VOGONS

Reply 14200 of 27430, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LHN91 wrote on 2020-02-10, 13:59:

Well - over the weekend, not today, but....

Dug out and cleaned up my Compaq Deskpro EN450, gave it a scrubdown with a magic eraser to clean some marks up and powered it on, booted right up to what I was doing with it previously. Thinking of doing a fresh install, and not entirely sure which way to go with it yet.

It's a P3-450, 384MB of RAM, 10GB HDD (that I think is dying, I do have spares though), ESS 1869F onboard audio and an ATI Rage 128. This one uses the oddball short-segment AGP bracket that only fits certain cards, the one I got with it was dead and the Rage was the only thing AGP I had that fit. Makes a decent DOS machine with the ESSFM sounding pretty good as long as you aren't encountering speed or ATI related issues.

Cool system. I used to have a similar one myself, exact same case design but originally came with a Pentium II CPU (either 350MHz or 450MHz, I forget). I upgraded it to a Pentium III 600MHz shortly after getting it and managed to fit in a Voodoo 3 16MB AGP Graphics card. That thing became my secondary machine running Windows XP for years.

Wish I still had it, but unfortunately it's long gone. If I ever see one going cheap anywhere one day I'm definitely going to replace it.

Reply 14201 of 27430, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I repaired a Roland SC55 yesterday. Some of the buttons were messed up, so I repaired those. The tact switches behind them were still pretty unreliable so I saturated them with Deoxit and pressed them about 400 times with the handle of a screwdriver. Amazingly, it works great now! I got it for a good price as-is so I'm happy that I was able to get it fixed.

After that I did what any self respecting person would do... I played old PC game music and changed the instruments until it sounded ridiculous.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14202 of 27430, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was playing with my new TheC64-FullSize machine.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14203 of 27430, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that remarkable, but I want to say these cheap wire shelf units are really good for quickly reconfigured test setups. Somehow I have missed this for years. Fast, no tools, light-weight, sturdy, *and* the activity is quiet & without sawdust.

Attachments

Reply 14204 of 27430, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it strong enough?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14206 of 27430, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It suddenly occurred to me that I had not really spent any time at all fiddling with Mod players/trackers on either of the two retro PCs I have built that both has GUS cards in them. What a travesty.

This was not something I had delved into at all back in the day, so I was kinda approaching it fresh today/yesterday. I was looking specifically for DOS players, so I checked out FastTracker II, Scream Tracker 3, Impulse Tracker, Open Cubic Player, Xtc-Play and probably a couple others now that I've forgotten about. In the end, I decided I liked Xtc-Play the best, by a long shot. The others, like FastTracker and Scream Tracker, are quite cool but seem to be intended for composers I guess? They can obviously still play files, but there's a whole ton of editing and tweaking tools in these that are just not something I'm interested in using. Xtc-Play also has playlist support which is what I really wanted in a player. Open Cubic Player also has an interesting feature list, but it did not perform well on my 486 DX2 at all, so it immediately was dropped from consideration.

So, now as I'm looking for collections of modules to play, I'm quite overwhelmed! There's tons and tons out there! I just started going through the start of the top voted/downloaded lists on The Mod Archive for now.

Next will be to find a decent DOS MIDI player. Would be cool to also be able to put my Sound Canvas to use with more than just games. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 14208 of 27430, by Old PC Hunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played a bit of MSV1 codec video on my 286 using Video For Windows 1.0. I'll make a full post detailing the process and what we had to do to get this video running once I perfect the method for making source material. In the clip below, the video is being played on a 10 MHz 286 with 4 MB of RAM and a 6x read CD-ROM drive, running Win 3.1 + DOS 6.22.

Here's a sneak peek:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dqMDLM9sfo4zseuQA

(The video material was not made by me, it was made by @ryaxnb of the Retro Computer Discord. Thanks to @ryaxnb and @Dissapearing.Inc on the Retro Computer Discord for their help with this little experiment. If I knew their usernames on here, i'd include them in this post, but unfortunately I don't.)

Discord link for those who are curious:
https://discord.gg/nRUu4V2

Set up retro boxes:
DOS:286 10 MHZ/ET4000AX1MB/270 MB HDD/4 MB RAM/Adlib/80287 XL
W98:P2 450/Radeon 7000 64 MB/23 GB HDD/SB 16 clone/384 MB RAM
XP:ATHLON X2 6000+/2 GB RAM/Radeon X1900XTX/2x120 GB SSD/1x160 GB and 1x250 GB 7.2k HDD's/ECS A740 GM-M/SB X-Fi

Reply 14210 of 27430, by Old PC Hunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The file is about 4 MB I think, and the frame size is 156x120. It's locked at 9.9 FPS and the video is about 15 seconds long. The audio track is removed to save some space, as I only have an Adlib in that machine, so no 8 bit PCM audio.

Last edited by Old PC Hunter on 2020-02-11, 12:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Set up retro boxes:
XP:ATHLON X2 6000+/2 GB RAM/Radeon X1900XTX/2x120 GB SSD/1x160 GB and 1x250 GB 7.2k HDD's/ECS A740 GM-M/SB X-Fi

Reply 14211 of 27430, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-02-11, 05:45:

Curious, what size is the file, length and what is the video frame size.

I remember old video codecs being horribly inefficient.

Not wanting to hijack the subject, but could you suggest me some video codecs for w98?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14212 of 27430, by Old PC Hunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly sure what runs in 98 and what dosen't as I haven't gone into depth with video on that platform, but I know MP4 files run well on Pentium 2/3 systems running XP in my personal experience. MPEG-1 would be something to try, as it was the standard of around the time. You could also use the older formats of Intel Indeo, MSV1, or Cinepak if that's your thing.

Set up retro boxes:

Reply 14213 of 27430, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was playing around with one of my 486 motherboards today. It was in a case and I was running some dos benchmarks. There was bit of a strange situation. I didn't use the power switch that is part of the case, but I had AT power switch that was just dangling from the 4 wires that come from power supply that I used to turn the it on. I didn't see it as dangerous because there wasn't really any exposed wires. Suddenly for some reason part of the switch touches the metal case of the pc and there is a short circuit. Loud noise, sparks and bit of smoke too. There is also a burn mark and dent on the case where the switch touched it like I had just done some electrical welding on it.

First thought was of course that I must have fried something, but it just continued running benchmark like nothing had happened while this happened.
I was also lucky that I was not touching the case when this happened. 230V isn't fun probably.
I'll try not to be so lazy in the future and use the actual power switch of the case instead just attaching the wires to a switch that has been separated from another case. The reason why I was lazy because the power switch of the case is in a hard to reach place behind the hard drive cage that needs to be removed first.

not like this.jpg
Filename
not like this.jpg
File size
907.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: I assume one of the metal edges of the case went in the small cap that is between the connectors at the end of the wires and the switch. That is the only way I think this could have happened.

Reply 14214 of 27430, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally finished my PC parts collection gallery except for my PC build photos which I really need to get around to some day. That sure took a long time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14215 of 27430, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:07:
I was playing around with one of my 486 motherboards today. It was in a case and I was running some dos benchmarks. There was bi […]
Show full quote

I was playing around with one of my 486 motherboards today. It was in a case and I was running some dos benchmarks. There was bit of a strange situation. I didn't use the power switch that is part of the case, but I had AT power switch that was just dangling from the 4 wires that come from power supply that I used to turn the it on. I didn't see it as dangerous because there wasn't really any exposed wires. Suddenly for some reason part of the switch touches the metal case of the pc and there is a short circuit. Loud noise, sparks and bit of smoke too. There is also a burn mark and dent on the case where the switch touched it like I had just done some electrical welding on it.

First thought was of course that I must have fried something, but it just continued running benchmark like nothing had happened while this happened.
I was also lucky that I was not touching the case when this happened. 230V isn't fun probably.
I'll try not to be so lazy in the future and use the actual power switch of the case instead just attaching the wires to a switch that has been separated from another case. The reason why I was lazy because the power switch of the case is in a hard to reach place behind the hard drive cage that needs to be removed first.

not like this.jpg

Edit: I assume one of the metal edges of the case went in the small cap that is between the connectors at the end of the wires and the switch. That is the only way I think this could have happened.

people seriously need to stop doing this ^^

don't let your live wires dangle around in the case, attach that switch to where it belongs.

see also: Electric Shock by AT Power Switch - Bad Power Supply or Bad Wiring?

appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:25:

Finally finished my PC parts collection gallery except for my PC build photos which I really need to get around to some day. That sure took a long time.

nice :3
I still need to do this... I'm barely through my sound cards and I haven't even taken pictures yet.

Reply 14216 of 27430, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:36:

don't let your live wires dangle around in the case, attach that switch to where it belongs.

The case that the switch is from is long gone. It was too far rusted to be used. I just thought I could use the switch to test if any power supplies I come across still work. I know it shouldn't be used like this.
I think I learned my lesson knowing what could have happened if I had been touching the case when I let go of the switch and this happened.
No idea how the motherboard, psu and the other parts survived it though.

Reply 14217 of 27430, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:47:
The case that the switch is from is long gone. It was too far rusted to be used. I just thought I could use the switch to test i […]
Show full quote
imi wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:36:

The case that the switch is from is long gone. It was too far rusted to be used. I just thought I could use the switch to test if any power supplies I come across still work. I know it shouldn't be used like this.
I think I learned my lesson knowing what could have happened if I had been touching the case when I let go of the switch and this happened.
No idea how the motherboard, psu and the other parts survived it though.

the case was probably at least properly grounded, so the current took the shortest path to ground, which was through the case, and not any components.

Reply 14218 of 27430, by TheChexWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought the HP Thin 5720 PC and runned Chex Quest/Dooms(Also Quake 2, Half Life, Unreal 1-beta version too)!!20200208_154323728e71f9184e7d90.jpg20200208_154343d6d2010371f96bb0.jpg
+ Duke Nukem 3D as my first fan art ever!!!!
DukeNukemByNestel44380faaf6e77be4.jpg
https://youtu.be/IP2vWZNqW68

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamerisr … 66554300111314/

Last edited by TheChexWarrior on 2020-02-11, 18:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14219 of 27430, by TurnedToast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I am realizing I need a serial mouse for my DOS computer and then also realizing how annoying it would be to have multiple peripheral sets for multiple computers. Time for KVM research!

Windows 98 - Socket 370 - 1Ghz Pentium III (Coppermine) - Voodoo 3 3000 - Diamond Vortex2/Soundblaster Live!
DOS - Socket 7 - 233Mhz Pentium MMX