VOGONS

Reply 6040 of 27445, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Unfortunately phasechange and ln2 are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range (my usual total income at the moment […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Nice. You should throw a E8400 E0 stepping in there and see what it can do.

Do you have any plans to go LN2 or Phasechange?

Unfortunately phasechange and ln2 are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range (my usual total income at the moment is $30 - $40/month.) Plus I'm saving up for a new video card for my big gaming computer (my dual-1366 rig) some time soon.

I did also get one of my other chips to run well. I have a single core cedar mill celeron I got to run at 5200 mhz, but kinda pointless.

And then finally after "playing around" with the p4's I loaded up my best spare 775 chip for it a x6800 and playing with that. Turns out the multiplier being unlocked is almost completely useless on it. My x6800 won't do a single +1 mhz over 3905 or it won't even start up. But 3900 - 3905 is perfect and runs great. Unfortunately this x48 motherboard I have doesn't like any of my fast ddr3 I own.. I have a set of ADATA DDR3 (3x4GB) rated for 2000 mhz, and a 4x4GB set of Mushkin Blackline ram rated for 2400 mhz. Neither will actually run at all in it. The only ram I can get to work in this board is my set of 1GB DDR3-1066-ECC (not registered) ram from when I first got my file server some 4 years ago. Works in this thing but I only get 4GB ram for now. Maybe I'll try a set of kingston in it later. Kingston works in everything.

Is it possible Intel put an artificial limitation on the X6800?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6041 of 27445, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing Half Life for the first time! Duron 650 MHz & TNT2 Pro, only 17 years late! 😉

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 6042 of 27445, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Is it possible Intel put an artificial limitation on the X6800?

Nope, there's lots of people on hwbot.org that have posted wprime 1024m scores for the x6800 @ 5000+ mhz, multiple results. The chips can do it.. it's all in the luck of the silicon lotto. Unfortunately the one I bought, is just a crappy overclocker. That's what you get. Some do well some don't. Never know until you buy one and put it in and try it.

EDIT: I just won a listing on ebay, 4 x Core2Duo 6MB E8400's for $10 free shipping. So let's hope at least 1 out of the 4 can be pushed to or near 5 Ghz, maybe I'll get lucky with this batch.

Reply 6043 of 27445, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

@armankordi - nice collection! Which are your favorite so far?

I have many, many favorites.. All of my PS/2's certainly, my main 486DX/2 build (DOS6.2/WFW3.11, DX/2 66, Cirrus Logic GL5426 VLB 1MB, 32MB ram, 500MB HDD, AWE32 value) (the midtower next to the PS/2 77i), the Compaq Deskpro EN tower (P3 1GHz, 512MB, ATI 8500DV, win2k) The rightmost PC at the bottom (Pentium mmx 233, voodoo banshee PCI 16mb, 64MB ram, w95osr2). Oh, and the Mac SE that has a cyclone turbo upgrade.

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 6044 of 27445, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm attempting to run Lubuntu on my iMac G3/600 with some success. Apparently, the Rage 128 drivers weren't installed, so I had to go into the terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 on my keyboard (it's a Windows Keyboard), make an xorg.conf file, installed the drivers, restarted the LightDM service with some success, edited the xorg file again, and I finally got the display to work since the colors were waaaaay off.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6045 of 27445, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sold a spare 12MB Voodoo 2 I had because I really don't see myself dealing with a Voodoo 2 SLI (No SS7 systems, have a Voodoo 3 for my Slot 1 system, the other V2 is in an MMX PC and doing SLI there would have dubious benefits..) but I'm still regretting it. The box is now on its way and I feel like I sold one of my children 🙁

Not even sure if I got good money for it (45GBP).

Oh well.. Hoarding is bad, I have too much crap already, no room for spares.

But I miss it so much..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6046 of 27445, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Sold a spare 12MB Voodoo 2 I had because I really don't see myself dealing with a Voodoo 2 SLI (No SS7 systems, have a Voodoo 3 […]
Show full quote

Sold a spare 12MB Voodoo 2 I had because I really don't see myself dealing with a Voodoo 2 SLI (No SS7 systems, have a Voodoo 3 for my Slot 1 system, the other V2 is in an MMX PC and doing SLI there would have dubious benefits..) but I'm still regretting it. The box is now on its way and I feel like I sold one of my children 🙁

But I miss it so much..

Yeah the line between collecting and hoarding is pretty blurry in this hobby and your right: hoarding is bad.

Seriously, if I'm not careful I know myself well enough to know that in 20 years my house may be commonly mistake for an electronics scrap yard.

Look at it this way: Now someone else can enjoy the wonders of GLIDE support.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6047 of 27445, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Sold a spare 12MB Voodoo 2 I had because I really don't see myself dealing with a Voodoo 2 SLI (No SS7 systems, have a Voodoo 3 […]
Show full quote

But I miss it so much..

It's okay, I just sold a V5 5500. The only one I've ever held in my hands in my life. I had it all of two weeks before it left me yesterday. Just enough time to run some benchmarks and verify it was in proper working order.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6048 of 27445, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Show full quote

But I miss it so much..

It's okay, I just sold a V5 5500. The only one I've ever held in my hands in my life. I had it all of two weeks before it left me yesterday. Just enough time to run some benchmarks and verify it was in proper working order.

Why would you sell your only V5500?

Reply 6049 of 27445, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's from an era that I have no interest in. My retro sweetspot is 1990-1998. I'm not much for collecting for the sake of collecting, so I'd rather someone else get some use out of it.

I've also got a Voodoo3 3500TV I'm trying to rehome for the same reason. Waiting on a P&G adapter to see if I can make it work without the octopus.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6050 of 27445, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's from an era that I have no interest in. My retro sweetspot is 1990-1998. I'm not much for collecting for the sake of collecting, so I'd rather someone else get some use out of it.

I've also got a Voodoo3 3500TV I'm trying to rehome for the same reason. Waiting on a P&G adapter to see if I can make it work without the octopus.

This is a line I need to draw as well. I find my interest in having a hardware/computer increases drastically once I go past the Pentium III era, but I find myself buying Socket A era crap all the time. Why? I have no idea. Probably because I really enjoyed the hardware and games back then, but the thing is - there is no point. Everything that worked on those hardware works on current hardware.. But I buy it like the sucker I am.. I ought to know where to stop and that should probably be 2000/Tualatin/WinMe..

Reply 6051 of 27445, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I sold mine last year too. They're only useful as a collector's item. Actual functionality and performance for gaming is easily dwarfed by many nvidia/amd cards of the time that are commonly available for cheap prices. The only reason anyone keeps a V5500 today is just as a display piece or something to look at.

Reply 6052 of 27445, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I sold mine last year too. They're only useful as a collector's item. Actual functionality and performance for gaming is easily dwarfed by many nvidia/amd cards of the time that are commonly available for cheap prices. The only reason anyone keeps a V5500 today is just as a display piece or something to look at.

Hmmm.. I've the one I bought brand new when it was in stores.

And I recently picked up another for a good price.

I don't care that there are newer cards that will run the same stuff "better". It is the best card released from 3dfx and even though there are Glide wrappers out there, I still like the real hardware.

That being said, I have newer/faster stuff as well. Not even sure what I am going to use the second card for yet.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6053 of 27445, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Hmmm.. I've the one I bought brand new when it was in stores. […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Hmmm.. I've the one I bought brand new when it was in stores.

And I recently picked up another for a good price.

I don't care that there are newer cards that will run the same stuff "better". It is the best card released from 3dfx and even though there are Glide wrappers out there, I still like the real hardware.

That being said, I have newer/faster stuff as well. Not even sure what I am going to use the second card for yet.

It makes a good bartering chip if nothing else.

Reply 6054 of 27445, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did some hot swapping/cross flashing of BIOS chips. Wanted to be sure I have the capacity to go back to square one if something goes wrong when adding Tualatin microcodes to my Abit BH6 board.

Flashed a BH6 BIOS image on the chips salvaged from two P2B boards back when I studied at the officer's school (didn't have room for the boards back then, just took RAM and BIOS chips 🙁) in a MSI MS-6119 board. Worked like a charm.

Reply 6055 of 27445, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

As long as raw performance is considered, yes (although the V5 6000 has been tested to compete very well with the GeForce 2 Ultra, but that's not the point here). But what about FSAA? It took nVidia and ATI many years, almost an entire decade to come up with FSAA modes that were comparable on an image quality level. And Hardware T&L was virtually irrelevant during the V5's lifespan (I used my V5 back then without any issues until I got the then new GeForce 3 to have DX8). So saying they were beaten when it comes to functionality, well, that's not quite right in my books.

I tend to use a V5 for anything Glide. Just because it can add 4x FSAA (or 8x FSAA if I use my V5 6000). This vastly improves image quality. What I actually don't use anymore is every other Voodoo card I have (because of the lacking image quality).

Using a certain card just because it provides more fps than another card that provides better image quality has never felt right for me. I want to enjoy perfect image quality, at a certain fluid speed of course but it doesn't matter to me whether something runs with 60fps or with 250fps. But what does matter, at least for me, is image quality, I won't make compromises there. If someone gains satisfaction from having the faster card with inferior image quality, well, to each his own...

So, there are many uses for a V5 today. It runs all of my Win9x Glide games, with the best FSAA implementation available. As a matter of fact, the added FSAA made me replay many games that predate the V5, just to enjoy them again, this time with even better image quality. I would even say, this did more to enhance the game than many modern remasters do 😉

My summary: The V5 is still a very important card, because it gives you Glide + unmatched FSAA quality. This cannot be accomplished by any other hardware! If you want to play Win9x Glide games and actually own a V5 you should hold on to it and never ever sell it!

END OF LINE.

Reply 6056 of 27445, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
voodoo5_6k wrote:
As long as raw performance is considered, yes (although the V5 6000 has been tested to compete very well with the GeForce 2 Ultr […]
Show full quote

As long as raw performance is considered, yes (although the V5 6000 has been tested to compete very well with the GeForce 2 Ultra, but that's not the point here). But what about FSAA? It took nVidia and ATI many years, almost an entire decade to come up with FSAA modes that were comparable on an image quality level. And Hardware T&L was virtually irrelevant during the V5's lifespan (I used my V5 back then without any issues until I got the then new GeForce 3 to have DX8). So saying they were beaten when it comes to functionality, well, that's not quite right in my books.

I tend to use a V5 for anything Glide. Just because it can add 4x FSAA (or 8x FSAA if I use my V5 6000). This vastly improves image quality. What I actually don't use anymore is every other Voodoo card I have (because of the lacking image quality).

Using a certain card just because it provides more fps than another card that provides better image quality has never felt right for me. I want to enjoy perfect image quality, at a certain fluid speed of course but it doesn't matter to me whether something runs with 60fps or with 250fps. But what does matter, at least for me, is image quality, I won't make compromises there. If someone gains satisfaction from having the faster card with inferior image quality, well, to each his own...

So, there are many uses for a V5 today. It runs all of my Win9x Glide games, with the best FSAA implementation available. As a matter of fact, the added FSAA made me replay many games that predate the V5, just to enjoy them again, this time with even better image quality. I would even say, this did more to enhance the game than many modern remasters do 😉

My summary: The V5 is still a very important card, because it gives you Glide + unmatched FSAA quality. This cannot be accomplished by any other hardware! If you want to play Win9x Glide games and actually own a V5 you should hold on to it and never ever sell it!

I don't know how image quality relates but we can just get any modern nvidia card (even up to like the entire 900 series, and Titan-X Maxwell), load WinXP-32 and WinXP32 drivers and run up to 32x Super-Sampling AA for any older game to a point. Some older games won't run under this but most will.

Reply 6057 of 27445, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

I don't know how image quality relates but we can just get any modern nvidia card (even up to like the entire 900 series, and Titan-X Maxwell), load WinXP-32 and WinXP32 drivers and run up to 32x Super-Sampling AA for any older game to a point. Some older games won't run under this but most will.

Eh, no. Not only that you won't find the drivers to run them in WinXP-32, but they will also cause all sorts of issues with older games running in older DX versions. You CAN find much faster cards tha nthe V5 for sure, but a GTX970 won't go very far for retro games.

Reply 6058 of 27445, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Technically, you are of course right. I won't argue with that although compatibility is not as good as what you claim (at least from what I experienced, which was one of the major reasons for me to get all my old parts from storage). Well, I even do that myself sometimes (nGlide + Evga GeForce GTX Titan X SC @ 1367MHz) 😀 Nowadays even the FSAA is matching what 3dfx did back then. My argument was targeted at V5 vs. GF2 Ultra and newer in the AGP era, or stuff like that, assuming one wanted to still stay "retro" to some degree (because of this retro activity thread). Of course if you are fine with running those games on modern hardware, that's a completely different thing. Like I said, I do this myself sometimes 😉

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2017-07-12, 07:22. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 6059 of 27445, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Eh, no. Not only that you won't find the drivers to run them in WinXP-32, but they will also cause all sorts of issues with older games running in older DX versions. You CAN find much faster cards tha nthe V5 for sure, but a GTX970 won't go very far for retro games.

It was my bad.. nvidia.com had "WinXP" in the drop-down list for the 900 series but select it and "nothing found" looks like the 700 series are the last XP-32 cards, oops.

And yeah kinda getting off topic here.. sorry about that, should stick to retro stuff.