VOGONS

Reply 3920 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got to play a bunch of new games bought on GOG summer sale and test them for Phil's real DOS compatibility chart. Some highlights:
Fallout is the Windows, not DOS version. 🙁
Shadow Warrior and Blood come in mixed mode CD format, but you don't need the CD to play the game. In the case of Shadow Warrior, you get no music without the CD; with Blood, it comes with FM/MIDI support, so you can use those for music.
Betrayal at Krondor is the same: you need the CD if you choose CD music, but you can play without the CD with FM or MIDI music. Interestingly, this game is very speed sensitive. The game flatout froze on me during startup unless I was at slow-to-mid 486 or lower speeds. And even at 486-25 speeds, MIDI music would glitch. It only played normally at 486-16 or slower speeds.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3921 of 27550, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I made the CD for Blood, yes, it's for music only 😀

I got quite good at creating these discs 😀

I use an audio converter to conver MP3/OGG to WAV.

Then InfraRecorder to burn the mixed mode CD.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3922 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the Free Audio Converter does make it a quick job, though I don't like the pop-up ad when you close it. I seem to remember Malwarebytes Anti-Malware flagging it as "potentially unwanted" too. But after further scans it seems fine. And it's the quickest converter of the bunch too. 😀

Reply 3923 of 27550, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gave up on 7th Guest. The game does work, but it has 1 CD Audio track on disc 1 and disc 2. So you play the game from HDD but got to swap the CD before you go up the stairs.

Ended up buying 7th Guest and 11th hour on eBay 😀

Will enter them into the sheet, 7th Guest at least works, 11th hour has a Windows executable only and missing a SETUP program. Too hard 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3924 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This summer sale got me nearly every game on my wishlist. Pretty soon I'm going to need a bigger monitor just to display all the GOG titles. 🤣

gog.png
Filename
gog.png
File size
177.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3926 of 27550, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested around 40 DDR RAM sticks with memtest, and 15 or so of my ide and older SATA drives for errors. So far so good. But I have at least that many more to go!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 3927 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
petro89 wrote:

Tested around 40 DDR RAM sticks with memtest, and 15 or so of my ide and older SATA drives for errors. So far so good. But I have at least that many more to go!

Time-consuming and thankless work. Do you have more than one system to test them in at a time?

Reply 3929 of 27550, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was about to bust out the old Laserdisc player for retro movie night, but decided to do something completely different this time:
Pentium III powered High Definition Home Theater. I took my copy of Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-Ray, transcoded it to 720p with x264, copied it over to the PIII, turned on the popcorn machine and had a blast.

No shortcuts like accelerated video decoding were taken, either. That poor PIII was doing all of the 720p AVC decoding on its own, which is pretty impressive for a relatively low-clocked single core CPU without SSE2.

Hooked up to the big screen, with the X-Fi card bitstreaming DTS 5.1 to the AV receiver, that old computer was providing a home theater experience not too far behind the full 1080p/7.1 Blu-Ray!

Overclocking was a must. At stock 1.4GHz, the video would occasionally fall behind the audio track during some of the more complex scenes. However at 1575MHz playback was perfect. CPU usage was nearly maxed, but it didn't skip a beat. I believe the increased bus speed did the trick. SSE support is also a must. A 1.4GHz Athlon (without SSE) just lacks the horsepower to smoothly play 720p AVC.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3930 of 27550, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Derping around with future build,so far i have:

e8JCHJFl.jpg

550 mhz P3 Katmai with Thermaltake Golden Orb
Transcend TS-ABX
idk but i think 128 or 256 mb sdram
Xelo Riva TNT2 Pro 32mb
Diamond 3dfx VooDoo 2 8mb (dont have pair so far)
Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 CT4750
Tekram scsi card
and nic
thinking about one more sound card something like ymf-7xx based or Vortex2

something like 20gb ide hdd and 73gb scsi + win98 se

any suggests? 😜

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3932 of 27550, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
petro89 wrote:

Time-consuming and thankless work. Do you have more than one system to test them in at a time?

Of course, but then what would I use to play games while doing the tests?!?! 😊

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 3933 of 27550, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

This summer sale got me nearly every game on my wishlist. Pretty soon I'm going to need a bigger monitor just to display all the GOG titles. 🤣

gog.png

Now that is impressive 😳

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3935 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No offense taken. 😀 I'd like to think I might get around to playing all of them in my lifetime, otherwise they wouldn't have made it onto my wishlist to begin with. Is it really any different than buying hardware you may never use other than to test with once or twice? 😉

Reply 3936 of 27550, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing a couple of sound cards compatibility (YMF724, Vortex Aureal 2) under plain DOS with a variety of games. Details in YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down) and Aureal Vortex 2

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3937 of 27550, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played some Far Cry--got through the Research level and made it to the Tree House. Just saw my first few glimpses of Trigens. Oh, joy.

Reply 3939 of 27550, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing done for today, now getting ready to spend a few quality hours with Pirates! Gold. It's tougher than I remembered.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O