VOGONS

Reply 3540 of 27586, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Holy crap. And some people here have wives that limit them to 2 desktop computers!

My parents have informed me that should I unexpectedly expire, because of all the space I use up in the house they'll be repurposing this machine as my casket. 😵

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 3541 of 27586, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last night I resurrected two Everex 20MHz 386 1MB boards . Both had a tantalum capacitor explode when I hooked them up when I first got them, so replaced those last night and tested them out playing Kings Quest. Since they only have 1MB of RAM maxed out on board and no SIMM sockets, and the memory cards for these are rare and expensive, I'll probably just list them on eBay.

BTW, those tantalum explosions can range from little fizzle match sticks, to loud POPS and a little fireball flying through the air going right to your crotch! So beware!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 3542 of 27586, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's retro activity i can categorize more like non-pc related retro passivity coz we have some electricity issue around and 4 houses including mine was w/o electricity.
I found my old mp3 player that works on alkaline battery and listened it lying and watching at burning candles.

B64VIERl.jpg
Funny thing how almost all my stuff useless w/o electricity 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3543 of 27586, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Photos in the dark huh?

OK, so the shoe box and duct tape is just proof of concept and will be replaced. But I bashed this together and hooked my 808 to it where the patch of double-sided tape is...
vlcsnap_2016_04_28_01h11m54s967.jpg

Hmm...
vlcsnap_2016_04_28_01h11m43s866.jpg

Hmmmmmmm....
vlcsnap_2016_04_28_01h09m35s774.jpg

Had the little TV and batteries already, so the total cost of parts... Not even £30. Also, 🤣 at the shoe box, I can't even fit one of my shoes in that, so whoever it belonged to had small feet.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3544 of 27586, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was driving home from the shops and three towers were just sitting outside on the curb waiting to get rained on, so I took two of them (the third was totally stripped). I noticed they both had ATX motherboards with 1 ISA slot each so I was quite excited to see what they could be.

First was a Gigabyte Dual Socket 370 (Pentium 3 1Ghz) board:
mY6Lpdf.jpg

And the second is a PC Partner AMD Duron 700Mhz board:
VoZUrQv.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos - My phone is currently broken (it's been one month since Samsung said they would replace my Galaxy Note 4, when (if) they get 'new' stock in), so I'm currently using a Galaxy S4 with a somewhat finicky autofocus.

Edit: Sorry about the hugely oversized images - I thought they'd resize automatically, or at the very least I could resize it manually using BBCode [img] width and height values, but no dice 🙁 What am I doing wrong guys/gals?

Edit: Never mind, I found out I can edit the image in imgur. Hazzah for technology!

Reply 3545 of 27586, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dug out my old Days of Future Passed record and gave it a whirl. Man. Good, good stuff. 😲

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3547 of 27586, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only had about 30 minutes to game last night, not enough time to get into System Shock (which I'm very close to finishing), so I fired up Return to Castle Wolfenstein and cleared level 1. Hoping to have a couple of hours this weekend to finish up SS so I can move on to the next big adventure. I think I'm leaning toward UU1, but I might do Savage Empire first.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3548 of 27586, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Diving into PowerVR SGL programming documentation again trying to find some clues on how the card really worked X_X

I don't think the documentation is enough for that.

Reply 3549 of 27586, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished reassembling the two machines. Yes, it took all of yesterday to rewire it and attach the panels. I'm missing the front off one of the machines and both of the cool round palstic backs for the machines.

CGS_1284.jpg

Unfortunately we've lost two power supplies. One now drops out the moment the machine starts coming up, the other does nadda. Opened the power supply and found a transformer had gone into meltdown and the AC fuse was blown.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_1276.jpg

Reply 3550 of 27586, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice! i spent years working on as/400's or iseries or whatever its called now. spent time on rs/6000's and z900

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3551 of 27586, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:

Finished reassembling the two machines. Yes, it took all of yesterday to rewire it and attach the panels. I'm missing the front off one of the machines and both of the cool round palstic backs for the machines.

pics.jpg

Unfortunately we've lost two power supplies. One now drops out the moment the machine starts coming up, the other does nadda. Opened the power supply and found a transformer had gone into meltdown and the AC fuse was blown.

Anyway awesome gear you have there,one day i also make my very own kinda server room or i just gonna use my closet for it(jk) 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3552 of 27586, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is going to be tough. AS/400's are crazy business oriented. There's like, half a dozen games and possibly an Apache snap-in but that's it. The rest is TURBO boring business applications. This generation of machine also will not run something like Linux. OS/400 or bust. It's almost just good enough for looks alone because IBM really had a thing for making their machines look nice.

Reply 3555 of 27586, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Built a high-end Win98 machine. Should have a new thread just for it soon.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 3556 of 27586, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

Built a high-end Win98 machine. Should have a new thread just for it soon.

Nice, eager to read about that.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3557 of 27586, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent the last few hours turning this:

Adlib Clone.jpg
Filename
Adlib Clone.jpg
File size
236.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Into this:

20160429_195411-1600x1203.jpg
Filename
File size
396.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3558 of 27586, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
Spent the last few hours turning this: […]
Show full quote

Spent the last few hours turning this:

Adlib Clone.jpg

Into this:

Nice!

That turned out to be a decent deal! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3559 of 27586, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Nice!

That turned out to be a decent deal! 😀

And, best of all, it works. Just played Wolf 3D and I was 13 again. Glorious.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.