VOGONS

Reply 14720 of 27530, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed King's Quest I, II and III on my retro pc. Ahhh and yesterday I installed Dark Forces and X-Wing. Such a pleasure to play those games in DOS mode (Win98SE).

This is my pc cave too! hehehe!

Attachments

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 14722 of 27530, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No pix yet, but hooked my "new" Tandy 1000hx to my 1084S monitor to see if both worked... and they do!
Then played the only game I have available atm that the machine can play... Planet X3
which it played perfectly.

The 1084S had some video issues which I think will "burn in"; I've examined the insides and nothing's wrong in there that I can see... no bad caps etc.
But it first fired up with a scrambly screen, then when I fired up the 1000hx it settled right down.
Then while playing X3, the screen went blank. I checked the connections and the various mode settings on the monitor... even rebooted... restarted the monitor again and it worked just fine.
The monitor slipped while I was checking out why it went blank, so it had a bit of a bang on the desk... but it was after that that it started working okay.

Bit disappointed that Planet X3 only worked with 160 x 200 Tandy mode, because I thought there was also a 320 x 200 Tandy mode; but maybe that's not available because I only have 256k of ram atm. (soon to be changed, I hope!)

I'll get some pictures when my weekend gets here and I can play with it some more.

Reply 14723 of 27530, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hamby wrote on 2020-04-06, 21:33:

Bit disappointed that Planet X3 only worked with 160 x 200 Tandy mode, because I thought there was also a 320 x 200 Tandy mode; but maybe that's not available because I only have 256k of ram atm. (soon to be changed, I hope!)

There's no 320 x 200 Tandy mode. That's because for Tandy, the same assets are used as for Composite CGA. Otherwise, it would not have fitted onto one floppy disk.

Reply 14724 of 27530, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played a bit with the original Wolf3D source code, and managed to create a DOS binary with added "mouselook" and "always run" options. The mouselook option all it does is disable the y-axis of the mouse and make the left-right keys to strafe instead of turning. Tomorrow I think I'll play a bit more to make a Spear of Destiny binary with these features. If anybody is interested in the hack, I can share the patches or the binary. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

Reply 14725 of 27530, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote on 2020-04-06, 21:33:
No pix yet, but hooked my "new" Tandy 1000hx to my 1084S monitor to see if both worked... and they do! Then played the only game […]
Show full quote

No pix yet, but hooked my "new" Tandy 1000hx to my 1084S monitor to see if both worked... and they do!
Then played the only game I have available atm that the machine can play... Planet X3
which it played perfectly.

The 1084S had some video issues which I think will "burn in"; I've examined the insides and nothing's wrong in there that I can see... no bad caps etc.
But it first fired up with a scrambly screen, then when I fired up the 1000hx it settled right down.
Then while playing X3, the screen went blank. I checked the connections and the various mode settings on the monitor... even rebooted... restarted the monitor again and it worked just fine.
The monitor slipped while I was checking out why it went blank, so it had a bit of a bang on the desk... but it was after that that it started working okay.

I'll get some pictures when my weekend gets here and I can play with it some more.

Actually, that could sound like dried out caps, or maybe bad solder joints ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 14726 of 27530, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-07, 03:11:

Played a bit with the original Wolf3D source code, and managed to create a DOS binary with added "mouselook" and "always run" options. The mouselook option all it does is disable the y-axis of the mouse and make the left-right keys to strafe instead of turning. Tomorrow I think I'll play a bit more to make a Spear of Destiny binary with these features. If anybody is interested in the hack, I can share the patches or the binary. Screenshot attached.

Are there patched Doom 1&2 executables with the same kind of mouse options? The Y axies movement really makes playing Doom with a mouse problematic. I know there is a util called NOVERT but I found it to be very unreliable in many cases..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14728 of 27530, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-04-07, 06:11:

Are there patched Doom 1&2 executables with the same kind of mouse options? The Y axies movement really makes playing Doom with a mouse problematic. I know there is a util called NOVERT but I found it to be very unreliable in many cases..

AFAIK there are no DOS binaries for doom with disabled y-axis however there is a patched version of novert which supposedly fixes some issues.

Reply 14729 of 27530, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-07, 06:33:

I find novert to be fine.

I find it to work fine as well. For a while. Until it doesn't..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14730 of 27530, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a new Games console a couple of days back and finally got around to testing it out today.

A Prinztronic Micro 5500 -

YvZqY9Ih.jpg

The power supply was DOA, but luckily with a bit of chopping & cable splicing I was able to use a spare power supply to test it out and it works absolutely fine! Just needs a fair bit of deep cleaning.

Came with 2 cartridges - Superstar 5001 (Pong-style games & target games) & 1007 Super Wipeout (Pong meets Breakout). I've also ordered the "1002 Grand Prix" cartridge for a simple racing game.

This console has absolutely no issues connecting to modern TVs and displays perfect colour.

Interestingly, even though all these PC-50X family consoles use practically the same hardware, there seems to be at least 3 alternative cartridge form factors in use. My Grandstand which doesn't work on modern TVs has 18-pin Cartridges, whilst this Prinztronic uses 16-pin cartridges. I've also seen 21-pin cartridges. A damn shame that there's very little documentation or interest for these systems as I'm sure a simple adapter could probably be created to fit the various different formats.

Reply 14731 of 27530, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally finished the Gotek slimline drive project for the oldschool thinkpad (had to hack a Gotek SFR1M44-DU26 with the 26 pin FFC26 ribbon cable to replace the TEAC FD05 inside).
There were some discrepancies between the standard 34 pin and the 26 pin version (FFC26) that had to be reconciled.

SFRC2DA-Annotated.png
Filename
SFRC2DA-Annotated.png
File size
604.71 KiB
Views
File comment
26 Pin Gotek pinouts
File license
Public domain

Took a while, but it's finally done complete with an LCD screen (I'll likely need to add something on it to fix the faint display output)

Yosoko Goteki.jpg
Filename
Yosoko Goteki.jpg
File size
754.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Gotek done
File license
Public domain

How faint? It's pretty faint.

Faint LCD.jpg
Filename
Faint LCD.jpg
File size
105.37 KiB
Views
File comment
LCD needs work
File license
Public domain

What's it for?

I call it "project warp" - trying to get Ono-Sendai (my 166MHz Thinkpad 560E) to do OS/2 Warp 3 or 4. Warp 3...didn't work well so far.

Warp 4.jpg
Filename
Warp 4.jpg
File size
588.36 KiB
Views
File comment
Warp 4
File license
Public domain

That one is still in progress - the OS/2 Warp 4 diskset is 111 disks in total, and even with a Gotek it's still rather time consuming.

Also had to troubleshoot the power plane on my t5720 thin client...for some reason the PCI slot will not work with my nVidia GF6200 nor my AOpen YMF744 Cobra (as in, the machine fails to power up with a card inside), but seems to work fine with an Intel Pro/100 and a Promise TX4 based PATA controller. I suspect I'll need to replace at least one bulged capacitor.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2020-12-18, 06:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14732 of 27530, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed Kermit for MS-DOS 3.14 and Telemate 4.21 ($hareware) on my Packard Bell 486 so that I can run the terminal portion so that I can configure my Cisco Catalyst 2950T network switch and they both work (Telemate is shareware and I cannot find a registered version anywhere, hence the 30-day trial only).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14733 of 27530, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-04-08, 04:17:
Took a while, but it's finally done complete with an LCD screen (I'll likely need to add something on it to fix the faint displa […]
Show full quote

Took a while, but it's finally done complete with an LCD screen (I'll likely need to add something on it to fix the faint display output)

Yosoko Goteki.jpg

Faint LCD.jpg

Seems like you need to adjust voltage on the V0 pin of the LCD. It needs to be about 4-4.5V below Vdd (which I assume is 5V). Use a small trimmer resistor (5-10kOhm), connect two ends to ground and 5V respectively and connect wiper to the V0 pin. Adjust until you have clear image.

Alternatively do this:

AD485C7A-29F8-468B-A403-1631C2A3D481.jpeg
Filename
File size
296.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 14734 of 27530, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-04-08, 08:18:
Seems like you need to adjust voltage on the V0 pin of the LCD. It needs to be about 4-4.5V below Vdd (which I assume is 5V). Us […]
Show full quote
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-04-08, 04:17:
Took a while, but it's finally done complete with an LCD screen (I'll likely need to add something on it to fix the faint displa […]
Show full quote

Yosoko Goteki.jpg

Faint LCD.jpg

Seems like you need to adjust voltage on the V0 pin of the LCD. It needs to be about 4-4.5V below Vdd (which I assume is 5V). Use a small trimmer resistor (5-10kOhm), connect two ends to ground and 5V respectively and connect wiper to the V0 pin. Adjust until you have clear image.

Alternatively do this:

Well - it's more of a PEBKAC error. I opened it up and looked at the LCD module specs....and I realized that I made a mistake. The screen is a 5v unit, and I plugged it into the 3.3v power lead on the display connector (the 7 segment display that came with the normal 34 pin Gotek model uses only 3.3v...frankly, that's insufficient). Once I swapped it to the 5v lead (in the back) it's working normally.

Screen on 5v.jpg
Filename
Screen on 5v.jpg
File size
242.26 KiB
Views
File comment
Whoops
File license
Public domain

That being said, this does bring up 3 issues that I'll like to avoid/work around:

a) The 5v pin is all the way in the back, and it's barely clearing the ThinkPad floppy enclosure as is. Having it plug permanently to the 5v will mean all sorts of issues (the power lead will not clear the chassis)
b) The 16x2 LCD module is kinda big for the job (it really should be much smaller)
c) I'll need to get a longer lead to power it off 5v

I'll most likely swap the LCD unit out for a 3.3v OLED unit (more display capacity and can fit on/inside the case).

Reply 14735 of 27530, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I am very interested in this.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14736 of 27530, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still trying to improvise storage methods. The PO must love me about now (honestly I use your boxes for shipping too!).

download/file.php?mode=view&id=80265

I know I will finally get everything in its place and then some haul will show up. 😀 Kind of hope and kind of dread that.

Attachments

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 14737 of 27530, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Merovign wrote on 2020-04-08, 21:20:

Still trying to improvise storage methods. The PO must love me about now (honestly I use your boxes for shipping too!).

I know I will finally get everything in its place and then some haul will show up. 😀 Kind of hope and kind of dread that.

Looks Good !! Are you paying for those ? My local PO charges $1 each iirc for the small ones, double that for the large ones. I remember when they were free a few years ago but my area has all these new rules, the large grocery stores charge 5 cents for a paper bag and plastic ones are not allowed unless you bring them in your self.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14738 of 27530, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that's just plain being resourceful! 🤣

Reply 14739 of 27530, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-04-08, 22:03:

Looks Good !! Are you paying for those ? My local PO charges $1 each iirc for the small ones, double that for the large ones. I remember when they were free a few years ago but my area has all these new rules, the large grocery stores charge 5 cents for a paper bag and plastic ones are not allowed unless you bring them in your self.

That's probably my fault. 🙁

Edit: You can make your own boxes or box grid if you're creative with tape and have raw cardboard. Usually you can get free boxes from grocery stores or sometimes business parks, or if you know someone at a business that gets a lot of shipments.

Wine boxes might work to store cards diagonally.

I have some 12" wire cube shelving and I was thinking of using it for odd-size boards by zip-tying cut cardboard to form sub-shelves.

*Too* *many* *things*!