VOGONS

Reply 4800 of 27602, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent nearly all day yesterday benchmarking my AMD Socket 754 SLI system with my new 6800 Ultra 512MB SLI pair. Only to determine later that it turns out the performance is pretty shitty and I ended up just sitting it aside to sell later and bought a AMD Socket AM2+ nvidia-590 SLI board instead. See "bought this retro hardware" thread for post about it.

Reply 4801 of 27602, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested out my newly acquired Gigabyte board today. Booted fine with the 200mmx and 128mb Dimm and a PCI 3D Blaster Banshee. Just need to get a PS/2 Mouse and AT keyboard adaptor.

Really looking forward to doing a build around this and using it primarily as a DOS machine , even have a nice AT mini tower case on the way.

I'm thinking Spec will be as follows.

Intel Pentium 200mmx
Gigabyte GA-586TX3 AT board
64mb SD Ram
Creative Labs PCI 3D Blaster Banshee
3D Sonata SR163 OPL3 & OPL4 Sound Card

On the sound front I have the above listed card along with a SB16 CT2230, ESS Card with ESS Wavetable and a Awe64 so may have a play around with the others also.

20161117_215239.jpg

Reply 4802 of 27602, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Started the project to rebuild battery packs for old laptops. Started with a battery for the Thinkpad 770Z. It was easy enough to open, now studying the internals. I think I will have to ditch the internal cells altogether; it has 3 groups of 3 cells, the cells in each group are in parallel and the 3 groups are in series. One group reads 0V so it's shorted, dead. One group reads 2.64V so it could be salvageable. One group reads 1.9V but it's the opposite polarity of what it should be (the + has become -), so it's probably more than dead. I've actually never heard of a Li-Ion battery to become reverse polarized, sounds dangerous.

I've mapped the connections. The problem is that the batteries are all welded directly to metal strips that run directly to the PCB; I don't see a way to remove them from the metal strips without damaging the strips, thus I won't be able to reuse the internal connections. I will have to desolder the PCB from the strips and build a pack from scratch with new batteries, new connector strips and them connect with wires to the PCB.

There are also 2 protection devices, a 10kohm thermistor and a Klixon 4MM80H1-13 thermal protection relay ( http://www.sselec.com/data/parts%20specs/Part … hemostats-2.pdf ). They appear to be good, and I'll probably be able to reuse them.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4803 of 27602, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played a ton of UT99 in WINE on my Cloudbook today. Troubleshot my lack of a decent framerate, it was my using D3D that did it -- switching to OGL made everything butter-smooth even at 1080p at the highest settings. On patch 436 (its my understanding that 451 is mostly for servers?) and with the bonus packs. Played online on a couple of servers, one for here, one for not.

Might qualify as retro, might not.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 4804 of 27602, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well today I decided to make one servicable Acorn RiscPC out of two flaky systems I have. Took a couple of hours and worked out real good. So now I have a servicable 710 ARM system with 4.39 ROMs. That makes No.5 of my collection.
I'm after a 2meg vram module for it and I'm done.

IMAG0293.JPG
Filename
IMAG0293.JPG
File size
775.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4805 of 27602, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apart for doing some more testing of PCI sound cards in DOS I installed a Creative Audigy 2 ZS in my server. I'm using the Audigy as a part of a virtual MIDI box on a Windows 7 VM running it in PCI passthrough mode.

directpath.png
Filename
directpath.png
File size
50.52 KiB
Views
File license

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4806 of 27602, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got detracked from my attic and played some internet games of HW2 (can still connect via IP, worked the first time and had a couple great games!). Currently working on getting the dreadnought buildable for both sides in MP.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Did some more sorting. And I'm contemplating to perhaps inventorise all my stashed motherboards today, since this will probably take many hours (will do some basic checking and perhaps some resorting while I'm at it) and I have spare time today.

This needs some photos 😀

I'm always eager to learn new organisation tips. It's funny, I'm terrible with names, but I do remember pretty much all the parts I have. I use plastic containers, smaller plastic boxes and various sandwich type bags to organise everything.

You're still welcome to come visit and browse around for yourself (that offer still stands), could make for an interesting vid or something 😀.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4808 of 27602, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I did recently to organize my stuff: in my retro room in the basement I built 3 stacks of 5 shelves each. I found some large plastic containers with snap-on lids, of which 3 fit perfectly on each shelf. The containers are large, probably around 10 gal each. I can fit a total of 45 of them on the new shelves. I lined with aluminum foil the ones in which I put ESD-sensitive parts. This, combined with the 2 bookcases that I already had in the place, was almost enough for everything. I did end up stuffing a few containers in the wife's closet next door. 😀

You can get a glimpse of the shelves and containers in this pic:

IMG_9184.jpg

The box in the bottom right corner, for instance, has about 10 motherboards in it.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-11-19, 01:58. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4809 of 27602, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Impressive collection, stamasd. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4810 of 27602, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks. To be honest it's not all computer stuff. Many boxes have electronic components, tools, FPGA stuff, Arduino and Raspberry Pi stuff, chemicals, 3D printing filament, etc. For instance the green-lidded ones at the left - one has seeds and gardening supplies, and another has brewing supplies (as in beer-making glassware, tools, malt etc). The USPS boxes in the middle are full of CPUs that I have yet to go through and categorize. 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4811 of 27602, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

The USPS boxes in the middle are full of CPUs that I have yet to go through and categorize. 😁

Drool...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4812 of 27602, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMAG0295.JPG
Filename
IMAG0295.JPG
File size
543.87 KiB
Views
File license
IMAG0297.JPG
Filename
IMAG0297.JPG
File size
618.58 KiB
Views
File license

Just moving stuff about in my room.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4813 of 27602, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've started documenting my rebuild of a laptop battery pack.

https://stamasd.wordpress.com/

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4814 of 27602, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Completed refurb of a PS/2 model 55SX with the Reply planar upgrade.

Now all that is left is to repackage the machine and ship it back to the customer.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 4818 of 27602, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Veeb0rg wrote:
Put the finishing touches on my build. http://i.imgur.com/cdOLyesl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Put the finishing touches on my build.
cdOLyesl.jpg

Nice speakers. Used to have the same ones but Creative Labs-branded.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4819 of 27602, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veeb0rg wrote:
Put the finishing touches on my build. http://i.imgur.com/cdOLyesl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Put the finishing touches on my build.
cdOLyesl.jpg

Saw your post on Reddit. Looks awesome and clean, nice job.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif