VOGONS

Reply 2780 of 27430, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, I have software which uses this key combo. I'd remove the hotkey and I know how to do it on an older OS, but I have no idea how to operate Windows 7. People try to tell me and I end up breaking things when I try, so I'll probably just put up with it until I next see my friend. For now I'll just rely on the language toolbar.

I tried removing the layout once, but every time the system updates it comes back. In the meantime I assume there will be a lot of writing with spaces after quotes which are at symbols instead.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2781 of 27430, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just went to my new house to do some work. Upon opening the door there is a strong smell of gas despite the gas being off, looks like I'm going to be stuck waiting for the gas man all fucking day now.

Reply 2782 of 27430, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Over the last few weeks and months I've been particularly lucky with a string of events that have brought great vintage computing fortune!

Firstly, the Goodwill Computer Store in Houston, Texas moved 10 minutes from my house. A friend found a dustless, spotless, mint condition 286 clone and gave it to me. It even has a socketed Dallas 12887 RTC chip in it so no solderning was involved to restore it. I then went to the Goodwill myself and found the following over the last several weeks:

1) Gateway2000 Essential 500 - Pentium III 500Mhz
2) eMachine 333cs - Cyrix MII 333 (250Mhz)
3) DIGITAL Venturis 575 - Pentium 75
4) Packard Bell Legend 125 - 486SX-25 (upgraded with a Cyrix DX2-80 I recently bought)
5) 2 x IBM PS/2 8570-E61 Model 70 with XGA2 graphics, SCSI w/cache, a whopping 14MB of ram each, and one has a 387 math co-processor. They each have a 386DX-20.

These all cost $5 and work flawlessly so I've effectively won the vintage lottery! I'll be heading back there tomorrow for this week's haul.

Reply 2783 of 27430, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

I just went to my new house to do some work. Upon opening the door there is a strong smell of gas despite the gas being off, looks like I'm going to be stuck waiting for the gas man all fucking day now.

That really stinks! I've been following your chronicles of the move on your YT channel and on here. When you get past this hurdle in life, you'll have good times headed your way. This will turn out to be a blessing because you could have been inside lighting a cigarette when the gas started to leak so your luck is better than you may think.

Good luck!

-JohnnyNismo

Reply 2784 of 27430, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a ton of old AMD hardware at my school today. DDR S462 mobo, a Duron 1300 (considering doing the L1 bridge hack on if I can), Athlon XP 1800+ and XP 1900+ chips.

Also found a GeForce4Ti card, I think it was a 4600 or 4800(!) but alas, the fan had completely seized and melted to the rest of the cooler and the machine I tested it with wouldn't POST with the card in no matter what I did. So I popped off the cooler and pried off the chip, it came off pretty easily. I'm going to display the chip on my wall.

Edit: Just realized this would go better on the recent finds thread. Board's dead I think, won't POST with anything I have and I've been trying everything I know. Maybe it won't post with Morgans or Palominos? I might have to find an SDR S462 board? I can easily get ahold of one, I just grabbed the DDR one because it's... well, DDR. I figured it'd be faster and still work just fine. Board is a FIC AM37. Upon further inspection though it seems a cap is missing and there is some slight board damage, so it's probably that stopping it from working.

After some research on the board I've found that a lot of people had this board in an eMachines that died of PSU failure, tried to replace the PSU, and found the board dead as well. That also may be a big reason why this particular example doesn't work.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2786 of 27430, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For anybody wondering about the gas leak, I reported it and apparently the issue did not require that I be present at the house. Given my gas is off I can only assume that the leak is in their supply line and not past my meter, therefore the problem is an emergency as the gas leak cannot be shut of or isolated by me.

I went back today, still stinks like gas but apparently that's fine (Umm...?) and the front door frame fell out, dragging the already sagging porch roof about six inches closer to falling on my head as that and some PVC waste pipes are the only thing holding it up, problems I have told the council about since the start. The damp problem is also getting worse at an alarming rate and I discovered more holes into the wall cavity hidden behind paper and skirting boards. I also discovered the guttering is worse than first thought and the drain pipes actually aren't connected to the guttering, sitting several inches away so rain water just falls through the hole and onto the porous bricks. The council has now refused the repairs they said they would carry out, which is what they said in the first place but changed their mind; Apparently it's basically my fault the previous tenant appears to have a key. Eon (Energy company) now wants ~£150 out of me for gas and electricity I haven't used too and I discovered another patch of floor which is only held in place by the copper pipes for the radiators. I was also lied to about rent and it will cost almost £10 more a week than I agreed to (I cannot afford it).

I have decided that I am putting my foot down on this, I may as well be renting an allotment shed for £85 a week, the place is not livable. Unfortunately I am now constantly threatened with being thrown out of the old house as the houses surrounding me are demolished rapidly by a bunch of wankers. This whole plan undoubtedly dreamt up by some pompous southerner pieceashit who doesn't live in the real world and more than likely never set foot on the neighborhood, or even the city for that matter. All part of the grand scheme to prevent the common man living in a decent home and to needlessly inflate the rent.

To add insult to injury the handle broke off my hand drill, but only the bolt holding it on sheered off and it should be good to go again if I can find a bolt the same size. I knew that bolt was probably going to break eventually, I guess, given it never tightened up properly because of the thread being so worn out. Unfortunately, finding anything that isn't metric can be quite difficult now... Stupid, given nothing on this planet was ever made with metric measurements, at least in the UK.

More on topic... Err... Actually, I've been stuck there all day so I haven't done anything much. I did more testing of my benchmarking suite and will probably release it along with a YouTube video somewhere in the next 24 hours - I made a video out of the benchmarks Feipoa wanted me to run, especially given the interesting results displayed by Quake and PC Player. The Korg video will probably follow shortly afterwards, somewhere within the next week. Now though, I'm going to sleep.

Sorry about that, had to get it off my chest and there's nobody around to talk to about it, by all means ignore me.

Reply 2787 of 27430, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wow... 85 a week... I charge $1600 a month for a 3-bedroom. Also when I read you had a "damp problem" the little voice in my head said "He claims to live in the UK, shouldn't he be used to damp?" But seriously, there are laws here in the states that prevent most of the stuff you are going through. Best advice; DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, and get some sort of legal council.

But to be on topic, I finally got my RMA power supply from silverstone. Looks like they just replaced my unit so now the system I use to transfer files to floppies (and other mediums) is going to be back online.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2788 of 27430, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn HighTreason...sounds like you're atm living in a bad tv show.

Anyway, been spending over an hour to download well...basically all of it from the SIS driver download "area", but that website's at least as slow as the 6326 I tried out once 🤣! And one of the pages won't even let me download it's driver, isn't there some faster way? 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2789 of 27430, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed an S3 Virge DX to be able to capture/stream from my Win98 box (one of the few graphics cards I have that the DVI input on my Startech capture card will play nice with).

Reply 2790 of 27430, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Worked on my current Socket 7 project and got Windows 98se installed. Just need to track down some drivers and it will be ready for some games! There is something soothing about the sound of a Quantum Bigfoot chewing through data.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2792 of 27430, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, kinda did a few things. Listening to the Imperialism II OST and afterwards started looking for a map editor. But apparently map editing for Imperialism II can be done using a hex editor...kinda.

Should give that a try as soon as I have some more time, and time is something this game will take a lot off 🤣!

Also was clearing old junk from my spare bedroom and apparently have an old IBM! Hadn't opened it up yet as there were like CRT monitors and a couple chairs on top of it 🤣! It's probably not very very old though, I'd say P2/P3-ish perhaps. Still has a sound card, hoping for something nice 😁

Also (in same room) found an old MAC I'll open up to see if it has anything worth borrowing/cannibalizing, though I'm not gonna throw that one out anyway

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2793 of 27430, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

More floppy drive debugging.

Looks like a dual comparator has gone bad.

Awesome... 5.25's?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2794 of 27430, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I replaced a huge dinosaur can filter cap... with 3 little aluminiums! There was a really bad hum that had runaway volume increase as the valve was heating up. I had to switch it off sharply a couple of times as the speaker was gonna blow... but alas, she's now saved!

b553d7461883919.jpg 39206d461883970.jpg

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2795 of 27430, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried getting my Katmai rig to boot today so I could finally (I've been putting this off for months now) reinstall 98SE or ME on it (the install I had finally decided to fall down go boom and quit booting, not sure why). Now when I plug in the PSU to the wall the machine refuses to POST and ignores my holding of the power button. Gotta pull it apart here soon and figure out what's up.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2796 of 27430, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HighTreason610 - you need to GTFO of that country altogether. Get your butt over to North America (USA or Canada) and begin anew!

I can't believe you have to deal with the problems you're having and have no clear legal recourse.

Reply 2797 of 27430, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More Apple retro-ness....

I got a Power Mac G3 so I could get on the net and create my own disks for my growing collection of Appleware, specifically my Mac SE which when I was younger I spent a great deal using.

One thing that worried me when I got it was that the seller said it boots up with the chime, but it didn't at all. I spent about 4 hours today going over everything. Guess what, the damn stupid "Personality Card" wasn't seated right. That thing made the loudest "CANK" sound when I forced it down, i swear i cracked the slot...but nope. Now the G3 boots up. I upgraded it from 96mb to 512MB, and the 6GB IDE to a spare 30GB I had sitting unused. Loaded OS 9.2.2 on it, and its running nicely.

Now I just need to get it online...

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 2798 of 27430, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dogchainx wrote:

More Apple retro-ness....

I got a Power Mac G3 so I could get on the net and create my own disks for my growing collection of Appleware, specifically my Mac SE which when I was younger I spent a great deal using.

Nice. I assume that's one of the beige "Outrigger" PowerMacs?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2799 of 27430, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My actual retroactivity consists in hunting for rare/old dos/pre-XP games on auction sites.

7ohv1.jpg

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"