VOGONS

Reply 4360 of 27510, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a recap of my Asus socket 7 motherboard. A couple of caps were bulging, so I replaced them all. The board did not have any symptoms or anything like that, but it was only a matter of time. Still works after the recap, yay 😀

recap.jpg
Filename
recap.jpg
File size
192.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The tall ones in the pic are new (1000uF 16V).

Reply 4362 of 27510, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice pojo!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4363 of 27510, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
elianda wrote:

Last week was exhausting. This was our area as part of the 1600 m^2 Retrogaming Area at Gamescom 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rWy3PC7gs

Cool.... What was the age ratio?
Did people have more in dept questions geared towards the hardware and stuff, or were they only in for the games? Would have loved to see how all the guests reacted. I am also interrested in how young teenagers react when they try old pc's for the first time.

I think one third of the visitors were below 18 years. A few were also interested in the old machines, but most just wanted to play something. It didn't matter if it was old or new and the good thing in the retrogaming area was that you didn't had to wait in a queue.
Some old people recognized games like Commander Keen well, but also some younger played it very well.
There was one visitor that played through Sonic the Hegdehog (Mega Drive) and came the next day to play through Sonic 2...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4364 of 27510, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested out a bunch of games with my new Dreamblaster s1. Pretty impressed how good it sounds.

So far only some Dune 2 tracks sounded badly, but that is mt-32 territory...

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4366 of 27510, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

I think one third of the visitors were below 18 years. A few were also interested in the old machines, but most just wanted to play something. It didn't matter if it was old or new and the good thing in the retrogaming area was that you didn't had to wait in a queue.
Some old people recognized games like Commander Keen well, but also some younger played it very well.
There was one visitor that played through Sonic the Hegdehog (Mega Drive) and came the next day to play through Sonic 2...

Nice.
Just as I suspected it to be. It is a small hobby after all. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4367 of 27510, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:

Tested out a bunch of games with my new Dreamblaster s1. Pretty impressed how good it sounds.

I thought Dune 2 supported GM and sounded OK? Or am I thinking of something else...

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4369 of 27510, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

Can't go wrong for that price 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4370 of 27510, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Munx wrote:

Can't go wrong for that price 😀

I ordered mine 9 weeks ago, it doesn't look like it's coming any time soon unfortunately 🙁 At least I payed via paypal so likely will have to chase up a refund.
This has been happening a lot more of late, stuff not arriving. I'm not blaming sellers, but it's likely a combination of lost/stolen/not posted.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4371 of 27510, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got PO Box? Before I moved to a house, that was essential for me to get stuff reliably.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4372 of 27510, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

I ordered mine 9 weeks ago, it doesn't look like it's coming any time soon unfortunately 🙁 At least I payed via paypal so likely will have to chase up a refund.
This has been happening a lot more of late, stuff not arriving. I'm not blaming sellers, but it's likely a combination of lost/stolen/not posted.

I had mine after a few days, I doubt it's the sellers fault. Still sucks 😢

Belgium -> Australia is not the same as Belgium -> Germany, unfortunately...

Reply 4373 of 27510, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just received a dreamblaster S1 as well, same Belgium to Australia.

marked as posted on the 3rd of this month (super fast to send it, excellent work by serdaco) it arrived on the 22nd.

i opted the the shipping with the tracking and it still has not updated past "04/08/2016 01:33 Departure from office of exchange BEBRUA" despite being in my hands on the vic/nsw border for 2 days.

It really is amazingly small, its only just larger than a 20c coin

Reply 4374 of 27510, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played some Dune last night before going to sleep. I had played a lot of Dune II back in the day (and since) but somehow I had never played the original one. Wow, completely different game, and the music sounds so good on the MT32. Ended up not going to bed until 2AM because of it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4375 of 27510, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Munx wrote:

I thought Dune 2 supported GM and sounded OK? Or am I thinking of something else...

It seems to pick a lot of instruments badly. Combat4, which is one of my favorite tracks, is a good example.
Its kind of strange, since all other games I tested sound on point.

My builds!

Reply 4376 of 27510, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

It seems to pick a lot of instruments badly. Combat4, which is one of my favorite tracks, is a good example.

Do you send a special command to activate MT-32 emulation?

Because I've tested a few games, and all of them had off-key sounds in them, so much that I'd rather use OPL2.

Reply 4377 of 27510, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
Munx wrote:

Do you send a special command to activate MT-32 emulation?

Because I've tested a few games, and all of them had off-key sounds in them, so much that I'd rather use OPL2.

Nope, I haven't messed with it that far, just stock settings.

I mean, other games do sound 'different', but not 'wrong', unlike Dune 2.

My builds!

Reply 4379 of 27510, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had a bit of a plot-stopper scare with my playthrough of Lands of Lore CD. I got to level 3 of Cimmeria Castle where you have to defeat Scotia to win the game. Got to a puzzle room where you need to place certain items to cause a key to be revealed that allows you to continue the plot. One of the items was "medicine", which in the game equates to Ginseng or Aloe. I'd long ago dropped all my herbs to free up inventory slots, since my heal spell does better than the herbs, so I was missing a key ingredient to win the game. 🤦

(incidentally, my slots were *filled* with weird, useless items that I held onto in case they were needed later in the game. I never imagined I'd need to hold onto an herb...🤣)

I wasn't even sure I could backtrack far enough to get more (it seems we are "trapped" in the castle), so I decided to finish exploring level 3 and if I was in an unwinnable state, I'd at least play it out as far as I could before moving on. Near the end of my level 3 exploration, somehow, I came across a chest that had one aloe plant in it! Whew!

Great game, btw. Short enough (~20 hrs of gameplay) to be winnable in about a month, which is nice for those who don't have tons of free time to play.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks