VOGONS

Reply 2440 of 27436, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Played The Longest Journey on my Duron. Shoehorned in some AA through nVidia's options and I'm having a blast! Also installed RivaTuner to tweak some options (for stability - the SiS 730S chipset is a bit finicky with newer cards).

Nice! It's one of my favourite games of all time.

Just remembered that my first playthrough was on a K6-2 300. 64 MB, with a Voodoo 2, so it certainly is very much playable on a K6-2.

Second time was on a Duron with GF 2 MX with AA enabled. Looks much nicer.

Good to know the GOG version runs on an older OS. It's time for me to play it again, but I'm not sure if I want to play disc jockey with the original 4-CD release.

Reply 2441 of 27436, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished setting up the LAN gaming room completely yesterday! To be honest it was done a while ago but I had forgotten to set up IPX/SPX so I didn't take any pics until I finally did yesterday and got Heretic to LAN. 😁

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9k3ogn.jpg
This is an AMD Athlon X2 2.6ghz computer running Windows XP Pro and while it is on the LAN and is able to share files I doubt it will be used for multiplayer gaming since all the other computers are available. It was mainly put together as a 2000+ games computer so we could run things like Rome Total War and Sim City 4.

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9k3ogg.jpg
This is my new CD rack! Isn't it amazing?! I just found it at a thrift store a few days ago and it totally meets all my requirements, CD's are stored vertically and it's big enough to store my whole collection with some space left over!!

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9k3oga.jpg
Here it is in relation with the rest of the room...

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9k3og7.jpg
The main LAN computers, the two on the ends are Pentium III machines (the dell is 500mhz and the Gateway is 700) and the one in the middle is an AMD k6 3D Now super socket 7.

6_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9k3og0.jpg
The ss7 Compaq up close running a network game of Heretic. 😁 Tissue courtesy of my sister who helped me test the LAN yesterday, forgot to move that before snapping the pic. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2442 of 27436, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow that takes me back. Only DOS LAN games I played was at school. At home I did hook up two machines to verse each other, but as we lived remote I didn't have anyone to play with. And my brother wasn't interested at all 😵

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2443 of 27436, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

King_Corduroy: Nice setup you have managed to pull together.... Love it. 😜

For my part, I have forgotten to take pictures of the two machines I put together.
Shitty camera. Resulting in bad pictures. 🙁

The first one. The P166 with 64mb Ram, CL-5446-PCI, AWE64-Gold, Adaptech SCSI-Pci and some random IBM 9GB SCSI
Homemade ATX to AT PSU converter and an 300watt ATX Psu.
P166-Outside.jpg
P166-Inside.jpg

The 5x86-133, 8mb FPM, Number9-S3-Pci, AWE32-CT3900, DVD, Floppy and 3,something IDE HDD.
The case has a 3-digit LED, and is installed as "133" 😜
5x86-Outside.jpg
5x86-Inside.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2444 of 27436, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like how you've managed to tame all those cables. Not an easy task in the small cases.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 2445 of 27436, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always like to give an unknown case a total strip-down and wash up. This lot will be dry in a few minutes (34c outside) and then get it put together.
I'll be putting the AMD K7-600 on a GA-71XE mobo but can't decide whether to use the V2 in SLI or the Evilking V4.
20151214_122325_zpsm8cou2ru.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 2446 of 27436, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Splinter wrote:

I like how you've managed to tame all those cables. Not an easy task in the small cases.

Took me about 2 hour's each. Well.... Took one thing at a time, and managed cables, before mounting the next.
Before managing each type of cables, I would try out unmounted hardware in order to figure out how to proceed.
Not that hard, just build a computer over 3 to 4 hour's straight.

I finished each machine, by drinking a cup of coffee and smoking a cigaret outside in the freezing cold.
(do not smoke inside)

EDIT
Forgot a picture of the front panel on the 5x86... I think it is looking pretty cool.

WP_20151214_17_13_32_Pro.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2447 of 27436, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess who broke a K6-2's heatsink clip? Yup, me!!!!!!! Yay! ¬¬

Other than that... I'm quite impressed with Windows 2000 running on my Spitfire Duron 950. Youtube actually runs (Firefox 3.6 + Flash 9). Lots of frames dropped, but the video and audio remain in sync and, despite high CPU usage, this things is still quite responsive. I'm listening to a song in the background while browsing Vogons!!!! Gotta love Durons for what they were 😀

Reply 2448 of 27436, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Guess who broke a K6-2's heatsink clip? Yup, me!!!!!!! Yay! ¬¬

Other than that... I'm quite impressed with Windows 2000 running on my Spitfire Duron 950. Youtube actually runs (Firefox 3.6 + Flash 9). Lots of frames dropped, but the video and audio remain in sync and, despite high CPU usage, this things is still quite responsive. I'm listening to a song in the background while browsing Vogons!!!! Gotta love Durons for what they were 😀

I guess you are using a graphics card with decent video acceleration. I have an Athlon XP 2200+ that is barely able to render the sound.
I think your Duron is not doing much in this case

Reply 2449 of 27436, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its a GeForce4 Ti - I doubt it accelerates much, as it does not even decode DVDs like the GF4 MX cards. The video fluctates betweem 5FPS and 5 seconds per frame xD, but sound is perfect. And yeah, the CPU stays at 100%.
Btw, I'm pretty sure staying with Flash 9 restricts you to the FLV 240p version of the video, so that might help a little as well.

Reply 2450 of 27436, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work King_C! I have always thought that that Compaq looks like ... it's expecting 😁 those Altec Lansing speakers take me back, had them with our family's first Pentium, a Gateway 2k. Very smooth setup with all the CRTs too.

I've been trying to organise my computing area, but haven't had the time to quite cable everything up yet. Sadly don't have space for any CRTs at present. The plan is to sift through and sell a lot of parts, to reclaim some more space, then get some cabling done. Here's how the room looks for now:

2s7w7ro.jpg

And the shelves of (mostly) clones - the core of my PC collection. These are mostly dumpster/roadside finds, only exceptions are the two large desktops, and the Amstrad, which I bought for $1.

23hodok.jpg

Top shelf (from left): Amstrad PC4386SX atop a Netvista P3-933 // AOpen HX45 case (new), soon to house an AthlonMP system // 486DX2-66, likely to become a DX4-100
Lower shelf: Nimrod 486/33 (restoration in progress) // Pentium 233MMX (case houses ATX and AT boards) // (not sure of the black system contents - likely to replace it with an AMD AM2 GTX580 SLI system) // P3 Celeron 1.4GHz tower (need to recap the Powerleap adapter) // DX4-100, to be downgraded to 386SX-20, to match my first IBM-compatible system

Reply 2451 of 27436, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks and nice setup! I wish mine were a little better organized so that I could store more computers but alas the room is just so tiny! Tbh I too am thinking about ditching a few of mine so that I can continue to acquire new systems.

Reply 2452 of 27436, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Taking a break from fighting SS7 and enjoying the ease of setting up a Netburst machine. This little beauty here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813130519 paired with a 3.2ghz Northwood P4 and 2gb of DDR 333. Playing around with some different ideas for the gpu right now, maybe a pretty lil blue 128mb Geforce3 ti-500 will find a home in here.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2453 of 27436, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Taking a break from fighting SS7 and enjoying the ease of setting up a Netburst machine. This little beauty here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813130519 paired with a 3.2ghz Northwood P4 and 2gb of DDR 333. Playing around with some different ideas for the gpu right now, maybe a pretty lil blue 128mb Geforce3 ti-500 will find a home in here.

I'm pretty sure I plucked that same model mobo out of the trash recently. Haven't gotten around to playing around with it yet, but it seems like a decent P4 board.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 2454 of 27436, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best part is the AGP 8x slot and the SATA. Throw a Radeon HD4670, Geforce 7000, or any fast 8x agp card in it with a fast Prescott or Northwood and it just screams through anything ya want to throw at it. Heck there are even official Vista 32 and 64bit drivers for it on the MSI website, so you can install Vista or 7 even!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2456 of 27436, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Cool! I am visiting NL in two weeks and am going to organize a Red Alert LAN party with Pentium IIs / IIIs.

Where exactly is this LAN-party? *blush*

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2457 of 27436, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's when you skip school and slay your friends in a game of Doom till 1:00 AM where your parents probably worried shitless, but you keep on playing because there is nothing more fun than a LAN party. 😎

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2458 of 27436, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would love to play in LAN parties..

Problem is, these days I can no longer spend more than half an hour playing a multiplayer game. I seem get worse the longer I play, and then by the game's end I just think 'I'll just watch'. Not even rage quit, just silent realisation that I don't really like to play games for very long anymore 🤣 🤣

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 2459 of 27436, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blurredman wrote:

I would love to play in LAN parties..

Problem is, these days I can no longer spend more than half an hour playing a multiplayer game. I seem get worse the longer I play, and then by the game's end I just think 'I'll just watch'. Not even rage quit, just silent realisation that I don't really like to play games for very long anymore 🤣 🤣

Lol I'm suffering from the same thing, I can only play in short bursts. Very frustrating when I remember spending days playing game not all that long ago. 😒