VOGONS

Reply 720 of 27502, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaWing wrote:

I don't think anyones posted a score in the 99 thread for the Real3d starfighter card yet.
How compatible is that card for gaming anyway? Noone ever talks about it.

Info here: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel/Real3D

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 721 of 27502, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still waiting on the motherboard but got my p60 in the mail today. Pins are bent of course but none are to bad. A80501-60 sx835 ha, looks like it has the FDIV bug according to CPU-world 😊 EDIT: oops kinda sick today and just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 722 of 27502, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:

I don't think anyones posted a score in the 99 thread for the Real3d starfighter card yet.
How compatible is that card for gaming anyway? Noone ever talks about it.

Info here: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel/Real3D

And http://www.vintage3d.org/i740.php
Intel 740 is not *that* obscure, it's just the Real3D Starfighter PCI cards which are rare.

Reply 723 of 27502, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a PCI i740.
I've not used an I740 which from what I remember usually has little to no memory on most of the AGP variants, and that one is PCI would be great to see benchmarks on it.

Reply 724 of 27502, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaWing wrote:

Its a PCI i740.
I've not used an I740 which from what I remember usually has little to no memory on most of the AGP variants, and that one is PCI would be great to see benchmarks on it.

I'd be happy to benchmark this card. I have two of the 24MB PCI variants - one of them has been updated to the latest 0147 video BIOS as well. I also have two 16MB PCI cards, a 4+4MB AGP card, and a few other Real3D variants - can't remember off the top of my head. Let me know what tests you want me to run, and I can open a new thread for it (let me know where this should go).

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 725 of 27502, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am waiting for the Magnavox I bought to arrive. And on Monday I will spend the morning / day testing / cleaning and listing vintage equipment for the reseller I visited last month. That should be fun. I am being compensated in kind (retro hardware) so I will have to see what I would like to bring home).

Reply 727 of 27502, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trying to get this Abit board to work. Those three bulging caps were in slightly worse condition than I could've guessed from the ebay pics:

qmBej2U.jpg
vhKcquN.jpg

I got it to power up after replacing those! Now just scrolling through the BIOS settings... WOW. It has like twice as many settings as a "normal" full-option BIOS, like in the P3B for example. You can even, uh, overclock the keyboard controller from 4 to 18 MHz! No idea why but it's awesome to have. Each setting has a detailed description too, unlike in any other BIOS I've seen so far.

That said though, I can't get it to work reliably. It crashes like half the time during boot-up, but then works okay if it eventually does. Except the ISA slot doesn't seem to work at all, it hangs immediately when running SETUPSA with a YMF719 card inserted.

Reply 729 of 27502, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Are those caps alongside the same series? Maybe should assume they've drifted off spec enough to need replacement as well.

All caps in line are 1500µF/6.3V Jackcon, but the popped three were frm a different series (slightly taller, less ESR I presume?) Yeah, it's probably a good idea to replace all of them 😀

Reply 730 of 27502, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Been trying to get this Abit board to work. Those three bulging caps were in slightly worse condition than I could've guessed from the ebay pics

C'mon dude, I'm trying to eat my breakfast over here!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 732 of 27502, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dang. Totally forgot to use the NSFBreakfast tag.

different series

Hm. Different is different. Other than /all/ old caps are suspect, I can't say there's reason to point at those alongside then.

Did you scrub the heck out of the board already? Just to be sure you don't have tin whiskers or other debris causing slight contact.

Reply 733 of 27502, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaWing wrote:

3dmark99 is fine, just post all the details like in this thread.
3dmark99 MegaThread

Cool - Can do! Stay tuned....

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 734 of 27502, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
Dang. Totally forgot to use the NSFBreakfast tag. […]
Show full quote

Dang. Totally forgot to use the NSFBreakfast tag.

different series

Hm. Different is different. Other than /all/ old caps are suspect, I can't say there's reason to point at those alongside then.

Did you scrub the heck out of the board already? Just to be sure you don't have tin whiskers or other debris causing slight contact.

I'll replace all the caps anyway before I intend to put it to use. Might as well go all-polymer while I'm at it! I don't mind dropping some extra $ on this board, seeing all the cool features it has to offer.

Haven't cleaned it yet, but that's a good idea. Must say it looks very clean though, and I don't believe tin whiskers are a common problem with pre-RoHS boards?

Reply 735 of 27502, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The NOS 360 Space Orb I bought recently showed up the other day, so I jammed it into the serial port on my Win98 PIII machine and gave it a shot. It’s an intriguing device – nice to hold, seemingly well built, and comes with a good software package. The 2 included demos were Descent 2 and Duke 3D, both of which I tried, and I was surprised to find that it actually worked. At first I sucked, but after 5 minutes practice I sucked a lot less and I suspect that it wouldn’t take too long to get used to. All the free flowing movement made me feel a tad woozy unfortunately – particularly in Descent – so I shut it down before long, but I liked it enough to try again. Maybe it’s just a case of getting my sea legs.

Not my pic:

1280px-Spaceorb360-3.JPG

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 736 of 27502, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update on the Abit board: I tried changing some more BIOS settings. At 66MHz, It boots most of the time and the ISA slot works, any faster and it starts behaving erratically. Seems like a capacitor problem to me!

Reply 737 of 27502, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
Been trying to get this Abit board to work. Those three bulging caps were in slightly worse condition than I could've guessed fr […]
Show full quote

Been trying to get this Abit board to work. Those three bulging caps were in slightly worse condition than I could've guessed from the ebay pics:

qmBej2U.jpg

I got it to power up after replacing those! Now just scrolling through the BIOS settings... WOW. It has like twice as many settings as a "normal" full-option BIOS, like in the P3B for example. You can even, uh, overclock the keyboard controller from 4 to 18 MHz! No idea why but it's awesome to have. Each setting has a detailed description too, unlike in any other BIOS I've seen so far.

That said though, I can't get it to work reliably. It crashes like half the time during boot-up, but then works okay if it eventually does. Except the ISA slot doesn't seem to work at all, it hangs immediately when running SETUPSA with a YMF719 card inserted.

I got a Geforce 8800GT in the mail today.
The images posted in the auction information pictured a card in mint condition, the card I got had bad caps 🙁
The card works, I did test it with both 3dmark03 and 3dmark06 with a fast CPU and it seems rock stable but with caps like these...

oMQZ7q.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 738 of 27502, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ouch Skyscraper, at least you know the card works so it is worth recapping! Are you going to run a pair of those in SLI by any chance? 😁

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 739 of 27502, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Ouch Skyscraper, at least you know the card works so it is worth recapping! Are you going to run a pair of those in SLI by any chance? 😁

Well perhaps not in a system I will use, probably only for benching so I do not really know if I will bother to recap it.
For use other than benching I prefer the 8800 GTS 512, I do not really like crippled GPUs 😉

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.