VOGONS

Reply 6500 of 27549, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
juglenaut wrote:

I had a nvidia 5700fx ultra that started a computer on fire and the heat sink and fan disappeared.

And the gpu tried to dock with the sound blaster audigy gold and squealed like a stuck pig.

I still remember the gut wrenching ear burning yell for help it made.

Sooo...got any pics? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6501 of 27549, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played around with an IBM XT 5160 motherboard. Couldn't really do much with it, as I've misplaced or lost my only XT keyboard and I'm not sure if the Floppy Controller I have even works with it either. 1 of my PS/2 keyboards would allow me to get into BASIC, but then the keys would just do random things from that point on. Another 2 AT keyboards had markings on the back where an AT/XT switch should be, but now isn't (probably earlier model hardware, just reusing the casing). 😠 This one is a work in progress.

Other retro activity today - I found a 104MB IDE Hard Drive in a box. Tested it out and amazingly it's still working, giving 191MB with DriveSpace compression. No idea what I'll do with such a small hard drive, but it may find a use eventually, possibly on a DOS based system.

Also ordered a 5 1/4" floppy drive off eBay. I have loads of disks, but no longer had a working drive to read any of them, so this should come in handy.

Reply 6502 of 27549, by juglenaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tetrium »
Unfortunately this happened way back 2004 and didn't have a cell phone or camera.

Nvidia refused warranty needless to say though it was the card that went.

I still have the sound card and it still works after I repaired it.

Reply 6503 of 27549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made some GM recordings with my Dreamblaster S2, I will post them on sound cloud and write up a detailed review, maybe even post a captioned Youtube video later.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6504 of 27549, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my P4 rig hooked up. Been playing Elite Force and FarCry.

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    Filename
    photo (20).JPG
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6505 of 27549, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Deanodized some case parts today. Once I finish up cleaning the metal ill re anodize it silver.

The kandalf logo on the one pice was a real bic* to remove. It was several layers or paint and different colors of anodizing. I ended up taking 60 grit paper to it.

Reply 6506 of 27549, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been testing a few P3 slot-1 boards I got from Goodwill. All were marked 'as-is'.

Asus P2B-LS, works fine, limited to Katmai. Not a fan of the E-ATX form factor.
Asus P2B-DS, works fine. Holy hell those retention brackets suck. Literally spent 15min trying to pry my P3-450 out of it.

Asus P3C-D (HP Kayak KM600). I cannot get this working. Plugged in ATX power and the Aux 5V. CPU fan will spin up. GPU fan will spin up. But no video signal. I have the DIP switches set to default. I cleared the CMOS via battery removal. Using 3x PC800-45 256MB RDRAM (that are good). Any ideas?

Reply 6507 of 27549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As part of the restoration project for my AMD64 XP rig, I've replaced the thermal paste on its BFG nVidia Geforce 7800GS OC AGP video card as an effort to prolong its lifespan considering the GF7000 and 8000 series were affected by bumpgate. I do plan on buying an AGP ATI Radeon card of a similar vintage for the day this gives up the ghost so I'm prepared.

IMG_1494.JPG
Filename
IMG_1494.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license

Before re-greasing - holy hell that (white) thermal paste has really dried up.

IMG_1495.JPG
Filename
IMG_1495.JPG
File size
803.19 KiB
Views
File license

The backside of the card - moar memory chips!

IMG_1496.JPG
Filename
IMG_1496.JPG
File size
559.7 KiB
Views
File license

The chips after removing the old thermal compound.

IMG_1497.JPG
Filename
IMG_1497.JPG
File size
541.81 KiB
Views
File license

Here's the heatsink after removing the old compound.

Reply 6508 of 27549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ Chapter 2 - split because of the 5 attachments per post limitation. ^^^

IMG_1505.JPG
Filename
IMG_1505.JPG
File size
862.33 KiB
Views
File license

Re-greasing the top chips.

IMG_1506.JPG
Filename
IMG_1506.JPG
File size
768.6 KiB
Views
File license

Re-greasing the bottom chips. (Yes, I may have put a little too much on the top-left chip, but I've tried to even it as much as I could after the picture was taken.)

IMG_1507.JPG
Filename
IMG_1507.JPG
File size
635.8 KiB
Views
File license

And here's the card itself with the final result!

----
On a semi-related note, I took a picture of the edge of the GPU chip here:

IMG_1503.JPG
Filename
IMG_1503.JPG
File size
790.91 KiB
Views
File license

How long until I have to reflow this?

Reply 6509 of 27549, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Formatted a '98 Quantum Fireball SE in FAT32 on my Athlon XP pc for a customer. Man that thing is noisy compared to any modern HDD 🤣

Reply 6510 of 27549, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so many artifacts on vgas make me wonder

IF i change the cooler, and give heatsinks with arctic alumina to the ram
will it keep it safe?

I have seen MANY radeons 9800 pro that died, or gave artifacts. just wondering what to do if i find one healthy

Reply 6511 of 27549, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Created a capacitor map for a slot 1 A-Trend board I got today that doesn't work. Gonna visit an electronics shop near me and see if they can get me the caps. This is my first attempt at recapping and/or capacitor mapping 😊

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 6512 of 27549, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mouser.com is where i get mine. reasonable prices, huge selection, fast shipping. i omly buy nichicon caps.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6513 of 27549, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday evening I tried to get the Magic Music Midia Sound 2000 SB soundcard working in my Packard Bell legend 610 but no dice so far 😒

The card doesn't have it's Original backplate anymore so I had to guess which is the speaker plug which makes it a bit harder.
Will try again Friday and if I cannot figure it out I will make a topic to get this card going, even if it is partly that I have some sound.

Reply 6514 of 27549, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Planning a Pentium 2 @ 450MHz build on an Abit BH-6 for DirectX games... Would a 10k rpm SCSI drive on the Adaptec 2940UW speed up loading times or congest the PCI bus, making performance worse?

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 6515 of 27549, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I'm going to do a similar build (same mobo and same cpu) !

The SCSI would probably be faster than the UDMA 33 controller. But I don't know if the difference will be really noticeable. Access time should be better though since it's a 10K rpm drive

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6516 of 27549, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice, let's see! The plan ATM is BH6/PII SL2WB/Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra/STB V2/Aureal Vortex 1... Have to find a nice case and then see how this turns out. Just thought I could use a spare 18gb server HDD in there.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 6517 of 27549, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have flashed the BIOS of my "Ferrari Coppermine" with a custom version that supports the Tualatin microcode, coming from the famous South Korean seller on Ebay. I've also ordered a Cooler Master Jet 7 heatsink, that should keep the CPU cool enough, hopefully. Soon it will become a Ferrari Tualatin! 😉

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 6518 of 27549, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a 5 1/4" floppy drive for my work-in-progress XT build. Was able to boot into MS-DOS 3.21, so far so good. Can't do much else at the moment, as I still haven't tracked down an XT keyboard (without resorting to eBay's extortionate pricing). Once I've tracked down a keyboard, I'll move on to the next issue - looking at Hard Drive options. I have an MFM drive + controller card, but no idea if the card has it's own BIOS.

Also played around with 1 of my Slot 1 systems with the same floppy drive as above, where it was behaving erractically. Sometimes it would read disks and others it wouldn't. To top it off, both my 98 & XP installs got corrupted. I noticed a bulging capacitor on the board near to the IDE & Floppy connectors, so I'm guessing there may be a link with the weird behaviour I'm seeing, or could just be a coincidence.

Reply 6519 of 27549, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

Created a capacitor map for a slot 1 A-Trend board I got today that doesn't work. Gonna visit an electronics shop near me and see if they can get me the caps. This is my first attempt at recapping and/or capacitor mapping 😊

The picture is not very clear but they look like SANYO capacitor that usual are very good, I wouldn't change them
without some other test to the board!
Try connecting a speaker and just the CPU with no RAM if it boots you should hear some beeps.