VOGONS

Core 2 Duo confusion...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 57, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked, the system is HP Compaq dx7400. I'm going to add a stand alone graphics as I have several lying around to increase available RAM and it should make it run a bit faster.

I'm not going to bother with quad cores since the cheapest I could find is a Q6600 for 40€. Besides, I already bought the CPU.

The OS will be 64-bit and yes, a fresh install will help tremendously as I think it hasn't been reinstalled since she bought the PC in 2008!!!

smeezekitty wrote:

C2Q might overload the VRMs

Not likely. The board supports everything from Q6600 to Q9650.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 23 of 57, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ram will probably be your best bet for noticable performance as well as a 64bit OS if it isn't.
Also why not jump straight up to an E8400? You can get those for pretty cheap if you go to local computer repair stores. I payed 20$ for mine.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 24 of 57, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Ram will probably be your best bet for noticable performance as well as a 64bit OS if it isn't.

There's not much point to going 64-bit with only 4 GB of RAM, I would think.

Reply 25 of 57, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

There's not much point to going 64-bit with only 4 GB of RAM, I would think.

Agreed

Reply 26 of 57, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From The 3GB-not-4GB RAM problem (Microsoft MSDN blog):

Due to an architectural decision made long ago, if you have 4GB of physical RAM installed, Windows is only able to report a port […]
Show full quote

Due to an architectural decision made long ago, if you have 4GB of physical RAM installed, Windows is only able to report a portion of the physical 4GB of RAM (ranges from ~2.75GB to 3.5GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chipset & BIOS).

This behavior is due to "memory mapped IO reservations". Those reservations overlay the physical address space and mask out those physical addresses so that they cannot be used for working memory. This is independent of the OS running on the machine.

Significant chunks of address space below 4GB (the highest address accessible via 32-bit) get reserved for use by system hardware:

BIOS – including ACPI and legacy video support
PCI bus including bridges etc.
PCI Express support will reserve at least 256MB, up to 768MB depending on graphics card installed memory
What this means is a typical system may see between ~256MB and 1GB of address space below 4GB reserved for hardware use that the OS cannot access. Intel chipset specs are pretty good at explaining what address ranges gets reserved by default and in some cases call out that 1.5GB is always reserved and thus inaccessible to Windows.

Imo, this makes it worth switching over to a 64-bit OS.

King_Corduroy wrote:

Also why not jump straight up to an E8400? You can get those for pretty cheap if you go to local computer repair stores. I payed 20$ for mine.

Compared to Europe, hardware prices have always been lower in the USA. Obviously the same goes for used hardware. Used hardware prices are quite inflated in my part of the world. So much in fact, that I sometimes buy stuff from Germany and it comes out cheaper with shipping! The cheapest E8400 I can find in the local classifieds costs 25€ which translates to about $34 US. I also can't use an E8400 without somehow hacking the BIOS. I can however use an E8600... HP is funny that way.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 28 of 57, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Her Core 2 Duo is fine, it's the junk on the computer that's holding her back. Restore it to factory defaults and uninstall all the OEM bloatware stuff (Wild Tangent, Realplayer, Toolbars, etc etc) and she'll be golden. You could get her more ram so the ever so hungry browsers can keep going as well.

Reply 30 of 57, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, there is a way to exceed 4GB RAM on 32bit OSes. There's a certain CPU feature that allows much more RAM to be accessed, even in 32bit enviroments. Windows by default have this disabled, but there does exist a patch that enables this. Can't remember the name, but I have tried it out on certain occasions and it seems to work just fine.

Reply 31 of 57, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Actually, there is a way to exceed 4GB RAM on 32bit OSes. There's a certain CPU feature that allows much more RAM to be accessed, even in 32bit enviroments. Windows by default have this disabled, but there does exist a patch that enables this. Can't remember the name, but I have tried it out on certain occasions and it seems to work just fine.

Physical address extensions

Reply 32 of 57, by Liqu1d82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

"Memory Remap" in some bios?

sig.gif
Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
http://liqu1d82.tumblr.com [My Tumblr] // https://twitter.com/Liqu1d82 [My Twitter]

Reply 34 of 57, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the point of "hacking" all of this when you can just install a 64-bit OS? I don't get what the aversion is - it's not like the Core 2 Duo doesn't have EM64T or 64-bit Windows is somehow non-functional (it also doesn't cost anymore than 32-bit).

As far as the "hacking" goes - PAE is enabled by default in Windows since XP SP2 as part of NX/XD (required to support it) however will not address more than 4GB of memory (which includes the mapping for the video-card and other add-in boards) due to a combination of Microsoft's licencing restrictions and driver compatibility.

Reply 35 of 57, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I normally use 64bit OS on anything with 3GB or more ram, there is no reason not to.

but if you have more ram with Xp 32bit and want to use it I recommend using the rest as a ramdisk for the pagefile,

but, 32bit OS and 2GB of ram should be smooth for basic usage, an SSD would change things more.

people are still selling a lot of new PCs with 2GB of ram, from low cost laptops to x86 high end tablets (running full windows 8.1 32bit), actually 8.1 32bit was made to work OK with 1GB of ram,

I agree that other hacks for x86 and more ram, apart from using it as ramdisk are to problematic...

Reply 36 of 57, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing I like about 32 bit is it works with 16 bit applications.
Even a few old/poorly designed 32 bit apps may fail on 64 bits.

If only running modern programs that is moot though.

Reply 37 of 57, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is true enough, I had so many head aches trying to run certain games on Windows 7 64 bit.
Usually there are patches though for the popular ones. That was the case with the last one I tried to run, Sid Meier's Civilization II.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 39 of 57, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Perhaps you could also check out Q6xxx and Q9xxx CPUs, some are available cheap these days. Massive cache, 4 cores - what could be better?

This is what I did Pentiu8m E2220 to Q6600, made a massive difference and the Q6600 is pretty cheap nowadays. For what it's worth, mine is running Win7 a treat.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME