VOGONS

Reply 27040 of 27504, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-17, 23:31:

Created a file with all the components I have to buy.
Not as long as I expected, not short either.

Just started the same thing!

I've got so many parts/components I have no idea what I got or how many. Figured it was time to catalog it all. 😜

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 27041 of 27504, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-17, 23:31:

Created a file with all the components I have to buy.
Not as long as I expected, not short either.

Can we see the list? 😀

Reply 27042 of 27504, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-03-17, 18:48:
Made my first contribution to Archive.org! […]
Show full quote

Made my first contribution to Archive.org!

If anyone from the UK remembers Tiny Computers, I just uploaded a system restore CD and floppy disc I found in my attic recently. Not even sure why I had them, but we did have a Tiny PC we bought new from one of their retail outlets in 1997, so it would have been to do with that despite being from 18 months later.

https://archive.org/details/tiny-computers-op … 95-restore-pack

Tiny_logo.gif

a note of gratitude! whenever this is done it helps others in a practical way and also is an act of preservation

Reply 27043 of 27504, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StriderTR wrote on 2024-03-18, 06:54:

I've got so many parts/components I have no idea what I got or how many. Figured it was time to catalog it all. 😜

Done that and it took some time. Now to know what I have I just open my file and check.
Saves a lot of time.

zuldan wrote on 2024-03-18, 09:46:

Can we see the list? 😀

No, as it is full of personal notes. Maybe an edited list later on.
Anyway, there are just the latest things I need to repair some boards. Not boards or cpus, but smds and tht.

Crystals, resistances, roms... that kind.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 27044 of 27504, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, an enhanced, fan-made port of Final Fight came out a few weeks ago and for the last couple of days I've been pondering a possible upgrade for the cheap Genesis/MegaDrive gamepad I use with my Amiga. I had bought it a while back to play those extremely rare games that utilize 2-button setups, but only 1 button worked, and Final Fight Enhanced requires a 2-button controller. After piecing together some info I had found on various forums and youtube, I figured I need a Genesis-Sega Master System adapter. I bought one and lo and behold - both buttons work now. The problem is, the d-pad and the buttons have a really mushy feel to them. Playing feels kinda like diddling haribos 🤣 So today, I've taken it apart and tried to replace the rubber domes with spares that I have from a dead usb gamepad, but there isn't much improvement. Oh well, maybe I can track down a better Genesis pad. Or rewire some other pad. Time will tell.

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 27045 of 27504, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2024-03-18, 12:55:
Show full quote

If anyone from the UK remembers Tiny Computers, I just uploaded a system restore CD and floppy disc I found in my attic recently. Not even sure why I had them, but we did have a Tiny PC we bought new from one of their retail outlets in 1997, so it would have been to do with that despite being from 18 months later.

Tiny_logo.gif

a note of gratitude! whenever this is done it helps others in a practical way and also is an act of preservation

Does the CD contain the Tiny Computers logo for the system information?
I have one but the CD is a standard Windows 98 SE CD, same goes for the floppy. But I remember the system dialogue window did have a Tiny logo on it when we got it in the 90s.

Reply 27046 of 27504, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-18, 13:47:
Done that and it took some time. Now to know what I have I just open my file and check. Saves a lot of time. […]
Show full quote

Done that and it took some time. Now to know what I have I just open my file and check.
Saves a lot of time.

Can we see the list? 😀

Anyway, there are just the latest things I need to repair some boards. Not boards or cpus, but smds and tht.

Same as you, I want to save time.

My list is also full of components (crystals, resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes, sockets and connectors, various ICs, etc.) and many notes to make things easier. That's the part I have the most trouble keeping track of. I took a tiny snippet of mine, seen below. I've got a way to go yet, I just got it started.

I have far more components for repairing old (and modern) boards than I do actual hardware. 😜

I also build retro homebrew computers like the Z80-MBC2 and PicoMite VGA, and use them for other electronic projects, so my component "collection" has grown significantly over the past few years.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    Filename
    parts.jpg
    File size
    76.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 27047 of 27504, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StriderTR wrote on 2024-03-18, 17:38:
Same as you, I want to save time. […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-18, 13:47:
Done that and it took some time. Now to know what I have I just open my file and check. Saves a lot of time. […]
Show full quote

Saves a lot of time.

Can we see the list? 😀

Same as you, I want to save time.

My list is also full of components (crystals, resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes, sockets and connectors, various ICs, etc.) and many notes to make things easier. That's the part I have the most trouble keeping track of. I took a tiny snippet of mine, seen below. I've got a way to go yet, I just got it started.

I have far more components for repairing old (and modern) boards than I do actual hardware. 😜

I also build retro homebrew computers like the Z80-MBC2 and PicoMite VGA, and use them for other electronic projects, so my component "collection" has grown significantly over the past few years.

Same here. Not as nice though, just a TXT file.
Keeping track is difficult, as soon as one is used you should go and modify. Now, in my notes, I add what I used to avoid issues.

I'm also keeping track of all the BIOS chips that were used to build a database to purchase at a later time.

I'm about to buy two sample books of "res" and "caps", might make it a little easier.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 27048 of 27504, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fighting with a Dell 2407WFP mobo + PSU. I get ticking noises as if there was a short... yet a multimeter test of anything I can think of revealed no shorts.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27050 of 27504, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2024-03-18, 18:42:

I know that model. The caps are likely dried out and non functional

I replaced nearly all of them. The only ones I didn't touch are the small ones near the RGB output, a green 1uF 100v (C622 on the PSU), and 220uF 35v near the DC barrel jack. I did replace the big 450v cap already with one from a broken Samsung TV. (150uF instead of 120uF, does that slight bump in capacitance matter somehow?)
The ticking comes from the transformer closest to the output caps (as I see 2 transformers - one in the AC side marked 1J.20285.001, the other that's ticking is 1J.20289.001).

Reply 27051 of 27504, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-03-18, 15:41:
Show full quote

Tiny_logo.gif

I have one but the CD is a standard Windows 98 SE CD, same goes for the floppy. But I remember the system dialogue window did have a Tiny logo on it when we got it in the 90s.

I don't see anything like that. I've had a scan through the Ghost image that's in the ISO and there's no OEMLOGO.BMP or OEMINFO.INI in there, and there's no mention of 'Tiny' in a quick scan of system.dat either. There are links to the Tiny BBS on the desktop and in Hyper Terminal though. Not sure if the boot screen is customised. I think to be completely sure you'd need to restore it onto a system and see what's what.

I might have a go at that with 86Box actually.

Reply 27052 of 27504, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-17, 21:34:

I have repasted several laptops. The thermal paste in these can degrade significantly with age. It might be as simple as that to fix.

I don't think it's the thermal paste. The heatsink is really getting that hot. Strangely, the temperature doesn't increase much under load (if anything, it actually decreases slightly), so it's probably not handling idle power reductions properly. I did see that CPU clock scaling is not working, even though the processor properties in Device Manager show that the amdk7.sys driver is loaded. I even tried installing the PowerNow! driver from HP, and it didn't change anything. I can still change the multiplier and voltage manually.

Anyway, since I'm apparently taking time off the week after Spring Break, I wanted to start up a computer that works. My allergies had other ideas (and this house is really dirty), and I'm coming to the sad realization that every hard drive is full unless it's ridiculously oversized (and even the 4TB in my main computer has less than 100GB free). I guess I'm doing a lot of cleaning.

Reply 27053 of 27504, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-03-18, 19:46:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-03-18, 15:41:

I don't see anything like that. I've had a scan through the Ghost image that's in the ISO and there's no OEMLOGO.BMP or OEMINFO.INI in there, and there's no mention of 'Tiny' in a quick scan of system.dat either. There are links to the Tiny BBS on the desktop and in Hyper Terminal though. Not sure if the boot screen is customised. I think to be completely sure you'd need to restore it onto a system and see what's what.

I might have a go at that with 86Box actually.

Can confirm, no customisations of any interest. Various bits of software pre-installed though and some links on the desktop.

Attachments

Reply 27054 of 27504, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I took a nice family photo of my keyboards. All of which actually have a computer available for native use barring the Model F.

IMG_3154vogns.jpg
Filename
IMG_3154vogns.jpg
File size
442.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I wish I had a reason to use my IIGS keyboard more, but it's like the Apple Monitor II that I have; Useful for special occasions.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 27055 of 27504, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2024-03-18, 20:49:

Today I took a nice family photo of my keyboards. All of which actually have a computer available for native use barring the Model F.

I wish I had a reason to use my IIGS keyboard more, but it's like the Apple Monitor II that I have; Useful for special occasions.

Great set! I still STILL need to build one of those SUN-USB adapters for my 5c. Would make a great keyboard for my gaming machine.

Reply 27056 of 27504, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced the ugly HSF on my ASUS N6600 AGP. The fan isn't original to it, being sourced from a inno3D 7300GT PCI-E. Also repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut while at it - nice paste for a lot of stuff, nicer than MX6.

Attachments

Reply 27057 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed Windows 3.11 on a Pentium 4. Even got Civilization II going with full audio (sound effects and CD).

Since I'm planning on at least 5 different Windows versions on this system, I suppose installing Civ 2 on each one would be fitting. 😁

Windows 3_11 Startup.jpg
Filename
Windows 3_11 Startup.jpg
File size
356.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Civ 2 Win_311.jpg
Filename
Civ 2 Win_311.jpg
File size
612.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27058 of 27504, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Sony 2X USB floppy for $8+$8 shipping, so $16 total.

I highly doubt the "Brand New" claim, but it physically looks good. Now I just hope it works. If so, good deal I think.

I don't think the seller knows much about it based on the listing. 😜

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Sony2x.jpg
    Filename
    Sony2x.jpg
    File size
    117.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 27059 of 27504, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-18, 23:56:
Installed Windows 3.11 on a Pentium 4. Even got Civilization II going with full audio (sound effects and CD). […]
Show full quote

Installed Windows 3.11 on a Pentium 4. Even got Civilization II going with full audio (sound effects and CD).

Since I'm planning on at least 5 different Windows versions on this system, I suppose installing Civ 2 on each one would be fitting. 😁

Windows 3_11 Startup.jpg

Civ 2 Win_311.jpg

I agree! CIV2 is a GREAT game! Need to find a way to buy it again (or find the CD-ROM "somewhere" in storage) 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀