VOGONS

Reply 1400 of 27591, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What better day than Canada Day to stay home and do some Laserdisc vs DVD comparisons? 😁

When DVD was first introduced quite a few Laserdisc fanboys claimed that the LD format produced a nicer, more film-like picture. I can now say without a doubt that's an absolute lie. 😀

I compared five movies on LD and DVD - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Jurassic Park, Fantasia, Toy Story, and Dazed & Confused. I also played the Blu-Ray editions of Jurassic Park and Toy Story. I played roughly 15 minutes of video from each disc, on two different setups:

Setup 1:
Display: Samsung 64" F8500 1080p plasma
A/V Receiver: Marantz SR5008
LD player: Panasonic LX-900, connected to A/V Receiver via composite video and optical digital audio. 1080p output to TV via HDMI.
DVD player: HTPC, playing DVDs ripped to 480p H.264 (~3.0Mb/s) and retaining the original AC3 or DTS stream. Using MPC-HC with LAV for video decoding and audio bitstreaming, and madVR as the output video renderer.
BD player: HTPC, playing BDs ripped to MKV format and retaining the original AVC/VC-1 video stream and TrueHD/DTS-MA audio stream. Using MPC-HC with LAV for video decoding and audio bitstreaming, and madVR as the output video renderer.

Setup 2:
Display: Panasonic Tau CT-34WX50 34" CRT
Audio: Kenwood UD-952 component system
LD Player: Panasonic LX-900, connected to television's S-Video input. Connected to Kenwood amplifier via stereo RCA outputs.
DVD player: Yamaha DVD-S2300MK2, outputting 480p via component video connection and stereo analog audio.

On setup 1, the difference between Laserdisc and DVD was huge. Laserdisc video was quite soft in focus, and there was some video noise. The animated film Toy Story was easily the best looking LD. The DVD rips played back from the HTPC simply looked worlds better than any of the laserdiscs. The picture was much sharper and exhibited no video noise. Color saturation was also much better - Toy Story looked ready to pop out of the screen! The large display did reveal some of the original MPEG-2 compression artifacts, although the deblocking filter I used during H.264 conversion masked some of the artifacts. MPEG-2 blockiness was absent from the laserdiscs, but I found the video noise on the LDs to be more distracting than the very minor MPEG-2 artifacts. The video noise was especially noticeable on the Fantasia LD.

The DVD rips outperformed the Laserdiscs in the audio department as well. Now, this was mostly because I didn't have an AC-3 demodulator for the LD player, so I had to listen to the stereo PCM tracks via the player's optical output. All of the LDs I tested had Dolby Surround encoded stereo tracks, so I used Dolby Pro Logic IIx on the receiver to open up the sound stage a little. Still, the 5.1 AC3 and DTS tracks on the DVD rips were simply more fun to listen to. The surround channels in particular were more convincing.

Not that Laserdisc audio is bad. Far from it! The Dolby Surround encoded PCM audio on the Jurrasic Park and Toy Story LDs were quite engaging, and worked well with DPLIIx upmixing. Even the best Hi-Fi VHS tapes weren't this good! Despite the absence of an LFE channel, the T-Rex stomps in Jurassic Park were able to give the subwoofer a pretty decent workout, as was the rocket scene in Toy Story. However, the Dolby Digital and DTS-MA tracks on the DVD and BD rips were even better, with each T-Rex stomp just shaking the room. The rocket scene in Toy Story was also far more of a blast on the DVD and BD formats, with plenty of sofa-shakeage and chest slam.

----

Laserdisc fared better on Setup 2. The CRT display did a much better job of displaying the interlaced, analog video of LD. Video noise wasn't as apparent (though Fantasia still had quite a bit), and it all looked so much sharper on Setup 2. LD video color saturation was also much better on the second setup. Although the difference between LD and DVD was nowhere near as dramatic on setup 2, DVD video still won, easily. On setup 2, I played the DVDs directly through my Yamaha DVD player. The 480p component feed just looked gorgeous on the CRT. The Toy Story DVD was startlingly good--in fact it looked nearly HD with insane amounts of color "pop." None of the laserdiscs could match this level of image quality.

The difference between LD and DVD audio was also much less apparent on the second setup's 2-channel audio system. The biggest difference was in volume. The LDs were a little louder than the DVDs. However once the two formats were volume matched, they were similar in terms of audio quality. Once you take away the big subwoofer and surround channels, DVD and LD is fairly evenly matched. LD may even have a slight advantage here, as its stereo audio is uncompressed PCM, vs DVD's downmixed, lossy Dolby Digital.

Bottom line, DVD easily outperformed laserdisc, and the newer your playback equipment, the more Laserdisc, well, sucks. Yes, this was all rather pointless, but man did I have fun re-watching my favourite scenes from some of my favourite movies on different formats. 😊

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1401 of 27591, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my 386DX25 on line and chatted on an irc channel over at irc.slashnet.org using mIRC in wfw 3.11.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-10-04, 04:34. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1402 of 27591, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the cards I want into my socket 7 - rendition verite, gus classic, awe32. Only dos at the moment, none of the sound card software. Random lockups. Need to decide whether to add some kind of Windows and a Nic.

Reply 1403 of 27591, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Converted an crappy cased SC-55 into an SC-55ST 🤣

SPLffsTm.jpg UxV06cxm.jpg yqrDB39m.jpg

Also some genius engineer has modded the back RCA connectors into an banana jack connector and ripped the cable connecting the front MIDI IN to the board. The buttons are in a horrible shape and barely work (few of them), and the case was broken and has some stupid shit stuck onto it. So I removed the front panel completely.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1404 of 27591, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added NTSC support to a PAL-only Philips 17PT136B/00, a pretty nice Italian-made 17" RGB SCART enabled set. It already had the bi-standard TDA8361 chroma IC so it was a matter of adding the missing tint control & 3.58MHz crystal, the quick 'n dirty way:
img_20150702_193909214.jpg?w=800

Here's a blurry cell phone picture of this beauty in action:
img_20150623_232121557_hdr.jpg?w=800

I'm from the land of NTSC so Euro sets with RGB connectors are rare, exotic treasures. 😀

I've noticed that even though pretty much every European TV set made in the last ~25 years displays 60Hz video correctly (although sometimes the OSD gets cut off by the borders) only the higher end sets can decode NTSC color. How did you import gamers deal with this back in the day? Just get the RGB cables? Mod the systems to output PAL60? Add NTSC to the set like I did? Buy a better TV? 😜

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1405 of 27591, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

How did you import gamers deal with this back in the day? Just get the RGB cables?

That was the common solution 😀

I had an Philips Amiga monitor. It was great as you could adjust geometry as every game had a slightly different image position.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1406 of 27591, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally broke out the NOS Intel SE440BX-2 mobo that I'd bought last year. This was going to be the basis of my main DOS/Win98SE rig until I recently picked up a Socket A board with ISA. While I wait for my Athlon XP 2400+ to arrive, I figured that I would put together this original contender.

Slot 1 P3-1000 Coppermine
256MB (2x128MB) PC100 SDRAM
GeForce 4 Ti4600 (45.23)
Aureal Vortex 2 AU8830 (finally replaced my AU8830a2)
160GB WD Caviar SE (137GB usable)

I will add an AWE64 Gold and a GUS Ace once I finish testing Windows games. I also have a Powerleap PL-iP3/T on the way that I'm planning to test with a Tualatin Celeron 1300MHz. If the Tualeron is too noisy and not much of an upgrade, I'll stick with this nice Coppermine with the stock Intel fan.

P1110559.jpg

Reply 1407 of 27591, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Removed the ST-251 from my recently-acquired WYSE 286 to see if I could remedy some stiction. Doubtful there's much I can do though, at least with my limited experience with MFM hard drives.

Reply 1408 of 27591, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

I finally broke out the NOS Intel SE440BX-2 mobo that I'd bought last year. This was going to be the basis of my main DOS/Win98SE rig until I recently picked up a Socket A board with ISA. While I wait for my Athlon XP 2400+ to arrive, I figured that I would put together this original contender.

That's a very nice setup!

Got to get myself one of these Intel boards one day.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1409 of 27591, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

That's a very nice setup!

Got to get myself one of these Intel boards one day.

Thanks! I'm going to call this my "No problems" build. In many ways, it is the manifestation of all of the learning I gained from Vogons. The most stable components and drivers. No janky VIA chipset, 3DNow!, or SB Live! drivers to be found. (I owned an FIC VA-503+ with a K6-2 350 back in the day as my main computer, so I have a right to complain.) This is not the fastest P3 around, but everything just works in this setup. At 1600x1200, I can still pull ~210 FPS playing Quake 2 and ~50 FPS playing Unreal, so that will do just fine.

Reply 1410 of 27591, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Radeon HD 4670 and GeForce 9800GT at a garage sale today for $15. Not exactly retro or special/rare hardware, but it's always nice to have overpowered spares.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1411 of 27591, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

How did you import gamers deal with this back in the day?

I have since the Ps1 day's used this type of connector....

RCA-to-Scart-Adapter-Connect-your-PS2-Wii-Xbox-PlayStation-Gamecube-Ninte-0.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1412 of 27591, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today even browsing VOGONS is a retro activity as Im trying out a 10 year old DELL ultra light notebook with a Pentium-M CPU. Its perhaps not old enough to be retro but it sure was slow enough before I freed it from its malware shackles. Now browsing works perfectly and Youtube 480P runs fine. The only thing thats a bit annoying is the 1024x768 12" screen as the Internet isnt really low res friendly any more.

Yesterday I benched the Asus P4C800 Deluxe system with a P4 EE Gallatin 3.4@4Ghz. Im surprised it overclocked to 4GHz as I used an air cooler and the ambient temperature was almost 30C. I will post some results later.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1413 of 27591, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Today even browsing VOGONS is a retro activity as Im trying out a 10 year old DELL ultra light notebook with a Pentium-M CPU. Its perhaps not old enough to be retro but it sure was slow enough before I freed it from its malware shackles. Now browsing works perfectly and Youtube 480P runs fine. The only thing thats a bit annoying is the 1024x768 12" screen as the Internet isnt really low res friendly any more.

Yesterday I benched the Asus P4C800 Deluxe system with a P4 EE Gallatin 3.4@4Ghz. Im surprised it overclocked to 4GHz as I used an air cooler and the ambient temperature was almost 30C. I will post some results later.

I wish I could still use my Dell Latitude D266XT like I used to be able to... Youtube is such a mess on it not even 240 works, I tried using things like youtube downloader to render the video directly but that only goes so far.

Damn I hate how the internet develops sometimes..

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1414 of 27591, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know what really grinds my gears? Its those Socket-478 CPUs that always get stuck to the heat sink and threrefore gets pulled from the socket with the cooler when you try to remove it. Then you have to try tro pry the CPU loose without bending any pins. Its perhaps not a big issue if you change CPU once a year but if you test alot of CPUs in alot of motherboards and it happens every time it gets pretty annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q685Ko2DHDs

stuck.jpg

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-07-05, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 1415 of 27591, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made this post using my P200mmx Linux box and used it to download a file, irc client that runs in MS Windows 3.x Standard Mode, to to put on a 720k floppy disk, remember those?, so I could SneakerNet it to my 286. Fired up the 286. loaded the nic packet driver and winpkt. then fired up Win 3.1. Ran Trumpet Winsock.then installed the irc client. After setting the irc client up, called WSIRC for those interested, chatted on #vc. FWIW mICR couldn't cut it in Standard Mode.

IMAG0200.JPG
Filename
IMAG0200.JPG
File size
528.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1416 of 27591, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Its those Socket-478 CPUs that always get stuck to the heat sink and threrefore gets pulle […]
Show full quote

You know what really grinds my gears? Its those Socket-478 CPUs that always get stuck to the heat sink and threrefore gets pulled from the socket with the cooler when you try to remove it. Then you have to try tro pry the CPU loose without bending any pins. Its perhaps not a big issue if you change CPU once a year but if you test alot of CPUs in alot of motherboards and it happens every time it gets pretty annoying.

stuck.jpg

Oooh have you managed to ruin a 478 cpu by getting thermal paste all over the pins and trying to clean them off yet? Ruined a 2.8/512/533 chip that way, which was the better stepping of the two I had of course 😵

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1417 of 27591, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Oooh have you managed to ruin a 478 cpu by getting thermal paste all over the pins and trying to clean them off yet? Ruined a 2.8/512/533 chip that way, which was the better stepping of the two I had of course 😵

I have bent pins many times but always managed to straighten them out again 😀

The reason for CPUs getting stuck to the heatsink is my choice of cooling paste. Artic Silver Céramique acts like glue, not even heating up the CPU with Prime95 before removal helps 😜.

Reply 1418 of 27591, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lately i have done nothing on retro computers actually.. Also buying parts has been lowered.. Why? I have been very busy and busy in my head, and also i had previously days been on summer holiday.. (went away to france / germany) and i have enough to do enough things here (non-computer and computer related things) So i really lost track a bit..
Also i dont have enough space here anymore because of stacked old hardware.. But the first computer i will trying to work on would be my Nec V20 XT clone.

The hardest part would be find the right paint to do the bottom part without having to much difference between bottom and upper part. The place where the psu needs to be mounted has to be polished because there is some light rust / wear present.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2015-07-06, 20:41. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1419 of 27591, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I had to rearrange some of my vintage computers from a "scattered around in pieces because I've been working on them" state into a more-presentable "sitting neatly on assorted tables but still in pieces because I'm working on them" state. The building my apartment is in is for sale, and potential buyers are coming to look the place over this afternoon. Probably doesn't count, but I suppose physically moving half a dozen vintage computers is worth something. 🤣