VOGONS


Reply 12600 of 23624, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Item 131867610900 on ebay. About 9 EUR total, ships worldwide from Taiwan. Had I the need for one, I'd get one right now. Seems like it fits the bill.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12601 of 23624, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That particular one seems to have muxed digits so it isn't gonna work on the turbo displays that I know of.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12602 of 23624, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried setting up a 386 from scratch today... been a while since I worked with old hardware so I need to ease into it again... at first it didn't boot at all, so I went through touching the cpu... warm... gpu... warm... then I accidentally slipped my finger over the cache... ouch!
there were only two cache chips on the board, but both of them were scorching hot, it took me quite a while to remove them because the cache sockets are right in between the simm sockets and the first isa slot, and one of the chips was jammed in so tight it was hard to get anything underneath to pry it up with.

without cache it bootet up... decided to sort out the cache situation later.
then I hit the next roadblock... I didn't really know how to set up a hard drive from scratch anymore... so I skipped that for now too and tried to boot from my new gotek to just try stuff out a bit...
but that didn't work either, I just couldn't get the gotek to work... a normal floppy seems to work fine, but all my old DOS floppys don't boot, could boot with a win95 start disk and switch to the dos floppy and it seems fine, so idk what's up about that, but since I didn't set up the CF drive yet I couldn't install anything anyways, but I couldn't figure out how to format the usb stick for the gotek, the format function on the gotek itself didn't seem to work... press both buttons and turn on? flashes a number very shortly but doesn't do anything, then I tried the tool from the gotek website but that didn't seem to do anything either... reading around a bit I realized how many different versions there are, I apparently bought a SFR1M44-FEL-DL... so yeah need to figure that out too now.

so all in all I realized I have to re-learn a lot of this stuff and I didn't really get very far 🤣

Reply 12603 of 23624, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally organized some CPU's and RAM from my workplace scrap haul. Lots of ECC RAM, everything from 512MB PC133 ECC DIMMs up to 8GB DDR3 ECC DIMMs, and some standard RAM from every generation since PC100. CPU's range from 486 DX2/66 up to socket 1366 Xeons of various types. Next up is a few Alpha DS10's we are getting rid of.. Gonna keep those complete.

KtNSxo5.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 12604 of 23624, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last night, I was playing around with a old PC-chips M912 with fake cache.

Kinda rough getting this motherboard into somewhat stable state using a Plug and Pray soundblaster, 486-DX33 and 72pin 8meg RAM.

After about 3 re-installs of windows 95, I think I have some stable settings.

Reply 12605 of 23624, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

Item 131867610900 on ebay. About 9 EUR total, ships worldwide from Taiwan. Had I the need for one, I'd get one right now. Seems like it fits the bill.

I need one to replace a 'Para Light A-502G' (datasheet attached):

- dual digit
- 18 pins (there is also a 10 pin variation of the A-502G called the A-502G-10)
- common anode
- .5 inch character height

The Lumex LDD-A5002RI seems to be a valid replacement. https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/LDD … FA5rozQXUUwg%3D

Attachments

1982 to 2001

Reply 12608 of 23624, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gotohell wrote:
https://imgshare.io/images/2019/08/16/photo_2019-08-16_10-05-16.th.jpg https://imgshare.io/images/2019/08/16/photo_2019-08-16_10 […]
Show full quote

photo_2019-08-16_10-05-16.th.jpg photo_2019-08-16_10-05-13.th.jpg photo_2019-08-16_10-05-12.th.jpg

It *ucking insane. Try repair

Intel VC820?

That's a lot of damage and a lot of missing caps.Good luck!

1982 to 2001

Reply 12609 of 23624, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

That board was probably a victim of someone who was repairing capacitor plague affected LG TVs - When those boards seemingly had no value they were often harvested for their caps. When local suppliers wanted $2 per cap and online sellers at the time has ridiculous shipping charges or minimum orders pulling good caps from old boards seemed like a good idea at the time.

Reply 12610 of 23624, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After finishing Spycraft: The Great Game, I started on "Sam & Max: Hit The Road" with my retro gaming fun.

It's a bit disappointing to be "cheating" a little with the game, using a walkthrough guide found on Google. But to be fair, the guide helps to make certain game actions make sense. For example, I used a guide for Spycraft, only because the game didn't have subtitles (but Sam & Max does have). For a deaf player, back in 1996, was a huge mountain to escalate. Now with a cochlear implant and in 2019, I still needed it... I'm sure that for "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" I will not need a walkthrough guide.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12611 of 23624, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

After finishing Spycraft: The Great Game, I started on "Sam & Max: Hit The Road" with my retro gaming fun.

It's a bit disappointing to be "cheating" a little with the game, using a walkthrough guide found on Google. But to be fair, the guide helps to make certain game actions make sense. For example, I used a guide for Spycraft, only because the game didn't have subtitles (but Sam & Max does have). For a deaf player, back in 1996, was a huge mountain to escalate. Now with a cochlear implant and in 2019, I still needed it... I'm sure that for "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" I will not need a walkthrough guide.

To be honest: some puzzles in Sam & Max don't make a lot of sense. I mean, you can't get into dead ends, but still... Speech or no speech it doesn't matter much. Although I have to admit that the talkie version of Sam & Max is pretty well made. But you aren't missing out on much fun.

Have you ever tried interactive fiction? I.e. Infocom adventures or modern homebrews? They have some of the best story telling and best puzzles. Of course no graphics, if you are into that. This year's XYZZY awards have also just been out: https://xyzzyawards.org/?p=536

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 12612 of 23624, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regained a copy of Little Big Adventure. I had a cheapo jewel case version back in the day, since I couldn't afford the big box first edition. But got this one for cheap on eBay, and started playing in Boxer on the Mac, since my 386 won't handle it... 😉 Next up: I will try to run it on my Raspberry Pi, attached to the big TV. Should be fun!

IMG_3326.JPG
Filename
IMG_3326.JPG
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
533 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-16 um 23.28.40.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-16 um 23.28.40.png
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
533 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 12613 of 23624, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

After finishing Spycraft: The Great Game, I started on "Sam & Max: Hit The Road" with my retro gaming fun.

It's a bit disappointing to be "cheating" a little with the game, using a walkthrough guide found on Google. But to be fair, the guide helps to make certain game actions make sense. For example, I used a guide for Spycraft, only because the game didn't have subtitles (but Sam & Max does have). For a deaf player, back in 1996, was a huge mountain to escalate. Now with a cochlear implant and in 2019, I still needed it... I'm sure that for "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" I will not need a walkthrough guide.

To be honest: some puzzles in Sam & Max don't make a lot of sense. I mean, you can't get into dead ends, but still... Speech or no speech it doesn't matter much. Although I have to admit that the talkie version of Sam & Max is pretty well made. But you aren't missing out on much fun.

Have you ever tried interactive fiction? I.e. Infocom adventures or modern homebrews? They have some of the best story telling and best puzzles. Of course no graphics, if you are into that. This year's XYZZY awards have also just been out: https://xyzzyawards.org/?p=536

Actually, I haven't tried yet. I will give a look. I have been thinking about trying a game I have never played before - The Oregon Trail. I might do that after Sam & Max and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I've spent much of my childhood playing simtower, racing games and... Carmen Sandiego.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12614 of 23624, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tiido wrote:

That particular one seems to have muxed digits so it isn't gonna work on the turbo displays that I know of.

Cyrix200+ wrote:
I need one to replace a 'Para Light A-502G' (datasheet attached): […]
Show full quote
Mister Xiado wrote:

Item 131867610900 on ebay. About 9 EUR total, ships worldwide from Taiwan. Had I the need for one, I'd get one right now. Seems like it fits the bill.

I need one to replace a 'Para Light A-502G' (datasheet attached):

- dual digit
- 18 pins (there is also a 10 pin variation of the A-502G called the A-502G-10)
- common anode
- .5 inch character height

The Lumex LDD-A5002RI seems to be a valid replacement. https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/LDD … FA5rozQXUUwg%3D

Bleh, nothing simple is ever permitted to be easy.

Spent a couple days sunbathing a yellowed Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse, and bought a system disk (3.something) and a 3rd party mouse for my Mac Plus, that either needs general re-soldering, or a lot of cap replacements. Don't remember if I posted these yet, but hey, more 4-bit color Win95 icons. The readme contains detailed instructions on how to use them, but you can also use MicroAngelo to change a lot of them without having to root around in the registry.

icxw27.gif
disk.gif

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12615 of 23624, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recapped a PSU that failed in my server yesterday. Very nicely built Bestec but with all the 10V 2200µF capacitors burst on top. I'm amazed the server ran as long as it did with those 🤣.

Right now I'm determining lowest voltage the Athlon II X2 250 will stably run at when at stock 3GHz clock, for minimal power use and heat generation. 1.400V is the stock voltage, currently at 1.325V, 1.300V comes next ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12616 of 23624, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished Sam and Max. The game puzzles really makes no fuc*$#*ing sense at all. But it's still hilarious as it was 20 years ago.

Now I will try Atlantis next day.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12617 of 23624, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
bfcastello wrote:

Just finished Sam and Max. The game puzzles really makes no fuc*$#*ing sense at all. But it's still hilarious as it was 20 years ago.

Now I will try Atlantis next day.

I'd recommend Day of the Tentacle if you haven't played it already. Very similar to Sam and Max in some respects, apart from the fact that you are controlling three characters at a time which make for a whole new level of weird.

Reply 12618 of 23624, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gca wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Just finished Sam and Max. The game puzzles really makes no fuc*$#*ing sense at all. But it's still hilarious as it was 20 years ago.

Now I will try Atlantis next day.

I'd recommend Day of the Tentacle if you haven't played it already. Very similar to Sam and Max in some respects, apart from the fact that you are controlling three characters at a time which make for a whole new level of weird.

The Fate of Atlantis

I can highly recommend this one. The iMuse system is used to absolute perfection in this one. The soundtrack is superb. It is forever engraved into my cortex.

Reply 12619 of 23624, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
gca wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Just finished Sam and Max. The game puzzles really makes no fuc*$#*ing sense at all. But it's still hilarious as it was 20 years ago.

Now I will try Atlantis next day.

I'd recommend Day of the Tentacle if you haven't played it already. Very similar to Sam and Max in some respects, apart from the fact that you are controlling three characters at a time which make for a whole new level of weird.

The Fate of Atlantis

I can highly recommend this one. The iMuse system is used to absolute perfection in this one. The soundtrack is superb. It is forever engraved into my cortex.

If you ever can get it running right. iMuse games are always problematic on my late DOS rigs (Pentium 100+s, S3 Video Cards, 32-64MB of RAM, Late SB16's)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c