VOGONS

Reply 21060 of 27445, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went on one of my household hunts again... with getting the LS-120, the heft and length of it, stirred a memory of another floppy shaped drive matching those parameters, so I went looking for that. Also wanted to find the dimly remembered piece of maybe superdrive media I thought was around somewhere. What I found so far was zilch on the media front, and the floppy shaped, longer, heavier floppy drive, turned out to be... a floppy drive, just a regular 1.44 Samsung... IDK why they overbuilt them, think it was quite a late one too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21061 of 27445, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Checked out a nice little P60 (No FDiv bug) box on eBay, the price is a bit steep but the seller is right that these little boxes have a curious setup.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
223.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

CPU Board

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
250.38 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

Motherboard Overview

The Processor and what looks to be cache are on a riser board, the price is 300 AUD for the system and its a bit high but its a unique little box and I wonder if I could slap a P100 on there or a Pentium Overdrive though Im not sure what overdrives were socket 5.

Call me curious, with 5 ISA and 3 PCI, it would make a nice little DOS box and I am super curios about the CPU card setup and just what it can handle CPU wise.

Reply 21062 of 27445, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be a socket 4 if it's a P60.. there was an overdrive though.

My P60 had the fdiv bug, but oddly Win95 seems super stable on it.... wait a sec.... is that why? Dev boxes were fdiv bugged? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21063 of 27445, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-27, 05:58:

Should be a socket 4 if it's a P60.. there was an overdrive though.

My P60 had the fdiv bug, but oddly Win95 seems super stable on it.... wait a sec.... is that why? Dev boxes were fdiv bugged? 🤣

hmmm .. so that would be the PODP5V133 which is the 133 model .. or would the PODP5V120 model be better to match the 60mhz FSB ?

Reply 21065 of 27445, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:05:

HWiNFO (for Windows or DOS) can quickly tell you if there are any common errata like the fdiv bug.

Seller has confirmed these boxes dont have that bug, he said they would actually be more collectable if they did.

not sure why.

Reply 21066 of 27445, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:05:

HWiNFO (for Windows or DOS) can quickly tell you if there are any common errata like the fdiv bug.

Also windows calc counts wrong =)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

Got 2 60MHz with the bug.
First one I got accidentally, the other i found lurking in a pile of old CPU's I found on a local auction site.

Reply 21067 of 27445, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to recreate MS-DOS 6.22 labels from Scratch as the ones I found were really not that great.

2022-02-27 23.33.45.jpg
Filename
2022-02-27 23.33.45.jpg
File size
52.66 KiB
Views
File license
2022-02-27 23.32.54.jpg
Filename
2022-02-27 23.32.54.jpg
File size
312.56 KiB
Views
File license

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 21069 of 27445, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes some Avery L7666 labels, a laser printer and fews hours on Photoshop 😊

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 21070 of 27445, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the Portable 286 almost going all the way.

Installed a new foam and foil pad for the enter key and had to glue the enter key in place as a temporary measure until I source a new one.

Got the XT-CF installed (needs a refresh for the OS and that's getting close), Snark Barker 1.5 without the thumb wheel since that got misplaced somehow, and moved the floppy/serial/parallel card to a different location so the front LED that the old Miniscribe was connected to would be reachable for the XT-CF adapter.

It still needs a new battery for the time and date, yet the settings retain without issues (well, I'll wait 24 hours to go by that theory).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21071 of 27445, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:45:

Decided to recreate MS-DOS 6.22 labels from Scratch as the ones I found were really not that great.

2022-02-27 23.33.45.jpg
2022-02-27 23.32.54.jpg

I need to do this for MS-DOS 6.2 - do you have label images anywhere? How did you manage to do these? 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21072 of 27445, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a box full of PC Magazine cd/dvds .. must be a couple hundred in there mostly from PC mags from 1995 - 2008, majority look to be from 99 - 02, going to take a while to filter through them and buff scratches out so I can read them in my P3.

Lots of utilities, games and importantly drivers from the era.

Seems to be a lot of free games in there too and software, IIRC I can buff scratches out with brasso, or I might invest in a CD/DVD buffing unit, these are worth saving, especially the DVD with thousands of games and utilities on them.

Bunch of Night Owl best of cds in there, looks like Ill need a DOS machine too .. doubt any of this DOS shareware will work on a P3 XP build 🤣.

Reply 21073 of 27445, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never failed to read a disc due to scratches on the data side. But I've lost a lot of discs due to damage to the label and the reflective later beneath it.

On a similar note, I've also lost a lot of burned discs due to whatever material inside decomposing. I treat all burned discs as volatile now and unsuitable for archival purposes. From what I understand, this isn't a pertinent for DVD-RAM, but I've never owned any.

Reply 21074 of 27445, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-28, 09:07:

I've never failed to read a disc due to scratches on the data side. But I've lost a lot of discs due to damage to the label and the reflective later beneath it.

On a similar note, I've also lost a lot of burned discs due to whatever material inside decomposing. I treat all burned discs as volatile now and unsuitable for archival purposes. From what I understand, this isn't a pertinent for DVD-RAM, but I've never owned any.

Yeah I found a few spindles of backup DVDs...I figure they had been in storage for about 15 years and pretty much every spindle had developed disc Rot, looks a little like rust at the edges but all the dye media has decomposed and either flaked off he disc or turned interesting shades of colour.

Looking at the names of the discs I wonder what a younger me was doing backing up all this data .. I never used any of it again.

I really hope I can rescue some of the worst PC mag discs, I want to grab the drivers and such off them.

Reply 21076 of 27445, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did another Label for Windows 98 SE Boot disk 😀

Comparison between orignal and mine :

Original :

Photo Boot 98SE Original.png
Filename
Photo Boot 98SE Original.png
File size
679.08 KiB
Views
File license

Mine :

Photo Boot 98SE HM.png
Filename
Photo Boot 98SE HM.png
File size
778.94 KiB
Views
File license
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-28, 05:55:
NyLan wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:45:

2022-02-27 23.33.45.jpg
2022-02-27 23.32.54.jpg

I need to do this for MS-DOS 6.2 - do you have label images anywhere? How did you manage to do these? 🙁

For some reason Microsoft changed his design from time to time. I even have some with weird Microsoft logo (France) or totally different fonts (Germany)
I've found very few example of 6.2 version but I modified mine for MS-DOS 6.2 and will send you files in PM

Personal GitHub

Reply 21077 of 27445, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-28, 09:14:
Yeah I found a few spindles of backup DVDs...I figure they had been in storage for about 15 years and pretty much every spindle […]
Show full quote
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-28, 09:07:

Yeah I found a few spindles of backup DVDs...I figure they had been in storage for about 15 years and pretty much every spindle had developed disc Rot, looks a little like rust at the edges but all the dye media has decomposed and either flaked off he disc or turned interesting shades of colour.

Looking at the names of the discs I wonder what a younger me was doing backing up all this data .. I never used any of it again.

I really hope I can rescue some of the worst PC mag discs, I want to grab the drivers and such off them.

M-disks are suitable for archival purposes as they have a crazy long shelf life after they are burned I think there rated for 1000 years or something like that. For the disk scratches I've had excellent success with using the Disk Doctor motorized unit. I've probably saved over 100 CD/DVDs and some I honestly thought were completely lost but I've yet to have a disk it wasn't able to restore.

Reply 21078 of 27445, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(fingers crossed) - I think my RetroPie is finally starting to shape up. Figured out the Intellivision emulator last night (strange, does not use Libretto or RetroArch) and got that dialed in, still scraping a heap of games a co-worker gave me, and I just added NEC PC Engine to the list, a console I've never played (yes I'm aware it's TurboGrafix 16), man did I miss out, especially all the wacky japanese releases with low-brow humor like Kato Chan and Ken Chan and that really weird one with the budda guy boss where you fly around shooting bathroom stuff - 🤣. Also Bonk rocks....

Dangit, now I'm going to want to add a PC-Engine to my already overloaded 89' Mitsubishi.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21079 of 27445, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NyLan wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:40:

I've found very few example of 6.2 version but I modified mine for MS-DOS 6.2 and will send you files in PM

Could you send me a copy for 6.2 as well please?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.