VOGONS

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DEI-8-Bit-ISA-Sound-Ca … =item2c845f94bd
Could not google infos about it.
Seller calls it a sound card but I have my doubts..
I think it might be some sort of early network card based on audio. But that is just a guess.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 1 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I think that is a VHS tape backup card. Use your regular VHS recorder to backup your hard drive! I've seen these for the 8088 era computers but "real" tape drives soon came down in price and replaced the hack-job vhs idea.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it could be anything really... some custom industrial card , some broadcasting card, medical card, you name it 🤣 it uses RCA jacks but that doesn't necessarily mean it's sound related...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree with keropi - especially one of the jacks labeled "Data" and none of the jacks conforming to "standard" color conventions for audio. Those RecycledGoods folks sure did a good job blasting it as an "8-bit sound card" across the web though... 🙄

Reply 4 of 4, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking on something like telephonic modems, that actually transmit data through audio.

It does look like a device to transmit data through an analog waveform. But like keropi said, could be anything 🤣
I wish they had better pictures of the card from the front.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.