VOGONS

Reply 25040 of 27499, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stege wrote on 2023-08-24, 04:31:

Updated the BIOS on my T40 to 3.23 then replaced the old 1.5GHz with a Dothan 1.7GHz. Replaced the BIOS battery and added a mini-PCI wireless card (BCM943224). Unfortunately, it's whitelisted so will have to dig up after a workaround. Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Search for no-1802.com. Worked on my T42 and should work on a T40 as well.

Reply 25041 of 27499, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-23, 21:22:

Tried a CF-IDE adapter on the good old Aptiva 2168 (P75), couldn't get it to work reliably, nor could the system boot using it. Will probably try again with another adapter and/or card later.

I have had strange compatibility issues with some CF adapters. I always thought that the ones with the little transistor packages were better than just simple resistors, but these adapters ended up having problems.

See here for more information:

Why does this CompactFlash to IDE adapter behave differently?

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-09-22, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25042 of 27499, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-23, 21:22:

Tried a CF-IDE adapter on the good old Aptiva 2168 (P75), couldn't get it to work reliably, nor could the system boot using it. Will probably try again with another adapter and/or card later.

I could never get a CF-IDE to work reliably in my PS/1 DX2-66 (basically the father of the Aptiva in all respects) either, I think that is a road better not taken..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25043 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dunno, folks, it might be something else: to replace the CF card, I added another drive to the Aptiva, a 6.4 gig Fujitsu spinning disk from '99, and it's displaying the same symptoms... Namely, everything seems to work in DOS (FDISK, FORMAT, XCOPY, running Duke 3D...), but when I try to even open any of the drives on the second disk in Windows 3.1, it immediately reboots the whole system. And in a kind of a hard way, too, as the BIOS then does the whole memory check routine.

What a weird thing.

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 25044 of 27499, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-24, 08:39:

I dunno, folks, it might be something else: to replace the CF card, I added another drive to the Aptiva, a 6.4 gig Fujitsu spinning disk from '99, and it's displaying the same symptoms... Namely, everything seems to work in DOS (FDISK, FORMAT, XCOPY, running Duke 3D...), but when I try to even open any of the drives on the second disk in Windows 3.1, it immediately reboots the whole system. And in a kind of a hard way, too, as the BIOS then does the whole memory check routine.

What a weird thing.

Do you have an IDE CD-ROM on the same chain? Moving the CD-ROM to the IDE controller on the sound card helped tremendously with IDE flakiness on my PS/1. For SOME reason it was not behaving well with IDE CD-ROMs, being less tolerant of some than others but ultimately not being stable with any..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25045 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-24, 08:58:

Do you have an IDE CD-ROM on the same chain? Moving the CD-ROM to the IDE controller on the sound card helped tremendously with IDE flakiness on my PS/1. For SOME reason it was not behaving well with IDE CD-ROMs, being less tolerant of some than others but ultimately not being stable with any..

No, it's alone on the second channel, set to MASTER. Same as the CF-IDE was.

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 25046 of 27499, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if that's "retro" enough to be mentioned here but managed to add a NMVe PCI option ROM to some older AM3 mainboard's BIOS (AMI).
That one was featuring just "slow" SATA-II ports for SSDs as the only bootable interfaces (besides some ancient less-modern IDE & floppy ports).
But with a simple and passive M.2 to PCIe adapter it is now possible to boot from modern NMVe M.2 SSDs on this non-UEFI board.

Speed-wise it's not that huge leap compared to SATA-II rates (mainly limited by the supported PCIe revision and link width) but still.
About 420 MByte/s seq. read and 320 MByte/s seq. write on a PCIe 2.0 x1 port are still better than what's possible with SATA-II.

This was some research project I was on for some time now.
I'm very impressed that it worked out at all.
Thinking about what boards to "fix" next...

Reply 25047 of 27499, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After ~25 years, I'm getting back into 486s, it seems.

I got a good price on a 486 VLB board recently, and started testing it out. At first there were stability problems with the L2 cache, but apparently the chips just needed to be reseated. I think one of the jumpers on the board was also set wrong.
I haven't touched a 486 since the 90s. It's a nice change to get away from PCI slots, and I love how discrete all the parts are on a 486, it feels a lot more like a proper pre-95 DOS system.

I also have an ISA-only 486 board that doesn't work, but I'm feeling a renewed enthusiasm to try to fix it.

The 486 boards (especially the ISA-only board) are small enough to fit comfortably in a small Baby AT case that's been sitting around, and which has a MHz display on it. I don't know anything else I'd want to put in that case, so basically there's no reason not to build a 486.

I was anticipating a DOS build with an Intel socket-4 Pentium board - but it's a big board. I'm realizing the 486 makes more sense because of that small case. So the 1993 Pentium is starting to look redundant. Maybe I'll do both, but I'm coming to grips with the idea that the Pentium isn't going to last and the 486 will probably be the one to keep. It's definitely looking more interesting to me right now.

Reply 25048 of 27499, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-24, 09:04:

Only thing I can see is to put a new SS14 (I don't think it is that) and solder the power plug (two pins look week on solder).
Probably a more sophisticated design could help, with more components...
Many times people complain but the adapters are the bare minimum.

Checked voltage rails? is +5V good, 3.3?

Today my english is bad but you get the idea I hope 😀

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-08-24, 11:37. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 25049 of 27499, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-24, 11:01:

Your English looks OK to me. There are many native English speakers who can't write as well as you do.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 25051 of 27499, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Only thing I can see is to put a new SS14 (I don't think it is that) and solder the power plug (two pins look week on solder). P […]
Show full quote

Only thing I can see is to put a new SS14 (I don't think it is that) and solder the power plug (two pins look week on solder).

As the same problems happen with an actual hard disk at well, I don't think the CF-IDE adapter is (solely) to blame. And I can't solder anyway. (Boo! Hiss!)

I'll test with a different IDE cable later and maybe start a new thread if the problems persist. It's not critical, just inconvenient.

Reply 25052 of 27499, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amigopi wrote on 2023-08-24, 11:59:
Only thing I can see is to put a new SS14 (I don't think it is that) and solder the power plug (two pins look week on solder). P […]
Show full quote

As the same problems happen with an actual hard disk at well, I don't think the CF-IDE adapter is (solely) to blame. And I can't solder anyway. (Boo! Hiss!)

I'll test with a different IDE cable later and maybe start a new thread if the problems persist. It's not critical, just inconvenient.

🤣 - we do what we can, if it works it's success!
Otherwise it's an excuse to go buy a new system to both console and make us post here with confidence 😀

With the lazy temp of 35°C I'm absolutely not doing any soldering. I'm doing all the "cold" work I can on my machines.

Reply 25053 of 27499, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-08-23, 18:07:
I transferred a Kaimei MB with a p166MMX to a cleaner case. Man, those baby-AT cases can be tight :-) Hitachi 4x CD-rom, Teac 5. […]
Show full quote

I transferred a Kaimei MB with a p166MMX to a cleaner case. Man, those baby-AT cases can be tight 😀
Hitachi 4x CD-rom, Teac 5.25" floppy and a Mitsumi 3,5" floppy. All should work... I've heard that before though.
I will have to pull some RAM to get a "smart amount". Now it's at 96MB, consisting of 4xSIMM + 2xDIMM. I guess 64MB would be more than enough for this.
DOS6,22 + Windows 95 is what I had in mind. No clue about the sound card yet. I've got some Sound blasters.
For GPU I think it'll be an S3 or similar with a Voodoo1.

Hooh. What a PITA to pull that MB out for pics 😀
Had a VERY odd RAM config, 4x32MB simm + 2x16MB dimm which showed as 96MB. Go figure.
CT3600 as sound card, 6,4GB Quantum fireball (yes yes it's a bit large) and a 3com PCI 😀
VGA-card became a Matrox Mystique. Voodoo1 to be added when I get my passthrough cables and test them. OS installation pending...

Reply 25054 of 27499, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2023-08-24, 11:01:

I got a good price on a 486 VLB board recently, and started testing it out. At first there were stability problems with the L2 cache, but apparently the chips just needed to be reseated. I think one of the jumpers on the board was also set wrong.
I haven't touched a 486 since the 90s. It's a nice change to get away from PCI slots, and I love how discrete all the parts are on a 486, it feels a lot more like a proper pre-95 DOS system.

Agreed, there is something enjoyable about working on older AT-era hardware with discrete controllers and other hardware.

Plus the ISA-era of sound cards is imho the most interesting era for computer audio. Lots of fun to be had there as well.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 25055 of 27499, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-24, 13:03:

With the lazy temp of 35°C I'm absolutely not doing any soldering. I'm doing all the "cold" work I can on my machines.

The 35 degrees might otoh give you ac boost for the soldering temperature 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 25056 of 27499, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-08-22, 14:33:

Back to the drawing board... To be certain the memory chips are good, I got a fresh G400 on the way which I will be testing first.

DSC_5797~2.JPG

I wish you luck with this, I don't have the guts yet to try this on my only working MS6168 board yet.
Have you seen this video though? You need to change a resistor position for the higher density RAM to essentially access its upper half using one of the address lines as a chip select line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC40KY_e6K8

btw are you soldering the QFP memory chips down with hot air? Given the exposed pins I'd just hand solder them instead with a good amount of flux.

I found this mini hot plate thing on ebay (a cheapified clone of the miniware hotplate) for £20 and am gonna give it a go, it's a bit small for a motherboard though 😀 But it might work for fixing some video cards

hotplate.jpg
Filename
hotplate.jpg
File size
36.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 25057 of 27499, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-24, 15:30:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-24, 13:03:

The 35 degrees might otoh give you ac boost for the soldering temperature 🤣

It's 35, not 350... 😀

Btw, it's easy to speak when you have a max of 22°C........ Only writing it made me feel a tab bit cooler 🤣

Anecdote: I was doing some sorting in my work folder. It was hot and, as I was listening to some YT history stuff, it went on playing "avoid frostbite winter camping".
Humour is the universal spice of life.

Reply 25058 of 27499, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Removed some stubborn heatsinks.

Attachments

• Heatsink removal 1.jpg
    Filename
    Heatsink removal 1.jpg
    File size
    738.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Heatsink removal 2.jpg
    Filename
    Heatsink removal 2.jpg
    File size
    648.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 25059 of 27499, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:38:

Good thing I did this too, I found a load of corrosion on the Trident 8900CL-B card's RAMDAC that caused the display to go all crazy. It turns out this is also a fast ISA card once the 0-wait states setting is enabled, pretty good for a VGA card that can do 8-bit too.
IMG_1750 (Custom).JPG

Had been a while since I last put my 486 through its paces. I always prioritise running games at full window before anything, and the Trident Quadtel TVGA8900CL 1MB surprised me, didn't remember Doom ran so well with it and a DX2-66. A little less performance at high detail but comparing to low detail it's honestly not that much of an improvement for me, and the fluidity and extra fps at low detail tips it for me. Duke 3D doesn't perform that great at high detail, and low detail's quality is unacceptable for me, so it's a no go on this PC.

But what I didn't expect was Terminal Velocity to run like it did on this PC. I mean, how can this perform at a very acceptable level, and Duke 3D does not?...