't.

Reply 13 of 18, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Go Here: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S-Video-Gr … i+graphics+card This card is more likely to work. It is not better than your 7600, but it is still a decent card if you insist on running new(er) graphics card on a 15 year old computer.

Reply 14 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Ultimate" answer :

GF 7600 GS @ GT (PIII 701MHz) mini.png
Filename
GF 7600 GS @ GT (PIII 701MHz) mini.png
File size
545.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Where is "the catch" ?
Well, it hangs/freezes on doing anything 3D related 🙁 (can play saper in Full HD tho 😀 )

Pro tip for future brave men :
Use less than 32MB in "AGP Aperture Size" - it helps in avoiding "Not enough resources" error.

I will try to make it work, I soo want to run Crysis benchmark on this 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 15 of 18, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

No card works with everything. They do fix barriers - going back to the examples above, FTL, Terraria, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 will not run on a Geforce4, but they will run on a 7600. If you want to make a modern game run on an old machine, a modern video card can help accomplish that.
I'm aware it's unconventional to run a modern game on a Pentium 3. Sometimes it's fun to play around with things.

Why would you want to subject yourself to playing skyrim on a pIII with a 7600?

This is a forum about running retro games on new and old hardware - generally not the other way around. Yes, a more modern gpu will launch modern games, but I don't see the point in it other then "to see if it can do it".

I am kind of impressed a 7600 can run skyrim, but I'd think it's a slideshow. As for "bridging compatibility" playing modern games on that thing is masochism, and some older games won't run properly (if at all). Try playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on that thing and see if you can get it to not crash to desktop after the first 10-20 mins.

Reply 16 of 18, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Why would you want to subject yourself to playing skyrim on a pIII with a 7600? […]
Show full quote
shamino wrote:

Why would you want to subject yourself to playing skyrim on a pIII with a 7600?

This is a forum about running retro games on new and old hardware - generally not the other way around. Yes, a more modern gpu will launch modern games, but I don't see the point in it other then "to see if it can do it".

I am kind of impressed a 7600 can run skyrim, but I'd think it's a slideshow. As for "bridging compatibility" playing modern games on that thing is masochism, and some older games won't run properly (if at all). Try playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on that thing and see if you can get it to not crash to desktop after the first 10-20 mins.

Agreed

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 17 of 18, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can actually relate to this...

Not so much with games that have super high requirements, but maybe with ones that are surprisingly flexible. I guess I just like to be able to make an almost completely useless old computer actually useful for playing a somewhat current game (or some other task).

Some sadistic part of me wants to try to build the oldest system that can run Minecraft at playable settings. A few years ago I ran an older version of the game just fine on a 2.6Ghz P4 and GMA900 graphics, as well as a Geforce 6200 PCI.

I think with this particular game it will be a matter of necessary instruction sets being unsupported on older CPUs, but I don't know exactly what it needs. I'd like to see it load... Even if it was a slideshow... On my PII 400Mhz Gateway I've had since 1999. A later PCI graphics card would be necessary for this. It'd just be amusing. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 18 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Minecraft will run on a P3. Never tried a P2. It will also run with old cards like a Geforce MX4000.
The slowest part of Minecraft is the terrain generation. If you let it run for long enough and have the view distance reasonably low, then eventually it will finish generating and the framerate picks up significantly. Since much of the gameplay in that game involves staying in basically the same place, it's quite feasible to play it on a P4 in those situations. A P3 is slower than I'd normally want to put up with, but it works. The P3 I tried it with was a 933MHz Coppermine, single CPU. A high end Tualatin might be borderline tolerable.
I think the version of the game also matters, and honestly I don't remember what version I tried the P3 with but it was probably 1.7.10. I think older versions might have had lighter CPU requirements so that they'd run better on P4 hardware which was more commonly in use a few years ago than it is now.

My P3 7600GS machine had some graphical glitches, I think because of incompatibility between the AGP bridge chip on the 7600GS and the VIA 694X chipset. Those glitches only occurred in some later games, not everything, so it's some particular subset of functionality that's broken. The most severe example of that glitching was in Skyrim, which was -visually- unplayable, I'm not even talking about framerate there. The glitching with that setup also occured on things as old as 3DMark 2001 (just not as severely).
Some might be relieved to know that the VIA P3-933 machine currently has some boring MX card in it right now, so it's nice and orderly at the moment.