VOGONS

Reply 23340 of 27362, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-15, 14:09:

Oh, and my retro activity for the day has been to dig through my entire sound card collection looking for a card I was almost positive that I owned. It's kind of ridiculous how the mind can trick us into being able to picture something in your hands, or on your desk, or in a box, or installed in a PC... and yet it has all just been fabricated from seeing tons of pictures of them online over the years. Unless it's in a completely incorrect location (with video cards for example), then I don't think I have it. Probably just got it confused with something else.

I had a similar experience recently! Except, I was searching high and low for a PowerPC version of GTA SA that (a) I could've sworn I owned a copy of, because (b) I enjoyed the heck out of it at a mate's house on his G5 iMac. Turns out that both of my memories were gobsmackingly inaccurate, because the bloody thing was never actually a thing! Rockstar didn't release a PowerPC port of San Andreas, nor any other GTA game.

🎵 Daisy, daisy...

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 23341 of 27362, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-12-15, 18:51:

Oh, and my retro activity for the day has been to dig through my entire sound card collection looking for a card I was almost positive that I owned. It's kind of ridiculous how the mind can trick us into being able to picture something in your hands, or on your desk, or in a box, or installed in a PC... and yet it has all just been fabricated from seeing tons of pictures of them online over the years. Unless it's in a completely incorrect location (with video cards for example), then I don't think I have it. Probably just got it confused with something else.

I had a similar experience recently! Except, I was searching high and low for a PowerPC version of GTA SA that (a) I could've sworn I owned a copy of, because (b) I enjoyed the heck out of it at a mate's house on his G5 iMac. Turns out that both of my memories were gobsmackingly inaccurate, because the bloody thing was never actually a thing! Rockstar didn't release a PowerPC port of San Andreas, nor any other GTA game.

🎵 Daisy, daisy...

Wow! Definitely sounds like something that would happen to me. Isn't it such a relief when you're starting to come to terms with the fact that you're nuts... and THEN you ACTUALLY find the thing you were thinking of!?!? I have had that happen as well, which makes it very hard to accept the times when I'm just genuinely mistaken. 🤣

I wonder if there's any connection between these seemingly corrupted portions of my memory and the days I spent on extended soldering projects without the best ventilation. @_@

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23342 of 27362, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-15, 19:10:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-12-15, 18:51:

🎵 Daisy, daisy...

Wow! Definitely sounds like something that would happen to me. Isn't it such a relief when you're starting to come to terms with the fact that you're nuts... and THEN you ACTUALLY find the thing you were thinking of!?!? I have had that happen as well, which makes it very hard to accept the times when I'm just genuinely mistaken. 🤣

I wonder if there's any connection between these seemingly corrupted portions of my memory and the days I spent on extended soldering projects without the best ventilation. @_@

😜 Oh man. Yep, same here. Every Saturday, in fact.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 23344 of 27362, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-10, 03:00:

Tested out my recently acquired I-O Data PK-X486S50-3 (286-to-486 upgrade).

I've been using a PK-X486S50 for a while, initially in a Tandy 1000 TL/2, and presently in a TL/3.

Switch 1 enables/disables the math co-processor. Switches 2 - 4 are unhelpfully described in the manual as "Not Used (always OFF)," but I recall either switch 3 or 4 providing a slight performance bump.

You'll need to leverage a software driver at boot-up to enable both the CPU cache and the additional 2x clock multiplier, which will bring your TL to 32 MHz. I'm using Evergreen's "REVTO486.SYS" driver for that, in conjunction with the "/CN /2" parameters.

Reply 23345 of 27362, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using my Compaq armada 1750 to write an adf of workbench via parallell port with Amiga explorer to floppy on my Amiga 600. Mostly because I'm an Amiga OS newb. And because I can.

Attachments

Reply 23346 of 27362, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-16, 18:59:
I've been using a PK-X486S50 for a while, initially in a Tandy 1000 TL/2, and presently in a TL/3. […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-10, 03:00:

Tested out my recently acquired I-O Data PK-X486S50-3 (286-to-486 upgrade).

I've been using a PK-X486S50 for a while, initially in a Tandy 1000 TL/2, and presently in a TL/3.

Switch 1 enables/disables the math co-processor. Switches 2 - 4 are unhelpfully described in the manual as "Not Used (always OFF)," but I recall either switch 3 or 4 providing a slight performance bump.

You'll need to leverage a software driver at boot-up to enable both the CPU cache and the additional 2x clock multiplier, which will bring your TL to 32 MHz. I'm using Evergreen's "REVTO486.SYS" driver for that, in conjunction with the "/CN /2" parameters.

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful! 😀

Just curious, but how did you manage to fit it in a TL/2? In my TL/2 the drive bay cage blocks the PK-X486S50 board based on the orientation of the socket on the motherboard.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23347 of 27362, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-16, 22:58:

Just curious, but how did you manage to fit it in a TL/2? In my TL/2 the drive bay cage blocks the PK-X486S50 board based on the orientation of the socket on the motherboard.

I took the chassis hackery route.

tl2mod_s.jpg

Reply 23348 of 27362, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-17, 01:36:
I took the chassis hackery route. […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-16, 22:58:

I took the chassis hackery route.

tl2mod_s.jpg

Ah. I was hoping maybe there was some non-destructive option I wasn't aware of.

At least it fits properly in the Tandy TL, so I'll probably just leave it in there.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23350 of 27362, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-12-15, 17:13:

IMG_20221215_175433.jpg

I already had a V550 driver CD and kept my eyes open to find a matching graphics card. Recently I found one for an acceptable price. It'll probably replace the Millennium II in my Pentium II build.

Also picked up an EtherLink XL networking card. I think it'll go in my Pentium MMX build.

Did a quick check on teh AIW Rage128 Pro and the V550. Both of them seems to be working fine.

V550.png
Filename
V550.png
File size
34.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 23351 of 27362, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added a K6-266 processor to this three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich.
The Pentium MMX sticker on the front is now indeed a bald-faced lie.

Actually, I will be taking this appalling dump heap of a PC to the thrift store today. Just thought I'd give the lucky DOS gamer who decides to purchase this nasty wasty skunk an extra bit of CPU oomph. Shyeah, like they'll notice.

IMG_0417.jpg
Filename
IMG_0417.jpg
File size
241.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 23352 of 27362, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried for 30 minutes how to wire a 3-wire turbo switch to a 2-pin header.
I lost, can't get it right. I suspect the switch to be faulty.

All my cases have 3 pins, I guess it was standard.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 23353 of 27362, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the XFX 7600GT 256MB arrived.

Unsurprisingly, despite being listed as tested and working, its dead. Artifacts on post.

On the plus side the seller is issuing a refund.

How hard is it to throw a card on a ****** test bench and turn on the power before you list it? 2nd eBay graphics card in a row I've gotten that has been dead and the 4th tech purchase in a row thats been dead or misrepresented. Like I don't get why it seems every eBay seller is the scum of the earth to whom ethics is a dirty word.

My last few purchases:

* XFX 8800GT - DOA, no post. Had to return the card and wait a week to get my $25 back
* Pioneer Elite CT-W51 Cassette Deck - Had undisclosed issues relating to lack of proper maintenance and hard issues. Seller wouldn't do a partial refund, and I needed it for a project so I ended up servicing it myself. Wouldn't have paid $100 if I knew it needed any work done to it.
* Commodore VIC-20 - Didn't work, produced a scrambled video signal. Seller fired back SUPER aggressive message that said "tested" only meant tested for power light. Had to threaten to get eBay involved before he accepted a return, took a week to get my $90 back.
* XFX 7600GT - Artifacted, seller at least issued prompt refund.

I don't remember things being this bad a few years ago. Parts are more expensive now AND more likely to be not working. Also so much shit listed as "AS IS" if you check the description (though, per eBay, if its listed in the used category if it doesn't work they are required to refund you. fun fact). I feel like this is due to a shift from most parts coming from scrappers and e-cyclers to more parts coming from burned out, lazy as shit Gen X'rs that don't want to work anymore so they decided to run an eBay scalping operation instead selling stuff they haven't touched in 20 years or found a thrift store as "tested and working"

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23354 of 27362, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I did two things. First was setting up my not-in-use processors for family photo of sorts.

IMG_1036.jpg
Filename
IMG_1036.jpg
File size
788.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm planning on doing it with my Macs as well sometime soon, but that has a lot more space needed.

I then proceeded to fail to figure out why my Powerbook G3 hard freezes whenever I try anything network related and or in the startup disk menu.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 23355 of 27362, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-19, 03:05:

I don't remember things being this bad a few years ago. Parts are more expensive now AND more likely to be not working. Also so much shit listed as "AS IS" if you check the description (though, per eBay, if its listed in the used category if it doesn't work they are required to refund you. fun fact). I feel like this is due to a shift from most parts coming from scrappers and e-cyclers to more parts coming from burned out, lazy as shit Gen X'rs that don't want to work anymore so they decided to run an eBay scalping operation instead selling stuff they haven't touched in 20 years or found a thrift store as "tested and working"

Jesus. I'm a Gen Xer but I make it a point to test almost everything I list, even if it's just a cursory power test. The only thing I don't usually bother testing is CPUs and most types of RAM made after ~1995 as both are almost always working and rarely end up being a point of failure.

Most of the stuff I get is still scrap/e-waste PCs, as I deal directly with two different recyclers and have an "in" with another that's closed to the public.

I have literally an entire 30 gallon tub filled with VIC-20s here that I've pondered getting rid of because I'm fairly sure they all have some problem or another and I don't deal in 8-bit commodore.

Reply 23356 of 27362, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
libby wrote on 2022-12-19, 08:16:

I have literally an entire 30 gallon tub filled with VIC-20s here that I've pondered getting rid of because I'm fairly sure they all have some problem or another and I don't deal in 8-bit commodore.

I am sure there are plenty of VIC-20 owners looking for parts machines. I restored a few myself and with a 32K memory expansion module they are a fun system to play around on.

Reply 23357 of 27362, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Saved the P/I-P55SP4 motherboard. Nothing wrong with it, was corrupted bios. Now both cache and ram detected correctly.

It was the correct flasher was all the troubles I had with other flashers. Use pflash for Asus Pentium boards.

Yay!

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23358 of 27362, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been repairing several motherboards, as long as they have swollen capacitors, it's quite easy for me to fix them, sometimes they need other work, trace repairs, lost smds, bios to rewrite, sometimes you just need to find the correct jumper settings, or the right RAM.
Currently I did some work on various motherboards, in a Gigabyte GA-7ZMMHC, I replaced all the 1200uF 6.3V electrolytic capacitors, I had a bit of difficulty with some holes, which I could not free, because the tin has hardened and I could not melt it.
It's a socket 462 (A), it currently runs on a Duron 1000MHz, for RAM I can only use PC100 or PC133 DIMMs, I believe it's an early generation 462 CPU card, it has integrated video, I'm pretty sure you use part of the RAM as video memory, there is also onboard audio, but no LAN, to add it you need a PCI card or find a CNR.
Previously I restarted a socket 7, SOYO SY-5BT, unfortunately it has a cache problem, one chip PIN (No.8 ) is missing, not having a spare chip, I have to try to do a job, like that which is done on the DALLAS chips, in practice you have to remove a little plastic (above), to weld a wire, which restores contact with the motherboard (of the missing PIN).
It's not an easy job, if you have any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.
Today I worked on an ABIT SE6, I removed all the capacitors (from 1500uF 6.3V), in total there are 18, although visually OK they were all mostly in loss, one with ESR off scale (>40 Ohm), and a 'other open, I haven't soldered the new ones because I want to check the smaller ones (from 100uF 16V), there may be some to change, but I'll know after I test them, I hope they are ok, even if the brand (JACKCON) does not bode well, being the same as the ones I changed.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 23359 of 27362, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Built a new PCIe test bench/high end AM2 build.

* 500w period correct ULT-FX500 SLI certified PSU
* M2N32-SLI
* Athlon 64 x2 4400 (I thought this board had a 6000 parked on it, according to my spreadsheet. Oh well)
* 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066
* 120GB SSD + 320GB HDD
* Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
* Whatever GPU I fancy at the moment

I've had all this shit lying around for ages. The case already held a K9VGM-V and a shitty offbrand power supply and I just got in a couple of higher power draw GPUs I needed to test and I figured if I was swapping the PSU I might as well put the M2N32 SLI to use after 2 years. I'm probably going to order a Phenom x3 740 for this motherboard at some point, since all my high clock speed A64 X2s seem to have walked off (along with the IO shield for this board, which I seem to vaguely recall it having when I purchased it). I'm sure all these things I've misplaced will show up somewhere completely illogical when I'm doing something totally unrelated 6+ months from now.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction