VOGONS

Reply 2062 of 27584, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a testbench setup. Using an Asus P5A, K6-II-500, 128mb Ram, TNT2-Pci, Voodoo1 and some sort of Pci soundcard.
Played some NFS3 on the V1. Was fun.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2063 of 27584, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam being busy with my last new build (`my fastest windows 98SE system`) Some components i already have..It would be an Athlon XP rig or a Pentium 4 one.
I would be happy if iam done with everything, this hobby become very expensive.. But the good news is. That i didnt find much usable hardware any more.
But i would be glad if i can save some money on my bank account. It would costs the most when you building the systems paralel.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2064 of 27584, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a while now my Pentium OverKill has smelled of burning when running... You know the smell, the one that causes palpitations, yeah, that one.

I opened it up expecting the worst but it seems that it is only the case fan at the front. I thought it smelled funny when I put it in, it still works but it does appear to be the source of the smell and nothing is visibly burnt. The only things near it are speakers which I know to be fine and the front panel stuff which all works. The cards in front of it are fine as is the motherboard and the machine has never once stopped working so I feel better now, I was seeing images in my mind of charred resistors and burned solder mask... I will keep an eye on it though, I can't replace the fan right now so I have no choice but to ignore the issue temporarily and hope the fan lasts until I can get around to replacing it. I guess I could disconnect it as the system is probably fine without it, the PSU fan actually pulls quite a lot of air on its own.

Also I dug out an old tape which has recordings of things I did with synths years ago. Some of it I do not have digital recordings of anymore but the quality sucks. A few interesting things are this one 2000s pop sounding track which runs way out of time, a weird ambient tune I made but with stuff missing and an (very) unfinished version of a really terrible song I wrote for a girl... I know what you're thinking and the answer is no, she told me to go away before hearing the finished song.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2065 of 27584, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Iam being busy with my last new build (`my fastest windows 98SE system`) Some components i already have..It would be an Athlon XP rig or a Pentium 4 one.
I would be happy if iam done with everything, this hobby become very expensive.. But the good news is. That i didnt find much usable hardware any more.
But i would be glad if i can save some money on my bank account. It would costs the most when you building the systems paralel.

10 years old, seem to be the sweetspot, when you want some hardware for free. Or at least at a REALLY low price.
I had my K8mm-V, a case, 512mb Ram, 80gig HDD and some dodgy CDRom drive thrown at me for free.
I was at least kind enough to offer a little cash for it. I don't mind paying at least a little bit.
So... I gave them what is the equivelant of 8 liters of milk in cash, and let them keep the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
They were both educated as, and working as teachers and pedagogue's.
So they were the kind of persons that do not know anything about computers. Look for people like them, when wanting 10
year old stuff thrown at you. They simply do not care about it, if it can not run the latest software at a good speed.

Reply 2066 of 27584, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2004 mode enabled...

vlcsnap-2015-10-04-10h42m09s365.png
Filename
vlcsnap-2015-10-04-10h42m09s365.png
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File comment
Editing a 4 minute video on a 486 SX
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Editing a video on the 486SX, just like I had to in 2004 though now I am doing it by choice.

Reply 2067 of 27584, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried the floppy version of MS Publisher 95 I bought, disk one read fine disk two not so much so I diddnt even try the rest.

But according to my practically minded approach to copyright I now own MS Publisher 95 (Im pretty sure I already did but I could not find the disc) so I quickly solved the issue by using magi©.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2068 of 27584, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

2004 mode enabled...

Editing a video on the 486SX, just like I had to in 2004 though now I am doing it by choice.

What software and capture card are you using?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2069 of 27584, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adobe Premiere Pro 4 (Can't find my Sonic Foundry VideoFactory disks), which would theoretically run on a 386... Might have to try that, but it was already painful on the 486.

I currently have no ISA capture card so I would have to convert footage from other machines or use the Showtime Plus in another system. I do have a camera which outputs uncompressed AVI that I can use though. Everything else is in Video 1 AVI.

I did think of getting an old capture card though, but I would probably put it in the Pentium OverKill.

You can have a look at the completed renders if you want but there isn't much of interest in them outside of what actually rendered them. Anyone interested should be able to grab them here; https://www.mediafire.com/?xiecqxecsd6ijjb

I know one of them uses a full song but I feel the quality is so low that nobody would really be able to do anything useful with it. In fact it will probably cause people to look the song up somewhere else and probably give the copyright owner a few cents from advertising revenue. Still, should the owner see this and not want it there I shall pull it down.

I was thinking I might do a YouTube video of me actually making a video on this machine and then show the output once it is done.

Reply 2070 of 27584, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
Adobe Premiere Pro 4 (Can't find my Sonic Foundry VideoFactory disks), which would theoretically run on a 386... Might have to t […]
Show full quote

Adobe Premiere Pro 4 (Can't find my Sonic Foundry VideoFactory disks), which would theoretically run on a 386... Might have to try that, but it was already painful on the 486.

I currently have no ISA capture card so I would have to convert footage from other machines or use the Showtime Plus in another system. I do have a camera which outputs uncompressed AVI that I can use though. Everything else is in Video 1 AVI.

I did think of getting an old capture card though, but I would probably put it in the Pentium OverKill.

You can have a look at the completed renders if you want but there isn't much of interest in them outside of what actually rendered them. Anyone interested should be able to grab them here; https://www.mediafire.com/?xiecqxecsd6ijjb

I know one of them uses a full song but I feel the quality is so low that nobody would really be able to do anything useful with it. In fact it will probably cause people to look the song up somewhere else and probably give the copyright owner a few cents from advertising revenue. Still, should the owner see this and not want it there I shall pull it down.

I was thinking I might do a YouTube video of me actually making a video on this machine and then show the output once it is done.

The video was just fantastic! Everything about it was 80's.

Reply 2071 of 27584, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality it was just a bunch of leftover shots from an old video and the song was what I happened to be listening to at the time so i just threw it at a converter so the Adobe Premiere would be able to read it. The video is only the length it is because I wanted to check audio sync didn't start drifting off too quickly. I did think it was fitting though, especially when it was rendering in 480p30.

Reply 2072 of 27584, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kinda retro, I transferred my sleeper PC to the server version of the same case line. Fuckin loving it so far. 🤣

s2000016_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9c6pdu.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2073 of 27584, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assembled a test-rig. Asus P5A, Asus TNT2-Pro, Asus SCSI Controller, AWE64-Gold and V1.
Hmmm... A lot of Asus parts. It's using a K6-2-500, 128mb Kingston Ram and a 9.4 Gb IBM SCSI.
If a V2-SLI is to be found in the future. Then it's a final Asus SS7 build and perhaps my last SS7
before my venture into 440BX stuff. As of now, it's resting as a test-setup on the desk.

Reply 2076 of 27584, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:
386SX wrote:

Still using the K6-233 with the Millennium PCI as main pc and still happy for its speed.

Need to know more 😀 OS, software, web browser? How much RAM?

I set it up as test pc and for some days it's really a nice config. K6 3.2v 233Mhz, MVP3 512Kbyte L2, 384MB (max) PC100@66, W98, Opera and light office usage.
The heatsink temp is really something, it was the last 3,2v K6 0,35u I think; I have the 2,2v 266Mhz version but it sounds "less vintage" than this. 😁
I am impressed by the K6 win performance and more by the Millennium 4MB PCI 2D speed and analog quality.

Last edited by 386SX on 2015-10-07, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2077 of 27584, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

I set it up as test pc and for some days it's really a nice config. K6 3.2v 233Mhz, MVP3 512Kbyte L2, 384MB (max) PC100@66, W98, Opera and light desktop usual usage.
The heatsink temp is really something, it was the last 3,2v K6 0,35u I think; I have the 2,2v 266Mhz version but it sounds "less vintage" than this. 😁
I am impressed by the K6 win performance and more by the Millennium 4MB PCI 2D speed and analog quality.

Oh well then... I'm building a pretty similar system at the moment, with less RAM though. I'm curious as to how it will perform.

Reply 2078 of 27584, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

Oh well then... I'm building a pretty similar system at the moment, with less RAM though. I'm curious as to how it will perform.

Well, I wanted to see how it performs compared to the P-120 and P-133 and the jump is (obviously) big. But talking about the video card the difference is bigger imho compared to early 95's solutions.

Reply 2079 of 27584, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday i replaced a bad power supply on my Vista directx 10.1 / windows xp dual boot machine.
Also installed windows vista 32.bit ultimate on it.. Seems running fine for the purpose. Slowly build this system up.
Also have to wait for a orderd 4GB DDR3 kit that will house in this build.
Looking for a sound card, and trying to find a better graphics card for it. And some sata cable stuff to improve some things inside the case.

~ At least it can do black and white~