Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Stock is 3GHZ so that's a 25 percent OC 😀

Looks more like a 33% 😉

Right.... How 2 math?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6582 of 27593, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
konc wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Stock is 3GHZ so that's a 25 percent OC 😀

Looks more like a 33% 😉

Right.... How 2 math?

Did we get our denominator and numerator the wrong way round?

Reply 6583 of 27593, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
konc wrote:

Looks more like a 33% 😉

Right.... How 2 math?

Did we get our denominator and numerator the wrong way round?

How to 1/2 math then? ;p

Reply 6584 of 27593, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dissected a samsung 1.8 inch drive.

WechatIMG34.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG34.jpeg
File size
93.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WechatIMG35.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG35.jpeg
File size
76.72 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG38.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG38.jpeg
File size
102.41 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG39.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG39.jpeg
File size
105.46 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG40.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG40.jpeg
File size
110.97 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6585 of 27593, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WechatIMG41.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG41.jpeg
File size
102.75 KiB
Views
File license

All screws removed. Are you ready for the internal beauty?

WechatIMG43.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG43.jpeg
File size
99.13 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG44.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG44.jpeg
File size
85.18 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG45.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG45.jpeg
File size
110.57 KiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG46.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG46.jpeg
File size
110.84 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6586 of 27593, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HDD magnets are fun to play with, especially from 3.5" drives. 😁 I saw one guy use a bunch of them to hold his son up against a metal building (through his clothing).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6587 of 27593, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got hold of another box of my floppies from when I was a kid. Started the process of going through & backing these up, looking for interesting or rare software, unreleased drivers, etc. I'm not sure how many of these have survived intact but initial results are promising.

flopcrop.jpg
Filename
flopcrop.jpg
File size
358.95 KiB
Views
File license
flops.jpg
Filename
flops.jpg
File size
352.69 KiB
Views
File license

BTW, I love this. Did you ever make a C64 or Atari 800 "flippy" disk by notching out a write-protect hole in the other side, doubling its capacity for free? I did, loads, I even had (have!) a special punch tool for it.

Apparently my child brain followed the logic and thought this is how you make a 3.5" double-density disk into a high-density disk. I actually found a few of these. Wonder what's on them and if they're even readable...

holeflop.jpg
Filename
holeflop.jpg
File size
148.97 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6588 of 27593, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

I did a rebuild of an old Compaq, and put it up for sale locally. Installed Win98se, TNT2, V2, 40gb HDD, 512mb Ram, changed the optical drive to a DVD drive and upgraded the CPU from 933mhz to 1ghz. Threw in a keyboard and an optical mouse. They are not the best, though for a start, it will do for the person that buy it. As I said, I have put it up locally, because it is too heavy to ship at a decent price.... (it was a hard choice, though I need the space)

P-III-01.jpg
P-III-02.jpg

Ah, i have one of these babies running in my garage. When i'm working overthere i use to either play some youtube content (at 480p through VLC player) or enjoy some mp3s, and last and most important being able to have a few PDFs opened with some manuals or schematics. I'm only able to run all of this with Lubuntu which also allows to have Skype and Steam chat running in the background through pidgin.
The upgrades it had was a Pentium 3 1Ghz, a PCI-SATA card for bigger and faster harddrives and a PCI geforce 6200 video card.
Also it is quite neat that it has a built in speaker.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 6589 of 27593, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

BTW, I love this. Did you ever make a C64 or Atari 800 "flippy" disk by notching out a write-protect hole in the other side, doubling its capacity for free? I did, loads, I even had (have!) a special punch tool for it.

it worked on c64 because disk drives had 1 head (one sided). in the case where drives were already double sidded, notching for extra capacity was very unreliable because the media wasnt made for it. HD disks had different magnetic coating to handle it.

notching 720kb DD disks into HD 1.44mb disks had a poor track record

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6591 of 27593, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BloodyCactus wrote:
xjas wrote:

it worked on c64 because disk drives had 1 head (one sided). in the case where drives were already double sidded, notching for extra capacity was very unreliable because the media wasnt made for it. HD disks had different magnetic coating to handle it.

notching 720kb DD disks into HD 1.44mb disks had a poor track record

True... Though you got 1.44 mb disks for temporary files, at 1/3 the price 1.44 disks were sold at back in 1987/89.
A couple of years later, they cost about the same. And when they hit the 16 US Cent level a piece, we just bought 100's of them.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6592 of 27593, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rick6 wrote:
Ah, i have one of these babies running in my garage. When i'm working overthere i use to either play some youtube content (at 48 […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

I did a rebuild of an old Compaq, and put it up for sale locally. Installed Win98se, TNT2, V2, 40gb HDD, 512mb Ram, changed the optical drive to a DVD drive and upgraded the CPU from 933mhz to 1ghz. Threw in a keyboard and an optical mouse. They are not the best, though for a start, it will do for the person that buy it. As I said, I have put it up locally, because it is too heavy to ship at a decent price.... (it was a hard choice, though I need the space)

P-III-01.jpg
P-III-02.jpg

Ah, i have one of these babies running in my garage. When i'm working overthere i use to either play some youtube content (at 480p through VLC player) or enjoy some mp3s, and last and most important being able to have a few PDFs opened with some manuals or schematics. I'm only able to run all of this with Lubuntu which also allows to have Skype and Steam chat running in the background through pidgin.
The upgrades it had was a Pentium 3 1Ghz, a PCI-SATA card for bigger and faster harddrives and a PCI geforce 6200 video card.
Also it is quite neat that it has a built in speaker.

Yeah... They are wonderfull little machines. No agp though, wich sucks. Yet they are small, and if one can settle with PCI cards (GF2, TNT2, V3), they are actually good machines. Can only be used for Win98 though, as there are no ISA slots. It is just a wonderfull Windows machine.

Reply 6593 of 27593, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played around with my LS486-E trying to get it to run with 60/66 Mhz front side bus.
At 50Mhz the second level cache is not able to cope(only 4 banks so no "interleaving" I assume) thus I had to disable it. Speed is ok, but now I wanted to make up for it with ram at a higher frequency... luckily a vogoner named "rad" reported that all jumpers shorted yield 66Mhz fsb. In addition JP19(undocumented) guarantees, according to "rad", that the other subsystems can run with external cpu clock/2 - and so within specs.

"Worked", but no ram module was able to withstand the test. I've already ordered one 50ns, 32MB stick and I'm pretty curious if this will be able to alleviate the current shortcomings.
There might be other reasons which I'm not currently aware of, of course!

I would love to have cache that worked at 50mhz fsb but I was not able to source one with 12ns and a 10ns tag... given such cache exists...?

Reply 6594 of 27593, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:
Played around with my LS486-E trying to get it to run with 60/66 Mhz front side bus. At 50Mhz the second level cache is not abl […]
Show full quote

Played around with my LS486-E trying to get it to run with 60/66 Mhz front side bus.
At 50Mhz the second level cache is not able to cope(only 4 banks so no "interleaving" I assume) thus I had to disable it. Speed is ok, but now I wanted to make up for it with ram at a higher frequency... luckily a vogoner named "rad" reported that all jumpers shorted yield 66Mhz fsb. In addition JP19(undocumented) guarantees, according to "rad", that the other subsystems can run with external cpu clock/2 - and so within specs.

"Worked", but no ram module was able to withstand the test. I've already ordered one 50ns, 32MB stick and I'm pretty curious if this will be able to alleviate the current shortcomings.

I would love to have cache that worked at 50mhz fsb but I was not able to source one with 12ns and a 10ns tag... given such cache exists...?

What CPU's have you had running successfully on it? I had some problems with dx2-80, yet the one in my list below, ran stable at stock speed. Even a real Amd 486dx4-120 chip did not run. So I have actually never overclocked my board at all. Shure I had issues with my board at first. When I got it, it would only run 5volt chips. I solved it with a new regulator.

- 486dx-33
- 486dx2-66
- 5x86-133

Reply 6595 of 27593, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did a few scans of one of an old magazine. Maximum PC Vol 1 Issue 1 "Dream machine '98"

http://imgur.com/a/sdiWu

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6596 of 27593, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
What CPU's have you had running successfully on it? I had some problems with dx2-80, yet the one in my list below, ran stable at […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote:
Played around with my LS486-E trying to get it to run with 60/66 Mhz front side bus. At 50Mhz the second level cache is not abl […]
Show full quote

What CPU's have you had running successfully on it? I had some problems with dx2-80, yet the one in my list below, ran stable at stock speed. Even a real Amd 486dx4-120 chip did not run. So I have actually never overclocked my board at all. Shure I had issues with my board at first. When I got it, it would only run 5volt chips. I solved it with a new regulator.

- 486dx-33
- 486dx2-66
- 5x86-133

Both an Intel DX4(WB) and an Am5x86/133/ADZ ran at 50fsb. Only the Intel was able to run at 66 since the AMD interprets 2x as x4 as far as I know.

At the standard 25/33/40 Mhz I have not come across any problems with 3V nor 5V cpus. TI/DX2-80 ran fine... but be aware that I do only have a small array of chips to test.

Reply 6597 of 27593, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ran a few benchmarks on my Slot A Athlon 600 + Voodoo2 SLI rig and it keeps giving me some weird results. Unreal gets me around 54FPS @ 1024x768, which seems about right, but then 3Dmark99 gives me 3670 3DMarks + 10135 CPU 3DMarks (800x600), which seems way too low...

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6598 of 27593, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

@xjas
What do you have that uses 20w-50? old VW?

I worked at an oil change place back when I packed a lot of this stuff up, hence the boxes. That said, I was driving a 1.5L Mitsubishi Mirage at the time with a burned piston ring & did run 20W50 in the summer in an effort to not burn all of it off. Drove it like that for at least two years. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6599 of 27593, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got around to flashing a Voodoo3 2000 PCI card from a Mac ROM back to a PC ROM. I no longer had any need for a Mac capable Voodoo 3 and my AMD K6-2 450 system needed a Graphics card. This particular PC only had SIS 530 onboard graphics, so the Voodoo3 is a vast improvement and working well. I might add a fan to this card at some point, it seems to run much hotter than my other Voodoo3 cards.

Also started the first phase of my attempted repair of an 8088 era motherboard - a tantalum had snapped off so I soldered it back on. Just waiting on delivery of one of those Silver Conductive Pens to see if I can repair the scratched traces. No idea if it will work or how reliable it will be, but I'm not really too great with soldering on wires so this is the best I can currently hope for.