VOGONS

First post, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found two PCs in my uncles basement

One is the legendary FIC VA-503+ with a K6-2 in a big AT case. The other a Gigabyte Socket 462 with a Tbird 1Ghz

Tried different power supplies, CPUs, RAM, Video cards, clearing the bios, reseating the bios chip. Neither one will start. Could sitting in the basement for years cause them to fail? The circuit boards feel kind of grimy and dirty, not a light dust you can brush off easily. The cases, back plates, and screws have bits of rust and corrosion on the edges.

Found a couple of neat cards that do work, an 8-bit 56K ISA card and a Rage 128 Pro AIW with breakout box.

There was also a SB16 Value CT4770 and it worked for 5 minutes(In my one good SS7 Board) but then I took it out of the PC to try a different sound card (ALS120) but it sounded aweful so I put the SB 16 back in and now the computer doesn't see it, can't detect it so now I have no ISA sound cards and a pile of junk.

Did I fry the SB16 by just taking it out and putting in another? I've never had a card break on me by just swapping them around, it's invisible to the system now.

Should I throw this stuff away or do you think their is a way to get these to start? My bedroom is starting to look like an e-waste recycle center 😒

Reply 1 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

56k on 8-bit ISA? Sounds unlikely...

As far as the systems not starting - any bulging/blown caps? Any visible burn/damage/etc to the boards? As far as stuff that you can confirm non-working, I'd probably just recycle it.

As far as the card - you may have borked something with the configuration on the working machine, especially if we're talking ISA cards - I'd investigate that before writing the previously working hardware off as a lost cause.

Reply 2 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't believe it either when 98 detected it as a 56K. Googled the model and it's US Robotics Sportster 0460, perfect for those 8088 machines wanting fast BBS access.

I pulled both boards out of the cases and have them on a desk. I'm stumped but I'll fiddle around with them for a few days before junking them. Wish I tested them before removing the covers but I couldn't wait to see what goodies were inside. Hunting for good sound/video cards for Dos gaming and got excited when I found them.

Reply 3 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TandySensation wrote:

I didn't believe it either when 98 detected it as a 56K. Googled the model and it's US Robotics Sportster 0460, perfect for those 8088 machines wanting fast BBS access.

🤣 What an odd card!

I pulled both boards out of the cases and have them on a desk. I'm stumped but I'll fiddle around with them for a few days before junking them. Wish I tested them before removing the covers but I couldn't wait to see what goodies were inside. Hunting for good sound/video cards for Dos gaming and got excited when I found them.

Random thought: are they missing jumpers perhaps?

Reply 4 of 17, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

might be worth cleaning the contacts on the sound blaster with a pencil eraser, might just be built up dirt and corrosion.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 5 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news on the socket 462 - it started! Woohoo There's a bank of switches to set the bus speed. I rocked them back and forth then reseated all the other jumpers, replaced the cmos battery, and tried a 3rd CPU and it started! I have an Athlon 1Ghz and a Duron 1.2Ghz that work in the board. I wonder which is better. The Duron has SSE and some other minor improvements but a small cache. Thinking the Duron might be better for music/movies while the Athlon would be better for compiling kernels and running office apps.

No luck with the FIC 503. I reset the jumpers for an Intel 166 and tried different memory, reseated all jumpers. When I set it to ATX mode and then touch the pins for the PW switch there is nothing at all, the ATX supply stays off. When I put it on AT mode and turn it on the fans start but no signs of life.

Reply 6 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking through the bios options for the Gigabyte board there is a section for the sound that says SoundBlaster legacy along with the IRQ and other settings the SB should use. I enabled it and booted into DOS but unable to install it, the installer doesn't detect a soundblaster.

I never seen a motherboard with a 'Legacy sound blaster' option for the onboard AC'97 I'm guessing it would emulate a real SB but not sure how to use it. Anyone use one before? My goal is to run DOS/3.1 with sound working.

Reply 7 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TandySensation wrote:

Looking through the bios options for the Gigabyte board there is a section for the sound that says SoundBlaster legacy along with the IRQ and other settings the SB should use. I enabled it and booted into DOS but unable to install it, the installer doesn't detect a soundblaster.

I never seen a motherboard with a 'Legacy sound blaster' option for the onboard AC'97 I'm guessing it would emulate a real SB but not sure how to use it. Anyone use one before? My goal is to run DOS/3.1 with sound working.

3.1 on a 1GHz system? That is a big waste of performance

Reply 8 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^
Ditto.
IMO anything from 266MHz to 500MHz deserves Windows 9x/NT4/2000 and:
933-1GHz Intel chips (Pentium 3/Celeron 3) - Windows XP
750-1GHz and faster AMD chips - Windows Vista or 7,as long as there is at least 1GB RAM and a good video card for Aero (older cards work too,except no Aero)

TandySensation wrote:

No luck with the FIC 503. I reset the jumpers for an Intel 166 and tried different memory, reseated all jumpers. When I set it to ATX mode and then touch the pins for the PW switch there is nothing at all, the ATX supply stays off. When I put it on AT mode and turn it on the fans start but no signs of life.

With the ATX 20 pin cable still installed on board,try jumpstarting the PSU.It will also turn on the PC.(I used this trick on a Pentium 4 board using a rocker switch wired to jumpstart the PSU,like the old XT PSUs)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out the SB Legacy mode needs a special driver from VIA and only works in DOS. I can use my SB PCI 128 for Dos only gaming. Installed XP and set it up with two sound cards and will use it for ham radio digital modes.

I will try to ATX jump start trick with the VA-503+ but if it doesn't work I give up and will drop the board off on ewaste recycle day.

Ordered a SB Vibra off Ebay for 10$ shipped. It's going in a K6 box for DOS/3.1 nostalgia.

Thanks for all the tips!

Reply 10 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TandySensation wrote:
I found out the SB Legacy mode needs a special driver from VIA and only works in DOS. I can use my SB PCI 128 for Dos only gamin […]
Show full quote

I found out the SB Legacy mode needs a special driver from VIA and only works in DOS. I can use my SB PCI 128 for Dos only gaming. Installed XP and set it up with two sound cards and will use it for ham radio digital modes.

I will try to ATX jump start trick with the VA-503+ but if it doesn't work I give up and will drop the board off on ewaste recycle day.

Ordered a SB Vibra off Ebay for 10$ shipped. It's going in a K6 box for DOS/3.1 nostalgia.

Thanks for all the tips!

I still think you should install 98 on it. It has a "restart in msdos mode" on it and it also opens up the option to play Windows games
For reference, programs on 3.1 start with no noticeable delay on my 486DX-120 with a CF hard drive which means even a fast 486 is overpowered.

Reply 11 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could the boards have leaky caps? Sometimes you have to hold the board at the precisely the right angle to the light to see the crud around the caps. There was a period of time where nearly every consumer grade motherboard was built with the cheapest caps available and they all melted down eventually.

Reply 12 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got the FIC 503+ to boot up. I was about to throw it away but read about reflowing boards in an oven.

Finally moved into my own place with my own oven and I can cook electronics without anyone flipping out. Put it in the oven, set it to 390F, and let it cook until the pre-heat alarm beeped off at 390. Then I shut off the oven and let it cool down in there, opened the door after about 8 minutes.

There was some smoke and smell, visible smoke came out from around the oven. Opened a window and directed the smoke outside with a fan.

When it fully cooled off I hooked everything back up and nothing happened at first... then the monitor light went from amber to blue!

I did see some brown crud at the top of a cap near the cpu. Not sure if it leaked long ago and was clear and the oven browned it or if it leaked due to the oven.

Loaded it with two 32MB EDO SIMMs and a gold faced P90 and now I'm rockin the DOS. The white plastic bits on the board are slightly caramelized brown and the board feels a bit crispy but seems stable running that P90. 😁

Thanks everyone!

Reply 15 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Replacement caps are on the way, looks like an easy enough job to replace them.

I'm having trouble setting a 60MHz FSB speed. I found some websites saying to set CLK1 as 2-3, CLK2 as 1-2, and CLK3 as 1-2 for 60MHz. This website was the clearest in explaining the settings, http://softlyspokenmagicspells.com/overclocking.html.

When I set it to 60 I get 124FSB, looking at the chart it shows both have the same setting. I don't understand how both speeds could be set the same unless there is something else to change.

Reply 16 of 17, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Replaced all the swollen or leaking caps which was about half of them. Used a 40w pencil to walk the old caps off and then rocked the new ones in before using a tiny amount of solder to finish it off. Doubt this is the proper way but the results look good and it worked fine without using any desoldering tools.

The lesson is, before throwing it out try to reflow and/or cap replacement. It did work after baking even with the bad caps so I doubt the problem was just bad capacitors but it's always something to investigate.

Thanks everyone.

Reply 17 of 17, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would probably be better to do a full recap, the ones that aren't visibly bad have to be suspect.

For removal and hole clearing, a piston type solder sucker or braid is useful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desoldering

PS. 2 bewares for the solder sucker...
Do not put it away primed, it'll weaken the spring if it spends a long time set.
Mind your thumb, when you fire it, the plunger can give quite a whack if you're in its way!