First post, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does watching two movies about Steve Jobs count as a retro activity? 👀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1 of 261, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 05:32:

No. Fuck Apple.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-14, 07:23:

No. Fuck Apple.

F*ck Intel 😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 6 of 261, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-10-14, 17:56:

Does masturbating while thinking of Steve Jobs count as retro activity?

Depends. Were you at work at the time?

Sounds more like a fetish than retro 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 261, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 17:28:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-14, 07:23:

No. Fuck Apple.

F*ck Intel 😀

Yes. But Fuck Apple harder.

Reply 8 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't understand the kink of these guys in wanting to force admins to close threads with free insults and unecessary fights... the more you insult them, the more Apple is worth in the market (3x more than Intel already). So, keep insulting if it makes you happy... neither you nor me nor anyone else gets anything out of it. But if it makes you happy, congratulations. I don't care.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 9 of 261, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno, I had a Mac IIsi in the 90s, it was pretty OK. I wouldn't buy one now because they're not serviceable and I see what Louis Rossmann has to go through to fix them just after the warranty expires.

Not worth the "investment" for me, and as someone in IT, I loathe supporting them, but seems a lot of people use them so there's no point in outwardly hating them - they're gonna be around.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 10 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2021-10-14, 20:06:

I dunno, I had a Mac IIsi in the 90s, it was pretty OK. I wouldn't buy one now because they're not serviceable and I see what Louis Rossmann has to go through to fix them just after the warranty expires.

Not worth the "investment" for me, and as someone in IT, I loathe supporting them, but seems a lot of people use them so there's no point in outwardly hating them - they're gonna be around.

That's fine, you have a point based on your own experience with them and preferences, and I respect that. But my experience with Macs in the last 10 years until now is completely different to yours. For me and for my work, they have been worth it.

My experience with PCs is: I do not have patience for them anymore. Buy parts, mount, configure, install, customize... expensive parts upgrades every year... and repeat: buy parts, mount, configure, install, customize... no thanks but no thanks. I am done with that vicious circle since 2010. I never liked to open a computer and mess with its guts. "Engineers" and "Technicians" gonna hate me for that. No problem. But I want an OOB experience since then, and I will pay whatever price these Macs have for that experience, so that I can save time and go straight to whatever I want to do with them.

As for Louis Rossmann... since he is not an Apple certified repair professional, his opinion is worth nothing to me. I'm also against Right To Repair.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 12 of 261, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 21:16:

As for Louis Rossmann... since he is not an Apple certified repair professional, his opinion is worth nothing to me. I'm also against Right To Repair.

I don't care about if LR opinion is worth to you or not... But NO politics here, buddy.

I am done with that vicious circle since 2010.

Apple has changed since then buddy. Right now, hardware wise, them are a disposable trash factory with a popular brand backing them. An example? Apple hardware PCBs are painted with a chocolate like coat which gets corroded even in Texas dry environment, instead coating them with a Conformal layer, as any sane manufacturer do (heck, which even ECS and Acer trash folks do).

Last edited by hyoenmadan on 2021-10-14, 22:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 261, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:09:

I don't care about if LR opinion is worth to you or not... But NO politics here, buddy.

I fully agree with this, this thread is about retro activity.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 14 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ST251 wrote on 2021-10-14, 21:49:

I'm also against Right To Repair.

How come?

They want to change how Apple build them to make them more serviceable. Anyone who does not like it, just don't buy it, simple as that. There are other brands offering exactly what these people want.

Right To Repair should've been about pushing/forcing Apple to pursue cheaper servicing prices or better replacement programs, not about the "right to repair" it yourself. You for sure always have that right do so, if you wanna risk servicing them yourself, it's your own choice and you have to deal with the risks in doing so; otherwise, just take it to Apple to fix it for you. Just messing with the batteries is already a very dangerous thing, unless you are certified and trained to do so, by Apple.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:15:

*salty language warning*

-removed

You always have the option to f*cking fix it yourself! The problem is that you do not want to accept the risks for that, and if you f*ck it up while trying to fix, you also want the manufacturer to take the blame for it. I can't think of anything more st*pid than that or you.

Good luck fixing your own car without any training or knowledge on how to do that. People in that situation should never do it, this is exactly what I am saying not these st*pid words you are trying to put here.

Last edited by vetz on 2021-10-16, 06:37. Edited 2 times in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 16 of 261, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:14:

Right To Repair should've been about pushing/forcing Apple to pursue cheaper servicing prices or better replacement programs, not about the "right to repair" it yourself.

Wait... WHAT???
I don't know from what sources are you taking your info... But man... RtoR is about Repairability of Devices and availability on documentation and parts IN GENERAL. That's almost all. The rest is about prohibit manufacturers to hijack parts availability to 3rd parties.

Is your own decision if you do the repair yourself or not... But availability of docs and parts means there will be more 3rd party services near you, who would do it for you, in a fraction of price, the same day, and with a quality on par at least on the "Genious Bar" Apple certified services level, buddy.

Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:14:

They want to change how Apple build them to make them more serviceable. Anyone who does not like it, just don't buy it, simple as that. There are other brands offering exactly what these people want.

Isn't just about Apple. But Apple is the popular target, because, as popular as they are, their practices if successful corrupt the rest of manufacturers, which copy them. Sooner or later you will not have "choice" because everyone will be manufacturing unrepairable software locked trash. And it doesn't target solely Apple. John Deere, Tesla, Samsung and others are in the radar too.

Reply 17 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:22:

Wait... WHAT???
I don't know from what sources are you taking your info... But man... RtoR is about Repairability of Devices and availability on documentation and parts IN GENERAL. That's almost all. The rest is about prohibit manufacturers to hijack parts availability to 3rd parties.

In other words, you want the documentation to try and fix it yourself, without being certified and/or trained to do that. Still is a very wrong thing.

Manufacturers decide on how to build their products, and if you don't like it just don't buy it, mate! No one has the right to force them to make it other way. Would you like to be forced to build your own product in a way you don't like just because others don't like your way? Hell no! I'd just tell them to f*ck off and go buy Dell computers then!

Is your own decision if you do the repair yourself or not... But availability of docs and parts means there will be more 3rd party services near you, who would do it for you, in a fraction of price, the same day, and with a quality on par at least on the "Genious Bar" Apple certified services level, buddy.

3rd party services should never be authorized to do that without being an authorized repair shop, or a certificate from the manufacturer. The service they offer is never the same quality as the manufacturers do for you. My experience with them is that they never fix it well, they steal parts from you, they do a poor job and the product is returned with more problems than when it came in. An authorized repair shop with a certificate is the only solution to that, then if something goes wrong I can point the finger to them or the manufacturer!

Isn't just about Apple. But Apple is the target, because, as popular as they are, their practices if succesful corrupt the rest of manufacturers, which copy them. Sooner or later you will not have "choice" because everyone will be manufacturing unrepairable software locked trash.

Then just don't buy it. Build your own computer if you're not happy with that. The parts are everywhere to buy. I am sure most guys here love to buy parts and build them. Not me. I never liked to open a computer and mess with its guts. I always preferred an OOB experience with computers. I never had patience to fix computers by myself, and never will. It's not about money. It's about the right (and safest) thing to do.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2021-10-14, 22:39. Edited 2 times in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 18 of 261, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, call me a prude but can people calm the language? I thought we were a friendly community who had more in common than what separates us.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19 of 261, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-14, 22:30:

In other words, you want the documentation to try and fix it yourself, without being certified and/or trained to do that. Still is a very wrong thing.

I just want the docs and parts available. The rest is personal and up to me, if I want to do all by myself, or I just tell one of my contacts, who is an EE, to do the repairs. And if you are a competent EE, why you would need certification to do your repairs? Or in other words, what gives exactly gives the Apple "cert"? It will magically make the lithium on the batteries less explosive (it didn't work for Tesla, their batteries catch fire as any other lithium battery)?

Manufacturers decide on how to build their products, and if you don't like it just don't buy it, mate! No one has the right to force them to make it other way. Would you like to be forced to build your own product in a way you don't like just because others don't like your way? Hell no! I'd just tell them to f*ck off and go buy Dell computers then!

First, they are corrupting the ecosystem with their insane practices, which other manufacturers are starting to copy on, and they are destroying capitalism, sane competition and the free market with it, using their power and unloyal twist in the law to do it. And that's why we have to intervene directly with them and force them to stop. Simple as that.

Also no one is forcing them to build the products in a way they don't like. Only availability on documentation, and stop themselves on hijacking parts availability.

3rd party services should never be authorized to do that without being an authorized repair shop, or a certificate from the manufacturer. The service they offer is never the same quality as the manufacturers do for you. My experience with them is that they never fix it well, they steal parts from you, they do a poor job and the product is returned with more problems than when it came in. An authorized repair shop with a certificate is the only solution to that, then if something goes wrong I can point the finger to them or the manufacturer!

Good you talk about your "experiences" with Apple Cert Services. Dunno were your live, but if you have there a good certified service who can repair your Apple devices, then kudos to you. My "experience" with the "Genius Bar"s is just a "Just buy a new laptop buddy. Check, we have a "nice" discount in the new Apple AIR model if you pay with Master Card".

Last edited by hyoenmadan on 2021-10-14, 22:58. Edited 1 time in total.