VOGONS

Reply 1180 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Oh dear. I have an odd relationship with my GUS PnP...

Gosh, an X rated movie then? 😈

Looking forward to your OPLSAx review, I need answers!

🤣 For the Audician, waiting for a tiny wavetable board to arrive, as I want to test this feature as well. So I might do another card this week, thinking of the good old SB Pro 2. I've got a Full A4 page of projects I'd like to do. But time is my enemy 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1181 of 27549, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I'm looking forward to hearing about that little wavetable board.

As for me I'm still messing around with my Creative Goldfinch and seeing a) what non-Creative cards it works with (I think I need to start a separate thread about that) and b) what sound fonts are available that will fit into my 8MB RAM.

The one which comes with the Live! (8MBGMSFX.SF2) is the best so far, it seems very well balanced and well suited to the games I've tested it with (DOOM, Blood, Duke3D, etc).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1182 of 27549, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still working on the move and thinning the herd and such this past weekend.

- Put up some video game figurine stuff for sale
- I'm currently prepping my old XBOX to become a normal XBOX again, considering now I can run every PC in the room into my TV.
- I hooked up the 286 into the
- So far, the money is looking okay enough for me to spend some on the screen for the Compaq....wife's a little uneasy about it but good god, she begged me not to junk that thing when I talked about the possibility of me doing that
- I sold a good chunk of my Atari 2600 collection, and my NES collection, to half price books, got a nice fat wallet of cash now.
- Put some XT PC stuff on evil-bay, already have bids on the motherboards, I also found a 2nd XT Keyboard I'm putting up for bids

All in all, surprising how much retro activity is going on. I have not even taken down the Mac SE yet to turn it on and decide if I want to minimize the setup or keep all my cool mac stuff that I have with it (including a copy of Microsoft BASIC for MAC).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 1183 of 27549, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished up installing Windows 7 on my el-cheapo (AKA, free rejected trash) 478 p4. 3.0ghz Prescott, 4gb DDR 400, Geforce 6200 pci, 20gb SATA drive from an old xbox 360, Seagate 160gb ide drive and a 400gb ide Hitachi Deskstar with 10 reallocated sectors and over 40k power on hours.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1184 of 27549, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other day, after the installation of a network card 3Com EtherLink III ISA (to test network configuration in DOS/FreeDOS) my ASUS P2B-F decided to abandon me... a restart with beeps from internal speakers, then nothing more, only flashing IDE led. I tried to replace all components, restarting all the times... unfortunately, nothing. No swollen caps or visible flaws, perhaps a kick out of static electricity? I loved this motherboard...

P_20150511_190500.jpg

So I put another motherboard that I had in stock, to be coupled with other components of the same build I had: Pentium III 450 + 64mb PC100 + S3 3D/2X + Voodoo + 3Com EtherLink III and SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold - the 'new' mother is always a 440BX: Legend QDI P6I440BX BrillianX 1S:

Brillian_X_IS.jpg

While rummaging in stock, I found a great overclocker: a Celeron 300A, along with a graphics card Riva 128ZX AGP.

P_20150511_190123.jpg

Reply 1185 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finished my Pentium MMX rig. Current configuration is:

- Pentium MMX 233MHz with built in intel fan
- 533TX Intel Chipset Mainboard (that's the bios string at least - can't seem to identify the board manufacturer)
- 64MB EDO DRAM (4x16MB) - the mainboard has 2xSDRAM slots, but I tought I shoud use EDO since I have quite a lot of it (just wish I had some FPM ram as well)
- 3D Artist made S3 Virge DX 4MB PCI
- Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB Voodoo 2
- 4,3 GB Samsung HDD
- 48x Samsung CD-ROM
- 3,5" Samsung FDD
- Creative AWE64 CT4500
- SMC 10/100 LAN

IMG_20150512_215917.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150512_215917.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20150512_215819.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150512_215819.jpg
File size
2.51 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20150512_215844.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150512_215844.jpg
File size
2.92 MiB
Views
File license

I wanted to go for a period correct '95-'97 gaming machine, but I can't seem to find a Voodoo 1 card anywhere, so I'm using a V2. Also would have liked a more period- correct 24x CD-ROM, but all my older CD-ROM drives are acting up or completely defective... In any case, I was shocked by how fast Quake 2 runs on it, even at 800x600! If I had this PC in '97, I would have been a very happy kid 😁

Reply 1187 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd bet on that being the PC Speaker lead. It is indeed a nice rig.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1188 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I'd bet on that being the PC Speaker lead. It is indeed a nice rig.

Yup, it's a PC Speaker to Sound Card patch cable! It routs PC speaker input to the sound card - great for some older games witch have MIDI music but Speaker SFX (like Golden Axe and Volfield).

Thanks for the praise, I've spent the last 5 months carefully selecting parts for it. It's been trought 3 CPUs (166 ceramic non-MMX, 166 organic package MMX and finally the 233 MMX chip) 5 motherboards (two of witch ASUS intel chipset boards, but each had little annoying quirks witch made me reconsider) 3 cases (first one was an ATX tower with vertical mounted PSU) and several video cards / HDDs etc. This machine and my PIII V2 SLi rig are the only ones I managed to finalize so far.

Nahkri wrote:

Nice rig,reminds me of my own, Socket 7 build.

Gorgeous build, allmost the same specs and upgrade process! Great minds think alike 😜 . Any chances of trading/selling that Voodoo 1 since you upgraded to Voodoo 2 cards? I'd love to use it in one of my rigs - my ongoing 586 build comes to mind - even the current Pentium 233 since I originally planned to use a V1 with it and the V2 is a little bottlenecked.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-05-19, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1189 of 27549, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually i didn't upgrade the voodoo 1,it's still in the system,the voodoo 2,is used in a pentium 2 build Slot 1 Intel 440Bx Build paired with a nvidia tnt 2,maybe 1 day i'll get another voodoo2 for sli.

Reply 1190 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking for a Voodoo 1 for about 11 months now - it's the first think I kept a look out for. So far I only found (and bought) voodoo 2 cards. The closest I came to a V1 card is on OLX - found the ad the exact same day, 3 hours after the seller posted it - and guess what - it was already sold 🙁

Reply 1192 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, as a matter of fact I've been active on CG forum since 2005 - my username there is razzb3d. I have open threads there requesting to buy old hardware (voodoo cards, 486 mobos and ram, AT cases, etc) but so far I've only found one person who sold me a 486SX I posted pictures of in the "Bought these retro hardware today" topic. I also had a few dealing with Waver - he also collects old hardware and seems to have an extensive collection. He's a great guy.

It seems G1nX was selling a lot of stuff I'm looking for in that topic - unfortunately it seems like it hasn't been updated since august 2014... also back then I had another project (an old car I've been restoring) and didn't have money to spend on my hardware collection (as you can imagine an old car eats tons and tons of money, always bringing you over-budget). I would have bought the Banshee, one of the Voodoo 4 cards, the Savage 4 and the GF 2 Ti... I'll PM him and see if he still deals in old hardware...

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-05-19, 22:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1193 of 27549, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

as you can imagine an old car eats tons and tons of money, always bringing you over-budget

Old hardware can eat a lot of money too 😜,especially if u don't know when to stop buying new stuff.
Imo try the flea markets,i managed to find good stuff there,even a voodoo 4 4500 agp and i,m talking about a small town flea market,in the capital probably u should find a lot more stuff.
Prices are usually very low since the ppl selling the stuff have no idea what they selling,or at least to them it's not very valuable.

Reply 1194 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, I poked around in a folder full of random unknown executable files in an attempt to find some of my old crap... Umm... Yeah...
PHTO00107.png
That'll teach me to do that won't it?

I don't know how many people here know my past, but I think it is known I have worked in ICT and it is a given that there were people I did not get along with. This program affects Windows 9X systems... In fact, it is two programs.

The first program;
A simple program tests the root of C: for some .DXZ files which are a backup of AUTOEXEC and CONFIG, if they don't exist they are made as copies of the existing files before some lines are appended to those and an executable is copied. The program, named TETR1S, then calls a copy of a Tetris game for MS-DOS without alerting the user to what it has done. The program will not tamper with files if the DXZ files exist, DXZ relates to the alias I was using at that time.

The second program;
This whole thing was written for one guy only because he made my job hell, it was inspired by early MS-DOS malware. It is called from Autoexec when the system boots. Very primitive, like that game I am working on today... In fact, it is where I learned some of the ANSI stuff that game uses, but there isn't any fun to be had when the program is running. When it appears, it displays red flashing text stating "GAME OVER!" and explains in white that the moron should leave money beneath his keyboard, then blackmails him. The price doubles from ten to twenty when the code is not entered correctly. The program then renames WIN.COM (despite the message) if the code is incorrect again and display a screen which is blank aside from flashing red text stating "YOU BLEW IT!"... The code is 036755 for those that care, I don't remember to what this refers, it may be the companies phone number - but I have never seen one start with a zero as that would likely tell the hardware to dial outside of the city, for which purpose it is too short, so it probably isn't and I can't test because the company went bust years ago... Who knows what it refers to then, but it would have been something as I'm not good at random stuff, I like to have a solid reference point somewhere.

There are two other possible exits. One of them displays green writing saying "You rule! Thanks for the cash! I'll be in touch when I need more!" and cleans up the mess (though it does not remove the TETR1S program) allowing the system to start normally. The other bypasses the whole thing, the program rattles A: for a file called "TURNKEY.DXZ" which can be anything so long as it exists. This causes the program to run the cleanup and exit silently, it will remove TETR1S provided it is in C:\MYDOCU~1.

A few other points of interest are that the program contains text the user never sees, most interesting is a shopping list of what I planned to eat for lunch. The program is TIVOLI.COM but internally it refers to itself as "LUNCH AKA TIVOLI AKA (his name) IS A POO POO HEAD! I FILMED HIS SISTER BATHING THEN SENT HIM THE VIDEO WITH A LABEL TELLING HIM HOW TO COMMIT SEPPUKU!" which it pointlessly echoes out to the parallel port too.

Now you know what kind of network admin I used to be... Or do you?

A wussy one because I never installed this, I did show it to my superior though and he found it amusing at least... He wasn't the guy's biggest fan either. We settled for tampering with his internet privileges and moving word documents around remotely so as to annoy him without costing him anything.

Fun times. I wrote something similar to actually prevent other people starting my machine, it didn't mess with files and only stated "Enter Code:" and "YOU BLEW IT!" it reacted to TURNKEY.DXZ by starting the machine up, though really I ran XP on a different drive so I never really had to rely on this thing anyway, just had this one run 98 with the program to stop noobs breaking it when I wasn't there -- both programs can be killed with CTRL+BREAK and be defeated by safe mode, so they would not stop a tech savvy user.

Reply 1196 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much. Thwarted by my teenage self... Well, mildly inconvenienced. It gave me a laugh if nothing else. I've decided to try and figure out what stuff actually does before running it, which was a good decision because the next directory contains a utility my friend made which executes a debug script to clear the hard drive of partitions before attempting to set up the drive - this had a legitimate use, it was written for machines running NT which we had to move to Win98. FDISK could not work with the NTFS partitions on those drives and we had about 50 machines to fix so we reasoned that scripting as much as possible of the process was worthwhile.

Reply 1197 of 27549, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ehh... My Western Digital 1GB HDD died 😵
XXk_dND-zBM.jpg
Luckily it has only some test utilities and I can made another one test HDD (I have a bunch of similar drives 😀)

--wbcbz7

Reply 1199 of 27549, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had to get my mind off of a few things today, so why not build a retro PC? I've never owned a Pentium II system, as I went straight from a 486 to a Pentium IV. Even now I've never used one. So off I went to dig around for parts.

Pentium II's! On the left is an SLQ2C 300Mhz and on the right is an SL2KA 333Mhz. I ended up picking the SLQ2C as the other one had a ridiculously enormous heatsink and no fan.
TiuUPsKl.jpg

Next I found an PCI ATI card of sorts. I don't know too much about cards from this era. It boots up with a cool spinny ATI logo and says Mach 64. Also it's clearly an all in wonder. I probably won't use this card, it was just a cool curiosity.
vhK1KyZl.jpg

Here's another piece of hardware I've never used before, an AWE64. How are these as far as Windows gaming is concerned?
rxH7nUul.jpg

And the motherboard I found. It's an ASUS P2L97. It seems pretty alright to me, but what do I know? 440LX chipset.
IPp3HFll.jpg

The case I found is pretty neat too, I'll post more pictures after I get the thing going 😎