VOGONS

Reply 16260 of 27457, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not been very active with Vintage computers up until a few days ago because our lunatic neighbor lady finally moved away....so I've been spending over a few months dealing with that and chasing rental houses which amidst COVID-19 has been a royal pain in the rear....looks like the urgency to move is no longer here (don't ask why....that lady was a nightmare).

Since her leaving....I've got a NEC Versa M75 on the way with some weirdo parallel port thing called a Commpac Words+ System 2000. It looks like it has the typical Versa issue of cracking plastic (easily disguised by JB Weld and prevented with a healthy cleaning and dose of STP Axle grease to the hinge). The whole point of me picking it up though is I've been dabbling in Official Hamster Republic RPG Creation Engine and wanting to use it for MIDI. It also means I get another 220MB HDD.....might be fun to put OS/2 2.1 with Win OS/2 and Multimedia Extensions on after I backup all the stuff.

I've almost completely reverse engineered the NEC Versa OP-570-4401 and OP-570-4001 NiMH 3800mah battery packs. I've gotten two of them to charge, though one is bulding now so I'm stopping use until I get some new replacement "A" 1.2v NiMH cells to re-populate. I've blown up 3 cells thus far.

The basic design...as best as I can describe without ripping one apart....is this....

4 Contacts (Left to Right, label side up): - back cells, - front cells, charge sense, + (both packs)

The pack consists of 12 "A" NiMH cells at 1.2v each, and they are packed into 6 "sticks" (turquoise cardboard casings with rubber short protectors on the + end)

The electrical flow goes - terminal, to negative of the first 2 cells, then the postive for the first two cells goes through a Thermal cutoff set for 90 degrees, into the next 2 cells negative terminal, which then exits the positive terminals into a Thermostat for I thikn 100 degrees (Isuzu branded), then into the last pair of cells, which exits to the positive terminal on the battery that powers the laptop computer - there are 2 sets like this sharing a common positive. (remember, electricity flows from negative to positive).

The original pack for the 40EC somewhat works, I find if I turn the brightness down I get about 5 minutes of battery life out of it. However, the other pack I think I messed something up on and probably will need to replace the power board (again) in the 40 EC because the working battery is beign errant now and saying it's full when it's not when the laptop is powered on. Luckily I can find one.

The one component I'm still trying to figure out is the doodad in the picture that measures 10K ohms, at first I thought it was a resistor, but I think that MIGHT have been what killed the other pack.....

The other pack had that part burned up in it, like burned up so much it no longer exists, so the battery would not address when attached. So I crossed my fingers, soldered in a 10K ohm resistor, and it seemed to do the trick. Under both batteries I got about 10 minutes of battery life with the contrast fully down. Seemed like I was on the right track.

However, the next monrning, both batteries had self-discharged from a full charge, and I found the one I fixed the night before after putting it in the laptop again....started making weird noises....so I took it out....it started fizzing, then I heard a loud "POP" while I was in the other room......then I heard it fizzing some more, escalating fast, then another loud "POP!!!" and the case split open...and STILL fizzing, so I threw a washcloth over it and grabbed it with BBQ tongs, and left it outside on the pavement all day while I was at work.

So I came home and replaced the two cells that had popped rather violently with the best ones from another pack. Well.....I started running and charging that battery pack again...still with the 10K ohm resistor. I found it WILL behave in the laptop properly as far as charging and showing proper status, but I also stopped using it immediatley because the non-exchanged cells started to expand toward the ends....and the last thing I want to do is damage more plastic on the Versa from another venting NiMH cell.

But yeah, if anyone knows what the circled component is I'd love to know. My other pack also got it's burned during this stuff (tried a full discharge and it fried it). I'm going to replace the power board beforehand. The reason I thought it was a resistor is because the part in the other pack seemes to be some hair-thin wire attached to an SMD component of some kind that measures at 10K ohms resistance. So either those cells in that battery are so old they are popping under load or charge, the resistor is the wrong part and they are getting over-charged, or both.

I'm not doing this with the M75 when it comes in though.....that one I think uses the "Smart Batteries" anyway. My plans for both batteries are to get all the right components, properly rebuild them with new cells, and then use them that way. Then when I'm done, I plan to see if I can come up with a newer, easy-replace battery version with no soldering involved that will be safe.

After the Versa stuff is all sorted out, I'm breaking out the Tandy 1000 AGain and working on my light pen some more. I just picked up a AMF Barcode Scanner that was mis-represented as a "light pen" and I rewired the end using a breadboard and a spade connected ATari 2600 controller cable to be properly powered by the Tandy's Light pen Port. I'm thinking I might even be able to hack this into a dual purpose Light Pen/Barcode Scanner combo unit. That'd be cool. But that's for another day.

Attachments

• What is this component.PNG
    Filename
    What is this component.PNG
    File size
    92.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    What is this thing (circled in blue and red). It measures 10K Ohms.
    File license
    Public domain

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 16261 of 27457, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed Mechwarrior2 Mercs on my 98 box.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 16262 of 27457, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed Windows 1.01 on my 8088 PC. Just for fun really, runs pretty well and quite usable with a CGA graphics card.

Also transferred a bunch more games over to the HDD. The 20MB MFM HDD size was fine when I only had 256K RAM, but I'm starting to struggle for disk space now with the full 640K meaning I can run much more stuff. 🤣

Reply 16263 of 27457, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a guess, but it is probably a thermal fuse. Given its location, size and such.

Cylinder or Radial type
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/circuit-p … ermal-fuses/146

Again just guessing here, someone else will probably chime in thats more certain.

creepingnet wrote on 2020-07-23, 04:19:
Not been very active with Vintage computers up until a few days ago because our lunatic neighbor lady finally moved away....so I […]
Show full quote

Not been very active with Vintage computers up until a few days ago because our lunatic neighbor lady finally moved away....so I've been spending over a few months dealing with that and chasing rental houses which amidst COVID-19 has been a royal pain in the rear....looks like the urgency to move is no longer here (don't ask why....that lady was a nightmare).

Since her leaving....I've got a NEC Versa M75 on the way with some weirdo parallel port thing called a Commpac Words+ System 2000. It looks like it has the typical Versa issue of cracking plastic (easily disguised by JB Weld and prevented with a healthy cleaning and dose of STP Axle grease to the hinge). The whole point of me picking it up though is I've been dabbling in Official Hamster Republic RPG Creation Engine and wanting to use it for MIDI. It also means I get another 220MB HDD.....might be fun to put OS/2 2.1 with Win OS/2 and Multimedia Extensions on after I backup all the stuff.

I've almost completely reverse engineered the NEC Versa OP-570-4401 and OP-570-4001 NiMH 3800mah battery packs. I've gotten two of them to charge, though one is bulding now so I'm stopping use until I get some new replacement "A" 1.2v NiMH cells to re-populate. I've blown up 3 cells thus far.

The basic design...as best as I can describe without ripping one apart....is this....

4 Contacts (Left to Right, label side up): - back cells, - front cells, charge sense, + (both packs)

The pack consists of 12 "A" NiMH cells at 1.2v each, and they are packed into 6 "sticks" (turquoise cardboard casings with rubber short protectors on the + end)

The electrical flow goes - terminal, to negative of the first 2 cells, then the postive for the first two cells goes through a Thermal cutoff set for 90 degrees, into the next 2 cells negative terminal, which then exits the positive terminals into a Thermostat for I thikn 100 degrees (Isuzu branded), then into the last pair of cells, which exits to the positive terminal on the battery that powers the laptop computer - there are 2 sets like this sharing a common positive. (remember, electricity flows from negative to positive).

The original pack for the 40EC somewhat works, I find if I turn the brightness down I get about 5 minutes of battery life out of it. However, the other pack I think I messed something up on and probably will need to replace the power board (again) in the 40 EC because the working battery is beign errant now and saying it's full when it's not when the laptop is powered on. Luckily I can find one.

The one component I'm still trying to figure out is the doodad in the picture that measures 10K ohms, at first I thought it was a resistor, but I think that MIGHT have been what killed the other pack.....

The other pack had that part burned up in it, like burned up so much it no longer exists, so the battery would not address when attached. So I crossed my fingers, soldered in a 10K ohm resistor, and it seemed to do the trick. Under both batteries I got about 10 minutes of battery life with the contrast fully down. Seemed like I was on the right track.

However, the next monrning, both batteries had self-discharged from a full charge, and I found the one I fixed the night before after putting it in the laptop again....started making weird noises....so I took it out....it started fizzing, then I heard a loud "POP" while I was in the other room......then I heard it fizzing some more, escalating fast, then another loud "POP!!!" and the case split open...and STILL fizzing, so I threw a washcloth over it and grabbed it with BBQ tongs, and left it outside on the pavement all day while I was at work.

So I came home and replaced the two cells that had popped rather violently with the best ones from another pack. Well.....I started running and charging that battery pack again...still with the 10K ohm resistor. I found it WILL behave in the laptop properly as far as charging and showing proper status, but I also stopped using it immediatley because the non-exchanged cells started to expand toward the ends....and the last thing I want to do is damage more plastic on the Versa from another venting NiMH cell.

But yeah, if anyone knows what the circled component is I'd love to know. My other pack also got it's burned during this stuff (tried a full discharge and it fried it). I'm going to replace the power board beforehand. The reason I thought it was a resistor is because the part in the other pack seemes to be some hair-thin wire attached to an SMD component of some kind that measures at 10K ohms resistance. So either those cells in that battery are so old they are popping under load or charge, the resistor is the wrong part and they are getting over-charged, or both.

I'm not doing this with the M75 when it comes in though.....that one I think uses the "Smart Batteries" anyway. My plans for both batteries are to get all the right components, properly rebuild them with new cells, and then use them that way. Then when I'm done, I plan to see if I can come up with a newer, easy-replace battery version with no soldering involved that will be safe.

After the Versa stuff is all sorted out, I'm breaking out the Tandy 1000 AGain and working on my light pen some more. I just picked up a AMF Barcode Scanner that was mis-represented as a "light pen" and I rewired the end using a breadboard and a spade connected ATari 2600 controller cable to be properly powered by the Tandy's Light pen Port. I'm thinking I might even be able to hack this into a dual purpose Light Pen/Barcode Scanner combo unit. That'd be cool. But that's for another day.

Reply 16265 of 27457, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-07-23, 17:29:

@creepingnet
@jamesp15

Its a 10k ohm thermal resistor/sensor.

Thanks....looks like I should order a few of those.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 16266 of 27457, by Arbuthnot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I fitted my replacement 486 board into the case and got it tested. Dell mounting holes are all in different places to IBM so I had to knock the standoffs out of the case and drill it to move them.

Reply 16267 of 27457, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Built a little humble quiet DOS pc in a modern mATX case.

440LX matx mobo
via c3 500mhz (passive cooling)
S3 Trio 64 agp
ESS audodrive with inbuilt Wavetable midi
Gotek floppy
IDE dvd drive
8gb CF hdd
Dos6. 22 w/- jemm386

One nice thing about modern PSUs is the ATX plug can be split to support both 20 and 24 pin boards. There was a long time when this wasn't the case. This PSU came with the case and is very quiet. Only other fan also came with the case and is the front 120mm fan.

Nice to have another DOS pc when I need a sound card with better sb pro support than the awe32 in my main dos PC. And the on board midi of this card isn't half bad either.

Attachments

Last edited by kolderman on 2020-07-23, 22:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16269 of 27457, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote on 2020-07-23, 22:17:

Those thermalmaster PSUs are trash on a stick.

Burn it with fire before it burns your PC with fire 😀

Well there is a non-zero chance I will swap it will a picoATX power module mounted behind the front fan...I do something similar in my other DOS PC which has a lot more stuff in it than this one 😁

Reply 16270 of 27457, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed my Amiga accelerator and WB 3.1.4. Still have to cut a trace and install a jumper on the A500 motherboard to enable 1MB chip RAM.

e2LrJMX.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 16271 of 27457, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-23, 22:15:

That's a very nice DOS build! And I can completely relate with wanting a quiet retro rig.

One question about that ESS card - does it have Windows Sound System compatibility? I know that ESS cards have a native 16-bit Audiodrive mode, but I'm asking about true WSS compatibility e.g. does it work with DOS games which specifically support WSS in setup.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 16272 of 27457, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-24, 12:27:

That's a very nice DOS build! And I can completely relate with wanting a quiet retro rig.

One question about that ESS card - does it have Windows Sound System compatibility? I know that ESS cards have a native 16-bit Audiodrive mode, but I'm asking about true WSS compatibility e.g. does it work with DOS games which specifically support WSS in setup.

I am not sure but I can try tomorrow. I think cards with WSS usually have a second chip like a Crystal or Analog Devices chip.

Reply 16273 of 27457, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-24, 13:08:

I am not sure but I can try tomorrow. I think cards with WSS usually have a second chip like a Crystal or Analog Devices chip.

Cheers!

Some games that can be used for WSS testing: Descent, Aladdin, Daggerfall, WarCraft 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 16274 of 27457, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Built a little humble quiet DOS pc in a modern mATX case. […]
Show full quote

440LX matx mobo
S3 Trio 64 agp
Gotek floppy
IDE dvd drive
8gb CF hdd
Dos6. 22 w/- jemm386

One nice thing about modern PSUs is the ATX plug can be split to support both 20 and 24 pin boards. There was a long time when this wasn't the case. This PSU came with the case and is very quiet. Only other fan also came with the case and is the front 120mm fan.

Nice to have another DOS pc when I need a sound card with better sb pro support than the awe32 in my main dos PC. And the on board midi of this card isn't half bad either.

Nice case! Is that a Coolermaster?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 16275 of 27457, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-07-24, 12:15:
Installed my Amiga accelerator and WB 3.1.4. Still have to cut a trace and install a jumper on the A500 motherboard to enable 1M […]
Show full quote

Installed my Amiga accelerator and WB 3.1.4. Still have to cut a trace and install a jumper on the A500 motherboard to enable 1MB chip RAM.

e2LrJMX.jpg

Rev 5 or 6a board? I have this PDF with some nice information on this.
(Attached to this post)

Attachments

• Filename
    Xform-A500.pdf
    File size
    733.69 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16276 of 27457, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:28:
Show full quote

440LX matx mobo
S3 Trio 64 agp
Gotek floppy
IDE dvd drive
8gb CF hdd
Dos6. 22 w/- jemm386

His nice new case is indeed Coolermaster but model don't know.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 16277 of 27457, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-24, 21:46:
buckeye wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:28:
Show full quote

440LX matx mobo
S3 Trio 64 agp
Gotek floppy
IDE dvd drive
8gb CF hdd
Dos6. 22 w/- jemm386

His nice new case is indeed Coolermaster but model don't know.

Cooler Master Elite 344 USB 3.0 Silver with 420w PSU

Reply 16278 of 27457, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-24, 14:02:
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-24, 13:08:

Cheers!

Some games that can be used for WSS testing: Descent, Aladdin, Daggerfall, WarCraft 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

It appears it does not. Which does not really surprise me as I have never heard of an Audiodrive that does. I happen to have a very similar Opti card with onboard midi that I believe does support WSS though.

Reply 16279 of 27457, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-25, 00:11:

It appears it does not. Which does not really surprise me as I have never heard of an Audiodrive that does. I happen to have a very similar Opti card with onboard midi that I believe does support WSS though.

Thanks for checking! I was wondering because I kept seeing WSS compatibility listed in the PDFs for various ESS cards, such as this one.

I'm guessing this refers to its Windows 3.1 driver or something, rather than the ability to run DOS games in WSS mode as OPTi and Crystal cards can do.