VOGONS

Reply 3000 of 27558, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Captain's log, supplemental.
If the mission is successful, my crew and I will dance to the music of Huey Lewis and the News, an old Earth music group.

LMAO! Steve, please make any of your additions to this thread in this fashion in the future! 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3001 of 27558, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Tried out a GF3 Ti500 I won on eBay before Christmas. Machine won't post with it in... back to the Ti200!

Well, if you have nothing to lose, it could be worth reflowing the board in the oven 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3004 of 27558, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

If the mission is successful, my crew and I will dance to the music of Huey Lewis and the News, an old Earth music group.

LMAO! Steve, please make any of your additions to this thread in this fashion in the future! 🤣

Yes, please do vamp in character as James Tiberius Kirk. Alternately, posting in the style of Doctor Seuss would be cool as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3005 of 27558, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Yes, please do vamp in character as James Tiberius Kirk. Alternately, posting in the style of Doctor Seuss would be cool as well.

Or Douglas Adams. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3006 of 27558, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the ST1480N but it does not boot on the ST-01. Now I have no idea whether the ST-01 is bust or simply does not support the ST-1480N. I bought an AHA-1520 for $6 to test the ST1480N later this week.

Reply 3010 of 27558, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I may buy a smaller HDD to test it out.

Like a Micro-drive?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 3011 of 27558, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished organising my games collection. Cracked jewel cases replaced, split boxes repaired with book repair tape, floppies imaged and burned to a CD-R per box.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qkeGw … lrPyLsCEYk5llpM

EeK8XNCl.jpg
w26bkzVl.jpg
OGpqbTzl.jpg
nzKHodCl.jpg

Last edited by bjt on 2016-02-23, 11:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3012 of 27558, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Finished organising my games collection. Cracked jewel places replaced, split boxes repaired with book repair tape, floppies imaged and burned to a CD-R per box.

That's a museum-quality collection right there. I ditched all my boxes years ago and keep all the CDs in one of those big spindles that 100 CDRs come in. All imaged, of course. Can't really regret getting rid of the boxes as I never would have had space to store them 😒

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3013 of 27558, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

I may buy a smaller HDD to test it out.

Like a Micro-drive?

No: lower capacity. Maybe a 80MB HDD. I am first going to test the ST1480N with the AHA-1520 first though.

Reply 3014 of 27558, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found my old website;

zeffs.png
Filename
zeffs.png
File size
94.54 KiB
Views
File comment
Ancient version of my website
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Or a partial copy of it. I used to use a script which only copied updated files, so I would have to dig out the other backups to build a full version. To quote what I wrote on my blog as I can't be arsed to write it again;

It was in the process of being updated when the backup I have was taken, interestingly one of the updated assets was the image on the right (Originally, the site had very few images at an even lower resolution) and it shows the Pentium D's case when it had (I believe) the Athlon 64 installed in it. Next to it is a Pentium II which was about to head off to storage. I started this site on AOL Hometown, but the primitive ASP code suggests I had moved to DXZeff.com (Sound familiar?) and my own box by then. Sadly, with no internet and no access to my server, plus nobody to pay the bill, the update wasn't completed and the domain was closed... Not before some idiot turned off the server, which was in my house... but I had no access to my house being stuck in the kid's home at the time. Updates were made later but the site was not put back online.

There were two other sites operating on the server. One, a sub-site of my own (DXZeff.com/odds) which just had random crap on it - I suppose today you'd call it a blog, it may well be considered a forerunner to this very page - and another sub-site (DXZeff.com/trax) was for use by some guy who wanted to make a simple site about train spotting. He only had like three static pages running with one low-res image gallery, most images were hosted off-site somewhere else and I didn't give a damn. There was an older site which was still accessible on the server, my old bird watching site which probably started life around 1999 in the AOL Hometown EasyDesigner (Not 1-2-3 Publish, that sucked worse!). Interestingly, both that one and the PC site alternate between DXZeff and my other old alias on some pages (Usually only in the title or HTML) which certainly implies they are older than hell. Obviously these aren't online now so no point loading them as you'll get a 404 - but I am tempted to secretly put them back on the server for oldtime's sake as they would still run, so far as I know, given the content is mostly static. I don't have a backup of the train guy's site, all I could drag up was a very grainy picture of the train station in Hull before they butchered it even more some years ago. Pretty confident I still have archives of my other old sites though, but all of them are only partial copies as they were crappy differential backups. Without finding other backups to cobble a whole one together there will always be things missing.

An interesting point about the PC site, it shows the prices (local) for most components, citing a Quay Tec (local store) price list (these were handed out on paper and I may still have one) which proves I was right and things really were cheaper back then. Also, I think I got better at web design, but I think you would be able to tell without knowing beforehand that the same guy built that page and this one. My ugliest site was probably that color scheme's last outing as late as 2009 if I remember rightly. I did find a backup of that site too as I wanted a preloader I had set up on it, among the archives is a Gopher server I used to run, I am tempted to put one back online as the overhead is so minimal it really doesn't make any difference.

At time of writing, that is the newest post and contains the source photograph along with a still from a pre-YouTube video and a snap of an early attempt at the same technique used to create my YouTube logo and banner.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3015 of 27558, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Finished organising my games collection.

Love your collection bjt, very well curated and a nice manageable size! I really should get around to imaging all of mine, but I have something like 170 big box games and a further 70 or so in DVD boxes or jewel cases...

Reply 3016 of 27558, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trying various methods of capturing Windows 9x games over HDMI using an Elgato Game Capture HD60. This thing will not accept a direct 640x480 DVI feed, which requires me to use all sorts of conversion methods with VGA and DVI using two different converters, a cheapie (Lenkeng LKV351 Pro) and an expensive converter praised by retro gamers (Micomsoft XRGB-Mini). I'm in the process of posting some of these on YouTube to get people's impressions on which conversion method looks best. So far, I have posted a video showing the LKV351 Pro converting 640x480 VGA (I honestly don't like running higher resolutions on older games) from a GeForce FX5500 to HDMI at 1080p with doublescan enabled on the FX5500 (this gives a much sharper picture), and the result is this: https://youtu.be/IpDTBVFDUaM

Right now, I'm about to record the XRGB-Mini converting 640x480 DVI to HDMI at 1080p (with a large border I will have to crop out in post-production)

At the same time, I'm preparing a new Slot 1 build based around the Soyo SY-6BA+ motherboard with a mod I plan to install to run the AGP slot at a fixed 66MHz when the FSB of the 440BX is set to 133MHz.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 3017 of 27558, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried Screamer with accelerated 3D for the first time using a S3 Virge DX with the patch listed in vetz' thread: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Used to play that game on the family's 486 DX2 66MHz at 320x200 res.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3018 of 27558, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Tried Screamer with accelerated 3D for the first time using a S3 Virge DX with the patch listed in vetz' thread: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Used to play that game on the family's 486 DX2 66MHz at 320x200 res.

For me this was the best pre-accelerated-era game I ever played. It flew along on very modest hardware considering the rendering was 100% software. It was a complete blast. I wonder how sophisticated software rendering could have become were it not for 3dfx.

Reply 3019 of 27558, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ace wrote:

Been trying various methods of capturing Windows 9x games over HDMI using an Elgato Game Capture HD60.

I think I mentioned this in the capture thread.

I found that this device is really only good for TV resolutions such as 720p and 1080p. It does 1080p60 though. On newer gear (Windows XP and higher) you can let the GPU do the scaling which works great.

For older 4:3 resolutions AVerMedia capture cards are much better. Apart from the very latest Extreme unit. That one also only takes TV resolutions, which is a real shame.

I have a scaler also, the one from StarTech, might be similar to the one you have. I noticed that it doesn't do 60 fps, but I think that is at higher resolutions only. The main advantage is that it's a scaler, so it's great when you record a session installing Windows, entering the BIOS, installing drivers, trying a game and want to capture everything in one hit.

YouTube, Facebook, Website