VOGONS

First post, by trisoret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I had a Voodoo 2 that ran for 15 years and just died on me. I'm in the market for a new card and my friend just have those 2 (in the title) available for sale.

I have a 300 MHz Celeron, so will it support the Voodoo 5? Also does the Voodoo 5 support some dos glide games, like Screamer Rally or GTA? Hell, will it even run non-glide dos games?

I'm leaning towards the Banshee honestly mainly because it is similar in many to the Voodoo 2 which I got used to for all these years. But I'm open to all suggestions. 😀

Last edited by trisoret on 2014-07-14, 23:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your best bet for DOS Glide are the Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards. Banshee and anything after (V3, V4, V5) shouldn't be considered substitutes for the all-around DOS Glide usage.

Banshee isn't that similar to the V2 at all. That single TMU (opposed to V2's dual TMUs) really hamper performance for almost all of those games worth playing that uses lightmaps

Last edited by leileilol on 2014-07-07, 02:19. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

Was Voodoo 5 codenamed RAMPAGE? I can never remember. But if so, didn't it come with a giant wall wort?

Voodoo5 is VSA-100 (Rampage is the unreleased 3dfx board), and no it did not come with a giant wallpack power supply. The un-released Voodoo 5 6000 originally included an external power supply called "Voodoo Volts" in the design, but they were not a commercially released product (and they are extremely rare). I think the best replacement for a Voodoo2 would be another Voodoo2 - they aren't terribly hard to find on ebay, at least currently. 😀

Reply 8 of 44, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude just buy both you will thank yourself later, the Banshe isn't worth much but with the difficulty and rising prices those cards are getting harder to find. As for the Voodoo 5 that is easily $100-150 value there and is very hard to find cheap so unless you are starving just buy both.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 44, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

Was Voodoo 5 codenamed RAMPAGE? I can never remember. But if so, didn't it come with a giant wall wort?

No Rampage was the codename for the unreleased product from 3Dfx that was supposed to come out after the Voodoo 5. Supposedly ~2001.

The Voodoo4/5 are essentially the same design, they're both based on the VSA-100 chip. The Voodoo 4 4500 uses one of them and the Voodoo 5 5500 uses 2 of them in SLI on a single board.
Now, the Voodoo 5 5500 draws more power than most cards so it requires a 4pin Molex from your power supply, nothing too fancy.
You may have mixed it up with the unreleased Voodoo 5 6000 which used 4 chips on a single PCB. This would have probably required an external power adaptor.

Reply 10 of 44, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo Banshee was my first proper 3D card, and that's about the only value it has for me compared to a V3, which is definitely faster than both Banshee and V2 (V3 2000 is about equal to V2 SLI).

Those are some weird prices going on fbay currently. I'd say get the Banshee if it's under $10, otherwise try to score one of the ubiquitous Voodoo3s for just as cheap.

And Banshee/V3/V4/V5 makes a nice 2D DOS card especially if using a CRT--compatibility is excellent with this combination. I have a V3 with CRT myself. As for 3Dfx/GLide DOS games, stick with Voodoo Graphics, maybe V2, for the least hassle.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 11 of 44, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
No Rampage was the codename for the unreleased product from 3Dfx that was supposed to come out after the Voodoo 5. Supposedly ~2 […]
Show full quote
ElectricMonk wrote:

No Rampage was the codename for the unreleased product from 3Dfx that was supposed to come out after the Voodoo 5. Supposedly ~2001.

The Voodoo4/5 are essentially the same design, they're both based on the VSA-100 chip. The Voodoo 4 4500 uses one of them and the Voodoo 5 5500 uses 2 of them in SLI on a single board.
Now, the Voodoo 5 5500 draws more power than most cards so it requires a 4pin Molex from your power supply, nothing too fancy.
You may have mixed it up with the unreleased Voodoo 5 6000 which used 4 chips on a single PCB. This would have probably required an external power adaptor.

I think you are correct. It's been so long since the 3dFX/nVidia wars that I most likely got them confused. Wasn't Rampage going to use the 4 VSA-100s for a type of Temporal Buffer, for motion Blur, etc... ?

Reply 13 of 44, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zstandig wrote:

You sure the Voodoo 2 is gone for good? I heard some video cards can be revived in an oven of all things.

That's like the trick when early X360 adopters would wrap their consoles in heavy towels, while it was powered on. The idea is to get it hot enough to melt the solder a little, and allow it to "re-seat", and make better contact.

The only time I've ever put electronics (besides a fancy oven thermometer) in a running oven, was when I was testing Single Board Computers, to simulate them being in a sealed NEMA4 outdoor enclosure while in direct summer sunlight. And even then, I never took the temp about 250F. They were all running at the time, and I think the Soekris managed to function for hours at 200F, before finally keeling over.

Reply 14 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

I think you are correct. It's been so long since the 3dFX/nVidia wars that I most likely got them confused. Wasn't Rampage going to use the 4 VSA-100s for a type of Temporal Buffer, for motion Blur, etc... ?

No; like I said Rampage was the unreleased next-gen GPU. It was supposed to be 3dfx's answer to the GeForce 3. The 4x VSA-1000 was Voodoo5 6000 which is also what used the external power supply ("Voodoo Volts"). All multi-chip VSA-100 devices support 3dfx T-Buffer, which can do things like motion blur in supported applications. So the 5500 can already do that out of the box. The 6000 is just "bigger and faster" over the 5500, owing to having another two GPUs. 😊

Reply 15 of 44, by trisoret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your replies and help! I ended up replacing my old Voodoo 2 with another Voodoo 2. I figured my processor isn't powerful enough for a Voodoo 5 optimized performance plus I still want to enjoy some of the Dos glide games.

I'll be sticking around here as you guys are very helpful and it's the just the perfect place to be for a retro computer gamer.

Reply 16 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good choice. My test have shown that a 500 MHz CPU is a good match for a single Voodoo 2.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 44, by trisoret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's a good choice. My test have shown that a 500 MHz CPU is a good match for a single Voodoo 2.

I'm actually now looking to build a more powerful PC using a P3 motherboard running an 800 Mhz CPU. This could be my Voodoo 5 machine, or maybe should I look for more horse power?

Reply 18 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never worked with a Voodoo 5 so I don't know 😒

But my gut feeling is that such a card could use a faster system. Voodoo 2 SLI / Voodoo 3 would be a good match for a Pentium III 800. Is that a Slot 1 machine with 100 MHz FSB or a Socket 370 machine with 133 MHz FSB?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 44, by trisoret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I've never worked with a Voodoo 5 so I don't know 😒

But my gut feeling is that such a card could use a faster system. Voodoo 2 SLI / Voodoo 3 would be a good match for a Pentium III 800. Is that a Slot 1 machine with 100 MHz FSB or a Socket 370 machine with 133 MHz FSB?

It is indeed a slot 1 with 100 MHz FSB. But I haven't tried it in years, I really hope it's still working.

As for the V5, I heard it doesn't work at all in a P4, that's why I'm aiming for a P3 machine at moment.