VOGONS

Reply 14900 of 27436, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played some BF1942 on the old XP machine. Yeah is not so vintage (2002-2004) but was very fun 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14901 of 27436, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was off work today, so I spent some quality time with my SAM9733 4MB GS based Monster MIDI rev. B daughterboard on my Audiotrix 3D/XG (I don't use the original DB60XG because if have an MU500 when in the mood for XG) . I listened to it and then to an SC-88 in both native and SC-55 modes to get a feel for similarity differences using the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack .. I mostly prefer the SC-88 native map . The Monster MIDI sounds OK on some tracks, but sounds bad on others .

Before that, I spend some time balancing gain on the multi-track recorder I use as a mixer (Akai DPS12) .

Using line out on both an AWE64 CT4500 and an Audiotrix 3D/XG (both at max wave and FM volume in windows and all inputs mutes) and balancing the pre-amp gain on the mixer based on OPL3/CQM playback (they play simultaneously, so they are easy to compare) , the AWE64 actually seems slightly less noisy to me when nothing is playing, even though I had to apply more gain to it than to the 3D/XG . I was expecting the opposite . Maybe I should try recording the silence on each and actually comparing noise floors ( would have to learn how to actually use the DPS12 to do that, a worthy endeavour ) .

Reply 14902 of 27436, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-23, 10:25:
I made this today: […]
Show full quote

I made this today:

Cr4Mqeg.jpg

you can find more details here

Haha while looking through my cover plates today, I have the exact hard disk cover (or at least I think) off an old Seagate of some sort, maybe it was a WD. The 3.5 inch floppy covers don't line up perfectly height wise, there's 2-3 mm gap. How did you fill it?

On another note, got my 286/8 working with a 1.44Mb floppy seen as a 720k. Good enough for me. That was a fun trip down fleeting memory lane!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 14903 of 27436, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the past couple of days I have been struggling to get a fresh copy of Win95 installed to my Compaq LTE 5100. Something seems to be wrong with the hard disk. It does pass all tests that I have thrown at it and the first half of the installation always goes pretty well. But after the first reboot (when the "Getting ready to run Windows 95 for the first time" shows up) things start getting weird with all sorts of errors that I suspect are related to corrupted system files. I made many attempts and my mileage varied, but I never really got it to boot into Windows.
To make sure that the issue is not related to some other hardware (like RAM), I used a IDE-USB adapter, hooked the drive up to my main PC and attached it to a VirtualBox VM as raw vmdk disk. As with the LTE, the first half of the installation went well in the VM, but after reboot the system starts acting funny and throwing errors.
I have now ordered a CF to 44pin IDE adapter to try a CF card instead, since all the other 2.5" IDE drives I have at hand are 20GB+ and therefore don't play well with the LTE that limits HDD size to 8GB in BIOS.

My retro computers

Reply 14904 of 27436, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Figured out the whole turbo button thing. Turns out, only Write-Thru CPUs support the turbo button, whereas Write-Back CPUs only support cache controlling programs to lower the speed and bring it back up. Going to order an Evergreen 586 and set it to WT mode once the person that's selling it on Amazon lowers the price.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14905 of 27436, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2020-04-24, 05:21:

Haha while looking through my cover plates today, I have the exact hard disk cover (or at least I think) off an old Seagate of some sort, maybe it was a WD. The 3.5 inch floppy covers don't line up perfectly height wise, there's 2-3 mm gap. How did you fill it?

I didn't 😁 , there is a wide hole below the hard drive. I was thinking about making a 3D print in order to fill that hole, but I will leave it like this for now.

Besides, the hard drive will get some cooling as well, it does get warm after some runtime.

Reply 14906 of 27436, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:26:

I didn't 😁 , there is a wide hole below the hard drive. I was thinking about making a 3D print in order to fill that hole, but I will leave it like this for now.

Besides, the hard drive will get some cooling as well, it does get warm after some runtime.

It looks good on the pictures, I don't think 3D printing is necessary, just use a trim part from a window, like the outer gasket of a car (I'm specifically thinking Matiz, I know there are a LOT of them in Romania 😉 ). It looks pretty good though! Are there pictures of the inside

*Edit a wiper blade would be ideal, make kind of a flap too so some air can circulate.

Reply 14907 of 27436, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finished up my Amiga600 build, by installing a fan in the case, to suck out that extra heat. Not silent, however not something I can not live with. Used cable strips to keep the fan in place, instead of using glue and other nasty things. The power comes from a homemade cable, that provides power to both the fan and the floppy drive.

CaseFan-01.jpg
Filename
CaseFan-01.jpg
File size
163.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CaseFan-02.jpg
Filename
CaseFan-02.jpg
File size
143.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Love this Amiga600. It is a wonderfull little beast now.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14908 of 27436, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to find another fan made by OEM brands that has much lower current, this will be much quieter. Your fan is generic.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NIDEC-U40X12MLZ7-53-1 … PwAAOSwSmJdJLv4

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELTA-EFB0412MA-4CM-4 … wIAAOSw1EZdhh09

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 14909 of 27436, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2020-04-24, 13:26:

It looks good on the pictures, I don't think 3D printing is necessary, just use a trim part from a window, like the outer gasket of a car (I'm specifically thinking Matiz, I know there are a LOT of them in Romania 😉 ).

There are actually a whole LOT more VW/Audi parts around compared to Matiz. Eastern europeans love german cars.

Jed118 wrote on 2020-04-24, 13:26:

Are there pictures of the inside

I do have some other photos down below.

Click me!

YLTd2S6.jpg

bAzFDMj.jpg

a45BeXN.jpg

Reply 14910 of 27436, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-04-24, 14:54:
Try to find another fan made by OEM brands that has much lower current, this will be much quieter. Your fan is generic. […]
Show full quote

Try to find another fan made by OEM brands that has much lower current, this will be much quieter. Your fan is generic.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NIDEC-U40X12MLZ7-53-1 … PwAAOSwSmJdJLv4

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELTA-EFB0412MA-4CM-4 … wIAAOSw1EZdhh09

Cheers,

Naaa.... I am good. I won't hear the noise, once I play a game or watch a demo.
Thanks anyway. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14911 of 27436, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent most time today setting up my recently bought Xbox 360 from scratch. Since it has a RGH 1.2 but no internal memory, I first added an internal 8 GB Memory Unit with XeXMenu installed, so I can start xex files and have a file manager even with no hard disk attached. After that was done, I added a freshly formatted 500 GB hard disk - that should be sufficient to install "some" games. 😉

Next is installing Dash Launch, Aurora, and Freestyle 3.

Reply 14912 of 27436, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The following haiku describes how I'll be wasting the entire night:

Popcorn and coffee
flow freely. Time for a Freaks
and Geeks marathon.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 14913 of 27436, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-24, 14:56:

I do have some other photos down below.

That's a wonderful design, I especially like how huge the SFX power supply looks in that case layout. What are you doing for a lid?

Reply 14915 of 27436, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-24, 14:56:

There are actually a whole LOT more VW/Audi parts around compared to Matiz. Eastern europeans love german cars.

Wow that's tightly packed. Too bad wood is not a good heat dissipator 😉 What are you using for the cover?

I went to Romania almost a year ago, I saw many more Matizes than in Poland, so I guess I just kept an eye out for them subconsciously. There were many in Constanta, which was a pretty awesome place as well. It was my son's first dip in an ocean 😀

Reply 14916 of 27436, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a rather melancholy day. My Weller
Digital soldering station arrived (performs great), but then my 10 year old (and rather poorly made) Radio Shack pushbutton solder sucker broke. Was supposed to desolder a blown cap on my t5720 board , and replace it with a new cap.

Not sure if I really want to buy a better sucker (Engineer SS02, 30USD) or go buy a Hakko FR301 (almost 10x that). The issue is that regardless of how much solder and braid I use, the damn RoHS solder (which is close to the hole on the board and not that easy to get to) doesn't seem to get picked up, and I don't want to throw a massive amount of heat (400 C) just to brute force my way through. I think the bottom of the electrolytic capacitor broke (thought I heard a hiss) with me trying to wiggle it free (even though it already bulged/vented at the top).

Ordered a new Geforce 6200 card to replace the one that half-failed in the t5720 (not sure if the busted cap on the t5720 killed the Geforce or if it's the other way around). Also looking into soldering the missing caps onto the PCI riser so the YMF744 will work...might need some small caps though.

Reply 14917 of 27436, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have been doing more work on my Macintosh Quadra 700.
Last time I did change the power supply, the hard-disk, installed a led connector on the disk, then reinstall MacOS 7.1 using an old rusty floppy drive because the one in the Quadra was not working.

01.jpeg
Filename
01.jpeg
File size
93.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But I could not let this Quadra without a working floppy disk drive, and then I did repair it

Here is the floppy disk drive:

02.jpeg
Filename
02.jpeg
File size
96.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The drive would not let me insert floppy disk in so I started to disassemble it because there was an obvious mechanical problem:

03.jpeg
Filename
03.jpeg
File size
83.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Once the top part was removed, I could confirm something was wrong in this because the disk could not be inserted:

04.jpeg
Filename
04.jpeg
File size
80.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And I finally found it was not working due to old grease dry which made the system block the retention mechanism.
After a big cleanup, I could insert floppy disks:

05.jpeg
Filename
05.jpeg
File size
87.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 14918 of 27436, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then I did disassemble the bottom part too to do the same cleaning and add new grease:

06.jpeg
Filename
06.jpeg
File size
94.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Then I did cleanup the heads with Acetone and Isopropyl alcohol. But I also took a look à the eject motor stuck in a bad position:

07.jpeg
Filename
07.jpeg
File size
96.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

No missing tooth on gears.

So I assembled the drive back and made a test, and it did read the floppy disk on the first attempt:

08.jpeg
Filename
08.jpeg
File size
97.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But the drive would not eject the floppy disk when asked 🙁

So I took the drive out once again and took a look at the eject mechanism again and found the contact was not working:

09.jpeg
Filename
09.jpeg
File size
80.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I spent quite a lot of time fixing this but when I reassembled the floppy disk drive, if would not work better, if was reading fine but not ejecting.
In fact, the motor had no reaction at all. Then I did cleanup the eject mechanism of another very rusty drive to swap them out.

Finally I had a working drive ejecting floppy disk properly when I throw them in the trashcan:

10.jpeg
Filename
10.jpeg
File size
61.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And this last fix granted me with a fully working Quadra 700 (except the missing buttons).
Full video fully English subtitled can be found here: https://youtu.be/4WDX6auE0ZA

Rodrik

Reply 14919 of 27436, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-04-25, 06:40:

IThe issue is that regardless of how much solder and braid I use, the damn RoHS solder (which is close to the hole on the board and not that easy to get to) doesn't seem to get picked up, and I don't want to throw a massive amount of heat (400 C) just to brute force my way through. I think the bottom of the electrolytic capacitor broke (thought I heard a hiss) with me trying to wiggle it free (even though it already bulged/vented at the top).

I've never had much success using braid or suckers on holes connected to a power plane. What I've found works is making a big blob of molten solder on top of the hole, and then (carefully) pushing/wiggling a grey syringe needle (16 G) through. Then once the needle is through leave it there, if needed clean up the other side (there might be spurs of solder around the needle), and then once the solder has solidified wiggle the needle out.

As they're made of inox steel the solder won't stick to them.

As always use Rossmann quantities of flux.