VOGONS

Reply 14440 of 27506, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know we don't really have an eBay thread anymore, but I just wanted to say: Is this the new way to rip people off on eBay?

Some PoS is listing items out of Russia for $1.00 seemingly with the price rolled into the shipping.

I'm assuming the purpose of this is to make it impossible to get your money back via returns?

I HATE everybody who supports the "Friends and Family" only trend that is going through the retro community right now, its just an excuse to rip some one off by misrepresenting your item, and to have no liability if you sell garbage.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 06:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14441 of 27506, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-03-08, 23:14:
I know we don't really have an eBay thread anymore, but I just wanted to say: Is this the new way to rip people off on eBay? […]
Show full quote

I know we don't really have an eBay thread anymore, but I just wanted to say: Is this the new way to rip people off on eBay?

Some PoS is listing items out of Russia for $1.00 seemingly with the price rolled into the shipping.

I'm assuming the purpose of this is to make it impossible to get your money back via returns?

I HATE everybody who supports the "Friends and Family" only trend that is going through the retro community right now, its just an excuse to rip some one off by misrepresenting your item, and to have no liability if you sell garbage.

No, the purpose is to pay less in fees.

If the item is not as described or doesn't arrive, the seller has to refund the full amount including shipping.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 06:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14442 of 27506, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW am thinking of getting rid of some old AT stuff like a few 16bit RLL controllers after doing some testing on them or at least make sure I have the docs. I have no use for 6 of them so is there any interest in WD based RLL controllers ? They all worked last time I tested all back 2001-2003 and have been stored properly. Just wondering if there is a market or maybe just donate them to members here. Just curious.
And while looking thru my boxes of junk found this: Whoopy !

Attachments

• IMG_0875s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0875s.jpg
    File size
    284.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14443 of 27506, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-03-08, 23:39:

No, the purpose is to pay less in fees.

If the item is not as described or doesn't arrive, the seller has to refund the full amount including shipping.

Shipping cost has been rolled into the fee for quite a while now. Maybe last 10 years.

Reply 14444 of 27506, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been messing around with my Athlon XP 2400+ / KT133A build, which I use for both 98SE and XP. Right now trying out different GPU and sound card combos.

I use Ghost 2003 to image the disk after installs, like this one for Catalyst 10.2 and a Radeon AIW X800 XT. Takes about 30 mins to burn the image, a little less to restore.

IMG_8727.jpg
Filename
IMG_8727.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 14445 of 27506, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took my Powerbook G3 "Pismo" out of storage, since I needed it to convert a Mac disk image. Guess what? It still works without any flaws. I think it was in storage since 4 or 5 years. During this time, half of my other old Powerbooks died or needed at least some repair.

Reply 14446 of 27506, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I configured a dosbox testbed to compile the original Wolf3D DOS source code to see if I can add "always-run" and "mouselook" (plus WASD control) to it. I already did that with the SDL port, but SDL does not work on DOS.

Reply 14447 of 27506, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did some more work, on my AT/XT to Amiga keyboard convertion. And before anyone asks, then yes, the AT keyboard was dead in advance.

What I did today, was to finish up the mounting on the base of the keyboard shell. This way, the heavy Amiga500 keyboard will not move and slide around inside it's new house.

Next, I need to finish up the top shell. Then I need to create a new data cable.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14448 of 27506, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-03-07, 17:38:
Jed118 wrote on 2020-03-07, 05:21:
Unpacked the 2nd to last package from Europe I will likely receive. In it, a beautiful Kompakt Serie III case, with (as always […]
Show full quote

Unpacked the 2nd to last package from Europe I will likely receive. In it, a beautiful Kompakt Serie III case, with (as always with these cases) anything but a 386 SX inside. Instead, a DX-40 386. The 7 segment was set to 40 as well, so I am not sure if VOBIS quality control just got lazy or wtf.

Again, the original hard disk came in one of those caddy cases. This is like the 3rd or 4th one I receive like this. Replaced with a CDROM.

I also added 4Mb of RAM for a total of 8, erased most of the German software that was on there, put in a soundcard, removed the mobo and took out the battery (almost no corrosion!!) and replaced it with an external cell. The hard disk was moved to the mounting point beside the power supply, I cleaned up the insides, loaded Windows 3.11 and put on the proper drivers for everything.

NcnBYIT.jpg

Wow, nice looking 486. Good job ! Ahh red wine, is it a cabernet' or pinot ?

Hungarian Bulls Blood 😉

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 14449 of 27506, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-03-08, 04:54:
The shiners can be converted to glow-er by replacing the empty space or directly to the LED (partially cut off to make room for) […]
Show full quote
Jed118 wrote on 2020-03-07, 07:07:
https://i.imgur.com/hT3J43d.jpg […]
Show full quote

hT3J43d.jpg

I gotta do something about that Turbo LED. I recall over a decade ago I redid my first wife's HVAC controls on her Tiburon. The answer was: Sand the LED down.

Fast forward to now - I'll use a grinder.

The shiners can be converted to glow-er by replacing the empty space or directly to the LED (partially cut off to make room for), with diffuser by using any white translucent material. Can be a off white translucent hot glue, translucent white epoxy etc.

Diffuser is what scatters the direct beam into light-glow that you can see. Sanding helps very little.

Or replace the water-clear LED with 5mm diffused LED of same color.

Cheers,

I have an LED holder and I found an amber and yellow LED - will try these out later, they will look more era-correct. Thanks!

Reply 14450 of 27506, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-03-08, 23:14:

So, everyone on the Computer Reset facebook page? 😜

Curiously, the video card costs the same to ship to Poland as it does to the USA.

Avoid.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 06:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14451 of 27506, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to dismantle this Toshiba Libretto 50CT / 70CT battery that I bought that didn't seem to work at all.

50CT---Battery-Repair.jpg
Filename
50CT---Battery-Repair.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2 of the cells were down around 3 volts, so they should be usable when charged up. Sadly one of the cells was down at 1.5 out of its 3.7 volts, so it's a dud.
It looks like it's now impossible to find lithium ion cells in the 17mm wide and 67mm tall (17670) format any more, so I'm thinking of trying a 14650 in its place; lower capacity but it should give a more usable battery 😀

Reply 14452 of 27506, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Who at Toshiba thought that a computer with no internal CD ROM or floppy drive, and no USB boot support was a good idea? To add insult to injury their SD Card formatting tool for making bootable SD cards doesn't work with my SD card adapter.

The only way I can realistically get an OS onto this mofo is to start the install on one PC, then swap the IDE drive into another. Fuck this dumb.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14453 of 27506, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-03-11, 01:39:

Who at Toshiba thought that a computer with no internal CD ROM or floppy drive, and no USB boot support was a good idea? To add insult to injury their SD Card formatting tool for making bootable SD cards doesn't work with my SD card adapter.

The only way I can realistically get an OS onto this mofo is to start the install on one PC, then swap the IDE drive into another. Fuck this dumb.

You could try setting up a remote install server in a VM and use that. Yeah I know its a major pain to do it that way but if needs must. Assuming that Toshiba has a built in NIC that is PXE compliant of course.

Reply 14454 of 27506, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-03-11, 01:39:

Which Tosh ? My sis-in-law has an older Asus slim lap that would not allow a USB cdrom to be bootable. Just curious....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14455 of 27506, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fired up a few non vintage PC's that I got from thrift stores during the week. One a Dell Vostro 200, the other a Dell Studio XPS 9100. Paid $30 for both including an original MS Sidewinder game Pad. All work just fine ! Never owned a i7 socket 1366 before so the 9100 was a bit interesting...
There just is no real vintage stuff in my area anymore 🙁

Reply 14456 of 27506, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-03-11, 02:26:

Which Tosh ? My sis-in-law has an older Asus slim lap that would not allow a USB cdrom to be bootable. Just curious....

I'm sure you guys know better, but just in case - some laptops don't allow USB boot when the current OS is hibernated. No helpful message is presented.

Reply 14457 of 27506, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Booting from USB was something that came quite late to the PC. I have many systems from the early 2000's that still can not boot from USB CD-ROM drives. Booting from USB floppy was introduced first, from other media much later. Probably because USB 1.x was way too slow for that and it took some years before USB 2.0 was widely addopted, so BIOS makers didn't care much.

Reply 14458 of 27506, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-03-01, 21:37:
Last weekend was extremely busy clearing the flat since I might be moving soon - but this weekend I had a chance to catch up on […]
Show full quote

Last weekend was extremely busy clearing the flat since I might be moving soon - but this weekend I had a chance to catch up on some of my projects.

I've got a whole bunch of Toshiba floppy drives, around half of which had bad drive belts. I bought some cheap TPU filament and printed some 65mm, 0.5mm thick, 0.8/1.4mm tall belts to replace them. All the belts are replaced and only one of the drives is bad! (heads)

Initially I was trying to get hold of *a* slimline toshiba floppy drive for my Toshiba Portege 3010CT , then ended up with 5 of them because of a job lot. It spirralled from there. I've found that the later belt driven drives are actually comparatively easy to repair - the drive's tray mechanism lifts out for easy belt replacement.

floppybelt-repair-station.jpg

Here are my thoughts on each drive:

• Citizen W1D thin floppy drive - very easy to work on, works nicely with 0.8mm tall belt
  • Matsushita EME 279TD - also qute easy to work on, works well with 0.8mm tall belt.
  • Matsushita EME 278TB - hellish to work on, didn't even need to replace the belt in the end but re-fitting the belt was horrible. The drive is essentially designed upside-down and then riveted together 🙁
  • Mitsumi D353F2 - comparatively easy to work on, needs a 1.4mm belt and 3d printed belts don't work because the belt guides aren't well designed. Got this one working by running the belt over IPA+Q-Tip
  • Teac FD05 - not a belt drive, it just works!

Got one of my 5 1/4" drives working - I think it's one of the last ones made? A Teac FD55GFR with datecodes suggesting it was made in 1995.

Reinstalled Windows 95 on my Dell XPi CD P150ST because it started refusing to boot from the 1.6GB hard drive, now it has a 4GB CF card, so much faster 😀

Hello,

I'm trying to contact you through PM about W1D belts.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 14459 of 27506, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Toshiba Portege M200 S838 is the spawn of satan. Here is how to reinstall Windows on one for whomever it might concern in the future:

You shall need:

* USB Flash Drive, formatted with Windows XP install media with RUFUS
* A 1.44MB IBM Formatted Floppy Disk
* A USB Floppy Drive (the more standard/generic the better)
* A 2nd PC
* A Program to write .img files to floppies (Google "Floppy Image 2.4" for a 14 day free trial of that program. There is also a freeware version out there that is really hard to find)

STEPS:

1.) Download PLOPs Boot Manager
2.) Extract the archive
3.) Use the imaging program to write the PLOPs .IMG file to a floppy disk
4.) Connect the floppy drive to the Portege
5.) Invoke the boot menu and select the Floppy Disk option (you might need to try a few times with different USB ports connecting the drive)
6.) Once it loads go to setup
7.) Set "Force USB 1.1" to "Mode 1"
8.) Unplug your floppy drive
9.) Plug in the USB drive to the same port the floppy drive was on
10.) Select USB, press enter
11.) Wait patientely for Windows XP Setup to load
12.) Install Windows XP as normal.