VOGONS

Reply 26560 of 27509, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok call me brain dead but went looking for a NOS 4x Sanyo scsi cdrom bought 10-20 years ago, found it. Inside the bigger box it was in, found a few adapters covered by anti-static foam.
Had totally forgotten about them, some with felt pen notes on their backs from 1999-2000. I seriously had forgotten about these after moving last time.
And yes my garage is a dumpster of it's own kind (maybe should have posted this in the "dumpster find" topic 🤣.....
here is pictures of most what was under that cdrom....and picture of the cdrom was looking for (sorta knew where it was, just not was under it 🙁 ).
And a bag from Fry's dated 3/15/2000 for a P67SVA (do not ask me about that, have no clue what it was). And NO did not get around to installing the cdrom... got side-tracked 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2652.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2652.JPG
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2653.JPG
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2654.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2654.JPG
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 26561 of 27509, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-28, 04:40:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-28, 04:39:
Demetrio wrote on 2024-01-27, 12:49:
This morning I went to a pick-up point to get the italian version of Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar […]
Show full quote

This morning I went to a pick-up point to get the italian version of Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar

hl2-raising-the-bar-it.jpeg

I bought it from a local seller for 40€.

Considering that the only insertion I saw, other than this one, is on Amazon for over 300€ and that the italian version is very rare, I think I made a good deal 🙂

The used book market is often worse than the eBay market for vintage computers. Your book is listed at $465 on Canadian Amazon. I sometimes see guys in thrift stores that are scanning all of the books with their phone to see if they can scalp them. That really ticks me off because a lot of low income people shop at thrift stores to save money.

Scalpers are a fucking plague, not sure how you would go about stopping such activity either.

I agree. The thrift stores could put a limit on how many books someone could purchase at once. I've seen guys fill up entire shopping carts with books, so even a ten book limit would have an impact. It wouldn't eliminate it entirely, but at least they wouldn't be able to clear out the entire book selection. Another thing is that I doubt these guys are even making much money doing this, especially in Canada with our high postage costs. They would probably make more money taking on an extra job a few hours a week for minimum wage.

Reply 26562 of 27509, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2024-01-27, 12:49:
This morning I went to a pick-up point to get the italian version of Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar […]
Show full quote

This morning I went to a pick-up point to get the italian version of Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar

hl2-raising-the-bar-it.jpeg

I bought it from a local seller for 40€.

Considering that the only insertion I saw, other than this one, is on Amazon for over 300€ and that the italian version is very rare, I think I made a good deal 🙂

The used book market is often worse than the eBay market for vintage computers. Your book is listed at $465 on Canadian Amazon. I sometimes see guys in thrift stores that are scanning all of the books with their phone to see if they can scalp them. That really ticks me off because a lot of low income people shop at thrift stores to save money.

I found a new insertion on eBay for the italian version, for ~60€: https://www.ebay.it/itm/386287844148

It's really strange that the original version is much more expensive, considering that the italian one is rarer (maybe it's because HL2 is "underground" in Italy compared to the USA).

The used book market is often worse than the eBay market for vintage computers

Don't know much about used book market, but yeah, vintage PC market prices have gone up too much.

I remember watching this video from LGR, where he mentions that he paid 20$ for the IBM PC 5150... well, now insertions are over 1000$ 😁

Reply 26563 of 27509, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dug out this Chaintech 9BJA0 w/ a 2.5GHz P4 Northwood inside, IIRC bought somewhere near winter last year.

file.php?mode=view&id=184004

Suggestions for a build? I'm kinda at a loss of what to pair with it. I do have a PSU with that AUX connector (though I recall it can go unused, from prior test experiences with the board.), a Seasonic 400W (that I jokingly stuck an LC-B400ATX sticker on 🤣)

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26564 of 27509, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to upgrade my 486 to an Am5x86-P75 only to discover that the one I got from eBay has a broken pin. It's not that I couldn't fix it if I absolutely wanted it, but it's not my job as it doesn't match the product description.

Well, first time that I will need to ask for a refund.

broken-pin.jpg

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26565 of 27509, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It'll more than likely run just fine without it, and I would just repair it, but I do live in Australia and I cant be fucked trying to return shit internationally and eBay is more hassle than I can be bothered with if the CPU works ok even with a broken pin.

Only time I would bother with a refund or contacting the seller if it was local or was expensive.

Reply 26566 of 27509, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That pin is Address line 17, essential for normal operation.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 26567 of 27509, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2024-01-28, 11:55:

That pin is Address line 17, essential for normal operation.

In that case I would just repair it, no biggie. I feel that as a retro part collector it doesn't matter to me if the part I buy needs minor simple repairs, parts get damaged during shipping all the time and this repair would restore it to full working order. It would certainly be easier and faster than trying for a refund and return on such a small part with a pretty simple repair. Sadly returning this CPU would very likely see it being tossed to e-waste rather being repaired by the seller.

Now if it was something that cannot be repaired, is expensive or requires repairs outside my capabilities then yes I would be letting the seller know, that said I do live in Australia so returning stuff is rather expensive, but if I was in the US or EU I could see myself returning stuff more often.

Reply 26568 of 27509, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me it is no brainer, I fire up the soldering iron and fix it. It is a pain to solder stuff on a ceramic package however, good heat is necessary from a soldering iron or the tip cools down and may even get stuck on the chip 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 26569 of 27509, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2024-01-28, 12:18:

For me it is no brainer, I fire up the soldering iron and fix it. It is a pain to solder stuff on a ceramic package however, good heat is necessary from a soldering iron or the tip cools down and may even get stuck on the chip 🤣

A little Pre-Heat or a hot bed will help with that !

Sure the CPU can handle that, its built for heat 🤣.

Reply 26570 of 27509, by Baleog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I have finally once again a working SNES. This has been a bit of a project that started last week.
It started when I saw some cheap DC-DC switching regulators on Aliexpress. I have been curious about these for a while and the price was right. So I bought a couple of 7805s just to test:

reg.JPG
Filename
reg.JPG
File size
58.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have some Sinclair ZX computers that I would like to run a little cooler but for my experiment I chose my SNES that has a badly broken case.
First I just took a photo of the screen with the normal 7805:

SNESorg.JPG
Filename
SNESorg.JPG
File size
76.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And then I changed it to the DC-DC variant. Well it worked but now I had these horizontal lines on the screen which honestly was anticipated:

snesbad.JPG
Filename
snesbad.JPG
File size
75.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So now I tried to add some filter capacitors of different capacitances and somewhere around here it all went wrong. I don't know if it was ESD, a charged capacitor that I shorted to something or just that the SNES didn't like the treatment but suddenly the SNES was dead. I did all the checks I could but the console was completely dead. I let it sit for 10 minutes and felt all the chips and the only one that was hot was a clock chip. It was of course a Nintendo branded chip so I had to look around for a spares console online and so I got one "untested" the same evening for 6 euros. As you can imagine it was dead on arrival but now I could change the chip, so I did and no change. Well I did some more experiments with the new board and found that it would actually boot with a multicart. Great, but no games were working, some started to load and froze but most just gave me a black screen. What threw me off was that Rareware games seemed to work perfectly, it played Donkey Kong country 3 without problems and some other Rare-games worked to some extent. I still cant understand why they worked as well as they did. There are diagnostic carts for the SNES but I couldn't get them to load through the multicart (later I found out that you have to change some settings in the menu to get it to work).

Somewhat perplexed I started researching a bit more and found that the old SNES-consoles have primarily CPUs that go bad, but the other proprietary
chips too. I have never in the PC world seen that CPUs can be partially working. Either they work or they don't, but it seems that the SNES CPU, which is an improved version of the 65c02, can execute some code despite being broken. The failures seem to happen at an alarming rate which is somewhat worrying. There are also some SMD-caps that leak on these consoles and destroy traces, one of them because Nintendo actually used a polarized cap instead of non-polarized one.

Anyway, for a last hail Mary I changed the CPUs between the boards and wouldn't you know it, the new board starts working!

burnin.JPG
Filename
burnin.JPG
File size
25.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm an amateur at best at soldering so I was really surprised and happy that it worked. I used hot air for desoldering and then drag soldered them. First I tried solder paste but that was just a mess.

Mixed PCs - Midi racks - Micros and more

Reply 26571 of 27509, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading PC World (January, 1990), lauging.

Attachments

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 26572 of 27509, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2024-01-28, 12:18:

It's difficult but can be done!

CPU pin repair of an Intel 486DX-50

Reply 26573 of 27509, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to build my own Z80-based computer, with lots of RAM (through memory banking) and whatnot.
Big inspiration for me is John Winans and his Youtube channel, specifically this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oekucjDcNbA&l … AEdgSQ4cz7HQZX5

I have few ideas what i want to do differently, but it will be mostly the same design probably.

But i hate the idea of adding pile of 74-series chips for bunch of AND, OR, NAND, XOR and whatever else logic on the board.
So i started investigating how to program GAL chips. Found some scrap board in cellar that had bunch of them on it (both 16v8 and 22v10 variants) and just now i did my first logic programming! A xor B with separate output-enable pin feature. It works!

All my glue logic will be inside those chips!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 26574 of 27509, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been working on my Asus TX97-EX DOS 6.22 build.

Getting it setup to use both the AWE64 and OPTi 82C930 sound cards (batch files FTW!), and getting it setup to use as a "test bench" for other PCI/ISA hardware of that era so I can test cards on a known good system. Oh, and having a blast with the GoTek Floppy Emulator, such a great tool. 😀

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 26575 of 27509, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dug up this grim reminder to society.

file.php?mode=view&id=184057

IBM Deskstar 60GXP, 20.4GB. You'd be surprised to find this thing still works and is as fast as ever.

I'm thinking of pairing it with a ceramic Duron. Just to see how "cheap" can I go.
Any GPU suggestions for a KT133 based ECS K7VZA and a 850MHz Duron?

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26576 of 27509, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the better part of a week I have been fighting god IBM. For what reason? Well I managed to snag a PS/2.

IMG_2882.jpg
Filename
IMG_2882.jpg
File size
467.7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And not just any PS/2, a fancy one that has a speaker on the front, a 2.88MB Floppy drive and a debilitating tumor SCSI Caddy CD Drive.

IMG_2883.jpg
Filename
IMG_2883.jpg
File size
310.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's also a somewhat better version of the M57, as it has an XGA-2 card, and a funky little 486 instead of the 386.

IMG_2885.jpg
Filename
IMG_2885.jpg
File size
437.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_2886.jpg
Filename
IMG_2886.jpg
File size
424.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This really just means 60MHz instead of 20. The reason I have been fighting it for a week is that I don't have any CD caddies, and I have to scrounge the internet for the restore disks and the 2.88MB images for the bootable floppies that accompany them. I was only able to get the system going my booting a DOS 6.22 installer disk, using DISKCOPY from freedos to make a floppy, then loading EDIT from the DOS floppy, switching back to the OS/2 boot floppy and editing the config.sys to ignore IBM's CD driver not wanting to work with anything but an approved vendor list from 1992 for CD drives. All of this so I could use the ZULUSCSI that bounces between my macintoshes to load and install the OS. Of course, only the oldest version of the CD images worked, so I am working with OS/2 2.0.

IMG_2898.jpg
Filename
IMG_2898.jpg
File size
1004.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now I just need to figure out how to get a somewhat more up to date version of OS/2 2.11 on to it, then figure out if I can manage to get some software going beyond just my 3.5" copy of Wing Commander, which I am yet to actually try.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 26578 of 27509, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went to the VCF System Source Repair Workshop event this weekend and picked a few things up. Met a lot of fellow retro enthusists. Was a good time!

Attachments

Reply 26579 of 27509, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it an Asus K7M?

On my side I:
- Finally got an adapter for my Voodoo 3 3500 (I didn’t get the blue squid cable with the card), and it’s the first time that I can see something 😅 The card works perfectly fine and it’s now in my K6-3.
- Tested 4 CF cards from aliexpress, they all seem to work correctly
- Tested 2 IDE to CF adapters on my 486. One of the adapters (Delock, bought locally) works fine and is detected by the BIOS. The other adapter (cheap Aliexpress) works on a more modern computer but the 486 doesn’t auto-detect the disk (with the same CF card)
- The seller from my 5x86 with a missing pin will send me another one, and I can just keep this one

A good day tinkering. As I’m new to Compact Flash altogether I now need to investigate why one card works and the other not, and how the cards report their « geometry ».

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.