VOGONS

Reply 24900 of 27502, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-15, 16:35:

If you ever watched defragging visualization you will know Windows does all manner of 'clever' write patterns to avoid fragmenting data, sooner or later every sector of the drive will contain some stale long erased data SSD doesnt know about thus has to keep intact.

That's true since Windows XP or 2000, but not true for the Windows 3.X/9.X line. It will write data at the first available sector. I know because I have a 9X/XP dual boot. Even with next to no use, 9X needs a defrag from time to time, and XP pretty much never does.

Reply 24901 of 27502, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I did the "eraser mod" on my fat PS3.

It's been a bit warm here for the past few days and despite reapplying new thermal paste, my PS3 was simply not happy. The CPU was hitting 78 degrees C just sitting there idle. In gaming it was reaching 84 degrees C and eventually got to 86 and shut down, whilst the fan was running at full blast and sounding like it was about to take off!

After applying the "mod" and also slightly bending the CPU bracket upwards, the PS3 now idles at around 53-54 degrees C and whilst gaming hits 59, with the fan running at about 40%. I'll call that a nice win! There's some wiggle room to get the fan running even slower and quieter with Webman, at the expense of a slightly higher CPU temp, but I'm happy with it as-is.

I wasn't happy at the prospect of delidding, so thought I may as well go with the simpler eraser trick. If it damages the board over time due to the extra pressure exerted on the CPU, then so be it, as this thing was destined to die anyway if I didn't do something.

Reply 24902 of 27502, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote on 2023-08-12, 19:34:
Today I did the "eraser mod" on my fat PS3. […]
Show full quote

Today I did the "eraser mod" on my fat PS3.

It's been a bit warm here for the past few days and despite reapplying new thermal paste, my PS3 was simply not happy. The CPU was hitting 78 degrees C just sitting there idle. In gaming it was reaching 84 degrees C and eventually got to 86 and shut down, whilst the fan was running at full blast and sounding like it was about to take off!

After applying the "mod" and also slightly bending the CPU bracket upwards, the PS3 now idles at around 53-54 degrees C and whilst gaming hits 59, with the fan running at about 40%. I'll call that a nice win! There's some wiggle room to get the fan running even slower and quieter with Webman, at the expense of a slightly higher CPU temp, but I'm happy with it as-is.

I wasn't happy at the prospect of delidding, so thought I may as well go with the simpler eraser trick. If it damages the board over time due to the extra pressure exerted on the CPU, then so be it, as this thing was destined to die anyway if I didn't do something.

The CPU bracket bending wasn't probably needed. I have a BC compatible CECHC03 done this way that's hitting the 4 year mark since its first reflow (it only needed another one about two years later after the first one) and still runs strong after I did the eraser mod, and did not require any bracket bending. I did owe my friend a whole tube of MX4 at the time though 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 24903 of 27502, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First time dealing with VLB. I had read it takes a lot of force to seat the cards but I was not truly prepared to experience it. Very Likely to Break!

Attachments

• WP_20230812_004a.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20230812_004a.jpg
    File size
    268.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GA-486VC, meet UP319B
    File license
    Public domain

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 24904 of 27502, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested out a Primax Soundstorm I received recently. Also upgraded it to a full 1024k of onboard memory.

Primax Soundstorm Test 1.jpg
Filename
File size
129.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I was a bit surprised at how easy it was to install. Just plugged it into a system in place of the previous GUS classic and it worked without issue, same drivers and all.

I do like that it's also a more compact card that the GUS classic. Though for my 386 system probably moot since the system easily handles full length cards.

Primax Soundstorm and GUS Classic.jpg
Filename
File size
990.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 24905 of 27502, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-13, 00:28:
Tested out a Primax Soundstorm I received recently. Also upgraded it to a full 1024k of onboard memory. […]
Show full quote

Tested out a Primax Soundstorm I received recently. Also upgraded it to a full 1024k of onboard memory.

I was a bit surprised at how easy it was to install. Just plugged it into a system in place of the previous GUS classic and it worked without issue, same drivers and all.

I do like that it's also a more compact card that the GUS classic. Though for my 386 system probably moot since the system easily handles full length cards.

I just have to say Im more inclined towards that sexy red PCB of the GUS, wish more companies used red PCB boards.

Reply 24906 of 27502, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I suppose it's a Canadian thing. 😉
Hence ATi.

Although MSI and PCChips made quite a lot of red mainboards around/after 2000...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 24907 of 27502, by Astralix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am crawling through all my boxes of old stuff to find a working CPU cooler for my Rohde & Schwarz 486.
And I'll probably do some thermal shots of it to check for dead caps.

And then I proceed in repairing old Rohde & Schwarz CMS radio test sets, which are not a real PC as they use an 80188 for graphics and a 18C186 for all the math and measurement. But still retro 😉

Reply 24908 of 27502, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-08-13, 07:07:

Yeah I suppose it's a Canadian thing. 😉
Hence ATi.

Although MSI and PCChips made quite a lot of red mainboards around/after 2000...

I could be Soviet 😜

I do see your point about Canuks loving the old colour red !

Hell they even have it in their flag 😁

Reply 24909 of 27502, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2023-08-14 00.44.58.jpg
Filename
2023-08-14 00.44.58.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Got this server from the trash some time ago.
Today i had a look at it and got it working again.
Battery mod for the dallas clock and one of the SCSI drives was stuck.
I took it apart and after slight precussive maintanace its fully working again and makes all the right SCSI sounds 😁
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/iSusDqLjn8o

2023-08-14 00.51.27.jpg
Filename
2023-08-14 00.51.27.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And as a bonus it even has !!2!! modems... Awesome... 2 modems is all i ever wanted. Either they will go in the bin or in the case to all the other 500 modems i have...

2023-08-14 00.50.36.jpg
Filename
2023-08-14 00.50.36.jpg
File size
764.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The mainboard is a Elitegroup P5HX-B with fancy white slots.

The case is a little bit beat up... but i think its worth a restauration... Even if i put some different parts in there...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 24910 of 27502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did some internal cleaning and renewing of CPU thermal paste on an 2012 Thinkpad T420s.
Those machines aren't build to be serviced. Both tasks require a complete disassembly of the unit with finding and removing of 30+ screws.
Took me about 3 hours. Thermal paste of course wasn't much more than dry dust.
But now it's ready for a second round.

Reply 24912 of 27502, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a T61 somewhere. It won't boot umless you tap on the area above the fan. I guess it starts overheating. Screen is clapped out. Wish I could juryrig something modern in it's place.

Reply 24913 of 27502, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally have a fresh "512MB Diagnostics CF card" made.
Decided to go for FreeDOS 1.3 with few XMS memory managers even for 286. Also contains bunch of diagnostics and benchmark utilities, and games. And on top of it, bunch of NIC packet drivers and MTCP + intersrv to facilitate any kind of connection to other PCs for data transfer. Also contains bunch of utilities to manage hard drives and floppies.
I also made an "mini-version" of it as floppy disk. It has all connectivity-related capabilities (CD-ROM, NICs, intersrv) and disk management utilities (fdisk, format, etc) to get (any) machine up and running and connected to something else for data transfer.

It should make it possible for me to boot up any AT+ machine (as i also have a ready-to-go NIC with XT-IDE) immediately and with few adjustments to XT-IDE, XT machines should be supported, too.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 24914 of 27502, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-08-14, 10:36:
Finally have a fresh "512MB Diagnostics CF card" made. Decided to go for FreeDOS 1.3 with few XMS memory managers even for 286. […]
Show full quote

Finally have a fresh "512MB Diagnostics CF card" made.
Decided to go for FreeDOS 1.3 with few XMS memory managers even for 286. Also contains bunch of diagnostics and benchmark utilities, and games. And on top of it, bunch of NIC packet drivers and MTCP + intersrv to facilitate any kind of connection to other PCs for data transfer. Also contains bunch of utilities to manage hard drives and floppies.
I also made an "mini-version" of it as floppy disk. It has all connectivity-related capabilities (CD-ROM, NICs, intersrv) and disk management utilities (fdisk, format, etc) to get (any) machine up and running and connected to something else for data transfer.

It should make it possible for me to boot up any AT+ machine (as i also have a ready-to-go NIC with XT-IDE) immediately and with few adjustments to XT-IDE, XT machines should be supported, too.

This is something interesting. Good job!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 24915 of 27502, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally replaced the battery in my BSi/NanTan FMA3500C. So no more Varta. That said, I think NanTan uses boat paint on their motherboards because even scrubbing with 2000 grit sandpaper and Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner did not breech the traces, and neither did the battery acid, so it was a nice easy cleanup. The replacement is a Dell E-series laptop CMOS battery and it is working great. Next is to address that ginormous battery pack that goes on the back - I might be able to replace it or even daisy chain in a Lithium Ion Equivalent with a proper BMC to handle the charging using the old NiCAD system in the laptop.

Attachments

• replacedcmos.jpg
    Filename
    replacedcmos.jpg
    File size
    70.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cmos.jpg
    Filename
    cmos.jpg
    File size
    175.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • gutshot.jpg
    Filename
    gutshot.jpg
    File size
    61.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • fma3500cmosold.jpg
    Filename
    fma3500cmosold.jpg
    File size
    96.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • fma3500c.jpg
    Filename
    fma3500c.jpg
    File size
    19.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 24916 of 27502, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my Roland MT-300S working. It's an oddball boombox that runs midi files off a floppy drive and was sold as a music training device. However, it comes with general midi support and can be used as a poor man's SC-55. It is flakey af and took some trial and error to get working with midi, but it sounds great.

At first it wouldn't play any midi music sent from my computer. Next, I got it to play midi music from my computer, but it only played it back using piano sounds, so I got to play Doom and Duke 3D with a cheesy piano soundtrack. I then got better sounds, but it only played back the drum parts. I don't know exactly what I did to get it working, but after a lot of trial and error and a bunch of factory resets, it now works great.

This thing sounds great! Lost Vikings, in particular, sounds so good with it. It even uses general midi for the sound effects. Even some MT-32 games sound fine. I loaded up Space Quest III and it was decent apart from a weaker bass sound. Given how much an actual SC-55 would go for, I'm really glad that I picked this up for cheap!

Reply 24917 of 27502, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installing Windows 98 SE Select onto a Dell Optiplex GX270. Eizo L367 15" TFT LCD
Intel P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb DDR PC2700, 250Gb ATA HDD 50/50 partition, Gainward Geforce 6200 Low Profile, Adaptec 29160LP U160 controller (for the Pioneer DRM-624X CD ROM changer, only low profile SCSI card I had to hand.)

Reply 24918 of 27502, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Memtested four DDR sticks, each of them 1 GB in size. I'm happy to say they all worked, so I left two of them in the Barton machine I ran the tests on, thus upgrading it from 1.5 gigs to 2 gigs of RAM.

Also, finally finished testing all the AGP graphics cards I have. They are all working on at least one computer out of the two I have with an AGP slot, yay!

Based on the tests I've run, the P3 machine will keep the GeForce 4 MX440 it has had from nearly the beginning of my ownership of said machine and the Barton box will be paired with a Radeon 9600, the only card of mine to get over 200 FPS in Q3 Arena and over 10000 points in both 3DMark 2000 and 2001.

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 24919 of 27502, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Removed a corroded väta battery from an ibm 760cd. Broke both speaker connectors so I had to fix that.. got my hands on some leaded solder and damn, now I can actually solder without much problem at all.

Hopefully it is all working tomorrow.