VOGONS

Reply 1580 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's similar to mine, therefore I approve.

- I actually managed to lock myself out of my own website until recently.

For reference sake, http://mirror3dr.com/blog/ is the most complete sub-site there, or else try DNA from the main page. Will resume work on them soon.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1581 of 27549, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you need more line breaker gifs

abar17.gif
Filename
abar17.gif
File size
5.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
jan.gif
Filename
jan.gif
File size
4.39 KiB
Views
File license

and these guys:

constrct.gif
Filename
constrct.gif
File size
2.38 KiB
Views
File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1582 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My old site had those, along with a gray background. Sadly the machine which hosted it was legendarily unreliable and I have no backups left. I may have a screenie though, will post if I find it.

I remember when I was on AOL Hometown. My hatred of archive.org intensifies as they used to have my pages but appear to have removed them. Dickheads, I hate that site, it became useless long ago.

Reply 1583 of 27549, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh man. I'm downloading those links for future use!! ^^

And, it looks like i've got some catching up to do regarding your website HighTreason.. And I really like the layout too actually.

And i've got enough of text that I wish to put on mine concerning my bikes and computers.. 😳

And I hear you regarding losing old websites.. I've had about two or three in the past, of course they were crap but they were mine. Hosted on external sites (read Lycos Tripod later Multimania), that I found no longer had an account with anymore out of the blue and my website was gone.. 😠 I was young and naive and did not have backups.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1584 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My adventures with the Gigabyte BX2000+ continues.

The board is stable at 133 MHz FSB with 6x multiplier and the memory running at CL 2 2 2 with the old F3 BIOS. With the 7x multiplier the boards needs a newer BIOS and 3-3-3 memory timings to even pass the memory check at 133 MHz FSB. With the 10.5x multiplier the board wont even post at all with the FSB at 133 MHz when running my Tualatin PIII 1400-S.

There are some timing issues that wont let this board run high FSB and high multiplier at the same time, the board is allergic to good performance 😜. Im pretty sure its not an issue with caps as they are all Sanyo and Panasonic and look good. Running a Celeron 700(66)@1050(100) also works fine as does running a Celeron 1100(100), both with 2-2-2 timings and the old F3 BIOS.

Im running the Tualatin 1400-S @1050 right now but as this BIOS with Tualatin support wont let me run the memory at tighter timings than 2-3-3 the system is not that much faster than the Coppermine 1000(133). I cant seem to find my modded Celeron 1400 but with 2-3-3 memory timings Im not sure much would be gained anyhow.

I know Phil has one of these boards, perhaps there are others here aswell. What is your experiences?

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-07-26, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1586 of 27549, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought an i3-550 for $10 to rebuild a scrap mini ITX lga1156 system and threw a bid at a retro video card that I really dont need. Played with a dead Gigabyte Slot 1 motherboard and got it to post and enter the bios with a p2-350. Has the latest bios and used to run a p3-450 for awhile before it started this weird thing where it would just freeze and lock up in the bios.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1587 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did just spend 2 hours looking for my AOpen AX6BC motherboard because I hope to find my pin modded Celeron 1400 near it. The problem is that I have reorganized and cleaned up my apartment at least 3 times since I last used that board more than a year ago. I have a vague memory of seeing it as recently as a month ago the last time I did some reorganizing but now I cant seen to find it.

One issue is that I like to double stack motherboards in motherbord boxes, good for saving space, not good for finding boards. I do also tend to never store the boards in the correct boxes even when they do match up. When I move to a house from my apartment some time in the future I need to get all this mess sorted.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 1588 of 27549, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

I did just spend 2 hours looking for my AOpen AX6BC motherboard because I hope to find my pin modded Celeron 1400 near it. The problem is that I have reorganized and cleaned up my apartment at least 3 times since I last used that board more than a year ago. I have a vague memory of seeing it as recently as a month ago the last time I did some reorganizing but now I cant seen to find it.

One issue is that I like to double stack motherboards in motherbord boxes, good for saving space, not good for finding boards. I do also tend to never store the boards in the correct boxes even when they do match up. When I move to a house from my apartment some time in the future I need to get all this mess sorted.

Don't you just hate it when you know you have it somewhere near but can't find it? I have 99% of my stuff in a room that is 2.5x4 meters and still a lot of time things went missing.
Or how about the same screwdriver that just keeps running away from me 🤣

some things never change.....

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1589 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
Don't you just hate it when you know you have it somewhere near but can't find it? I have 99% of my stuff in a room that is 2.5x […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Don't you just hate it when you know you have it somewhere near but can't find it? I have 99% of my stuff in a room that is 2.5x4 meters and still a lot of time things went missing.
Or how about the same screwdriver that just keeps running away from me 🤣

some things never change.....

If I find the stuff Im looking for after searching for hours the wasting of time bothers me a little bit but when you search for hours and have to give up because you have looked everywhere it bothers me alot. I do not think I will see that board again until I find it by coincidence while looking for something else... I have even checked my big boxes with random motherboards in need of recapping.

Reply 1590 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The more stuff you have, the more important organisation becomes. I believe you have a lot more motherboards than I do, but this is how I store them:

a2Jrgu6l.jpg

I do the same, but using different boxes, for all my gear. As I work on so many projects for my YouTube, I need to be organised as searching totally kills the fun.

My setup is for quick location and retrieval. Not really for long-term storage, there might be better options. But it works well and I can put something together on my benches with minimal searching time.

Everything gets stripped after a project. RAM goes back in the RAM box, CPU goes back in the CPU box, little cables in the SATA, IDE or small parts box and so on.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1591 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, the amount of stuff I have is kind of hard to describe in words, looking for a special motherboard can be challanging 😁

Here are a few pictures showing some of it just to get an idea, this is just one bookshelf, one box with good motherboards and parts of one wardrobe, I have many warderobes, bookshelves, and big boxes with parts 😀

Organizingskills1.jpg

Organizingskills3.jpg

Organizingskills2.jpg

Organizingskills4.jpg

Reply 1592 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Flawless victory!

I found both my AOpen AX6BC Slot-1 board and my Celeron 1400... in total different places.

The AOpen board was strangly enough in the big box I keep my Slot-1 boards in... I was pretty sure I saw that board somewhere else while tidying up right before my parents came for a visit 2 weeks ago. From what I can remember I have not even opened that box after their visit so I diddnt check it until now... I must have moved the board to the correct box so I would find it more easily...

The Celeron 1400 was literally within an arm lenghts distance from where Im sitting typing this and it was the CPU I was really after to see how it performs in the Gigabyte BX2000+ board.

Now I just need to clean up the mess I have caused while looking for the board and CPU...

Reply 1594 of 27549, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nostagia time. Just played to the first save point in Final Fantasy VII on my original FIC VA-503+ and AMD K6-2 350.

Had a better supporting cast this time around, however: Voodoo 3 3500 and Aureal Vortex 2.

Back in the day, I finished this game with a Riva 128. I remember that Eidos had to issue a patch to get the game to work properly with a Riva. Now, it looks and plays beautifully right out of the box with a Voodoo 3. I have this game on Playstation as well, and it looks so much better in 640x480 progressive VGA.

Reply 1595 of 27549, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’m not a fan of modding the classics if it can be avoided, but the RF only output of my Atari 2600 was rendering it pretty much useless - life’s too short for RF.

So I put my morals aside and bought myself a composite mod kit from http://www.vintagegamingandmore.com/, and got soldering. Excellent instructions are available on the website, and the provided components were OK(ish), but it was still a reasonably challenging mod because of the compactness of the ‘Junior’ model. It was worth the effort though, I would say - the image quality is very good.

I can’t ever seem to take a decent photo of my CRT, but there are ‘before and after’ examples provided on the website which accurately show the sort of improvement you can expect. Something you can’t expect, of course, is that the 2600 will be anything other than a very crude piece of hardware. I’ve spent a lot of time recently on my C64 which made the limitations of the 2600 all the more pronounced. The sound capabilities in particular can be grating – it must have driven parents nuts back in the day.

It’s still a lot of fun to play though – Space Invaders, Pac Man, Adventure, etc still suck me in.

DSCN2371_zpsz4z5m0j7.jpg

DSCN2380_zpsfidhzq6z.jpg

DSCN2385_zpsi65dc27w.jpg

DSCN2388_zps7tphutwm.jpg

DSCN2391_zpsymak4tsx.jpg

DSCN2397_zpsz7ce6iim.jpg

DSCN2400_zpshqhxwin3.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1596 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer the IntelliVision as a system... But the Atari was where the games were at. Nice job.

Meanwhile I have reached a stage with my book where I'm less writing and more reading and correcting. I wrote it entirely on my Satellite Pro 410CDT in Microsoft Word 97, though I may move to Office XP,and the EliteBook to finalize it and fix the page size/layout.

bookprog.PNG
Filename
bookprog.PNG
File size
46.66 KiB
Views
File comment
Book word count in Office 97 on a 410CDT.
File license

It already weighs in around double the length of the old book making it the longest fictional text I have written (Only a script from 2005 and the old book come close) but I have technically written longer factual texts in the past. Currently it is on A4 size pages. My concern has always been that my writing sucks, because I lean more towards documentation and instruction than I do stories. It was also challenging because whilst I re-used some of my existing characters, I tried to write it from the perspective of the sister this time; the previous book and its abandoned sequel were written from the perspective of the brother.

When it is done, I may look into digitally publishing them, possibly for free due to reasons I would rather not discuss - that and I'm not a greedy sellout. I may share the first chapter if anyone wants a read... Though I warn you, most of the characters are a bit strange and have slightly warped morals and values. They're supposed to, they're not meant to be heroes or even the kind of people you'd necessarily want to know in real life, they're just supposed to be like people that could actually exist in real life; they all have their vices and negative aspects of their personality. They don't always do the right thing and may even know they're doing the wrong thing. They occasionally don't think before they act, leading them to say or do things that are somewhat irrational. I put a lot of effort into making them believable, even if the plot isn't.

Reply 1597 of 27549, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

*snip 2600 mod*

Nicely done, good job!

"Crude piece of hardware" is right... 128 Bytes (!) of RAM was miniscule even for the time it came out. I have trouble wrapping my head around how anything could run in that tiny amount of memory.

Reply 1598 of 27549, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished transferring my favorites MT-32 OST's along with some OPL3 recordings on cassette tape and give them a suitable visual for the plastic cases.

The result is a warmer sound and an easier listening, to give them a proper vintage touch.

The cassette deck used is a TEAC V-1010 (that I bought for 10 € two weeks ago) and tapes were all personal records from the early 90's (both from radio and cd) that was just collecting dust in a drawer for more than 15 years.

It was time consuming but also really fun. 😀

3c91c94e-2b0e-45a0-8964-6f4d1317b792.jpg

81528e95-54fc-49de-adca-a63878eba13d.jpg

Reply 1599 of 27549, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just copied the 1.5GB benchmark screenshots + some text files with FPS numbers my BX440 + Voodoo 3 CPU scaling project produced to an USB stick and Im now going to dismante the Gigabyte BX2000+ testbed.

The Gigabyte BX2000+ would not run 133 MHz FSB at multipliers greater than 6.5x with CL2 and not beyond 8x even with CL3, while not perfect I think i got enough data for some scaling graphs anyhow.
The slowst CPU I benched was a Klamath PII @133 MHz and the fastest the Tualatin Celeron 1400 running at 1568 MHz.

While trying to make sense of the results I think I will start tinkering with the K6-3+ as the whole point of this project was to get a referece to help me see where the K6-3+ fits in the pecking order.

I will start producing some graphs and stuff starting with GL-Quake but Im in no hurry.