VOGONS

Reply 5640 of 27574, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Havent posted here for a little while, so some of these things are from a week or so ago:

• * Got a Toshiba Portege 3110CT, installed Win98SE on it along with driver and DOS games and such. Even managed to get it online via a cardbus wifi card 🤣
    * Went to the local markets and bought 2 Iomega Jaz drives (1 internal, 1 external), and an internal iomega zip drive. Already had one, but this one is blue and scsi so thats nice
    * While at the markets, a scored a box with 11 IDE drives (most of which work and look like they've not been used at all). A couple of them a sub 1GB drives so thats awesome. Also got a few graphics cards with it, including a 3DFX Voodoo card (I've only ever had Voodoo2 cards before).
    * Last night went and acquired a Toshiba Data Projector TLP-411 which is very much period correct for much of my equipment. Works wonderfully, if a little noisy

I'm sure there is more... but life is a blur lately.

Reply 5641 of 27574, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I swapped my main PC into an old 2002 era beige Antec midtower. GPU fan needs a few hundred extra RM's to keep temps down, but other than that it works great!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5642 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went thrifting and found these games for my Packard Bell 486 and K6-2 PCs for $0.40 + tax:

20170504_220247.jpg
Filename
20170504_220247.jpg
File size
3.99 MiB
Views
File comment
Wing Commander II Deluxe, 3D Ultra Pinball, 3D Ultra Pinball: The Lost Continent, and SIMCITY 2000 Special Edition (CD collection) all in mint condition
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5643 of 27574, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Went thrifting and found these games for my Packard Bell 486 and K6-2 PCs for $0.40 + tax:

20170504_220247.jpg

Can't go wrong with Simcity 2000 *Godzilla foot lands on my house, mayor does nothing*

Anywho, today I got around to installing Windows 98 on a Dell Dimension 2400 (PCI/IDE only version of the 4600) along with my PCI GeForce2MX/400 and SB0200 Dell OEM Soundblaster. The computer was given to me for free by one of my school teachers. The cards I already had. Nothing special obviously but my intention with building this was having a dedicated machine to fool around with old reference and office software which I somewhat collect. When I ended up with a bottom bracket dell with only PCI slots I decided it was the perfect base. It has a 2.4GHZ Celeron processor and 512MB of Hynix DDR2 memory, not at all excessive for an early 2000's office PC build.

Has anyone else here ever done and office PC build? or am I alone in my weirdness?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 5644 of 27574, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Can't go wrong with Simcity 2000 *Godzilla foot lands on my house, mayor does nothing* […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

20170504_220247.jpg

Can't go wrong with Simcity 2000 *Godzilla foot lands on my house, mayor does nothing*

Anywho, today I got around to installing Windows 98 on a Dell Dimension 2400 (PCI/IDE only version of the 4600) along with my PCI GeForce2MX/400 and SB0200 Dell OEM Soundblaster. The computer was given to me for free by one of my school teachers. The cards I already had. Nothing special obviously but my intention with building this was having a dedicated machine to fool around with old reference and office software which I somewhat collect. When I ended up with a bottom bracket dell with only PCI slots I decided it was the perfect base. It has a 2.4GHZ Celeron processor and 512MB of Hynix DDR2 memory, not at all excessive for an early 2000's office PC build.

Has anyone else here ever done and office PC build? or am I alone in my weirdness?

I actually have that exact PC lying in a cupboard here (sans GPU) and was considering doing exactly what you've done. I'd be very interested to know how it is, since grabbing a card to go in with it would be easy and cheap.

Reply 5645 of 27574, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Pentium 800 CPU with a PCI only mATX board and 256MB RAM lying around somewhere and I may very well do something similar for a 1999/2000 office PC sometime down the line, using Win98 and Office 2000.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5646 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to play my MS-DOS games in Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with my Roland MT-32, and unfortunately, I get errors either within the game (Frederik Pohl's Gateway gives me an error saying the MT32 cannot be detected at IRQ 2), or out of memory issues (NHL Hockey 95). I have the drivers installed, yet MS-DOS playa the games without issues. Maybe it has to deal with a conflict of some sort? I was testing a Sound Blaster 16 PnP card (forgot to check the settings in DOS) and that maybe the issue, but I digress.

I Will upgrade my HDD from the 1GB CF card to 2GB CF card, install MS-DOS 6, upgrade to 6.22, copy everything from the old CF card to the new one (drivers, autoexec & config files, games, etc.), and install WFW 3.11 to see if it'll resolve my issues.

Edit: I installed a 2GB CF card into the system, placed an IBM 16MB SIMM 72 in place of the Compaq RAM, and the system says there's 36MB RAM installed (4MB on-board, 16MB IBM stick, and a 4MB SIMM), which I have a hard time believing, unless the CPU upgrade has something to do with that one SIMM that was installed by the previous owner, and that is weird.

Edit 2: Figured out what went wrong: the 4MB SIMM DOA'd itself and DOS wouldn't load himem.sys after testing the RAM. Now it has 20MB installed

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-05-05, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5647 of 27574, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... My mission is done. I did my last build today, and now I have a collection of machines, wich display the evolution of the PC from the mid 80's to around 2000/2001. (This is some 13 or so computers in total) All the machines are in perfect working condition. In the process, I took some pictures of this Pentium 166 with Voodoo1, S3 Trio64v+ and so on... Even got a ZIP-100 SCSI drive and a controller installed in this machine.

Happy that this is over. I have been working on this project since 2013. 😀 Now I need to take pictures of them all and install era correct software.

P166-01.jpg
Filename
P166-01.jpg
File size
170.67 KiB
Views
File license
P166-02.jpg
Filename
P166-02.jpg
File size
259.19 KiB
Views
File license
P166-03.jpg
Filename
P166-03.jpg
File size
194.39 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5648 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Well.... My mission is done. I did my last build today, and now I have a collection of machines, wich display the evolution of t […]
Show full quote

Well.... My mission is done. I did my last build today, and now I have a collection of machines, wich display the evolution of the PC from the mid 80's to around 2000/2001. (This is some 13 or so computers in total) All the machines are in perfect working condition. In the process, I took some pictures of this Pentium 166 with Voodoo1, S3 Trio64v+ and so on... Even got a ZIP-100 SCSI drive and a controller installed in this machine.

Happy that this is over. I have been working on this project since 2013. 😀 Now I need to take pictures of them all and install era correct software.

P166-01.jpg
P166-02.jpg
P166-03.jpg

Nice system, especially that sound card is the best.

Reply 5649 of 27574, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sketchus wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Can't go wrong with Simcity 2000 *Godzilla foot lands on my house, mayor does nothing* […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

20170504_220247.jpg

I actually have that exact PC lying in a cupboard here (sans GPU) and was considering doing exactly what you've done. I'd be very interested to know how it is, since grabbing a card to go in with it would be easy and cheap.

I actually ended up having to switch to Windows ME because the GF2 was causing an unresolvable memory access location conflict. After that I did run an obligatory 3DMark 99 test and it scored 5k on the GPU and 26k on the CPU. This means graphically it was performing in the TNT2 Pro range. The exact card was a Jaton 3DForce 2MX 32MB PCI. IMO it performs exactly as intended: Average for the time.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 5650 of 27574, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

14 hours of MEMTEST (4 passes)...
...now my Dual Pentium 3 1000 (VIA 694) has 2048MB SDRAM PC133 running at CL2 😎

Pabloz wrote:
the guy that had it had NO clue of what he was selling, he told me nobody buys this stuff only you i asked if he had other coast […]
Show full quote
Arctic wrote:

testing and sorting hardware 😀

I also installed my ESI Juli@ PCI into my main system. Great card!
Next time I will post some pictures!

the guy that had it had NO clue of what he was selling, he told me nobody buys this stuff only you
i asked if he had other coast modules and he did not

how do we avoid bios chips from failing? is there a way to make a backup? and new bios chips can be bought flashed and installed?

I think you meant "bjwil1991" and not me, right?

Reply 5651 of 27574, by luisile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi;
I got a wifi pci card zyxel g-302 v3 for free and i have installed it in my P3 rig currently running win xp without succses. It trys to connect but cannot. I dont know why...

Reply 5652 of 27574, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luisile wrote:

Hi;
I got a wifi pci card zyxel g-302 v3 for free and i have installed it in my P3 rig currently running win xp without succses. It trys to connect but cannot. I dont know why...

Make sure your XP is running service pack 2 at least, it added WPA support. SP3 added WPA2 support natively I believe. Also make sure you uninstall and don't use any included connection software with it. Only use the built in windows wireless configuration. And go check services.msc / system services and make sure wireless zero is running and dhcp is running.

Most software included with wifi cards for XP was to provide WPA support for older service packs that didn't have it built in. So with later service packs you don't need it.

Reply 5654 of 27574, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried my new ST251-1 for the first time and decided to grab my phone and take some footage, enjoy! 😀

https://youtu.be/SrUzie72PWw

Reply 5655 of 27574, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@krivulak that ST-251 has such an awesome sound to it. It has a real thump to it when those heads move and the drum spin up sounded like it meant serious business.

Nice that Seagate put that head parking mechanism into the drive too. On the ST-225 you need to run a park command in DOS before turning off the PC.

Reply 5656 of 27574, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@orinoko Yeah, I love it too 😀

I believe this was the first drive that used autopark. I thought it didn't and the seller aswell, that's why the price was so low.

Reply 5658 of 27574, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

That's awesome. I've been aiming for something similar for a couple of years now, however I don't think I have the funds or even the space to do that 😵

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 5659 of 27574, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today was day of testing,besides stuff from "bought oldware today" thread i finally managed to test my ZX spectrum clone.
So far i stuck on this,insides looks good,so i blame faulty av cable,powering on - so far so good 😀

M5taJqwl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png