VOGONS

Reply 4822 of 27446, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started to assemble my 200mmx System today as my AT case arrived. Crikey is it flimsy as hell but its an AT case and i very rarely see them pop up for sale. Still need to acquire parts for it but its at a stage where it powers on and posts. I need to think about the PSU as it currently has a ATX power supply fitted but has the AT power button. Might purchase a ATX to AT converter to use the Button. I like the 'Clunk' sound it makes 🤣.

Need to pick up a Floppy Drive, Suitable CD-ROM drive and a hard disk.

The following parts are fitted so far,

Pentium 200mmx
Gigabyte GA-586TX3 Motherboard
128mb SD Ram
PCI Creative 3D Blaster Banshee
Sound Blaster 16 (CT2230)

Wiring is only temporary and will be tidied up when all parts are in.

20161123_214145.jpg
20161123_214207.jpg

Reply 4823 of 27446, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set up my newly acquired Asus Crosshair 590 SLI system from 2006. Flashed community modified bios and then got my 2010 AMD Athlon II x3 445 CPU running natively in it. Then set about installing XP-32 and then tuned and overclocked the CPU and ram and then set it up with my pair of 6800 Ultra PCI-Express 512MB cards and using XP-32 to try and chase down some world records on hwbot with it. I already got it up to 128,000 in aquamark3.. still trying more.

Current test setup:
r_DSC06970.jpg

And I had the processor up at 3885 Mhz for a while, but then I realized it was running the ram at just 680 Mhz. So then in order to get the ram up to ddr2-947 I had to switch to focusing on base clock instead and as a result of getting the base clock maxed out and thus ram at max speed.. I lost a little CPU speed, down to 3691 Mhz, oh well.

This is the chip with it:
Everest-Ultimate.png

I'm already just about to post and score a gold world record with 3dmark `99 max for these 6800 ultra's and then move on to other benchmarks and see where the results come in, see if it's worth posting up there or not yet.

I think I'm going to need a newer processor with a lot more cache to ever get a remote chance of striking close to the big world records by others.

Reply 4824 of 27446, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped my brother's Phenom ii gaming pc out of a craptastic 2002 era Raidmax case into a 2006 vintage Antec Sonata. Popped the 550watt Antec out of my primary pc for a checkup on the caps, everything looks great.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4825 of 27446, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've decided to do a fresh install on my Dimension 4100 yet again. This time I'm going back to 98 SE. ME serviced me surprisingly well actually, but I've replaced every card in the machine since then and I'm starting to run into obscure driver and stability issues just like every Win9x installation eventually does.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 4826 of 27446, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElementalChaos wrote:

Well, I've decided to do a fresh install on my Dimension 4100 yet again. This time I'm going back to 98 SE. ME serviced me surprisingly well actually, but I've replaced every card in the machine since then and I'm starting to run into obscure driver and stability issues just like every Win9x installation eventually does.

Actually it's just because you're changing stuff. If you don't change any of the hardware, win98se should be very stable for a long time. I have now going on 3 years with a win98se install on one of my machines and it worked 100% when I turned it on last month. Just started right up and loaded a game. Played for like 5 hours. No instability, no crashes, no drama.

Reply 4827 of 27446, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Selling off some surplus parts on ebay. First listing ended with the first hour!!! Why have I not done this sooner? Oh ya. . .laziness.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4828 of 27446, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

went through rounds and rounds of testing my old qemm97 cd.. in the end dumped it for jemm386/himemx which is better. qemm97 had some crashes and gave me lots of dpmi problems with old tasm dpmi16 hosts (tasmx/tlink/td/etc) and problems with 3com config complaining about old emm386 versions.. so many hours and many reboots switched to jemm386.

added some new diskmags to my collection.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4829 of 27446, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:

went through rounds and rounds of testing my old qemm97 cd.. in the end dumped it for jemm386/himemx which is better. qemm97 had some crashes and gave me lots of dpmi problems with old tasm dpmi16 hosts (tasmx/tlink/td/etc) and problems with 3com config complaining about old emm386 versions.. so many hours and many reboots switched to jemm386.

Why not use jemmex directly? Himemx/Jemm386 do work together, but they're actually available more for the cases where you want to use one without the other. Jemmex integrates the functions of both, and I think overall it gives you a smaller memory footprint.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4830 of 27446, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

Why not use jemmex directly? Himemx/Jemm386 do work together, but they're actually available more for the cases where you want to use one without the other. Jemmex integrates the functions of both, and I think overall it gives you a smaller memory footprint.

I thought himemx was a himem.sys replacement and jemm386 needed it? if it doesnt I'll try it without and see how it goes. Their homepage was down for me yesterday so I couldnt do much checking.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4831 of 27446, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:
stamasd wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

I thought himemx was a himem.sys replacement and jemm386 needed it? if it doesnt I'll try it without and see how it goes. Their homepage was down for me yesterday so I couldnt do much checking.

No; himemx is a himem.sys replacement and jemm386 is an emm386 replacement. They jemm386 needs himem.sys, himemx or an equivalent. But sometimes you may want to mix-and-match, e.g. jemm386 with himem.sys, emm386 with himemx etc. Jemmex combines himemx and jemm386 in one file and uses less memory that both combined.

Also, the original website has been out for a year or more, use the ones from freedos which they're officially part of.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4832 of 27446, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Jemmex combines himemx and jemm386 in one file and uses less memory that both combined.

oooh that was my problem. didnt know about jemmex, only himemx + jemm386. ill check it. thanks.

Reply 4833 of 27446, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Set up my newly acquired Asus Crosshair 590 SLI system from 2006. Flashed community modified bios and then got my 2010 AMD Athlo […]
Show full quote

Set up my newly acquired Asus Crosshair 590 SLI system from 2006. Flashed community modified bios and then got my 2010 AMD Athlon II x3 445 CPU running natively in it. Then set about installing XP-32 and then tuned and overclocked the CPU and ram and then set it up with my pair of 6800 Ultra PCI-Express 512MB cards and using XP-32 to try and chase down some world records on hwbot with it. I already got it up to 128,000 in aquamark3.. still trying more.

Current test setup:
r_DSC06970.jpg

And I had the processor up at 3885 Mhz for a while, but then I realized it was running the ram at just 680 Mhz. So then in order to get the ram up to ddr2-947 I had to switch to focusing on base clock instead and as a result of getting the base clock maxed out and thus ram at max speed.. I lost a little CPU speed, down to 3691 Mhz, oh well.

Everest-Ultimate.png

I'm already just about to post and score a gold world record with 3dmark `99 max for these 6800 ultra's and then move on to other benchmarks and see where the results come in, see if it's worth posting up there or not yet.

I think I'm going to need a newer processor with a lot more cache to ever get a remote chance of striking close to the big world records by others.

If you're trying to make me jealous you can stop. You already succeeded

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4834 of 27446, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:
Set up my newly acquired Asus Crosshair 590 SLI system from 2006. Flashed community modified bios and then got my 2010 AMD Athlo […]
Show full quote

Current test setup:
r_DSC06970.jpg

Everest-Ultimate.png

I saw some of your scores, nice work!
But yeah your need more CPU power for 3dmark 2001 and newer to brake the records.

Reply 4835 of 27446, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Gotta love those Teac combo floppies.

is this a contemporary product, or some ultra rare retro?
does it attach to floppy controller only or is there a scsi version available too?

Reply 4836 of 27446, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If you're trying to make me jealous you can stop. You already succeeded

Please do not take this personally. I am not directly trying to upset you or anything of that sort. I'm just sharing with everyone.. happy about my new purchase and sharing some of my happiness. If you take it as some sort of personal insult then that's on you and it's not intentional on my part.

Jade Falcon wrote:

I saw some of your scores, nice work!
But yeah your need more CPU power for 3dmark 2001 and newer to brake the records.

I changed some things around with it and spent all of yesterday "going after" stability on a different one of the 3 ram dividers and ended up with 3825 Mhz & DDR2-1020 instead.

What I've found out is yes this board will (most likely) take any AM3 CPU, but it will run all of them at half of their HT-Link speed, which does degrade performance a good bit. But it should take them none the less.

And yes after lots of testing, tuning, and tweaking yesterday.. I finally got the dual-6800-Ultra pair up to reporting 127,000 in AquaMark3, which is within striking distance of the bottom of the world records for the 6800-ultra-SLI lists on hwbot. Close, but no cigar, not yet anyway.

I then decided to go on last night and "See how far this platform can go" and ended up with 158k aquamark3 as the fastest it would do with this 3 core chip. And then decided to see if it's a CPU limitation.. swapped em all for my GTX-770-4GB and tried it in there with XP-32. First off, yes it works 100% fine in this board. (It required re-arranging the PCI cards until I found the right combination it was happy with.....) but it ultimately ran fine.

And then to realize that it reported the same 158k in aquamark 3 with the GTX 770 too. So.. that's it. I've reached the limit of this processor and know it now. It was fun to play with for a little while but now it's sitting in the other room until I get a faster processor for it. Then I'll play with it more. A friend of mine is supposed to send me a 1st generation Phenom quad core soon. But ultimately I think I'm going to bite it and spend $70 and try a 6 core am3 chip in it as a gamble and see if it'll take it. Chances are high but it's completely unknown. I'll try it though.

Originally I planned to use this to replace my (failing and slowly dying) x58-i7 system as my secondary backup computer to use in case my 3770k croaks on me some day (I'm running that thing within an inch of it's life @ 4.8 ghz daily water cooled) But I have a long way to go for this older am2 system. Getting a 4th Kingston hyper-X 2GB DDR2-1066 stick so I can try 4 in dual channel for 8GB ram.. and then try a 6 core.. and get a aftermarket custom water block for it.. (looks like $90 for a good one there.. yikes, that's going to take a while) then it should be good and usable with windows 7 64-bit for modern gaming. If it takes the 6 core that'll be almost my favorite computer ever. I still need to google around and see if I can figure out if anyone ever made vrm-mosfet waterblocks for this thing.. and chipset blocks maybe, some day. nforce 590 chipsets run pretty darn warm. Averages 50c - 55c for the SLI chipset when gaming and 2 video cards, even with added fans on the thing and replacing the TIM under the heat pipe array. Within spec... but still warmer than I'd like.

Reply 4838 of 27446, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote:

Started to assemble my 200mmx System today as my AT case arrived.

Oh boy how nostalgic, it's the exact same case i had back in 1997 for my p200mmx pc. What a great coincidence.

My p200mmx was overclocked to 225 (mostly stable , but sometimes i had problems, since bus was OC at 75 Mhz ) and had a matrox mystique 220 later paired with a voodoo 2 in '98

Reply 4839 of 27446, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shipped off some video cards to some happy new owners. Keeping my fx 5950 ultra. No way Im finding another one of these for $15 and there is a motherboard screaming for it.