VOGONS

Reply 19700 of 27502, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing my midi thru box prototype pcb, for my 'midi module tower'.

Attachments

• DSCN0367.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN0367.JPG
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 19701 of 27502, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Spent some time with my DOS project, trying to find a packet DOS driver for the build in Realtek 8168, without any luck.

44.jpeg
Filename
44.jpeg
File size
127.58 KiB
Views
File license

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 19702 of 27502, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-08-14, 08:56:

Looks nice - what are the big indents in the PCB for since they don't match up with the box's screw posts?

This evening I've been taking a laptop's keyboard apart - on Thursday I got an NEC Versa S/33 laptop delivered and although it fired right up, the bios battery was dead and it was impossible to set any settings. External keyboard doesn't work for some reason and the laptop's Enter key wasn't working along with a bunch of other keys. So it couldn't save its BIOS settings or have the hard drive settings configured. It's got a coin cell fitted in place of the dead 3.6v lithium cell it had (not rechargeable afaik) and the electrolyte leak from the nimh bridge battery is all cleaned up.
Initially I thought I'd broken it after doing the cleanup, but it turned out that I should not have removed the weird looking TSOP chip from its oddly removable clip. That was actually the BIOS, and the plastics of the clip degraded to the point where it can't go back together, so now it's got a soldered BIOS eeprom instead of that clip socket.
Then the inverter shorted and nearly burned a hole through one of the fpc cables - thankfully that still works too.

IMG_11418.jpg
Filename
IMG_11418.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Since there are *no parts* for this little laptop from 1994 (?), I decided to go ahead with pulling apart the keyboard. I've never taken apart a laptop's membrane keyboard before. Tracing the bad key trace and checking with the multimeter, finally found one darkened / corroded trace that passed all of the bad keys and was breaking the link:

MembraneKeyboardrepair.jpg
Filename
MembraneKeyboardrepair.jpg
File size
282.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Repaired with some copper 'slug tape' and my 20 year old conductive paint:

IMG_11428.jpg
Filename
IMG_11428.jpg
File size
1011.74 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then heat staked back together:

IMG_11448.jpg
Filename
IMG_11448.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

and now the laptop can auto detect its hard drive, it booted straight up into Windows 3.1 😁

Last edited by Thermalwrong on 2021-08-14, 13:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19703 of 27502, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-08-14, 13:00:
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-08-14, 08:56:

Looks nice - what are the big indents in the PCB for since they don't match up with the box's screw posts?

They originated indeed as cutouts for the box screw post.
I shrunk the pcb, but kept these, now unnecessary, ornaments..
At least in this first revision 😀

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 19704 of 27502, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah that makes sense 😀

Just opened up the NEC laptop's battery, I wonder if this is how it came from the factory?

Attachments

Reply 19705 of 27502, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-08-14, 08:48:

Tested, cleaned and retrobrighted a box of old (1995 - 2001) beige cd drives / writers I got the other week. Not a bad haul in the end as there was only one failure out of 9 so I ended up with 5 ATAPI (4 drives + 1 writer) and 3 SCSI (2 drives + 1 writer). Funnily enough the failure is my 2nd of this exact model in recent times - a Creative (Goldstar OEM), and dead as a doornail just like the other.

bad cd.jpg

Looks good ! To bad is it dead 🙁 Seems some of the early IDE cdroms were not built as well as the scsi ones of same speed.

Spent last night digging for old docs and drivers for some early 1990's controller cards, had some success with a few of them.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19706 of 27502, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
16285992381872184089420295843210.jpg
Filename
16285992381872184089420295843210.jpg
File size
367.28 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-20210813-WA0016.jpeg
Filename
IMG-20210813-WA0016.jpeg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
16289691383533374820953957865975.jpg
Filename
16289691383533374820953957865975.jpg
File size
99.97 KiB
Views
File license

Before and after😉
The ikea pax series are good if you want to store your retro stuff....way better organized and more space.

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 19707 of 27502, by cosmicinsane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I booted up my Packard Bell 486DX2 system for the first time since I got it from eBay. It had a failed power supply, and a failed and leaking CMOS battery. Got those replaced, it booted to BIOS setup with no issue, I was able to configure all my drives and it booted right to Windows 3.1. No games on the hard drive but lots of old productivity software, Quickbooks, Quicken, some Corel database and graphics software.

Did a test retrobrite treatment on the mouse, it seemed to work out well.

Even the floppy drive still works! Didn’t think it would based on the amount of dust I cleaned out of it.

Now will work on upgrading to MS-DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 getting a network card in it.

My wife who’s generally uninterested in my computer and ham radio stuff was just as excited as I was to see Windows 3.1 again, checking out solitaire and MS Works.

Reply 19708 of 27502, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally decided to assemble the P II machine I'm planning for over a year now. I got a case recently which looked decent. It's supposed to be a Yeong Yang YY-5250. A little dirty, but nothing a shower can't help.

2H9mA6El.jpg 1C15Qmil.jpg

The case is spacious and the easy to deal with. The motherboard tray slides out through the back. The finish is a little rough, I've cut my middle finger during cleaning. But it seems the power button wire has been cut off. Whatever, I can use the reset button for the time being. The real problem is, that the 5.25" drives mounts with a proprietary drive mount which screws in from the front and I don't have it. Whatever, let's proceed without mounting the CD drive... And I can't find the Sound Blaster 16 I was planning on using for this. I must have misplaced it during moving.

At the end I decided this is not the right day for the job.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 19709 of 27502, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-08-14, 08:30:

I'm saving this.
Thanks for the advice!
It's impressive how it coats everything, everywhere.

Glad to help! While I'm at it, remember to take the paper towels out to the trash outside when done, don't leave them in your trash can. 😀

I have not had anything yet damaged by the bleach, but watch out for paper labels.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 19710 of 27502, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I mentioned, my janky 2-pin external PSU works, I had 3 of the POS systems running, now all 6. 4 Windows 10, one windows 7, and one Android 4.3.

Took a while to get out of the custom app on Android, but managed it using a USB keyboard, created a new user, but it's a pretty crippled version of Jelly Bean. Now I have to figure out how to access it from the console or dev app and try to get a couple of apps in there to unlock some features so I can rewrite the OS with a full version with on-screen navs, since there's only a power button. I did get on WiFi, however.

I wouldn't have got that far if the custom app password hadn't been "1234".

Now they will all be set aside as I continue the Wall Of Computing project and try to get more cases up, and more motherboards sorted on the shelf, and more sorted for removal, in one way or another.

No idea when, but There Will Be Giveaways. I have a lot of OEM sound cards and video cards, for example.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 19711 of 27502, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Luvly 20km ride over hill and down dale on one of my motorbicycles.

Life is great......

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19712 of 27502, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-08-14, 16:30:

ah that makes sense 😀

Just opened up the NEC laptop's battery, I wonder if this is how it came from the factory?

Wow that's one hell of a recell job there.

Reply 19713 of 27502, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woke up.

I think.......

Reply 19715 of 27502, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-15, 21:37:

Weekends are the best days for retro computer activity. 😀

It is Monday you silly fellow.....

Well nearly midday Monday.

Reply 19716 of 27502, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't just have one laptop that had a bad keyboard. I bought a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT recently to get hold of a Toshiba DeskStation V - both were horribly rusted and corroded, but both mostly work.

The dock likes powering off after a few minutes of use, I'm still wondering where to start diagnostics, could it be heat since the fan by the PSU doesn't appear to be doing anything, or maybe capacitors somewhere, either on the board or hte integrated power supply?
I've so far dismantled it, put it back together and removed the pins in the dock's lock so it can be put between regular and emergency eject mode without a key.

The Tecra 730CDT was so badly corroded that I had to fully dismantle it and carefully remove the electrolyte corrosion from the magnesium frame. It's been working but the keyboard's Up key and maybe some others weren't working. A replacement keyboard would cost £30 and I'm not interested in paying that, especially having fixed one keyboard, so I've worked to fix this one too.

These '90s laptops have nice big keyboard frames that use plastic stakes (sometimes screws) to hold in the membrane to the keyboard's backplate.
I pulled the keyboard apart, this time using the soldering iron at 200C on each of these pegs so that they could deform without breaking, for later use.
Took apart the keyboard and started following the traces on both sides but doing it just by eye is more work than it's worth. I taped it to the desk to get it flat then took a picture of both sides and drew a layer over the top with lines to visualise it. Nothing wrong with the bottom side:

keyboard-repair-underside.jpg
Filename
keyboard-repair-underside.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The topside is much more complex to follow - notice those little black traces connecting each pad, each one is about a 10k resistor. Following it, the discolouration was visible from my picture, one of the top traces at the upper edge of the keyboard has discoloured and the connection has gone from 20 ohms to 60k ohms:

keyboard-repair-topside.jpg
Filename
keyboard-repair-topside.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I tried using the conductive paint again, but it didn't do much good. I found a better way this time - the self adhesive copper tape is sticky on one side and conductive on the other. Stick the conductive tape over the part that needs replacing and a few mm longer, fold over the ends so the conductive side is touching the membrane trace at each end. That bridges the connection and provides a trace that's held in place, but maybe a fresh conductive ink pen would be better.

IMG_11589.jpg
Filename
IMG_11589.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then put Kapton / polyamide tape over the top which keeps it connected. Then I put some extra Kapton tape over the copper just in case it could short on anything.

IMG_11579.jpg
Filename
IMG_11579.jpg
File size
550.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Tested it one last time and the up key now works, no random key presses so it's all melted back together, again using the soldering iron to press on them but with a bigger round tip to squish it nicely:

IMG_11599.jpg
Filename
IMG_11599.jpg
File size
603.12 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Yay! now the Tecra 730CDT is back to 100% working. I've got quite a full set now - Tecra 730CDT, Tecra 740CDT and Tecra 750CDT 😁

Reply 19717 of 27502, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do you repair a keyboard when is the flex cable the one which got broken (in your case the green flex portion which goes to the mobo)? These get broken with age when the manufacturer didn't a good job accomodating them.

Reply 19718 of 27502, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't done significant repairs on those yet 😀 I have got a couple of keyboards working by cutting off maybe 1mm of the end of the connector where those were frayed or damaged beyond conducting well.

Beyond that, since it would need to be multiple traces it'd be hard to do by hand, I was thinking maybe a vinyl cutter could work. Or you could get a regular FPC cable if it's a standard width / pin count and bond that together with the broken keyboard cable end. That would be very tough if the cable zig-zags around though.

Reply 19719 of 27502, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-08-16, 00:03:

How do you repair a keyboard when is the flex cable the one which got broken (in your case the green flex portion which goes to the mobo)? These get broken with age when the manufacturer didn't a good job accomodating them.

So one way is to stick a bit of thin plastic to the backside as a splint, and if the contact side is covered by a laquer, scratch that off eitehr side of the break, and paint across with conducting paint, defogger repair paint or similar. You may need to mask one line at a time with tape if it's fiddly and wait until paint is very hard dry each line before taping over it. Then when you are done, tape over the top to protect.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.