VOGONS

Reply 23900 of 27549, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to get Windows 98 installed on my Compaq Proliant 850R Pentium Pro server I put a voodoo 1 and a Vibra 16 in. The Vibra is only detected as 'Adlib compatible' in device manager and I need to find proper drivers for the scsi controller after this thing refused to pick up on any ide drive I've tried so far in it. I kinda would rather have 95 on there but if it works it works I suppose. Maybe I'll throw in a pci usb card that I have lying around for it too.

Reply 23901 of 27549, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-03-08, 03:40:

I've been using a two speed electric leaf blower for the past 15 years and it works great. I just keep it on it low setting and it get my computer's clean.

For those who don't know, only ever use the blow feature of a vacuum cleaner when near the inside of computer electronics. I read something about static electricity when you use the sucking action.

That being said, I do vaccum the front panels, expansion bays, and fan exhaust areas of computer cases without disassembling them and haven't had any problems.

Reply 23902 of 27549, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-08, 19:09:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-03-08, 03:40:

I've been using a two speed electric leaf blower for the past 15 years and it works great. I just keep it on it low setting and it get my computer's clean.

For those who don't know, only ever use the blow feature of a vacuum cleaner when near the inside of computer electronics. I read something about static electricity when you use the sucking action.

That being said, I do vaccum the front panels, expansion bays, and fan exhaust areas of computer cases without disassembling them and haven't had any problems.

I do the same with the crevice tool to my front vents if dog hair get built up but that's all. For regular cleaning I use my blower.

Reply 23903 of 27549, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also use compressed hair inside and on the circuit boards. But I always get the major dust buildup with the vacuum first. I don't want to just shoot it out into my apartment. If there is a lot of dust, I'll take it into the hallway or outside first.

Reply 23905 of 27549, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I got that computer vacuum setup converted from a car vacuum, I was messing with, with dollar store flex/crack tube toys for hoses, that works pretty well for getting the rough off, though it looks like a plumbus ordered from wish. It's that packed/caked fine dust that's annoying me right now.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23906 of 27549, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent approximately an hour attempting to get an external modem to be detected. Swapped modems, cables, tried umpteen configurations. Wondered how my teenage-self managed to ever get anything working on these machines.

Eventually discovered the serial port itself was disabled on the controller card. Moved one little jumper and suddenly everything worked.

Also, downgraded my 486 DX2-66 to a 486 DX-33. Who needs an extra 33 MHz anyway?

Attachments

• Terminate modem detected.jpg
    Filename
    Terminate modem detected.jpg
    File size
    855.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • USR 33.6 modem.jpg
    Filename
    USR 33.6 modem.jpg
    File size
    375.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486 DX-33.jpg
    Filename
    486 DX-33.jpg
    File size
    231.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23907 of 27549, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was so proud that I managed to install a dual boot system with FreeDOS and XP on a small embedded PC from 2012-ish or so (Zotac Zbox ID80, Atom N2700 CPU, 2GB RAM) until I realized that I would never get sound in DOS from it... it has a Realtek AC97 sound chip and the only possible expansion is through USB ports. No internal ports at all, no serial/parallel... And to add insult to the injury, the manufacturer's driver download page has a DOS section, which goit my hopes up for a second until I realized that it was empty, nothing there. 🙁 My quest for the smallest possible retro machine continues.
(I got so desperate at one point that I even looked at old stuff like Virtual Sound Blaster, and realized what a pain it would be to get to work on this machine, only to get some simulated "soundblaster" sound out of the PC speaker; also it's likely that not even SoftMPU would work because of no serial ports, and I don't think there would be a way to coerce it to work with a USB/serial adapter)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 23908 of 27549, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote on 2023-03-09, 11:44:

I was so proud that I managed to install a dual boot system with FreeDOS and XP on a small embedded PC from 2012-ish or so (Zotac Zbox ID80, Atom N2700 CPU, 2GB RAM) until I realized that I would never get sound in DOS from it... it has a Realtek AC97 sound chip and the only possible expansion is through USB ports. No internal ports at all, no serial/parallel... And to add insult to the injury, the manufacturer's driver download page has a DOS section, which goit my hopes up for a second until I realized that it was empty, nothing there. 🙁 My quest for the smallest possible retro machine continues.
(I got so desperate at one point that I even looked at old stuff like Virtual Sound Blaster, and realized what a pain it would be to get to work on this machine, only to get some simulated "soundblaster" sound out of the PC speaker; also it's likely that not even SoftMPU would work because of no serial ports, and I don't think there would be a way to coerce it to work with a USB/serial adapter)

Did you spot this yet? Still in testing though, and not sure how much CPU it absorbs. SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23909 of 27549, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Debugged the "Fatal System Error" cs:eip of Beneath a Steel Sky with the dos debugger and found out that speech in BaSS on Dos 6.22 does not work when any himem or emm is configured.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 23910 of 27549, by 386DX40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-12, 21:35:

The issue I have with these large ground planes isn't so much removing the leads; those can just be heated up and pulled out. It's the solder that gets stuck in the hole. No amount of heat, suction, or even heated vacuum pumps will work for some holes, and overworking it often ends up damaging or lifting the pad.

May I suggest a mini drill bit set such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/353304814358

If I have a via on a ground plane that I simply can't get the solder out of, I will use a mini drill bit smaller then the via (typically a bit that is the same size as the leg of the new component) and carefully drill the solder out of the via so I can install the new component. Been doing this for years now, have never had a problem. And it beats putting a lot of heat into the board and possibly damaging it, making future repairs more difficult.

I also use one the these Engineer solder suckers made in Japan......they work great! https://www.ebay.com/itm/325175572327

Attachments

• s-l16001.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16001.jpg
    File size
    47.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    107.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Asus A7V8X-LA - Athlon XP 1800+ - 512MB - Geforce FX5200 128MB - SoundBlaster Live - 80GB HDD - Win98SE
DTK PKM-3331Y - Evergreen 5x86 133 - 16MB - WD90C31A 1MB ISA - ESS 1869 ISA - 2.5GB HDD - MS-DOS 6.22

Reply 23912 of 27549, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386DX40 wrote on 2023-03-09, 19:52:
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-12, 21:35:

The issue I have with these large ground planes isn't so much removing the leads; those can just be heated up and pulled out. It's the solder that gets stuck in the hole. No amount of heat, suction, or even heated vacuum pumps will work for some holes, and overworking it often ends up damaging or lifting the pad.

May I suggest a mini drill bit set such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/353304814358

If I have a via on a ground plane that I simply can't get the solder out of, I will use a mini drill bit smaller then the via (typically a bit that is the same size as the leg of the new component) and carefully drill the solder out of the via so I can install the new component. Been doing this for years now, have never had a problem.

Ditto, drill them if they don't come out on a couple of attempts with the sucker. Though another trick I have is getting a stainless steel needle, heating it to glowing and stuffing that through the hole.

Reply 23913 of 27549, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will most likely destroy the via if you use a drill bit. This can have unintended consequences if the layout expects continuity along the traces on both sides of the board. Just heat up the component leg and push it through. No need to risk drilling anything.

Reply 23914 of 27549, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Plating on the via is harder than solder you can feel your way down it real easy as long as you're using a bit that's small enough, cavemen who are gonna attack it at 5000 rpm with a 1/8 drill bit probably broke the board over their knee first.

Reply 23915 of 27549, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:35:

Did you spot this yet? Still in testing though, and not sure how much CPU it absorbs. SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Oh wow, thank you. I'll have to try it. I don't know if it will work for me, because at first sight my case is not supported (Realtek AC97, not Intel). But it never hurts to try.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 23916 of 27549, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually it does install on the Realtek chip in the Zbox. It detects it as Intel HDA. But... none of the games I tried work with it. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 23917 of 27549, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Messing with a Mannesmann dot matrix someone gave me:

printer.jpg
Filename
printer.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The ribbon's well used, but the printer works fine. Found a few replacement cartridges on ebay for a reasonable price, so I'll get to replacing it soon.
May actually have a use for this thing.

Reply 23918 of 27549, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yourepicfailure wrote on 2023-03-10, 08:29:
Messing with a Mannesmann dot matrix someone gave me: printer.jpg […]
Show full quote

Messing with a Mannesmann dot matrix someone gave me:
printer.jpg

The ribbon's well used, but the printer works fine. Found a few replacement cartridges on ebay for a reasonable price, so I'll get to replacing it soon.
May actually have a use for this thing.

It is happily chirping away some characters. I know they are a manufacturer of tools (Mannesmann Werkzeuge), is this the same company?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 23919 of 27549, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It says "Mannesmann Tally" so I can't be sure they're related.

Also, is it normal for the printer to squeeze the print to a little over half the page? I made sure it's set to letter, 8.5x11.