VOGONS

Reply 24920 of 27499, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2023-08-14, 20:48:

Removed a corroded väta battery from an ibm 760cd. Broke both speaker connectors so I had to fix that.. got my hands on some leaded solder and damn, now I can actually solder without much problem at all.

Hopefully it is all working tomorrow.

Don't get disheartened if things aren't 100% when its back together, I did the same for my 760LD a few months back and after the battery removal, one strip of keyboard keys stopped working. It was just my 'cleaning' - had cleaned off what was left of a via and one that was repaired with a jumper wire it was all working again.

I am pretty stoked right now - years ago when disposing of an ATX case I kept the tray and it's been sitting round used occasionally. A few weeks back I decided to make this into a small open testing case with a baby-AT motherboard in there, this one's the tiny PC partner MVP3 board with an AMD K6-2 450. The power, reset buttons and HD LED are hotglued into a slot bracket so it can all be used from just the ATX brackets side.
It's so cramped that the IDE connectors block off some of the PCI ports, but it gives me AGP, PCI and ISA with a decent TFX power supply. Made mostly from scrap metal and scrap 3d prints:

IMG_1703a.jpg
Filename
IMG_1703a.jpg
File size
587.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_1704a.jpg
Filename
IMG_1704a.jpg
File size
613.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The floppy/CD drive hinges up out of the way of the cards, some design stuff I want to change already is that floppy cable I hard wired onto there is way too short. Gonna make that removable again and improve how the drives are held up, they're sinking down at the back pretty badly. Oh and the USB / parallel need to get out of the way and fit into that ATX shield somehow, gonna keep this metal rather than a 3d print though.

There's been a stack of video cards that I've not tested because my AGP systems are all built and packed away - this new rig makes it easy-ish to test out video cards again 😀 This Voodoo 3 with deep scratches and bashed up memory chips surprised me, it works perfectly with no real repairs. I think it's a Voodoo 3 3000 possibly? The BGA chip looked too clean for a glued on heatsink to have been removed:

IMG_1706a.jpg
Filename
IMG_1706a.jpg
File size
648.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The Voodoo 2 card in there is a Miro Hiscore2 3D which I got a while back, it needed some pins repaired on the RAMDAC but I've had no PCI systems to try it in - also I've had such terrible luck with Voodoo 1 cards that I was putting off testing this Voodoo 2 card. It also works first try - now I need to figure out how to connect the VGA passthrough since I've got no cable. Might try SLI though, since this means I finally have 2x Voodoo 2 cards and both work. The other ones a generic design, but using that generic one as the main card and the Miro Hiscore2 as the SLI secondary card might mean I don't need the special passthrough cable?

IMG_1700a.JPG
Filename
IMG_1700a.JPG
File size
588.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Oh also, 🤣, mixed up MB and GB when using diskpart and accidentally destroyed the filesystem on my 4TB external USB when I meant to clean a 4GB CF card

Reply 24921 of 27499, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I just bought a Dell Dimension 4300, it's still in the car. But I took a sneaking peek inside and discovered it has a Geforce2 MX. Which should be good for Quake 2, Unreal Tournament

Last edited by Hiddenevil on 2023-08-15, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 24923 of 27499, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The pentium 4 era skipped me by, as I was using Athlon by that time.. So it's hard for me to gauge what the p4 can handle

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 24924 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-15, 12:01:

The pentium 4 era skipped me by, as I was using Athlon by that time.. So it's hard for me to gauge what the p4 can handle

I think I played Q2 with a 433 MHz Celeron BITD, and it ran pretty much as well as one can hope. It is, after all, a 1997 game; P4 is overkill.

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 24926 of 27499, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I sold that Digital personal workstation as-is, untested.
Today we tested a few systems:
- Fujitsu Scenic-T. Has P3 1GHz, Matrox G550 and 384MB of ram. Posts etc, but needs new caps.
- A baby-at with a 430TX mobo. CPU is P166, 96MB ram. Posts fine
- IBM Aptiva 2170. Has K6-2/500, 2x64MB ram. And a surprise Bigfoot with NT4. Boots fine!
- Epox P55 VP3. No post, seems to need caps (one fell off)
- Trigon 5114Vu. K6-2/300, 192MB ram. Posts fine.
- Just mobo, cpu and ram (Asrock K7S8X). Three beeps, no post. needs CAPS? tried different RAM.

A few tested GPUs that work just fine:
- GF2mx200
- Voodoo3 2000
- FX5200
Not tested more than that they post:
- Geforce 6600GT
- 3DLabs Oxygen VX1
- Savage 3D
- Matrox MGA-G100A. Posts but seems flaky
- Banshee 16MB. Posts, has artifacts. One RAM ic gets got, and touching it make a nice demo. Ordered new ram.
- Guillemot GeForce256. Does not post, is detected. Flashsoftware will not detect correctly. Might need a reflow/reball.

Reply 24927 of 27499, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-08-15, 01:17:

There's been a stack of video cards that I've not tested because my AGP systems are all built and packed away - this new rig makes it easy-ish to test out video cards again 😀 This Voodoo 3 with deep scratches and bashed up memory chips surprised me, it works perfectly with no real repairs. I think it's a Voodoo 3 3000 possibly? The BGA chip looked too clean for a glued on heatsink to have been removed:
IMG_1706a.jpg

Someone really went out and cut that small part where the S-Video port would have been? Most photos of both 2000 and 3000 have it.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 24928 of 27499, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-15, 12:36:
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-15, 12:01:

I think I played Q2 with a 433 MHz Celeron BITD, and it ran pretty much as well as one can hope. It is, after all, a 1997 game; P4 is overkill.

I agree it is a tad overkill, but compared to my other retro gaming rig, which I built to be a bleeding edge quad core rig from 2008. This Dell Pentium 4 runs at a far more modest pace. Plus the Dell will take Windows 98SE without too much kicking and screaming. My 2008 system runs XP nicely, but it's no DOS machine, unless it's DOSBOX. I was looking on fleabay, trying to price up parts for a nice Windows 98SE system, but to buy individual parts would end up costing more than I can afford. The Dimension 4300 was being sold 30 minutes from my house for £20, it's worth that just to have a decent case to house a project 😀

BTW Does listening to the Morrowind 3 soundtrack CD, on an 80s Panasonic hi-fi count as a retro activity? Technically the youngest part is the compact disc 😜 🤣

Reply 24929 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-15, 15:28:

I agree it is a tad overkill, but compared to my other retro gaming rig, which I built to be a bleeding edge quad core rig from 2008. This Dell Pentium 4 runs at a far more modest pace. Plus the Dell will take Windows 98SE without too much kicking and screaming. My 2008 system runs XP nicely, but it's no DOS machine, unless it's DOSBOX. I was looking on fleabay, trying to price up parts for a nice Windows 98SE system, but to buy individual parts would end up costing more than I can afford. The Dimension 4300 was being sold 30 minutes from my house for £20, it's worth that just to have a decent case to house a project 😀

's cool, my man, chill. I didn't mean to criticize you for using a P4 to play Q2 – my retro rig currently in action is an Athlon XP 3000+, and all I ever play on it is Duke 3D, so... 😄

And I agree re: the case. A nice case, i.e. one that is not absolutely ass to work on or painful to look at, really is worth paying for. I was damn lucky to get a pretty nice Fujitsu-Siemens case from circa 2003 for free recently; of course, I had to fetch it from the guy's home some 40 km from where I live, and since I don't have a car, that was a bit of an adventure in itself... 😏

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 24930 of 27499, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-15, 15:41:
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-15, 15:28:

's cool, my man, chill. I didn't mean to criticize you for using a P4 to play Q2 – my retro rig currently in action is an Athlon XP 3000+, and all I ever play on it is Duke 3D, so... 😄

And I agree re: the case. A nice case, i.e. one that is not absolutely ass to work on or painful to look at, really is worth paying for. I was damn lucky to get a pretty nice Fujitsu-Siemens case from circa 2003 for free recently; of course, I had to fetch it from the guy's home some 40 km from where I live, and since I don't have a car, that was a bit of an adventure in itself... 😏

Wow that sounds like a real trek!

Well it was a lovely drive, went to see a castle afterwards, had home made cake in a café. All in all I'm scoring that as a win, fun outing + vintage tech to boot! 🤣 Now I just have to hook it up and see if the darn thing boots, it's covered in dust. Suspect it's not been used in a loooong time.

Reply 24931 of 27499, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spent the entire night trying to get the COM ports on my 286 working..

..only to find out that the breakout cable I was using was the wrong type.

You see, COM port headers on pretty much every motherboard I know is staggered:

1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8 0

But on this motherboard, it is linear!

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 0

So I had to make converter cables using male to female dupont wires, which eventually worked but made the build look a bit janky and funny. It works though, so not complaining..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24932 of 27499, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are 3 common serial header pinouts.... unless you own every type of cable.. then there are four+

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24933 of 27499, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-15, 19:30:

So I had to make converter cables using male to female dupont wires, which eventually worked but made the build look a bit janky and funny. It works though, so not complaining..

Put a big black shrink sleeve over it. That stuff covers up everything and anything. Nice that you eventually got it working.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 24934 of 27499, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-08-15, 15:28:

IMG_1706a.jpg

Someone really went out and cut that small part where the S-Video port would have been? Most photos of both 2000 and 3000 have it.

I have no idea, it was bought from a recycler / reseller in the UK (or maybe Hungary). I think it's had a rough ride in getting to me since the heatsink and bracket were also gone. Given the damage to the RAM chips it's likely it's had a few impacts in its journey.

Today the Miro Hiscore2 3D got a 3d printed mounting bracket and the small test bench PC got each of my problem issues fixed, now the drives do easily move out of the way to get to the card slots, and a B: drive can be plugged in easily - this system is probably going to be my all in one test system compared to the ISA SBC systems that I usually use.

The USB / parallel are on the ATX plate now. That was mostly dremeled but I found out that hammering a nail / sharp thing into the plate where holes need to be, is much easier than drilling, then just grind off the warped extra metal.

Attachments

Reply 24935 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
20230816_215613.jpg
Filename
20230816_215613.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This was my evening...

Reply 24936 of 27499, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_1706a.jpg

Looks like the PCB had break-out tabs and contour routing for it, though ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 24937 of 27499, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-16, 20:34:

IMG_1706a.jpg

Looks like the PCB had break-out tabs and contour routing for it, though ...

I have a ELSA Victory II-A16 wich has the same cut out... If i remember right this was some kind of standard for a specific case type or something like that...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 24938 of 27499, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-16, 20:10:

This was my evening...

I can still remember how exciting this was. The productivity loss from including solitaire with every copy of Windows must have been staggering.

On a similar note, I played a lot of shareware as a kid without ever understanding that it wasn't the full game. I was never disappointed.

Reply 24939 of 27499, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-08-17, 06:10:
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-16, 20:10:

This was my evening...

I can still remember how exciting this was. The productivity loss from including solitaire with every copy of Windows must have been staggering.

On a similar note, I played a lot of shareware as a kid without ever understanding that it wasn't the full game. I was never disappointed.

A lot of shareware games gave you more than enough content to keep you busy for awhile. The shareware versions of games like Wolfenstein could keep you busy for hours. We also didn't have huge backlogs back then, so we'd just replay the same games over again once we completed them.