VOGONS

Reply 25721 of 27479, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've got plumbing putty, or a cat that uses clay litter you have some spare clean of you can wet into thick paste, use it to make a dam around the die to hold any stuff you don't want to get on the rest of the board. If you don't wanna hose carb cleaner around much because of all the volatiles misted out the can with it, the part that might be working is mineral spirits/varsol/varnish thinner/white spirit kind of stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25724 of 27479, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello. need your help.
Can you tell me the type of regulator for your Soyo SY-5VA0, as well as the values of the five large capacitors? I have one that was cannibalized and I want to try to repair it.

Reply 25725 of 27479, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I upgraded an 80mm fan inside of a Dell PSU for an Athlon 64-era mini tower. Luckily, the fan was not soldered to the circuit board, which made the replacement a lot simpler. I did have to swap positive and negative pins for it to fit into the header though.

20231027_222237.jpg
Filename
20231027_222237.jpg
File size
751.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20231027_222246.jpg
Filename
20231027_222246.jpg
File size
709.58 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20231027_224621.jpg
Filename
20231027_224621.jpg
File size
289.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20231027_224653.jpg
Filename
20231027_224653.jpg
File size
241.64 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20231027_230137.jpg
Filename
20231027_230137.jpg
File size
824.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 25726 of 27479, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heatgun defeats the purpose as it evaporates the brake cleaner quicker. Wet it with the brake cleaner then using a piece of plastic, scrape it off. Keep it wet whilst you work it.
Use plastic guitar pick or card, try not to use harder material, it'll scratch it.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 25727 of 27479, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have used acetone and a cotton swab for getting the silicon clean of that hard stuff and just knife to get bulk of it a heatsink + acetone and cottonswab for the leftovers.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 25728 of 27479, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does acetone not damage the plastic on plastic CPUs? Never used it for that worry 😀 It's OK on ceramic, but I know some plastics are affected by it.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 25730 of 27479, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gmaverick2k wrote on 2023-10-28, 14:54:
debs3759 wrote on 2023-10-28, 12:38:

Does acetone not damage the plastic on plastic CPUs? Never used it for that worry 😀 It's OK on ceramic, but I know some plastics are affected by it.

https://youtu.be/d3Qmm6Tegb4?si=oKHihbGSHKPLzIAP&t=200
^this guy mentions acetone is a no no

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 25731 of 27479, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2023-10-28, 12:38:

CPUs have no plastic on them to damage. PCB material is immune to acetone (as is the substance holding silicon to the PCB and the epoxy package of most other kind of chips), you can toss the entire thing in acetone and leave it there for hours and nothing happens besides all the bacteria dying and possibly dissolving with all the crap from whatever meat-machines handling it deposited on it 🤣.

Capacitor sleeves and some plastics on some connectors can be affected but most of parts are not going to have any problems with acetone. From what I know it is even used in cleanup steps in some electronics assembly processes before water cleanable fluxes became available. From my experience, most materials used in electronics don't seem to care about acetone one bit.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 25732 of 27479, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might be removing inked markings though. Most of the plastics for electronics are either thermosetting plastics or two part resins, which are not much affected apart from by long term soak. Thermoplastics like heatshrink are gonna get dissolved quite easily. Those are fairly rare otherwise but may be used in connector shells.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25733 of 27479, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brake cleaner:
Brakes are normally surrounded by the wheel arch wich is made from plastic. Wich in turn directlly connects to the painted parts of the car. Also the hose to the brakes is made from rubber.
If you use brake cleaner it always sprays a little bit on plastic, rubber and painted surfaces, so it is not welcome if it desolves these types of material...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25734 of 27479, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-28, 15:13:

Brake cleaner:
Brakes are normally surrounded by the wheel arch wich is made from plastic. Wich in turn directlly connects to the painted parts of the car. Also the hose to the brakes is made from rubber.
If you use brake cleaner it always sprays a little bit on plastic, rubber and painted surfaces, so it is not welcome if it desolves these types of material...

Brake cleaner is actually not safe for plastic and rubber. Overspray on those components should be avoided. This is a common misconception. Anything that is a solvent to petroleum products will also be a solvent for plastic and rubber.

No, brake cleaner is generally not safe on rubber components. The strong solvents in brake cleaner can damage many automotive rubber parts like hoses, seals, bushings, and tires. Brake cleaner can degrade rubber by dissolving antioxidants and accelerators added during manufacturing. Use specialty rubber cleaners instead.

Reply 25735 of 27479, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-28, 17:05:
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-28, 15:13:

Brake cleaner:

Brake cleaner is actually not safe for plastic and rubber. Overspray on those components should be avoided. This is a common misconception. Anything that is a solvent to petroleum products will also be a solvent for plastic and rubber.

No, brake cleaner is generally not safe on rubber components. The strong solvents in brake cleaner can damage many automotive rubber parts like hoses, seals, bushings, and tires. Brake cleaner can degrade rubber by dissolving antioxidants and accelerators added during manufacturing. Use specialty rubber cleaners instead.

I ment if you have overspray and wipe it off after you are done. Not leave it on there.
On short contact i never had any problems on rubber, plastics and even paint.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25737 of 27479, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repaired a 386 board, traces only. Varta leaked but just a wee bit. Nothing disastrous.
Replaced a tantalum that had no "cap" on it, reading as a 50 ohms resistance.
Boots no problem now.
No sh*t the seller couldn't make it power on.

The other cyrix 486DLC board booted ok.
Just needed a battery otherwise it won't allow to be set, freezing.
Had 2 ram sticks.
No sh*t either he couldn't make it post, just two simms...
This one is not present in TRW, I'll send them stuff.

🤣

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 25738 of 27479, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-25, 21:17:
First tests. I think i will make my own led controller instead of using a pre made one. Maybe an Arduino set up to take serial c […]
Show full quote
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-23, 18:05:

The lack of individual addressable RGB LEDs and orange car wrapping film in modded early 2000s industrial PCs is not accaptable!

2023-10-23 19.09.01.jpg

I cant wait to see how it will turn out. I try to just use the leds in placec where you cant see them directly (below the backplane, behind fans ...) .

First tests.
I think i will make my own led controller instead of using a pre made one.
Maybe an Arduino set up to take serial commands to control the leds. Then i could write small dos and windows programs to control the leds... that would be awesome.

2023-10-25 23.10.38.jpg

OH. I have found a small problem with my construction...
The lights work great, BUT they cause weird things.

I have mounted 24 LEDs on the backside of the case so they light up the mainboard/backplane from behind.
If the LEDs are on (seperate external power supply) the Processor of the SBC is recognised as 800MHZ instead of 1GHZ, and the system crashes from the slightest activity.
I am 100 percent sure nothing unisolated is touching the case or any components... so it must be electrical interference.

Very interesting.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25739 of 27479, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-29, 03:17:
OH. I have found a small problem with my construction... The lights work great, BUT they cause weird things. […]
Show full quote
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-25, 21:17:
First tests. I think i will make my own led controller instead of using a pre made one. Maybe an Arduino set up to take serial c […]
Show full quote
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-23, 18:05:

The lack of individual addressable RGB LEDs and orange car wrapping film in modded early 2000s industrial PCs is not accaptable!

2023-10-23 19.09.01.jpg

I cant wait to see how it will turn out. I try to just use the leds in placec where you cant see them directly (below the backplane, behind fans ...) .

First tests.
I think i will make my own led controller instead of using a pre made one.
Maybe an Arduino set up to take serial commands to control the leds. Then i could write small dos and windows programs to control the leds... that would be awesome.

2023-10-25 23.10.38.jpg

OH. I have found a small problem with my construction...
The lights work great, BUT they cause weird things.

I have mounted 24 LEDs on the backside of the case so they light up the mainboard/backplane from behind.
If the LEDs are on (seperate external power supply) the Processor of the SBC is recognised as 800MHZ instead of 1GHZ, and the system crashes from the slightest activity.
I am 100 percent sure nothing unisolated is touching the case or any components... so it must be electrical interference.

Very interesting.

Let me guess, the LEDs are being PWM driven? If so, you've made a giant antenna.