VOGONS

Reply 3560 of 27673, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I completed Realms of the Haunting on my Pentium 66... Just as the rickety IDE drive decided it had enough, luckily this was all I wanted from it. I have now started moving the system over to SCSI thanks to a recent trade, DOS boots reliably and I am about to install WFW 3.11 on the system again. It's bloody fast on this SCSI drive.

Also listened to some Vinyl records on my old Sanyo; namely Mozart - Sinfonia Concertante and Symphony No.29... In short, real music. Not sure the neighbors approve of hearing this at such a late hour, I did try to keep the volume down but it's hard not to ramp up classical music. Probably think they live next door to a serial killer now.

I shall also look into an audio problem which has developed. At the end of RotH the audio became distorted and quiet and it didn't go away when I quit the game. I am not sure if it was a one-off bug or if the sound card has broken - either the PAS or the Audigy 2. I'd rather the Audigy 2 had died as it was busted anyway and should be retiring before the year is out. Nothing seemed hot or appeared visually damaged on the PAS anyway, so here's hoping. I'll stick my headphones into the jack after I've finished moving over to SCSI and see if that sounds OK, if it does the I'm just going to write it off as another dead input on the Audigy.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3561 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting some quality time on System Shock level 8. I can feel the end is near! Had to mount the headphones to be able to hear myself play, as I share a gaming room with my son who is loudly skyping with buddies while playing first person shooters. 😲

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3562 of 27673, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

boom-headshot-o.gif

At least, that's how I used to do it.

My floppy drive just died, had a feeling it was going out. Luckily, I pillaged a spare from a neighbors trash when they moved out, so it's no big deal.

Reply 3563 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/744929/boom-headshot-o.gif […]
Show full quote

boom-headshot-o.gif

At least, that's how I used to do it.

My floppy drive just died, had a feeling it was going out. Luckily, I pillaged a spare from a neighbors trash when they moved out, so it's no big deal.

Yep! That's pretty much it! 🤣.

That's the crappy part of retro computing...old stuff tends to die in waves, but if you're resourceful (as you've shown you are), just plug in a spare and move along. Well done, Mr. Treason.

Reply 3564 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best part is he's wearing his headphones, so I just hear his end of the conversation, and the headphones are up so loud he sounds like he's having a conversation at a rock concert.

Reply 3565 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woohoo! Just beat System Shock. 😀

Reply 3566 of 27673, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really need to play that again.

Finally finished installing WFW, took longer than expected because my CD burner wouldn't play ball. Then the system locked up, seems my LAN card is playing up now... FFFFFUUUUUU!!! This is a Socket 4 machine, you'd expect the motherboard and CPU to be the first thing to play up, but it's everything else. As luck would have it, I have another ISA adapter as well as having a PCI slot left (I have an abundance of PCI cards) so I can put it right if the card is actually dead. However, I changed the PCI IRQ table and I think I've been ignorant and assigned the unused slot the same IRQ as the network card, which would explain why the lockup is random, no idea and I'm tired so I'll fix it tomorrow. The system wants to work anyway and that's what matters, plus I'm starting to like the system even more than I did already, seems the ones that are just a little annoying to set up end up being the ones I like best. I like this one second best after my U5S machine.

Ugh, the joys of computing with old hardware, there's always a lot of pressing buttons in the dark involved.

Edit: Couldn't help myself. Yeah, I had assigned the empty slot IRQ11 without thinking, which was the IRQ used by the Ethernet card. Probably did this when I stripped out the NCR BIOS. Not sure how well it works yet but it didn't lock on starting windows, so good omens so far.

Still going. Forgot to copy the TCP stack over, but I'll just grab it with a DOS FTP client. Damn this thing is fast.

Reply 3567 of 27673, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made more progress on my Genesis to Gameport adaptor project. Got everything soldered onto the protoboard. Loaded a bunch of throwaway test programs onto the Arduino and confirmed connectivity by verifying it was creating square waves on the proper pins and NOT any other pins 😀.

vvSUfwbHlgV9xHQFNRmynuMxdH0c9Svj8b8A1izOGTfPJui4JjRA1xlqDBBWV5p1hGohxSSpVF7Pqhi6qUwYdCFkmT5K8xBq5GjVJqq2t0GZLjKYZlFg0_OaSJnwndLim0S8qotnCSa4SdslSOpVb2KYYTRTT8ScoOAxOTruVmoc8dLtw69lR5X8Ft67K4S25eyfYVvoLosXc726wbBhPIXOqrJ0HKy81Q626jkT1uK1kGDEF0re2X5p4K0CaW3YyRQ5KdEB2Okak9HGUtubiZUeEr3-X2lhcXJs6ChENoqKQEJ30N8XHNgOdOamJUWLrGKBYhB6Rz0q6hxPAYQIRPOrYLzDcY576inFIdHJuEzaMzqCI0as7Dq9hxtfFWyqJI2QhDkl7ByffLmUIV5o48VNu9AkLSOnvJTr_TF5MTlj_oGTx-RVYqDdR7NWA4fYGEXrERlGe-AKxlFJ-RozVBQaZStUaToXVY_-ioZIGRT0LrMWhuBWpQtwAxBXCVveG9Oi1nWovXjBwbtTdfLRjMyv-z2WFgooLP-8jcXAu_mi3jEnNdKuIeHddf2Tpi2Ca52Q=w775-h582-no
dpPK6pa2x3mfOcaa0melR4gwgN4o7m8hCD2KLnSLtWV58SpCkW3REH8puXe0nIluTGHGQMR4aXs3GmnROyX1oHSaa6MvoS3JTbJ7EHVbUti2qvQSVsEIyFfpK2QiztYaDQynLbuZgxW7MnygOC3Li_Qie587XN1s6a0cHKCfuCSvrblKzDffcPS-bpJUAOd58iMzKueN2Xt9gYE8JMDYTAc3HgNAVG2otPaLtMrCTEZYRsBpIIThnw_RfJx8aESNxAec71yli7zPkSvJ-wop4p5RsttSTvQfBXMRPtnwuCJiS6_exnTd2HQ5tWJe-EgK0HcfbTGt89-HMFn74kyUAxbktd92oRS4waHNdv541wKdsEadn_ZovUDdVVDHao4TBI9b9eOihoQJSJ7fB9mem_9gbArpdy-O3s9gTANpgJ1FXP7QFpF-rxu26tL4DCXFkG3zqz8QCjNajGs3FKbJ-mTIEyJA53Gt8cxF1rDvRls2J7-iZVfiw0KzRMg8dqlOKOyEFKgZTXBi64EQROJCDNeuyn9J7OYbSyub05wkGqAqnVXmIC9kr22OYv9Wq8RtpU1w=w733-h551-no

Tomorrow I will solder it up to the ports and start functional testing. I'll probably need to shorten some of those wires too 😐

Reply 3568 of 27673, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started work on testing the Amiga 500 core for the Mist FPGA computer. It works really well, but the icing on the cake is if you hook it up to a CRT monitor. OMG the Mist really needs to be used with a CRT monitor. I had an Amiga 500 back in the day and this IS like the real thing, but with a lot of convenient extras!

Filming a CRT screen is a pain, but direct captures don't really show what's going on.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00047.png
    Filename
    vlcsnap-00047.png
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Apidya on the Mist FPGA on a CRT monitor
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3569 of 27673, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I It's bloody fast on this SCSI drive.

Shame it's not a 10,000rpm drive. Those things scream along.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3570 of 27673, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did look up the speed and noted it was 7200RPM. To be honest, I doubt much of anything noticeable would happen on a faster drive here, the computer isn't that fast anyway. Almost everything is instantaneous already.

At least, until Windows 7's crappy netcode gets involved;

WIN7NET.png
Filename
WIN7NET.png
File size
34.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 7's netcode being shitty again.
File license

I can't wait until I get that damn Athlon set up after I move and I can go back to 98 for this kind of thing, this Windows 7 is bloody useless at nearly everything, it can't even grasp how to write to a FAT16 file system properly, it pisses and moans about things like that constantly. But the DOS/Win31/9X machines? They just sit there and do as they're told most of the time, even when I'm trying to make them do stuff they're not meant to do - they'll even read NTFS drives with minimal issues. It isn't like most of this stuff hasn't been standardized for years now, so fuck knows why they suddenly can't get it right any more as of 2009.

I should benchmark the drive in the machine to see how fast it actually goes, I expect it to push well into double figures anyway.

Reply 3571 of 27673, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was out in the yard today! Growing my own carrots, peas, beets, green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and rhubarb this year.

Not exactly a retro activity on its own, but listening to a wonderful playlist comprised of the Moody Blues/CSNY/Grateful Dead/Renaissance/T. Rex/ELO makes it so! 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3572 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Organizing my DOS games today. I originally had one partition (C:) for games published from 1990 to 1993, and another partition (E:) for games published from 1994-1997, but the latter was out of space, so I moved the 1994 games to C:. That gives me roughly 500MB free space on each partition. The D: partition has a special job--it houses Wing Commander III (1.8GB) so it can play entirely from the HDD. Worst comes to worst, I can pop out one more partition and move my CD-ROM from F: to G:.

Reply 3573 of 27673, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sent my MT32 dac trimmer pcb to oshpark fab. will see in a month how much noise it reduces it by or if its worthless 😀

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3574 of 27673, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has been going on for a while now... slowly packing things into larger boxes, labelling and moving everything for temporary storage to my parents house.

I know I have loads of everything but this is getting ridiculous 🤣 I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have enough space in my new place 😲 😊

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3575 of 27673, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

This has been going on for a while now... slowly packing things into larger boxes, labelling and moving everything for temporary storage to my parents house.

I know I have loads of everything but this is getting ridiculous 🤣 I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have enough space in my new place 😲 😊

Packing stuff into large boxes is super nice! 15 years from now you will find so much useful stuff you had forgot you ever owned! 🤣

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3576 of 27673, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
kixs wrote:

Packing stuff into large boxes is super nice! 15 years from now you will find so much useful stuff you had forgot you ever owned! 🤣

🤣

I'm pretty confident that I know what I have... at least the important stuff. But when I look at the boxes and a pile of AT/ATX cases... then I'm not so sure any more 😊

If all goes to plan I'll move into "new" man cave sometime this summer and then arrange everything so nothing gets left behind 😁 This time I'll have a full room for myself... which is much much more then now - a corner in the living room - I might take a picture of it as it's getting more empty and "normal" again 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3577 of 27673, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have spent alot of time trying to get my Juko Nest Turbo XT board working, not having much luck.

As I wanted to see if the 41256 parity chips and 8 of the many 44256 chips I have used when testing the XT clone still worked I put them in a Chips chipset 286 motherboard with an Intel 286 12 MHz. I also wanted to test a multi I/O card that came with the latest scrap lot I bought a few weeks ago. This is not the 286 motherboard I borrowed the parity chips from but another that complained over having no parity chips when I tried to test it to see if it worked right after I got it.

This motherboard came in a scrap lot I bought 4-5 months ago and there is no obvious way to disable parity although the board has an advanced BIOS for a 12 MHz 286. I perhaps found the parity setting just now (tinkering with it as I write), "AUX parity ---> enabled/disabled" set by changing bit 6 at adress 46H from 0 to 1. I love this BIOS, SCAT is a name it dosn't deserve!

The motherboard is marked "FM-2 R0" (or perhaps RO) but I cant find it in TH99 or anywhere else. The BIOS chip is marked 1986 but looking at the size of board I would say it's a much later model, perhaps from 1990-1991, the 12 MHz Intel 286 CPU seems to be from week 33 1990.

This is how the motherboard looks on the "test bench", also known as "on top of the working XT clone system"

Chips chipset motherboard Intel 286 12 MHz.JPG
Filename
Chips chipset motherboard Intel 286 12 MHz.JPG
File size
4.45 MiB
Views
File license

This motherboard seems to work perfectly and look at that video performance in Landmark, not bad for a 12 MHz 286!

Chips chipset motherbiard Intel 286 12 MHz Landmark.JPG
Filename
Chips chipset motherbiard Intel 286 12 MHz Landmark.JPG
File size
4 MiB
Views
File license

Edit

With the "AUX parity bit" set to disabled the video performance improved from an already high level...

Does anyone have a 12 MHz 286 with better video performance in Landmark ? 😀

Chips chipset motherbiard Intel 286 12 MHz Landmark Parity disabled.JPG
Filename
Chips chipset motherbiard Intel 286 12 MHz Landmark Parity disabled.JPG
File size
4.13 MiB
Views
File license

/Edit

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3578 of 27673, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today i was being busy on testing some purchased ISA 8-bit cards in my laser XT 8086 /3.. And dumped 3 roms as backup.

Lately iam not so active anymore.. Because i have lot to do, and dont know where to start.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2016-05-01, 01:53. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3579 of 27673, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upgraded the hard drive in my WinXP Gog box to a 500GB VelociRaptor. This drive was the boot drive in my son's (modern) gaming PC, but he got it so loaded up with Steam games that he had less than 70GB free. So I bought him a 1TB Seagate SSHD, migrated his install to it, then reaped the spoils of leftovers for myself. 😉 I had a 250GB Seagate 7200.10 as my original boot drive, so we both got doubled capacity for $65.