VOGONS

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ages ago, Roland and yamaha used to offer virtual GS/XG synths that installed as windows subsystem drivers, but they haven't been supported since XP went EOL. I found VirtualMIDISynth, but to no avail.

My reasons for wanting to try this, is because my old, craptacular Pro Media Spectrum card had an overly compressed 2MB patch size, while the newer free soundfount patches range from 300MB to over 1.6GB. Would be neat to see the difference the larger patch sizes might make. I got used to teh Windows GS virt synth, but it wasn't much better than the standard cards of the time.

Worth trying all this crap? Or should I just bite the bullet, build a good 486-DX4-100, with a SB-16 and a Roland SoundCanvas or Yamaha XG daughterboards.

Reply 3 of 5, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

In case you are on a tight budget you can simply hook up a Sound Canvas or CM module.

I was thinking about trying to get an MT-32, CM-64, or even an actual Sound Canvas module. Any idea how I'd connect those to a modern PC?

i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
Radeon 7950 3GB
8GB DDR3
Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 Mobo
scads of SSD, and multi-terabyte drives

IIRC, didn't those rely on an MPU-401 port on the host PC?

I have a newish PC, and there's no way to support the LAPC-I ISA board.

F2bnp wrote:

You could try out BASSMIDI, it works great!

Does that include the relevant soundfounts, or can I use the freeware ones I found (Arachno/Fluid/That 1GB set)? As long as it's better than that tinny 2MB patch set, and no "hanging note", I'd happily test that stuff out. I got the GUS working in DosBox, but I had to "locate" the relevant soundfonts. Kinda like the MT-32, and needing the proper LA patch sets/Control ROMS for it. Even then, sysex messages don't work right, and the sounds are a bit off. (That was using a custom DosBOX build that supported MUNT, before that project moved to ScummVM)

*NOTE* I have zero intention of trying to use this professionally. I just wanna see if a greatly improved Soundfount sounds, compared to the tinny mess the Soundman Wave output

Reply 4 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

BASSMIDI doesn't include any soundfonts, but you can use as many as you want (I currently have six loaded on my Core i5 rig, 5 on Port A and 1 on Port B 😀 ). Most MIDI controllers, events and sysex messages are also supported.

To connect a MIDI module to a modern PC, you can get a USB to MIDI cable adapter from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from … i+cable&_sop=15

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 5, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

BASSMIDI doesn't include any soundfonts, but you can use as many as you want (I currently have six loaded on my Core i5 rig, 5 on Port A and 1 on Port B 😀 ). Most MIDI controllers, events and sysex messages are also supported.

To connect a MIDI module to a modern PC, you can get a USB to MIDI cable adapter from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from … i+cable&_sop=15

And those work with MT-32, CM-32/64, and Sound Canvas modules? SWEEEEEET! 😀

I know what I'm saving my filthy lucre for, now. 😁