Thank you! Silly copy paste error.

I updated it on the website.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 262 of 27594, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS 7.1 uses a bit more memory than MS-DOS 6.22. Not much you can do about it.

What you can do, but I found that this might confuse people who just want to get up and running ASAP, is use a modification of my boot menu in combination with batch files.

You will need to load the CD-ROM driver, but you can load the Mouse, MSCDEX, initialize the sound card through batch files on a per-need base.

Or different mouse drivers.

For example
CTMOUSE.BAT
LOGMOUSE.BAT
AWE64.BAT
SBP2.BAT

But really if you have a single PC I don't see this as being necessary. It helps me however because I can just pull out the AWE, put in the SBP2, type SBP2.BAT and I'm all set 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 263 of 27594, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcon 3.0 probably just needs more memory on account of all those buttons.

I don't plan on using my testbed system, or Win 98 system to do much in the way of DOS, so it's a single system set up.

Reply 264 of 27594, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the 325T in today. First order of business was cleaning out the dust and spider webs. I then installed a Trident ISA VGA card (the on board VGA has an opposite pin blocked so I do not want to bend yet another pin on my Sony CRT cables: they are embedded in the case), Sony CDU-33A CD-ROM and MIF-IPC-A replica. I then partitioned and formatted the HDD with MS DOS 6.22. I then copied files from another system to this system with a LapLink cable and FX. I also replaced the CR2032.

Last edited by PeterLI on 2014-10-15, 02:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 265 of 27594, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received a Asus CUV$X-D based dual Pentium 3 system that my neighbor built brand new in 2001. Specs as Received: 250 watt ALLIED psu (want to upgrade but it has a 6pin AT style power connector, any advise on replacing this?) Aopen "custom pc" case, Aopen Geforce 256 32mb mx, 1gb of pc1333 and Sequential serial number 1.0ghz coppermines.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 266 of 27594, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Received a Asus CUV$X-D based dual Pentium 3 system that my neighbor built brand new in 2001. Specs as Received: 250 watt ALLIED psu (want to upgrade but it has a 6pin AT style power connector, any advise on replacing this?) Aopen "custom pc" case, Aopen Geforce 256 32mb mx, 1gb of pc1333 and Sequential serial number 1.0ghz coppermines.

Nice find. 😀

On the PSU, what colors are the leads going into the 6-pin? I'm guessing it's not an AT connector, but an ATX Aux (http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxaux_pinout.shtml) instead. My FSP530-60GNA has one of these, but I haven't seen them on much newer PSUs than that. You may be able to find an adapter as well.

The other thing, depending on how much case room you have, and so on, is you could just use two PSUs since the ATX connector is still starting the PSU. So you could put a dual-PSU adapter in there and have a secondary PSU drive things like fans, disks, etc to take load off the 250W unit. Not sure how necessary any of this is though if the current PSU is in good working order.

Reply 267 of 27594, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yep! is is an Aux connector, I have a phony Taiwanese 300watt that also has this connector, and a 380watt Antec filled with blown F-U caps that have this connector as well. Ya, it matches that pinout on that diagram you listed. I have a fx 5950 ultra BEGGING to go into this system, but I dont think the 250 has enough juice 🙁 the idea is brilliant for a second PSU! I will take some measurements tomorrow and check if there is more room. One of those little Micro atx powersupplies that they put in old E-towers and Compaqs would do nicely

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 268 of 27594, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played Half Life on a PII 300, V2 SLI.
Damn, still looks great!

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 269 of 27594, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a few minutes ago I completed Gothic II:Night of the Raven. I'm actually pretty impressed. Took me a exactly month (I have other stuff to do). As a kid I remember how hard it was to play vanilla Gothic II, and this time it was exactly the difficulty I need, even though the expansion makes the game a deal harder. No quest related problems - who knew you have to actually listen to NPCs 😁. G2 is a great game, even though the engine is a resource hog and the models have so few polygons. G3 is meh compared to G2 😀

Reply 270 of 27594, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got around to setting up an IBM PS/1 486SX25 I got months ago. The FDD does not work but it has a SCSI CD-ROM and HDD. I modified MSDOS.SYS so that Windows 95 boots without GUI and logo. I also copied files with INTERLNK/SVR and a LapLink cable.

Reply 272 of 27594, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Just a few minutes ago I completed Gothic II:Night of the Raven. I'm actually pretty impressed. Took me a exactly month (I have other stuff to do). As a kid I remember how hard it was to play vanilla Gothic II, and this time it was exactly the difficulty I need, even though the expansion makes the game a deal harder. No quest related problems - who knew you have to actually listen to NPCs 😁. G2 is a great game, even though the engine is a resource hog and the models have so few polygons. G3 is meh compared to G2 😀

One of my faves, but I'm a G3 apologist. I thought it was slightly more fun than G2 on the grounds that it was such a massive open world. I love open worlds!

Don't you just want to go exploring?

gothic3exe0072505dq5.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 273 of 27594, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was planning on testing some P3s... this is what happened:
FZJ5w32l.jpg

Board is shot (was junk anyway, Elitegroup with VIA chipset)... I have no idea if the P3 933 Coppermine survived, I'm guessing no.

Grrrr....

Reply 274 of 27594, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

One of my faves, but I'm a G3 apologist. I thought it was slightly more fun than G2 on the grounds that it was such a massive open world. I love open worlds!

The world is awesome, but all these "features"... Useless 2h weapons, aweful physics, weird reputation system, where killing does not decrease rep... The music is very good, on the other hand. The bugs break the feeling of otherwise great and very atmospheric game, where instead of diving into the process you try to keep away from the bugs and save every two minutes... G2 was not perfect when it was first released as well and is still not perfectly stable, but not as much as G3 with all the patches installed.

EDIT:

badmojo wrote:

Don't you just want to go exploring?

What are you doing to me? Now I want to play it all over again 🙁 I just wish I had a machine to run it, the most powerful I have ATM is Athlon 3200+...

Reply 275 of 27594, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
Was planning on testing some P3s... this is what happened: http://i.imgur.com/FZJ5w32l.jpg […]
Show full quote

Was planning on testing some P3s... this is what happened:
FZJ5w32l.jpg

Board is shot (was junk anyway, Elitegroup with VIA chipset)... I have no idea if the P3 933 Coppermine survived, I'm guessing no.

Grrrr....

Couldn't resist...😀
PFUTZ_WAS_HERE_--_1996_Capcom_Breakshot_CPU_Board_zps2a327f2e.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 276 of 27594, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are you doing to me? Now I want to play it all over again 🙁 I just wish I had a machine to run it, the most powerful I have ATM is Athlon 3200+...

How do you deal with it?

For a main machine, once you go multicore you never go back.

Things just don't run smoothly on single core processors anymore.

In fact I am likely going to buy a C2Q to replace my C2D

Reply 277 of 27594, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received a pcmcia 10/100mbit Ethernet card a few weeks ago. Then installed pfSense (easy to use FreeBSD based router OS) onto a usb stick for my old laptop, which has single core 1.3ghz Pentium M with 512MB of ram. The only moving part left is the fan. Now this laptop is one of the best routers ever and is able to max my 100mbit connection, which my old consumer router couldn't do.

It's because of pfSense and this old laptop laying there doing nothing that I can now download stuff at 10 MB/sec. pfSense is awesome I tell you.

smeezekitty wrote:

In fact I am likely going to buy a C2Q to replace my C2D

Don't retire it completely, C2D's are awesome! But yeah, I just upgraded from a C2D on my main rig to a C2Q and its nice as well. I went from an E6400 (2.13ghz, 2 core) to a Q6600 (2.4ghz, 4 core), and the extra muscles definitely show themselves when an application can use them. Now my E6400 is in my "old school" gaming rig, which has Windows XP, 3 GB ram, and an Radeon X800 GTO, it blows through older stuff easily. Finished Resident Evil 4 on it not too long ago, was enjoyable.

My C2D will hold a special place in my heart because it lasted me for so long. I think I bought it for $220 or so back in 2006? Maybe 2007, it lasted me a long time. And they could keep on going for even longer with a strong video card that can offload HD video rendering.

Last edited by fyy on 2014-10-18, 00:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 279 of 27594, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Must use a lot of power though: relative to a router. I use a gigabit LAN and that works great. I dislike WIFI: cables is the way to do it.

A bit more sure, but the monitor is always off (case is always closed as well). I use SSH and the web interface to configure it. The Pentium M is rated at 22W. So while that's a lot relative to modern low powered processors these days, it's really not that much in the grand scheme of things. It power saves when not being strained to save even more power. It's not going to make much of a yearly difference. :p My LAN is gigabit as well thanks to my Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. Only data going to/from the internet is 100mbit, which is just fine and dandy since that's what my internet plan is rated for. Now if Google Fiber rolls in with Gigabit or something, I might have to upgrade, but otherwise, I'm good to go for a while and this old laptop gets to work a bit instead of sitting on the shelf gathering dust